Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Beloved movies you don't care for

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2014/10/what-movies-do-you-hate-that-everyone.html

Ken Levine, who is an excellent blogger and also a great TV writer (I don’t know about his radio skills, and baseball puts me to sleep quickly), and he lists here movies that other people love and he hates.

I have to be honest, I don’t have a lot of “new movies” in this field, since I don’t HAVE to watch a lot of movies I don’t want to any more. Also, with the way movies are marketed, it’s incredibly rare that a movie comes out that isn’t targeted to a specific audience with pinpoint precision, so if it’s not aimed at me (like a Tyler Parry movie or a Family Friendly Comedy) I’ll only see it if people tell me it’s really good. Does that mean Tyler Perry movies aren’t any good? I don’t know. I don’t watch them. They aren’t for me, but if the people they are aimed at like them, then good for them. Not everything is FOR me.

These movies, however, are ones that seem to get universal acclaim or have a large fanbase and I disliked them. A LOT.
The first one I thought of was Forrest Gump. I actively hate that movie and the message that “If you just shut the hell up and do what you’re told, you’ll be a happy millionaire!” Every character is a one dimensional cliché. AT BEST, it’s shamefully manipulative melodrama.

Others are:

Flashdance: an endless music video with terrible songs

Footloose: made in the 80’s, set in the 1580’s “The town has outlawed dancing!”

Gone With The Wind: long, melodramatic, racist and pretty

Transformers: I tried, dear sweet Koresh, I tried. Shia LaBeouf’s mother in the movie was a character I hated so much I wanted to travel back in time and stop everyone involved from working on any movie ever

Terms of Endearment I have a deep love of bad movies like Plan 9 and Robot Monster. When people ask what the worst movie I have ever seen is, I answer this movie.

Scarface (1982): This was a long, dull, violent crime movie that features the worst acting from an Academy Award winner ever.

Braveheart: Kind of shocked this movie is beloved while Rob Roy (which came out a couple of months before) is ignored.

Anything with Will Ferrill or Adam Sandler. I still think no one finds them funny and their success is a long, involved practical joke on me.

The Usual Suspects: I remember saying at the end “So that’s why it didn’t make any sense!”

I am SURE that people disagree with me, and that’s fine…what Beloved movies do YOU dislike?

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I'm with you on Will Ferrell (except for a Stranger Than Fiction) and Scarface.

Personal choices:

The Godfather movies - yawn

Martin Scorcese in general - there are one or two that I can think of that I enjoyed.

Woody Allen movies - the neuroticism and uncomfortable humor just aren't my cuppa.

Wes Anderson movies - they just feel pretentious and hipster to me.

Pretty much anything with Meryl Streep. Just typing the name makes me yawn.

Starship Troopers. Most of my friends loved this one. I hated almost every minute of it. It could have been ok as a B scifi action flick. Unfortunately they disparaged what I consider to be a seminal work. Not even Dina Meyer can bring it back from that.

Fifth Element - huge marketing effort - comparisons to a Star Wars and Bladerunner. Instead, we get Chris Tucker and Gary Oldman as a lispy, malevolent Colonel Sanders with a bowl on his head.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I worked in a video store (what the hell are those?) during college and learned to hate a few beloved movies we played on a fairly regular basis:

Grease - Oh god I have to leave the room any time Summer Nights comes on. Still do.

Footloose - Thank God I'm not the only one who hates this.

Batman/Batman Returns - Keaton was the *only* thing I enjoyed about these movies.

• Options
    Rod28Rod28 Posts: 63
    I can't stand Forrest Gump. This movie annoyed me.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Scarface: unpleasant people doing unpleasant things with unpleasant results
    The Lord of the Rings: I just don't care. They bore me. Books and movies.
    Comedic remakes of things that weren't comedies originally. Like Starsky & Hutch.
    Will Ferrell
    Ben Stiller
    Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb: This was just a boring confused mess for me.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    The Matrix
    Gladiator
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Thor 2
    Adam Sandler except Happy Gilmore
    Star Trek (2009 reboot)
    Fast and Furious Franchise
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I worked in a video store (what the hell are those?) during college and learned to hate a few beloved movies we played on a fairly regular basis:

Grease - Oh god I have to leave the room any time Summer Nights comes on. Still do.

Footloose - Thank God I'm not the only one who hates this.

Batman/Batman Returns - Keaton was the *only* thing I enjoyed about these movies.

I am NOT a fan of Grease. The movie just looks like a high school production and the songs are UBER 70's.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    The Matrix
    Gladiator
    The English Patient
    The Rocketeer
    Boyhood
    Passion of the Christ
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I agree with English Patient but it is one of the most derided Best Picture choices ever and it's own "Beloved" status was pretty much done by the next year. It is a sappy dud.

