Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited March 2013
    Tonebone said:

Dman said:

Tonebone said:

Also have been reading some non fiction... about Scientology.

Tonebone, how's the Scientology stuff? Good reading?

Yeah.. I've read Church of Fear by John Sweeny, and Going Clear by Lawrence Wright. The Sweeny book is about his making of a documentary for the BBC, but the one I really recommend is Going Clear, all about Hubbard, the church, and the Hollywood connection.
    I'm currently reading Going Clear. It's so fascinating I can hardly put it down. L. Ron Hubbard was nuts!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. Good so far, but the library sent me the large print edition, so it's kinda like the book is yelling at me!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited March 2013
    Just wrapped up Some Golden Harbor by David Drake. I've been a fan of Drake since discovering Hammer's Slammers in the early 80's. I'm incredibly happy that he's in a better place than he was when he was writing the Slammers books, but I honestly think that his writing has suffered for his improved mental health. Much as was the case with the Lord of the Isles books, the Leary/Mundy RCN novels are all conceived to be interelated but stand alone novels. That makes them pretty accessible, with just enough callback to previous books to make the idea of going back to any missed previous books appealing. Unfortunately, it also means that he reiterates character traits in every book and sometimes multiple times in any one book.

Next up: Glen Cook's An Empire Unacquainted with Defeat.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    hauberk said:

Just wrapped up Some Golden Harbor by David Drake. I've been a fan of Drake since discovering Hammer's Slammers in the early 80's. I'm incredibly happy that he's in a better place than he was when he was writing the Slammers books, but I honestly think that his writing has suffered for his improved mental health. Much as was the case with the Lord of the Isles books, the Leary/Mundy RCN novels are all conceived to be interelated but stand alone novels. That makes them pretty accessible, with just enough callback to previous books to make the idea of going back to any missed previous books appealing. Unfortunately, it also means that he reiterates character traits in every book and sometimes multiple times in any one book.

Big fan of the Leary/Mundy books.

Is (Wordy Title) a new series from Cook?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

Big fan of the Leary/Mundy books.

Is (Wordy Title) a new series from Cook?
    If it has Drake's name on it, I'll buy it and read it and probably really enjoy it. I'm just getting tired of the stand alone conceit that causes me to be repeatedly told that Mundy doesn't really have any attachment to life or property and it's only her loyalty to Leary and crew that keeps her from going off the deep end in a suicidal blaze of bad-assery.

As far as Cook goes, nope. It's a collection of the short story works from the Dread Empire series. I'm also a huge fan of Cook. The Black Company books are extraordinary and have led me to most of his other works, though I haven't embraced the Garrett P.I. books - I'm not huge on cross-genre stuff (though I may try again - I've really enjoyed Cherryh's Foreigner books and they're certainly cross-genre political thriller - SF works.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

If it has Drake's name on it, I'll buy it and read it and probably really enjoy it. I'm just getting tired of the stand alone conceit that causes me to be repeatedly told that Mundy doesn't really have any attachment to life or property and it's only her loyalty to Leary and crew that keeps her from going off the deep end in a suicidal blaze of bad-assery.

Read some David Weber, and you'll be so repeated-out that you won't even notice Drake's recaps. The one I'm reading currently (Shadow of Something or Other) actually has an entire chapter cut-and-pasted from the previous book.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

Read some David Weber, and you'll be so repeated-out that you won't even notice Drake's recaps. The one I'm reading currently (Shadow of Something or Other) actually has an entire chapter cut-and-pasted from the previous book.
    I have. Dropped out after Honor got back from the prison camp. Kills me to have done so. I really enjoyed the first several books.

• Options
    Keeping up with my Star Wars crusade, I've recently finished The Old Republic: Annihilation and The Last Jedi. Both were OK, but certain things felt off with both.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Just finished Richard Stark's The Dame. It wasn't that good, and I really like Grofield in the Parkerverse. It was a neat little experiment at a "whodonit" that he couldn't do with Parker, but ultimately it failed.

Next up is either James Crumley or George Pelecancos
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    hauberk said:

I had never even heard of David Drake till back in 2010. He was the author guest at Coast Con. Went to his panel and he is a entertaining guy. Even if he got sorta pissy when I said "Sci Fi" instead of science fiction. Still need to read some of his books.

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I have to skip volume 13 of Moorcock's Eternal Champion series since I don't have a copy, and proceed on to volume 14: Earl Aubec And Other Stories.
  • Options

I have to skip volume 13 of Moorcock's Eternal Champion series since I don't have a copy, and proceed on to volume 14: Earl Aubec And Other Stories.

