Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    I'm reading a Clash of Kings,the tv show got me back into that series.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Centuar Aisle

Haven't read this book since I was about 12,but wanted a quick easy read. It follows the normal Xanth formula. Plus sometimes Anthony's obsession with young girls gets super creepy. But overall it was a good way to kill 3 hours.
  • Options
    Batman: The Ultimate Evil by Andrew Vachss

Written in '95 and had Batman take on a very disturbing and disgusting world. The characterisation of Batman seems a little off but perhaps that is to be expected when he is dealing with a world that he has no experience in. Can be quite disturbing. Heavy Batman book. You've been warned.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Centuar Aisle

Haven't read this book since I was about 12,but wanted a quick easy read. It follows the normal Xanth formula. Plus sometimes Anthony's obsession with young girls gets super creepy. But overall it was a good way to kill 3 hours.
    Ever read his short story In The Barn?

Very disturbing.
  • Options
    Centuar Aisle

Very disturbing.
    What collection is it published in? I will have to get it from the library. Really outta all his books my faves are teh Bio of a space tyrant series. I over the years managed to get a complete set. Which was kind of hard since all of them back then were out of print.

• Options
    Header by Edward Lee

This novella by Mr Lee is infamous in horror fiction circles. One of the most distrubing stories I have read in a few years. Sadly it is very hard to find now. There is a movie based on it,but it isn't very good. Unless you are in extreme horror avoid this and really any other story from Edward Lee.
  • Options
    Centuar Aisle

Very disturbing.
    What collection is it published in? I will have to get it from the library. Really outta all his books my faves are teh Bio of a space tyrant series. I over the years managed to get a complete set. Which was kind of hard since all of them back then were out of print.

Again, Dangerous Visions, edited by Harlan Ellison.

Both Dangerous Visions volumes are amazing.

ADV also features a story by Kurt Vonnegut with the greatest title ever.
  • Options
    Centuar Aisle

Very disturbing.

I own both of those anthologies and have never read them. They are sitting in my huge unread book pile.

• Options
    Centuar Aisle

Very disturbing.

I own both of those anthologies and have never read them. They are sitting in my huge unread book pile.

Grab ADV & read In the Barn and the Vonnegut story, then peruse at your leisure. I highly recommend With the Bentfin Boomer Boys from Little Old New Alabama by Richard Lupoff, which I believe is in DV.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Just finished "Getting Off" by Lawrence Block, and I have to say that I didn't much care for it. It was a story from the point of view of a serial killer, a woman who kills every man she sleeps with. She decides that she needs to hunt down and kill the "ones that got away".

While the premise is workable, and Block is a very good writer, the novel spends WAY much time on the sexual aspect of the protagonist. Her backstory was simplistic and cliched, her "hunting down" was too much random chance and felt as if the author was rushing through it to get to the next sex and murder scene. I expect a crime novel to be bleak and dark, but this was just a plunge into waters I didn't want to swim in. Too much sex and not enough crime.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I'm a presidential campaign junkie, so I'm currently reading What It Takes by Richard Ben Cramer, about the 1988 presidential election. It may sound dull, but the writing and level of detail make it hard to put down.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    I bought The Black Stiletto by Raymond Benson the other day when it was the Amazon Kindle deal of the day. It's got a comic book vibe: A man discovers that his elderly mother who is now suffering from Alzheimer's, was once the famed super-heroine, The Black Stiletto. I'm a few chapters in, and it's pretty interesting so far. Definitely a quick read.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Anyone read Avengers Assemble an oral history by Bendis. I had a gift card and picked it up at Barnes and Noble
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited April 2012
    I just finished reading Jasper Fforde's The Last Dragonslayer. I'm going camping/disc golfing this weekend. Rain is forecast for Saturday, so I packed Fforde's follow-up book, The Song of Quarkbeast, just in case Saturday's planned disc golf games are postponed until Sunday.
    As it turned out the weather was mildly rainy that trip, but so much as to warrant canceling our disc golf tournament. In other words, I never did crack open that book. Now, nearly a month later, I'm finally starting the book I said I might back in March.
  • Options
    I just started David Foster Wallace's 'The Pale King' the day before yesterday. So far I don't know. I'm not far enough into it to have a substantive opinion.
    I've always meant to read 'Infinite Jest', but haven't made the leap. It's a commitment. But I figured it was the novel that killed him, so I should give it some consideration.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    Re-reading "The Two Towers" for the umpteenth time.

Bry
  • Options
    Re-reading "The Two Towers" for the umpteenth time.

Bry
    I have tried to read that book a few times but always end up giving up on it midway through it. Not that it is a bad book,just something about it doesn't appeal to me. I can see why they have a huge folllowing. But then the fantasy genre has never been one of my favorite genres. I much prefer the horror or science fiction genres.
  • Options
    Off Season-uncut version by Jack Ketchum

One of my favorite modern horror novels. About a tribe of cannibals living on the Maine coast. Very intense book that is extremely graphic and not something for every one. But if you are a horror fan and have a strong stomach give it a try. But make sure to find teh edition put out by Leisure books. All other versions are edited. Plus the Leisure books version is the only one with the original ending that the author wanted.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Just wondering: What makes a thread "official"?