Boo on all the Forest Gump haters. Where did your soul go? When he sees his son for the first time...... I'm crying now.......Forest Gump rules!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    This time of year I'm always reminded how much I don't enjoy The Nightmare Before Christmas at all. It has built up such a huge cult following over the years, but I found it to be painfully boring and I don't care for the songs (admittedly, my Danny Elfman tolerance is low).

The Nolan Batman movies, particularly Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises. I like The Dark Knight alright, but as @Adam_Murdough‌ once said (quoting Peter Griffin), "it insists upon itself" a bit too much. I just can't get behind a Batman who quits in the face of tragedy, and one that does almost none of his own detective work. Sure, he can kick ass creatively, but take Lucius and Alfred out of the equation and he's toast. Batman should always be the most clever guy in the room, and I never once got that feeling in any of these.

Drive - It's like two movies awkwardly stitched together, it's too damn quiet, and I just don't like Ryan Gosling. Albert Brooks was great, though; I'll give it that.

Dr. Strangelove - There are parts I think are extremely funny and parts that die on screen and still stretch out into eternity. It's just kind of a jumbled mess and falls apart as a result.

This is Spinal Tap - All the funny parts that everyone always quotes? They all happen in the first half of the movie, which is great. The second half gets really dull for me, right about the time Michael McKean's character meets his Yoko.

Where the Wild Things Are - The trailer might be the best, most beautiful short film ever made. I legitimately teared up a little the first time I saw it. The actual movie took my favorite book as a little kid and turned into an angry, angsty, creepy, boring mess. I can't remember ever leaving a theater so disappointed in my life.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    O Brother Where Art Thou
  • Options
    I quite enjoyed The English Patient.

Beautifully filmed, tragic movie with one of the most horrifying deaths I can imagine.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

Boo on all the Forest Gump haters. Where did your soul go? When he sees his son for the first time...... I'm crying now.......Forest Gump rules!

I hated, hated, HATED the underlying message of the film: Just shut up and do as you are told and you'll be rich and happy! And Jenny may be the most loathsome character in the history of film.

I KNOW people disagree with me. There is someone I have known since before the movie came out, and every so often, she'll just let me know out the blue that I am wrong about Forest Gump.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Inception - It looked great and sported really cool effects, but it was barely wachable. Dumb plot, unlikable characters. Very forced story.

Avatar - gorgeous, illogical movie with a trite, recycled plot that could be fully summed up with “Trees good! Natives good! Military bad!”
    Unobtanium - 'nuff said.

Boondock Saints - Quentin Tarantino, it ain't. Amateurish, it is.

2001: A Space Odyssey - pioneering visual effects that would evolve into movies like Star Wars and Close Encounters, but it lacked the storytelling that made those later films great. In short, 2001 is a three-hour bore. Heavily edited by the studio. And Kubrick is someone whose films I genuinely admire.

Fast and Furious (any of them) - sorry. Not for me.

Most any movie featuring Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler.

Some guilty pleasure movies for me range from the Shining, Crank, Empire Strikes Back, Blade Runner, Better Off Dead, Ghostbusters, Lost Boys, Robocop, Purple Rain, Transporter, Spider-Man, Wild At Heart, Predator, Shaun of the Dead, Office Space, Big Lebowski, Vertigo, Wizard of Oz, Toy Story, Terminator, Aliens, Blazing Saddles, American Werewolf in London, 28 Days Later, Planet of the Apes (original, as well as parts 3 & 4) - you get the drift.
  • Options

Some guilty pleasure movies for me range from the Shining, Crank, Empire Strikes Back, Blade Runner, Better Off Dead, Ghostbusters, Lost Boys, Robocop, Purple Rain, Transporter, Spider-Man, Wild At Heart, Predator, Shaun of the Dead, Office Space, Big Lebowski, Vertigo, Wizard of Oz, Toy Story, Terminator, Aliens, Blazing Saddles, American Werewolf in London, 28 Days Later, Planet of the Apes (original, as well as parts 3 & 4) - you get the drift.

Fixed this for you. I would hardly call many of your original list things to feel guilty about.
  • Options
    Well, "guilt" is a strong word I suppose. Let's just say that I've re-watched them all more times than I'd care to admit :)
  • Options

Inception - It looked great and sported really cool effects, but it was barely wachable. Dumb plot, unlikable characters. Very forced story.

Avatar - gorgeous, illogical movie with a trite, recycled plot that could be fully summed up with “Trees good! Natives good! Military bad!”
    Unobtanium - 'nuff said.

2001: A Space Odyssey - pioneering visual effects that would evolve into movies like Star Wars and Close Encounters, but it lacked the storytelling that made those later films great. In short, 2001 is a three-hour bore. Heavily edited by the studio. And Kubrick is someone whose films I genuinely admire.

Wild at Heart is one of my favorite movies ever made. I am a hard core David Lynch fanboy.

Sailor: Did I ever tell ya that this here jacket represents a symbol of my individuality, and my belief in personal freedom?
    Lula: About fifty thousand times.