Which edition are you reading? Wasn't Earl Aubec and Other Stories the 13th volume of the White Wolf edition, followed by the Chronicles of Castle Brass?

I've read a pretty good number of the Eternal Champion books, but most were in their original formats and not the revised omnibus editions. Never managed to make it through the Cornelius books or the Dancers at the End of Time series. They were a bit too... abstract? avant garde?
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Which edition are you reading? Wasn't Earl Aubec and Other Stories the 13th volume of the White Wolf edition, followed by the Chronicles of Castle Brass?

I've read a pretty good number of the Eternal Champion books, but most were in their original formats and not the revised omnibus editions. Never managed to make it through the Cornelius books or the Dancers at the End of Time series. They were a bit too... abstract? avant garde?
    I'm reading the White Wolf editions, and they list Earl Aubec as #14; The last Hawkmoon chronicle, Count Brass, is #15. The list they include inside the book is as follows:

1) The Eternal Champion
    2) Von Bek
    3) Hawkmoon
    4) A Nomad Of The Time Streams
    5) Elric: Song Of The Black Sword
    6) The Roads Between The Worlds
    7) Corum: The Coming Of Chaos
    8) Sailing To Utopia
    9) Kane Of Old Mars
    10) The Dancers At The End Of Time
    11) Elric: The Stealer Of Souls
    12) The Prince With The Silver Hand
    13) Legends From The End Of Time
    14) Earl Aubec
    15) Count Brass

I don't have either of the Dancers volumes, not out of choice but because I was unable to get them at the time I acquired the rest of the series -- same is true with Count Brass, but that, at least, I have in paperbacks.
  • Options
    @mwhitt80
    mwhitt80 said:

I've got 2 books from Christmas that I'm excited to read. James Crumley's Wrong Case (it's main character is Milo, which I think is CW's old PI partner)

Found The Last Country (a Milo novel) at the library, and two more at a used bookstore, one of which features both characters.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    WetRats said:

Found The Last Country (a Milo novel) at the library, and two more at a used bookstore, one of which features both characters.

I started reading A Firing Offense by George Pelecanos (he is probably more famous for writing the penultimate episodes for every season of the Wire. Wallace thanks him).
    I've not gotten very far into the book yet. I got side tracked by work, an early Mack Bolan book (which I enjoyed a lot), and Game of Thrones on dvd. April and tax season makes reaing more serious novels nearly impossible.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Breezed right through True Crime by Max Allan Collins. If you enjoy hardboiled detective novels in period settings, I'd recommend this and the other Nate Heller books. Anyone who enjoyed Public Enemies by Brian Burroughs will especially like this one, as it delves into the gangster epidemic of the 1930s. I never thought of Collins as that great of a writer (maybe it's because he's written so many movie adaptations, which is a type of writing I've always viewed as done just for the money), but I have to admit that he crafts a solid story, and I'm always surprised multiple times by clues and twists that were right in front of me the whole time.

Currently reading Marvel Comics: The Untold Story. It's good so far, but it's moving a lot faster than I ever expected. It's my understanding that it spends the bulk of its time in the '70s, probably because there were more people available to interview, but I'm a little disappointed at how fast it's ripping through the Lee/Kirby/Ditko era. Sixty pages in and Ditko's already quit Spider-Man. I feel like we've jumped past an era that could have been scrutinized more, but it seems like the writer's more interested in what he can get from interviews, not analyzing the work itself. Still a fun read so far, though. I find myself still sympathetic for Kirby, but I was surprised that I found myself thinking that perhaps Ditko created a lot of his own problems. Lee may have hogged the credit and the money, but Ditko sounds really difficult to work with, with his rigid political views making him needlessly anti-social. I'm not a fan of his beliefs anyway, but there are plenty of people who share them and yet seem to be able to conduct themselves in a more personable, productive manner.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    The Hardcore Truth by Robert Howard AKA Bob Holly

Bob Holly spent 16 years working for the biggest wrestling company in the world. And in this book he doesn't hold back,telling all kinds of stories.
  • Options
    mclay782mclay782 Posts: 3
    Hi everybody!!...new to the site, but feel like this feed is like an old boot...been devouring some good books here in the last couple months..Here's the best of, in my opinion: Any China Mieville novel...this man has one of the most colorful/twisted minds for fantasy that Ive seen in years.
    The Warded Man series...very decent
    The Wheel of Time: ending finally...:)
    Mistborn Trigoly
    Ready Player One..dont remember author, but a good read for children of the 70's 80's video game era
    All I can remember without breaking out the kindle but these are just fantasy...have delved into some Philip K. Dickish near future stuff too.....the Amped/Wired series is really good
  • Options
    mclay782mclay782 Posts: 3
    Also just read the other day that China Mieville will be writing for the DC New 52 Dial H...super stoked
  • Options
    mclay782 said:

Also just read the other day that China Mieville will be writing for the DC New 52 Dial H...super stoked

You're getting your news a little late. He has been writing Dial H for almost a year now. The book's 11th issue just came out.