Is there some sort of a certification process?

Do I need to fill out some paperwork?

How many forms of ID do I need?
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I can't remember if I mentioned it here or not but I ma currently finishing up "Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Aspergers" by John Elder Robison (author Augusten Burroughs older brother) and this really is excellent! Really insightful and even if you are not a Burroughs fan it is quite self-contained and gives a glimpse into his works from another perspective as well as one of the best and most honest accounts of Aspergers I have read.

I'm sure a fair number of us even here have a touch of it to some degree, and I'd bet a lot more people do than we even know. It is fascinating, raw, funny, and interesting. A quick read that I highly recommend.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Just wondering: What makes a thread "official"?
    Is there some sort of a certification process?
    Do I need to fill out some paperwork?
    How many forms of ID do I need?

Are we foreigners forced to apply for the Green Card? Or is the tourist visa sufficent? What if I visit the forums for more than 6 months? Will my posts be deported? And what if one of my original thoughts have been born in the US of A? Does that thought get the US citizenship? And what about that "proof of return"?

If one of my thoughts gets an "agree" and is coupling with a US citizen's thought - will the offspring thoughts be getting citizenship?

:-??
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I'm a presidential campaign junkie, so I'm currently reading What It Takes by Richard Ben Cramer, about the 1988 presidential election. It may sound dull, but the writing and level of detail make it hard to put down.
    I take that state of mind even further. The book I am reading is "The Right Moment" by Matthew Dallek. It is about the 1966 California gubernatorial campaign, which was Reagan's rise to political prominence. I would recommend it to you
  • Options

I take that state of mind even further. The book I am reading is "The Right Moment" by Matthew Dallek. It is about the 1966 California gubernatorial campaign, which was Reagan's rise to political prominence. I would recommend it to you
    Thanks, I just added it to my Amazon wish list. It sounds familiar, like maybe I read an excerpt or something from it years ago.
  • Options
    Right to Life

This is a novella by Jack Ketchum. It is included in Leisure books printing of Old Flames. And is actually way better than Old Flames. But like all Ketchum stuff this isn't a story for people that can't handle extreme violence. In the story a woman gets kidnapped from in front of an abortion clinic and is held hostage by some anti-abortion people. The kidnappers take their beliefs to the extreme.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    i just finished Dance with Dragons... now i'm torn between re-reading the entire Artemis Fowl series in preparation for the end of the series or starting the Night Watch series by Lukyanenko..
  • Options
    I read "Hardcore History" last night.

That's right, the whole thing.

It's not a NOVEL, but it is a book that goes through the history of ECW, and wile I have seen and read a number of histories of that organization, this one delves into the financials of the company as well as what happened in the ring. A good look at the company, and to be honest, it made me miss those old days all over again.
  • Options

It's not a NOVEL, but it is a book that goes through the history of ECW, and wile I have seen and read a number of histories of that organization, this one delves into the financials of the company as well as what happened in the ring. A good look at the company, and to be honest, it made me miss those old days all over again.
    Been wanting to read that book for a few years. I hear it isn't as biased as the WWE made documentary on ECW was.

I bought the newest "Wild Cards" novel "Fort Freak" last night. I had no idea this had come out. But saw the paperback while out grocery shopping. Might start reading it this weekend.
  • Options

I bought the newest "Wild Cards" novel "Fort Freak" last night. I had no idea this had come out. But saw the paperback while out grocery shopping. Might start reading it this weekend.
    I didn't even know they were still doing Wild Cards. I read all the original series back in the late '80s and early '90s, but drifted away by the mid '90s. I see the first book for only 2.99 for my Kindle, so I think I'll pick it up now and try to get back into it.
  • Options

I didn't even know they were still doing Wild Cards. I read all the original series back in the late '80s and early '90s, but drifted away by the mid '90s. I see the first book for only 2.99 for my Kindle, so I think I'll pick it up now and try to get back into it.
    I also had thought the series was over years ago. Then 4 years ago I found a new one out in hardback. Want to say the title was "Inside Straight".

• Options

Been wanting to read that book for a few years. I hear it isn't as biased as the WWE made documentary on ECW was.

No, it was nicely balanced and seemed to have interviewed just about everyone who had backstage information except for Paul Heyman and the folks who worked on the website (who have GREAT stories).

As for Wild Cards, I remember that series from the 80's, but really thought it ran out of steam around the 6th book. I also love that DC blatantly stole the "super hero gene" idea that was in the book, although they didn't use the alien virus part of it. I keep meaning to reread it, but it just never quite leaps to the top of my reading pile. How are the new novels?