Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited September 2014
    I just finished Ready Player One That was a really fun book. I've had the ebook sitting on my nook since it was released and just got around to reading it. I wish I would have read it sooner

I'm currently reading Bad Monkey by Carl Hiaasen. I love his books; it's like reading an episode of COPS in Jacksonville or Dade Co. .

Quick question: Are Hiaasen's YA books good? Amazon has them for $4.00-$7.00 a piece and was thinking about grabbing them.
  • Options
    My wife is blasting through the Hiassen YA novels. She liked Hoot.

I finished Bad Monkey, which was really enjoyable. Now I'm trying to actually finish Len Deighton's Mexico Set. This will be my 3rd attempt at finishing it. I always put it down because I get sidetracked; I really enjoyed Berlin Game and the WOOCP books I've read.
  • Options
    Just started The Honourable Schoolboy by John Le Carre. So far so good.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Been working through the Robert B. Parker "Spenser" novels this year. I've just finished Playmates which is #17 I think. The first couple I read were out of order (#33 and #23 respectively) before I went back and started at the beginning. I'm dreading the introduction of Pearl the Wonder Dog a little bit. It feels a little like Spenser's jump the shark moment.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Read the newest Dresden novel a few weeks ago.
    Stalking the nightmareby Harlan Ellison is my current read. After that I got Deathbird Stories up next.
  • Options
    I finshed Mexico Set and am half through London Match the Samson trilogy is really good.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'm just about through the Longmire novels.

I have really enjoyed them.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    random73 said:

Been working through the Robert B. Parker "Spenser" novels this year. I've just finished Playmates which is #17 I think. The first couple I read were out of order (#33 and #23 respectively) before I went back and started at the beginning. I'm dreading the introduction of Pearl the Wonder Dog a little bit. It feels a little like Spenser's jump the shark moment.

???

How can you not love Pearl?

Pearl actually had a pretty cool introduction.

However she can't hold a candle to Walt Longmire's dog, Dog or Harry Dresden's dog, Mouse.*

*Okay, I guess technically, Harry is Mouse's wizard.
  • Options
    I havn't gotten to Pearl's intro yet I just know it has to be coming up soon.

Mouse is, if fact, an altogether different breed of awesome.
  • Options
    Skinwalkers by Tony Hillerman. My first of his.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    random73 said:

I've only read a few of his books but have very much enjoyed them. I love the fact that so many of the crises in the books could be solved with a cell phone and/or a battery powered watch.

• Options
    hauberk said:

random73 said:

I've only read a few of his books but have very much enjoyed them. I love the fact that so many of the crises in the books could be solved with a cell phone and/or a battery powered watch.

a product of their place in space and time?
  • Options
    It's funny that you say that becasue Leaphorn is even now racing to a far flung corner of the reservation to warn Jim Chee of potential danger. Cell phone=no drama.
  • Options
    random73 said:

It's funny that you say that becasue Leaphorn is even now racing to a far flung corner of the reservation to warn Jim Chee of potential danger. Cell phone=no drama.

random73 said:

Truth. I've finished the first three books and really dug them. All the more so after a recent trip to AZ.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

random73 said:

random73 said:

Truth. I've finished the first three books and really dug them. All the more so after a recent trip to AZ.
    Cool. I'm hopping back over to the Spenser side and finishing up Stardust (number 17 in the series I think). I started it a week or so ago but got sidetracked when I found a couple Hillerman novels in my local used bookstore for $2.50. I couldn't pass it up.

I may have mentioned before that my goal every year is to read 52 books. I usually don't make it, actually I've never made it. The closest I've gotten was 50. This year I'm on track at 42 for the year, so far. I've been tracking my reading since Oct. 1996. The Hillerman book was #541 since I started, I believe. It is fun going back and looking at those titles and remembering where I was and what was going on at the time.
  • Options
    Finished Stardust. Staring Fear Itself By Walter Mosley. This is Fearless Jones book 2 of 3. Set in 1950's LA. Good stuff.
  • Options
    So after having seen A Walk Among the Tombstones I went to check out some Lawrence Block (Writer). I picked up his first Matthew Scudder novel Sins of the Father’s on Amazon cheap and damn it is good. If I didn’t have to remain gainfully employed I would have read the whole thing in a sitting. He also wrote (or co-wrote) the 1990 Captain America (with the Italian Red Skull).