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Right now I am reading both "Turn Coat" which is from the Dresden Files and I am reading "Immortal Lycanthropes" by Hal Johnson. Both are pretty cool so far.
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Posts: 10
    The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan

The third book in the Wheel of Time series, excellent story for those that like a lot of depth (or pages) in their stories. The books get a little bogged down towards the middle, but the story picks up and I'm looking forward to the just released conclusion.

The Black Company by Glen Cook

Excellent series, told in a slighty different way than the usual fantasy stuff.

Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell

Good historical fiction, gritty like George RR Martin, but with out the magic and fantasy elements.
    chrisw said:

Currently reading Marvel Comics: The Untold Story. It's good so far, but it's moving a lot faster than I ever expected. It's my understanding that it spends the bulk of its time in the '70s, probably because there were more people available to interview, but I'm a little disappointed at how fast it's ripping through the Lee/Kirby/Ditko era. Sixty pages in and Ditko's already quit Spider-Man. I feel like we've jumped past an era that could have been scrutinized more, but it seems like the writer's more interested in what he can get from interviews, not analyzing the work itself. Still a fun read so far, though. I find myself still sympathetic for Kirby, but I was surprised that I found myself thinking that perhaps Ditko created a lot of his own problems. Lee may have hogged the credit and the money, but Ditko sounds really difficult to work with, with his rigid political views making him needlessly anti-social. I'm not a fan of his beliefs anyway, but there are plenty of people who share them and yet seem to be able to conduct themselves in a more personable, productive manner.

I was thinking about picking that up, but if all you got out of that was Lee was a hog, Kirby needed sympathy and Ditko was flakey, I might have to pass as that is a pretty simplistic and well off the mark description of those guys (well, ok, maybe Ditko WAS a bit flakey), poor Don Heck always gets left out.

This isn't the thread to hash that stuff out though, but if you want to read some good history of the above gentlemen, I suggest the following reading material:
    Excelsiorby Stan Lee & George Mair
    Kirby, The King of Comicsby Mark Evanier
    Strange and Stranger, The world of Steve Ditkoby Blake Bell

For Comics history I would suggest:
    The Comic Book Heroesby Jules Pfiffer
    Steranko's, History of Comicsby Jim Steranko

If you're lookin to read interviews with the creative people from the 40's, 50's and 60's as well as from people from the 70's,to get the real stories from the people who were there, I suggest these magazines:
    Alter Ego
    Back Issue
    I also like the Jack Kirby Collector, but some of the contributing columnists tend to skew the facts as to favor Kirby, but the artwork it showcases is amazing.

I think comics history is essential for a comics fan. IMHO.
  • Options
    papajay said:

The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan

The third book in the Wheel of Time series, excellent story for those that like a lot of depth (or pages) in their stories. The books get a little bogged down towards the middle, but the story picks up and I'm looking forward to the just released conclusion.

The Black Company by Glen Cook

Excellent series, told in a slighty different way than the usual fantasy stuff.

Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell

Good historical fiction, gritty like George RR Martin, but with out the magic and fantasy elements.

chrisw said:

I was thinking about picking that up, but if all you got out of that was Lee was a hog, Kirby needed sympathy and Ditko was flakey, I might have to pass as that is a pretty simplistic and well off the mark description of those guys (well, ok, maybe Ditko WAS a bit flakey), poor Don Heck always gets left out.

This isn't the thread to hash that stuff out though, but if you want to read some good history of the above gentlemen, I suggest the following reading material:
    Excelsiorby Stan Lee & George Mair
    Kirby, The King of Comicsby Mark Evanier
    Strange and Stranger, The world of Steve Ditkoby Blake Bell

For Comics history I would suggest:
    The Comic Book Heroesby Jules Pfiffer
    Steranko's, History of Comicsby Jim Steranko

If you're lookin to read interviews with the creative people from the 40's, 50's and 60's as well as from people from the 70's,to get the real stories from the people who were there, I suggest these magazines:
    Alter Ego
    Back Issue
    I also like the Jack Kirby Collector, but some of the contributing columnists tend to skew the facts as to favor Kirby, but the artwork it showcases is amazing.