• Options
    edited October 2014

Unobtanium - 'nuff said.

Wild at Heart is one of my favorite movies ever made. I am a hard core David Lynch fanboy.

Sailor: Did I ever tell ya that this here jacket represents a symbol of my individuality, and my belief in personal freedom?
    Lula: About fifty thousand times.

I submit it was probably Lynch's most tame outing, and probably most coherent for many, but I have watched that movie at least 50 times. Love all the snakeskin jacket mentions and Elvis references along with the music too. The characters are clever and colorful, beyond just Willem Defoe - who is awesome in it. Lynch's cast is spot on.

My dog barks, some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type o' dog which I have. Perhaps you might even picture Toto... from "The Wizard of Oz." But I can tell you, my dog is all ways with me.
    ARF!

Jack (Eraserhead) Nance in a stolen scene as Bose “Double Aught” Spool

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    It's A Wonderful Life
    The Sound of Music
    E.T.
    Apocalypse Now
    Annie Hall
    Dances With Wolves

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

This time of year I'm always reminded how much I don't enjoy The Nightmare Before Christmas at all. It has built up such a huge cult following over the years, but I found it to be painfully boring and I don't care for the songs (admittedly, my Danny Elfman tolerance is low).

The Nolan Batman movies, particularly Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises. I like The Dark Knight alright, but as @Adam_Murdough‌ once said (quoting Peter Griffin), "it insists upon itself" a bit too much. I just can't get behind a Batman who quits in the face of tragedy, and one that does almost none of his own detective work. Sure, he can kick ass creatively, but take Lucius and Alfred out of the equation and he's toast. Batman should always be the most clever guy in the room, and I never once got that feeling in any of these.

Drive - It's like two movies awkwardly stitched together, it's too damn quiet, and I just don't like Ryan Gosling. Albert Brooks was great, though; I'll give it that.

Dr. Strangelove - There are parts I think are extremely funny and parts that die on screen and still stretch out into eternity. It's just kind of a jumbled mess and falls apart as a result.

This is Spinal Tap - All the funny parts that everyone always quotes? They all happen in the first half of the movie, which is great. The second half gets really dull for me, right about the time Michael McKean's character meets his Yoko.

Where the Wild Things Are - The trailer might be the best, most beautiful short film ever made. I legitimately teared up a little the first time I saw it. The actual movie took my favorite book as a little kid and turned into an angry, angsty, creepy, boring mess. I can't remember ever leaving a theater so disappointed in my life.

Just need to interject here on TDK; Batman "vanished" because it'd make Dent still look like a hero & an ideal for Gothamites to look to. Plus, it'd rid those wannabe Batman followers from going out at night.

M
  • Options
    Can I also throw out there, Old School is Will Farrell's best movie...but that's because he wasn't the lead role.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I don't really care to watch the Christopher Reeves Superman movies.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    random73 said:

Scarface: unpleasant people doing unpleasant things with unpleasant results
    The Lord of the Rings: I just don't care. They bore me. Books and movies.

I get so much crap for not liking the novels or the films. I did enjoy the Hobbit book.

Now my list.

Jaws-Robert Shaw is amazing in this. But as my Uncle use to say you take a 1lb of ice cream/Robert Shaw and in a pound of crap/the rest of the film and you end up with 2lbs of crap.

Forrest Gump-Totally changes what is a good book,into another Tom Hanks wants to get an Oscar film.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises-I never feel the need to watch them again. Which isn't something I can say for TDK.

Any and all Superman films-Just not a fan of Superman. Never have been.

• Options
    I've been trying to think of some and realize when I try to approach it objectively, there's not too many on my list.

Grease & Scarface probably top the list. I just despise Grease from having to watch it so many times growing up with my sisters. Scarface I thought was greatly overrated.

Sure there are others on my list; Wall Street, Apocalypes Now, Highlander, Dirty Harry, to name a few. Looking at them objectively, they're all movies I've just seen in the last year. The hype & dated stuff felt dated. Plus, I've seen the replicants so many times the originals seem watered down.

All in all, no matter how high the praise, my viewing selections have nearly always come down to what I like. Even with high praise (Avatar, Hunger Games, Harry Potter) if it doesn't look interesting I'm just not going to waste my time.

M
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    I never much cared for Ghostbusters . The idea was good, but the film never clicked for me.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    David_D said:

kiwijase said:

I never much cared for Ghostbusters . The idea was good, but the film never clicked for me.

Christmas Card List Updates:

Kiwijase ;)
    Who's David D not gonna call?... Me! Sorry mate!

;)
  • Options
    Dumb and Dumber
  • Options

Dumb and Dumber

Oh hell yeah! The movie has one good joke and it's one they stole from Norm Crosby. The rest is just annoying and lame, R rated humor for small children.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

The Godfather movies - yawn

*GASP!!*