Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Beloved movies you don't care for

Comments

• Options
    Torchsong said:

It's those 90s strips I'm thinking of. They were more random than Zippy the Pinhead sometimes. I just chalked it up to age because Schultz is a big influence on me. God forbid Barbrabarian run for 40 years, it'll probably be even less coherent! :)

Wait, Zippy is random? Should I be worried I follow it fairly easily?
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Matt said:

Let me add Charlie Brown & the Great Pumpkin to the list. Turned it on for my daughter & 5 minutes in remember why it's been years since I've watched it. Just not a fan of the Peanuts crew.

M

I'm with you on that. Same is true for Winnie the Pooh. Both seem to have every character serving as the archetype for a character flaw (possible exceptions - Roo, Kanga. Snoopy and Woodstock).
    You both have no soul!!!! :)>-
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

hauberk said:

Matt said:

Let me add Charlie Brown & the Great Pumpkin to the list. Turned it on for my daughter & 5 minutes in remember why it's been years since I've watched it. Just not a fan of the Peanuts crew.

M

I'm with you on that. Same is true for Winnie the Pooh. Both seem to have every character serving as the archetype for a character flaw (possible exceptions - Roo, Kanga. Snoopy and Woodstock).
    This is a true statement but hardly a new revelation...
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

hauberk said:

Matt said:

M

Neuron deal, no biggie.

M
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    photo 253901_full_zps4df5ae02.gif

Haw! I get it!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Matt said:

Just need to interject here on TDK; Batman "vanished" because it'd make Dent still look like a hero & an ideal for Gothamites to look to. Plus, it'd rid those wannabe Batman followers from going out at night.

M

Okay, I guess I can see that, but I also see that you're not refuting the idea that Bale's Batman didn't do much of his own detective work. ;)
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

Woody Allen movies - Pretty much any that I have tried to watch are very self loathing and self indulgent, and I get that it's the point of many of these movies, but I just don't get it.

The thing with Woody Allen movies is that you only really need to see a few of them. Watch Sleeper and What's Up, Tiger Lily? to get the idea of his early stuff, and then see Annie Hall and you'll get the point of everything else. Even his movies that involve some element of fantasy (Midnight in Paris, for instance) are still pretty samey... intellectual shlubby guy manages to get a (sometimes much) younger woman to fall in love with him, he competes with pompous pseudo-intellectual windbag for her attention, things fall apart but that's okay because another (sometimes much younger still) woman comes along for him before the movie's over. The only real difference is that in his more recent movies the Woody Allen part is being played by another actor.

And given how much younger his love interests tended to be, every bad thing ever said about him really seems plausible.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Woody Allen movies - Pretty much any that I have tried to watch are very self loathing and self indulgent, and I get that it's the point of many of these movies, but I just don't get it.

The thing with Woody Allen movies is that you only really need to see a few of them. Watch Sleeper and What's Up, Tiger Lily? to get the idea of his early stuff, and then see Annie Hall and you'll get the point of everything else. Even his movies that involve some element of fantasy (Midnight in Paris, for instance) are still pretty samey... intellectual shlubby guy manages to get a (sometimes much) younger woman to fall in love with him, he competes with pompous pseudo-intellectual windbag for her attention, things fall apart but that's okay because another (sometimes much younger still) woman comes along for him before the movie's over. The only real difference is that in his more recent movies the Woody Allen part is being played by another actor.

And given how much younger his love interests tended to be, every bad thing ever said about him really seems plausible.
    I've seen all of those on multiple occasions. I agree with the formula but, aside from young Diane Keaton, that does nothing to forward the cause of Woody Allen movies in my eyes. I've got little recollection on Tiger Lily, aside from the fact that it was a redub of a Japanese movie to turn it into something else. I'm assuming that the revised dialog carries the formula through?

While I'm back in this thread, I should also add Robert Altman to my list. Yeah, I know he gave us M*A*S*H but I've never had the same fondness for the movie as for the TV series and aside from that, I cannot recall anything that he's done that I enjoyed.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Woody Allen movies-I agree I just don't see the appeal.

It's A Wonderful Life-There are far better Christmas movies.

The Wizard of Oz-It's okay but a lot of it is kind of dull.

Groundhog Day-I just flat out don't like it.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Quinten Tarintino movies - I don't know why but they just bore the hell out of me.

Gone with the Wind - It's just so long and very uninteresting.

• Options
    hauberk said:

I've seen all of those on multiple occasions. I agree with the formula but, aside from young Diane Keaton, that does nothing to forward the cause of Woody Allen movies in my eyes. I've got little recollection on Tiger Lily, aside from the fact that it was a redub of a Japanese movie to turn it into something else. I'm assuming that the revised dialog carries the formula through?

While I'm back in this thread, I should also add Robert Altman to my list. Yeah, I know he gave us M*A*S*H but I've never had the same fondness for the movie as for the TV series and aside from that, I cannot recall anything that he's done that I enjoyed.
    the film version of M.A.S.H. bores the hell out of me. I can't make it through it. I try to watch it. I don't find anything funny about it at all. The characters are unlikeable. Nothing. Nothing there to appeal to me.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    kiwijase said:

Haw! I get it!

Thanks - I was trying to recall specific examples, but they were all so random that all I could recall was my own general sense of bewilderment at reading them.

Is this supposed to be a reference to Al Pacino's "You're out of order, he's out of order..." speech from "And Justice For All"? Or am I over-analyzing? And what the hell does F.Scott Fitgerald have to do with anything?