I think comics history is essential for a comics fan. IMHO.
    Actually, I was a little quick to judge, as they did end up covering things in a little more detail, at least during the time between Ditko's leaving and Kirby's. I'm guessing the lack of detail leading up to Ditko's quitting is probably due to an inability to obtain interviews with anyone able or willing to offer much insight. The chapter after that goes into Lee's struggles to adapt to the changing times, and went deeper into the comics themselves, which I find more interesting than the same old stories about disgruntled employees.

Lee comes off not so much as a credit hog, but as businessman who just happened to also be creative, so, he approaches ownership of the material quite literally. He wrote it, he was the editor, they were the artists. Therefore, he was entitled to the rewards, and they were hired to do a job. It also sounds like Marvel's practices were no different than any other publisher's had been since the birth of the industry. Most creators simply didn't participate in the profits of their work. It would have been awesome if Silver Age Marvel had broken that mold, but it didn't, and there was probably no reason they felt they needed to.

And as much as I feel sympathy for Kirby, there's also a part of me that thinks his failure to stand up for himself more perhaps created more problems than they should have in the long run. I think all those years of struggling for work scared him from ever rocking the boat too much.

You're right to recommend Alter Ego and Back Issue, though. The Marvel book, while enjoyable, is still telling me stuff I basically already knew. AE and BI go much deeper.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited April 2013
    Right now I'm alternating between Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan, which is kinda-sorta like "The Da Vinci Code" for nerds and/or bibliophiles, and Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, a coming-of-age high school love story thing. Not my usual cuppa, but it's really well-written and the main characters initially bond over music and comics (it takes place in 1986, and they are absolutely blown away by Watchmen).
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Wrapped up Cook's An Empire Unacquanted with Defeat. I very much enjoyed it, particulary the story from which the title was taken A Soldier from An Empire Unacquanted with Defeat. My only real complaint is with the cover description referencing extensive story notes. If a short paragraph (in some cases 1-2 sentences) per story is extensive story notes, OK, I suppose, but that's not my definition of extensive.

Unfortunately, I appear to have found the Dread Empire books a bit late as it appears that Nightshade Books is liquidating assets as they start to navigate bankruptcy. End result, I'm likely to, once more, end up with differing trade dresses on my shelf. It was going to be annoying enough with two separate sizes (latest trilogy is about 1/2" shorter).

Next up Daniel Abraham's The King's Blood.
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Posts: 10
    chrisw said:

It also sounds like Marvel's practices were no different than any other publisher's had been since the birth of the industry. Most creators simply didn't participate in the profits of their work. It would have been awesome if Silver Age Marvel had broken that mold, but it didn't, and there was probably no reason they felt they needed to.

You're are so right about that, dude, y'know I think I'll pick up that Marvel book after all. I feel there is so little interest in comic book history (the CGS award for best publication about comics goes to a catalogue) that this kind of stuff needs to be supported.

• Options
    This week I read Junot Diaz'sBrief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao and This is How You Lose Her based on some pretty high recommendations, but despite his great descriptions I was put off by overuse of the n-bomb and lost in the numerous Spanish references (although if I hailed from an Hispanic community within one of the larger cities here in the US I am sure I would really enjoy the depth, emotion, and color they add to the narrative).
  • Options
    papajay said:

chrisw said:

It also sounds like Marvel's practices were no different than any other publisher's had been since the birth of the industry. Most creators simply didn't participate in the profits of their work. It would have been awesome if Silver Age Marvel had broken that mold, but it didn't, and there was probably no reason they felt they needed to.

You're are so right about that, dude, y'know I think I'll pick up that Marvel book after all. I feel there is so little interest in comic book history (the CGS award for best publication about comics goes to a catalogue) that this kind of stuff needs to be supported.

I interrupted my reading of Earl Aubec to purchase and read the Marvel book; it was quite insightful, and I was unable to put it down until I finished it. Highly recommended
  • Options

papajay said:

chrisw said:

I interrupted my reading of Earl Aubec to purchase and read the Marvel book; it was quite insightful, and I was unable to put it down until I finished it. Highly recommended
    It really picks up when it hits the '70s. Much more detail, lots more interviews. I just reached the point where Shooter's been made EIC. I'm hoping the '80s have just as much info, as that's when I discovered Marvel.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

papajay said:

chrisw said:

It really picks up when it hits the '70s. Much more detail, lots more interviews. I just reached the point where Shooter's been made EIC. I'm hoping the '80s have just as much info, as that's when I discovered Marvel.
    For the most part, the book is excellent, but it has its odd skips. I was surprised that George Perez got such slight mention, as if his contributions didn't mean a whole lot. And there was nothing at all about Carmine Infantino working there in the late 70's; I would have thought having DC's premiere artist of the 50's and 60's, former art director and former publisher working on several of their titles, especially the Star Wars book, would have merited some comment. Still, it was an engrossing read.