I'll go back to Mosley when I'm done.
  • Options
    Okay I lied about going back to Mosley. I went stright to Matthew Scudder #2 Time to Murder and Create.
  • Options
    On the fourth of the Expanse books - Cibola Burn by James S.A. Corey. Not entirely sure where this one is going yet. Has a potential to be political thriller between two factions, could be straight up mystery and could quickly turn into horror. Looking forward to the ride as the previous three were really enjoyable.
  • Options
    This is what I've read so far this year:

01) Split Second by Alex Kava 1/11/14 (Maggie O'Dell #2)
    02) The Yard by Alex Grecian 01/30/14 (Murder Squad #1)
    03) At The Stroke of Madness by Alex Kava 02/08/14 (Maggie O'Dell #4)
    04) School Days by Robert B. Parker 02/12/14 (Spenser #33)
    05) Chance by Robert B. Parker 02/19/14 (Spenser #23)
    06) The Godwulf Manuscript by Robert B. Parker 02/22/14 (Spenser #1)
    07) Bad Business by Robert B. Parker 03/07/14 (Spenser #31)
    08) Shadow of a Broken Man by George C. Chesbro 03/12/14 (Mongo #1)
    09) Why I Duct Taped My Cat: and Other Lessons from a Traumatized Childhood by Lisa Schwab 03/13/14 (manuscript draft)
    10) City of Whispering Stone by George C. Chesbro 03/20/14 (Mongo #2)
    11) Two Songs This Archangel Sings by George C. Chesbro 04/01/14 (Mongo #5)
    **04/04/14 Merrie & I Get Hitched**
    12) God Save the Child by Robert B. Parker 04/06/14 (Spenser #2)
    13) Mortal Stakes by Robert B. Parker 04/22/14 (Spenser #3)
    14) Appaloosa by Rober P. Parker 04/24/14 (Cole & Hitch #1)
    15) Resolution by Robert B. Parker 05/01/14 (Cole & Hitch #2)
    16) Brimstone by Robert B. Parker 05/05/14 (Cole & Hitch #3)
    17) Blue-Eyed Devil by Robert B. Parker 05/06/14 (Cole & Hitch #4)
    18) The Touch by F. Paul Wilson 05/19/14 (Adversary Cycle #3)
    19) Nothing O'Clock by Neil Gaiman 05/23/14 (audiobook)
    20) Skin Game by Jim Butcher 05/29/14 (Dresden Files #15)
    21) Reprisal by F. Paul Wilson 06/09/14 (Adversary Cycle #5)
    22) Gun Machine by Warren Ellis 06/12/14
    23) Promised Land by Robert B. Parker 06/15/14 (Spenser #4)
    24) The Judas Goat by Robert B. Parker 06/24/14 (Spenser #5)
    25) Looking for Rachel Wallace by Robert B. Parker 06/29/14 (Spenser #6)
    26) Early Autumn by Robert B. Parker 07/02/14 (Spenser #7)
    27) A Savage Place by Robert B. Parker 07/05/14 (Spenser #8)
    28) Ceremony by Robert B. Parker 07/08/14 (Spenser #9)
    29) Widening Gyre by Robert B. Parker 07/13/14 (Spenser #10)
    30) Valediction by Robert B. Parker 07/17/14 (Spenser #11)
    31) A Catskill Eagle by Robert B. Parker 07/19/14 (Spenser #12)
    32) Taming a Sea Horse by Robert B. Parker 07/22/14 (Spenser #13)
    33) Pale Kings and Princes by Robert B. Parker 07/28/14 (Spenser #14)
    34) A Necessary Evil by ALex Kava 08/09/14 (Maggie O'Dell #5)
    35) Fear of the Dark by Walter Mosley 08/13/14 (Fearless Jones #3)
    36) Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley 08/23/14 (Easy Rawlins #1)
    37) One Kick by Chelsea Cain 08/28/14 (Kick Lannigan #1)
    38) Fearless jones by Walter Mosley 09/13/14 (Fearless Jones #1)
    39) The Furious Longing of God by Brennan Manning 09/14/14
    40) Crimson Joy by Robert B. Parker 09/18/14 (Spenser #15)
    41) Playmates by Robert B. Parker 09/24/14 (Spenser #16)
    **10/06/14 My 41st Birthday**
    42) Skinwalkers by Tony Hillerman 10/09/14 (Navajo Mysteries #7)
    43) Stardust by Rober B. Parker 10/11/14 (Spenser #17)
    44) The Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block 10/14/14 (Matthew Scudder #1)
    45) The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving 10/17/14 (audiobook)
    46) Time to Murder & Create by Lawrence Block 10/18/14 (Matthew Scudder #2)
    47) In the Midst of Death by Lawrence Block 10/19/14 (Matthew Scudder #3) (audiobook)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    hauberk said:

On the fourth of the Expanse books - Cibola Burn by James S.A. Corey. Not entirely sure where this one is going yet. Has a potential to be political thriller between two factions, could be straight up mystery and could quickly turn into horror. Looking forward to the ride as the previous three were really enjoyable.

Wrapped Cibola Burn last night and now I have to wait for whatever comes next. Argh!

The duo of authors that make up the James S.A. Corey nom de plume have once again managed to extend the narrative while at the same time incorporating yet another genre into the series. This time, we get to see the colonization of a formerly inhabited planet. The drama that ensues is part Old West land war, part disaster novel and all entertaining.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm reading Me, Inc. by Gene "The Demon" Simmons. Say what you will, there's very sound and honest advice contained within those pages. I picked it up last night at a book signing. Gene and I are both Junior Achievement alums. Who knew! :)

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Now Reading (and loving): The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore.

We all know the sordid tales told about WM Marston and his small harem of BSDM-loving girls...but what happens when those facts interrupt and detail just how Marston and crew's upbringing led them to create everyone's favorite Amazon princess?

This one is a must for everyone and anyone curious to know the real story.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited November 2014
    I just finished the latest Anne Rice book 'Prince Lestat'.

I've enjoyed her novels for years, and I even enjoyed the Werewolf stuff she'd been doing of late. But words cannot express how excited I was to have this book in my hand as soon as humanly possible. I was outside my local Barnes & Noble at 8:50am waiting for the doors to open at 9 so I could have this book the day it released.

It was great. So happy she's back to the Vampires. I know some of you are Rice fans so feel free to ask any questions if you haven't read it and/or didn't even know it existed.
  • Options
    Just finished The Golden Princess by S. W. Stirling.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Stirling seems to be suffering from his own special strain of David Weber Syndrome.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Torchsong said:

I'm reading Me, Inc. by Gene "The Demon" Simmons. Say what you will, there's very sound and honest advice contained within those pages. I picked it up last night at a book signing. Gene and I are both Junior Achievement alums. Who knew! :)

I did JA too, and I hated every minute of it.
  • Options
    Man! Somehow I lost track of this thread. I know that I've forgotten a number of books that I've read recently. Coming to mind:

The Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. Abercrombie is a fun read - reminds me a bit of a Robert E. Howard with a bit more tongue in cheek.

A Once Crowded Sky by Tom King. As I put it down, I wasn't 100% certain what to think. It was really very readable and enjoyable but I felt like the ending left me hanging. As I've gotten a bit of distance from it, I'm more and more sure that I enjoyed it and, along with Grayson, will happily read more.

Currently, I'm about halfway through the World of Ice and Fire. I'm a huge fan of GRRM, going back to the classics - Wild Cards, Armageddon Rag and Fevre Dream. I'm really enjoying it, though there are a number of areas where I really wish that they had drilled in deeper. Still, I've got plenty more of it to read.
  • Options
    Just finished the American Gods: 10th Anniversary edition. I've never read the original and have no clue what was added, but this book was incredible.