Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    I'm new here, btw. I want to say hello and that I recently read the 10 cent plague, which is a history of comics, especially all the stuff that happened early on when they were banned and burned. It's an interesting read that shows both sides, whether it means to or not. (:
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited June 2014
    I'm reading JJ Abrams and Doug Dorsts S This is a love letter the physical book. None of this digital crap. This is literarily one of the most beautifully presented books I have brought. Ever. It's a 'library book' by a fictional recluse writer called VM Straka which is full of inserts (letters, photos, post cards, maps etc...). The book margins are full of notes made by a female student and male ex-student who get to know each other whilst exploring the mystery around who the author, VM Straka actually is.

I imagine this sort of thing being right up @Adam_Murdough‌ street.

I'm about half way through at the moment and can't put it down. The two stories interact really well and I really can't recommend it enough. If you like a good book, a real hold in your hand book, get this.
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear somebody is reading that book. I look forward to hearing how it was. I've been thinking about picking it up.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Back to working through the Spenser books. Finished #5 today The Judas Goat these last couple have been stunningly good. #4 Promised Land seemed to me to be the book in which all the magic came together. and this one just kept on trucking
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    Currently stuck on Rascals In Paradise by James Michener and Arthur Grove Day. I generally enjoy Michener but I'm struggling a bit with this one. Thinking about taking a break from it and reading a copy of Macroscope by Piers Anthony that I picked up recently from a thrift store.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    On a Stephen Ambrose kick.

Devoured Band of Brothers, now on Citizen Soldiers.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

On a Stephen Ambrose kick.

Devoured Band of Brothers, now on Citizen Soldiers.

Been there. That took me on to Marcus Brotherton and Cornelius Ryan. Considering looking into Donald Burgett as well. Ambrose has his issues as were documented with instances of plagiarism in Wild Blue but his books are written in a manner that is far more engaging and less analytical than most other WWII books that I've read.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    4b goes Wild

Wanted something super light to read. This is book 2 of a 4 or 5 book series. I got this book at the school book fair. A 4th grade class goes to a camp.Where they spend the weekend and hijinks happen.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Finally getting to Ready Player One
  • Options
    DAR said:

Finally getting to Ready Player One

Thought that one was a whole lot of fun.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

About half way through Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey. It's a space opera piece that, so far, has a little bit of everything in it. It's got the political thriller side - poor relations between the inner planets, the Belt and the outer planets (humanity is limited to the Solar System). It's got mystery - missing ship and crew, detective hired to find and return a prodigal daughter. It's got stuff blowing up - do I really need to expand upon that one? It seems to have a reasonable understanding of the physics of space!

I've recommended it a couple of friends so far. Best comparison that I can offer is that it's like a blend between CJ Cherryh (Hellburner, Heavy Time, Rim Runners), David Drake (Kill Ratio specifically) and maybe a bit of Stephen R. Donaldson (the Gap Cycle).

Wrapped up the second book in the series - Calaban's War. It continues in the same vein as previous book but gets a little heavier into the politics. At the end of the day, I'm left feeling like it all would have made for a killer Traveller campaign.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm finally reading "A Game of Thrones". I read it when I have some time and so far, I am really enjoying it.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

hauberk said:

About half way through Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey. It's a space opera piece that, so far, has a little bit of everything in it. It's got the political thriller side - poor relations between the inner planets, the Belt and the outer planets (humanity is limited to the Solar System). It's got mystery - missing ship and crew, detective hired to find and return a prodigal daughter. It's got stuff blowing up - do I really need to expand upon that one? It seems to have a reasonable understanding of the physics of space!

I've recommended it a couple of friends so far. Best comparison that I can offer is that it's like a blend between CJ Cherryh (Hellburner, Heavy Time, Rim Runners), David Drake (Kill Ratio specifically) and maybe a bit of Stephen R. Donaldson (the Gap Cycle).

Wrapped up the second book in the series - Calaban's War. It continues in the same vein as previous book but gets a little heavier into the politics. At the end of the day, I'm left feeling like it all would have made for a killer Traveller campaign.
    And now through the third book of the series Cibola Burn. I'm continuing to dig the series and pretty excited about the recent news about the series being turned into a higher quality show on SyFy.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,616
    @WetRats‌

My wife asks me last Saturday if she can use my nook to read to read the first book in the dresden files. One week later ask her if she's done. She was... with the first book now she is reading book two. I've only got the first 5 so I'll probably be getting my nook back in a month.

She said that Dresden is wizards done right.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

@WetRats‌

My wife asks me last Saturday if she can use my nook to read to read the first book in the dresden files. One week later ask her if she's done. She was... with the first book now she is reading book two. I've only got the first 5 so I'll probably be getting my nook back in a month.

Yay!

