Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Ok for the people that know what is the proper order to read the Burrough's John Carter of Mars books?
    There are 12 story arcs on Barsoom/Mars - 6 are focused on John Carter (the others on his descendants)

The main books (triology):
    -A Princess of Mars
    -The Gods of Mars
    -The Warlord of Mars

and some later adventures:
    -Swords of Mars
    -Llana of Gathol
    -John Carter of Mars

So far I've only read the triology (Kindle edtion on my tab) :

The First Barsoom Omnibus: A Princess of Mars; The Gods of Mars; Warlord of Mars

Happy reading :D
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Thanks Bryan and John for the help. I knew I owned them all but had no idea what order they went in.
  • Michael777Michael777 Posts: 15
    I have really been enjoying reading a quick Kindle single as of late. I've recently plowed through several gargantuan novels and its good to have a nice quick read I can finish in a couple reads or less. Any suggestions for Kindle singles?
  • Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Reckless Endeavor by David Ebright
    May be a homer pick here, the author is my Uncle, but I still love it. The book is a second of a series and after seeing the hard work he put into it, the book is hard not to enjoy. It is your usual treasure hunting story; however I think it is done just so well. I know there will forever be Treasure Island knockoffs, but this one is at the top of the list. If you love teenage fun and pirate adventure. Get It!
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited June 2012
    Just wrapped up Joe Abercrombie's ,
    Best Served Cold and Tony Hillerman's The Blessing Way.

Really enjoyed both. BSC was a fairly relentless fantasy version of Hang'Em High.

TBW was Hillerman's first novel and one of my first mysteries. Hillerman does what I think is a terrific job of using native American culture as the backdrop for his mysteries without (so far at least) falling into stereotypes. TBW was written in 1970 but only felt dated in a very few areas (winding watches was most conspicuous). I will continue with more.
  • Finished up The Great Gatsby last night. Figured with the new movie coming out this December I would go ahead and give it a read. Hopefully the new movie is a lot better than the Robert Redford piece of crap from the 70's. As for the book itself, I don't get what is so great about it. Guess I am more of a Steinbeck kind of guy.
    Finished up The Great Gatsby last night. Figured with the new movie coming out this December I would go ahead and give it a read. Hopefully the new movie is a lot better than the Robert Redford piece of crap from the 70's. As for the book itself, I don't get what is so great about it. Guess I am more of a Steinbeck kind of guy.
    I had to read it in 11th grade English class. And I really don't remember any of it. Do kind of remember it being really slow moving.

• Finished up The Great Gatsby last night. Figured with the new movie coming out this December I would go ahead and give it a read. Hopefully the new movie is a lot better than the Robert Redford piece of crap from the 70's. As for the book itself, I don't get what is so great about it. Guess I am more of a Steinbeck kind of guy.
    I had to read it in 11th grade English class. And I really don't remember any of it. Do kind of remember it being really slow moving.

When I was in the 11th grade, we just watched the movie :)
    Finished up The Great Gatsby last night. Figured with the new movie coming out this December I would go ahead and give it a read. Hopefully the new movie is a lot better than the Robert Redford piece of crap from the 70's. As for the book itself, I don't get what is so great about it. Guess I am more of a Steinbeck kind of guy.

When I was in the 11th grade, we just watched the movie :)
    Lucky you,the movie is better than the book. From what I remember.

• brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    Can I request that everyone bold the title of the book they are writing about? It makes it so much easier to scan the thread and quickly find the title of the book you are referring to.

Thanks,

Bry
  • SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    The Yard by Alex Grecian

London, the late 1880s, murder ... great, great, great stuff so far.
  • kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

I've never read it before, though I did read Huckleberry Finn in high school.
  • DesertHermitDesertHermit Posts: 80
    edited June 2012
    Finishing up 'A Feast for Crows' in preparation for the paperback release of 'A Dance with Dragons' this August.
    I sincerely hope Martin finishes this project.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Finished up The Martian Chronicles and absolutely loved it. I definitely want to keep reading Bradbury. Where should I go next?

I also finished Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City. Maupin's characterization is excellent. Everyone felt very real and easy to relate to, which was impressive considering we only ever get short bursts of story (it was originally serialized in The San Francisco Chronicle) and the mostly carefree & often very hedonistic lives these people were living in 70s San Francisco are so very far removed from my own.
    Garbage Pail Kids

This book reprints every GPK sticker from the first 5 series. Plus it has a pack of 4 never before published cards. And the dust jacket feels just like the old wax packs. I love the introduction by Art Spiegelman and the afterword from John Pound. If you are a fan of the GPK franchise this is worth getting.
    edited June 2012
    A Right to be Hostile-A Boondocks Treasury

I have loved the Boondocks cartoon. But until I moved back to MS I never got a chance to read the comic strip. This collection has the first 4 years,and I am loving it.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Just finished The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie, completing all of his published works to date. It's visceral low fantasy - little (if anything) in the way of magic and focuses on a three day engagement between the forces of the "barbaric" north and the far more "civilized" Union. Fun in that it expands upon the world created in The First Law trilogy, as well as Best Served Cold but stand alone.
    The Bedwetter by Sarah Silverman

Got this today for $5.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The Quick Red Fox by John D. MacDonald

The Travis McGee stories have aged very nicely, and many of MacDonald's observations on the then-looming decline of American "civilization" are uncannily resonant nearly fifty years later.
    Finished up The Bedwetter this morning. Funny quick read. More than worth the $5 I paid for it.
  • BetaRayBenBetaRayBen Posts: 50
    @LibraryBoy: Dandelion Wine always makes me think of summer. Or perhaps summer makes me think of Dandelion Wine.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett
  • The Dresden Files: Death Masks.

Interesting enough story. Not quite what you expect in magic/wizard fiction.
    Suck it Wonder Woman by Olivia Munn

Got this brand new for 5 bucks,and see why it was so cheap. One of the worst books I have read since getting out of high school almost 20 years ago.
    I just read "The Hangman's Daughter" by Oliver Pötzsch.

It was a very good period piece mystery/thriller. Quite fun.

Bry
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

Bry

Nice. Didn't know that he's being translated into English.

Bry

Nice. Didn't know that he's being translated into English.
    Yeah, and the follow-up novel has also been translated. I'll probably be reading that soon.

Bry
  • NickNick Posts: 284
    I'm 90% of the way done with Catching Fire. At least I can see why this series is so popular (unlike Twilight). The 400 pages are flying by, and the tempo is just right where every ten pages or so it seems like another hook is grabbing me. Makes me remember how good novels can be.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited July 2012
    reading Necroscope by Brian Lumley.

I hate to admit it but i gave up on Vellum because it was just painfully disjointed in its storytelling, after 100 pages i quit.
  • DavidAkersDavidAkers Posts: 44
    edited July 2012

So far I've only read the triology (Kindle edtion on my tab) :

The First Barsoom Omnibus: A Princess of Mars; The Gods of Mars; Warlord of Mars

They are also available for free at www.gutenberg.org, since they are in the public domain.

A Princess of Mars
    Gods of Mars
    Warlord of Mars