The series REALLY hits stride in book 7.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I'm finally reading "A Game of Thrones". I read it when I have some time and so far, I am really enjoying it.

Spoiler alert: Rosebud is a sled.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

jaydee74 said:

Just felt like replying with an unrelated 70 year old movie spoiler?

• Options

jaydee74 said:

It's.

Not.

About.

The Sled.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

jaydee74 said:

It's.

Not.

About.

The Sled.
    Darn it, now I have to re-watch that movie and figure it out.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

hauberk said:

hauberk said:

And now through the third book of the series Cibola Burn. I'm continuing to dig the series and pretty excited about the recent news about the series being turned into a higher quality show on SyFy.
    I'm apparently pretty eager to pick up the fourth book... book 3 was actually Abaddon's Gate with Cibola Burn as the recently released fourth book. The series has been optioned by SyFy, which gives me both a sense of excitement and a strong feel of trepidation. Will it be the SyFy that brought us the first couple seasons of BSG or the Syfy that brought us Sharknado?

After finishing Abaddon's Gate, which really was incredibly enjoyable, I moved on to CJ Cherryh's Hunter of Worlds. Hunter came out in 1977 and is one of Cherryh's first published works. It shows evidence of her interested in developing alien cultures and the concept of an isolated protagonist among aliens is present here as well. Unfortunately, she fell into the trap of using far too much alien vocabulary - rather than limiting it to concepts and ideas that were not quite analogous to human concepts as a means of expressing the subtle difference, they were substituted in as equivelants all over the place and that took some level of enjoyment out of the reading for me, particularly since she took the time to develop conjugations and had a large number of words with very similar structure. The glossary at the back became an essential part of the experience for me as it usually wasn't applied in an area where context would help.

Currently, after taking a break to get caught up on some comics and trades, I'm back at it with the latest GRRM / Gardner DeZois anthology - Rogues. I'm about half way through so far and, after I complete it, I'll break it down by story in a fashion similar to Dangerous Women. So far, I've only come across one story that has been a slog and I'm still working my way through it. Unfortunately, it's a Paul Cornell story so it's one that I was looking forward to reading.

• Options
    Four books into the Walt Longmire Mysteries.

Very good.

Rather melancholy.

The Magician's Land is on deck.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Very good.

Rather melancholy.

I was contemplating popping across the street to look into the Longmire books (as well as Magician). Need to finish up Rogues first
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

Very good.

Rather melancholy.

I was contemplating popping across the street to look into the Longmire books (as well as Magician). Need to finish up Rogues first
    There's a lot of humor in the Longmire books as well as the melancholy, btw, but they are certainly not light.

The characters are great. Some are portrayed fairly close in the TV series, especially Vic. Ferg is utterly different. Branch does not exist in the books so far. And of course, there are a lot more characters as well.
  • Options
    @Wetrats just started reading some Walter Mosley. I'm reading theFearless Jones stuff now. It has a lean, masculine prose similar to Robert B. Parker's Spenser.
  • Options
    random73 said:

@Wetrats just started reading some Walter Mosley. I'm reading theFearless Jones stuff now. It has a lean, masculine prose similar to Robert B. Parker's Spenser.

I'll look for him once I'm caught up on the Longmire books.

Thanks!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

Thanks!
    I think you'll dig it. The ideal mix would be Otis Redding on the turntable, your favorite chair, a scotch within reach and a Walter Mosley novel.

His first Easy Rawlins novel Devil in a Blue Dress was the basis for the Denzel Washington movie of the same name.
  • Options
    random73 said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

Thanks!
    I think you'll dig it. The ideal mix would be Otis Redding on the turntable, your favorite chair, a scotch within reach and a Walter Mosley novel.

His first Easy Rawlins novel Devil in a Blue Dress was the basis for the Denzel Washington movie of the same name.
    I still have a turntable.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I haven't posted my reading on here for a while so here's a little catch up.

S from Doug Dorst and JJ Abrhams was great. Something completely different and incredibly enjoyable.

Mr Mercedes was next up. Stephen Kings first foray into a truly crime novel. A really enjoyable read actually. I liked how we got the perspective from both good guy and bad guy.

I've just started my first Joe Hill book N0S4A2. A really cool title to start off wiv. And a strong start to the story. Never much his fathers son!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

@WetRats‌

Yay!

The series REALLY hits stride in book 7.
    It has been 10 days since I posted about my wife's dresden quest. She has completly ignored her family. The baby and I are fighting for our survival while she finsihes up book 5.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Well my wife finished Dresden 1-5. I've got my nook back.

I also finished a book: Simon Morden's Curve of the Earth (book 4 of the MetroZone Trilogy). The book was ok, but not as good as the really great Samuli Petrovitch/MetroZone trilogy from a few years ago.

I can't really recommend this book, but the first 3 books are really good/fun science fiction.