I wonder if at any point the syndicate ever asked Schultz to explain what he was doing, or if he was just so powerful and respected that he could pretty much do what he wanted.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

I always viewed Woody Allen as someone who started out making very funny films, but for whatever reason felt like those were beneath him, or were at least somehow lesser than other types of films, and then proceeded down a path that more often than not yields films that are often pretentious, self-absorbed, or just plain dull.

Every now and then he strikes gold (or something close): Annie Hall, Purple Rose of Cairo, Match Point... and there are some others I haven't seen that I'm told are also good.

And whether or not he actually did the most horrible things he's accused of, it'll always seem weird to me that so many people defend him after taking up with his long-term girlfriend's adopted daughter. If that kind of activity happened in a trailer park, people would call him sleazy white trash, Instead, everyone in Hollywood goes on about how great he is.

As for Robert Altman - I've never gotten him either. A few years ago a podcast did a marathon discussion of some of his films, and they were very, very hit or miss. Even when he does something good, it often feels successful in spite of him, as if something decent managed to congeal out of the mess he put together. Nashville and The Player, for example.

For anyone wanting to experience one of the most boring sci-fi films ever made, check out Altman's Quintet.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

kiwijase said:

Haw! I get it!

Thanks - I was trying to recall specific examples, but they were all so random that all I could recall was my own general sense of bewilderment at reading them.

Is this supposed to be a reference to Al Pacino's "You're out of order, he's out of order..." speech from "And Justice For All"? Or am I over-analyzing? And what the hell does F.Scott Fitgerald have to do with anything?

I wonder if at any point the syndicate ever asked Schultz to explain what he was doing, or if he was just so powerful and respected that he could pretty much do what he wanted.
    That looks like a strip taken out of the middle of a series. I seem to recall newspaper strips having a theme that built in the daily paper to a finalie or punch line in the Sunday color segment. That looks like a cartoon without the surrounding context.
  • Options
    random73 said:

chrisw said:

kiwijase said:

Haw! I get it!

That looks like a strip taken out of the middle of a series. I seem to recall newspaper strips having a theme that built in the daily paper to a finalie or punch line in the Sunday color segment. That looks like a cartoon without the surrounding context.
    Possibly, but there were times when it was that random.

Even if it is part of an ongoing plot, it's still an odd panel for a Peanuts strip.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Another film

There Will Be Blood-take away Daniel Day Lewis' performance and your left with a generally lousy film
  • Options
    DAR said:

Another film

There Will Be Blood-take away Daniel Day Lewis' performance and your left with a generally lousy film

I agree. There just wasn't much for me to grab hold of with that film. Lewis was great, but for a film that's two and a half hours long, I can't recall much more than a handful of moments from it.

And it made me feel stupid, because I went through the whole film not realizing that in his first scene, Paul Dano was playing the twin brother of his main character in the film. Apparently I missed some dialogue, so I spent the entire film trying to figure out why he would tell Lewis about the land, and then resist selling it to him.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I was a life long Peanuts reader and tracked down most of the strips in re-prints back when that was an accomplishment. Peanuts always had a philosophical flavor to it every so often even in it's earlier strips. IIRC he sprinkled in weird bits like that every so often, it was always off putting coming out of Linus's or Schroeder's mouth, even more so a beagle's. It was not just towards the end of his run, though I will admit his best work was not towards the end.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

I was a life long Peanuts reader and tracked down most of the strips in re-prints back when that was an accomplishment. Peanuts always had a philosophical flavor to it every so often even in it's earlier strips. IIRC he sprinkled in weird bits like that every so often, it was always off putting coming out of Linus's or Schroeder's mouth, even more so a beagle's. It was not just towards the end of his run, though I will admit his best work was not towards the end.

I've read up through much of the '60s, and you're right, he does do that more often than people realize. I don't recall it being as jarring as his later strips, though, and they usually worked day by day. They might be part of a storyline, but they could still work out of context.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Instead of the repetitious Peanuts loathing, where's the For Better Of Worse, Dick Tracy, Judge Parker, Prince Valiant, Cathy, or Gasoline Alley disapproval? Can I get a witness??

Oh wait, we were talking about beloved movies... my bad.
  • Options

shroud68 said:

Boo on all the Forest Gump haters. Where did your soul go? When he sees his son for the first time...... I'm crying now.......Forest Gump rules!

I hated, hated, HATED the underlying message of the film: Just shut up and do as you are told and you'll be rich and happy! And Jenny may be the most loathsome character in the history of film.

I KNOW people disagree with me. There is someone I have known since before the movie came out, and every so often, she'll just let me know out the blue that I am wrong about Forest Gump.
    Since you said "shut the hell up and you'll be rich", roughly, twice in this thread about Forest Gump, I'll say three things... 1. I never was presented with that synopsis of that movie, nor did I ever come up with that in my own mind. 2. He gets rich from the shrimp business which kicked off with him and Dan out in the boat in the storm. Dan yelled at God (opposite of shutting the hell up), yet were "lucky" enough that they were the only boat left at sea and could get all the shrimp that the bigger boats were getting. 3. Why does it have to be about money? That was a subplot/part of the story of the movie. The major plot was the love story.

I agree with those mentioning Will Ferrell movies, except as someone said Stranger than Fiction.

My big one though, that I did see one person mention, is Gladiator.

Also Chicago.

And a couple others, that I really just need to watch again because the only time I watched them were as a kid, are Joe versus the Volcano and Casablanca. I hated the former walking out of the theater with my grandpa. For the latter, I've seen it, the movie, you know, within a movie, represented/discussed in at least a couple other movies more times, and more recently, than the movie itself... When Harry Met Sally and Play It Again Sam.
  • Options
    Oh, the "love story" was bad too. "Keep pining for someone who treats you horribly and maybe she'll pity you for a while." Meh.
  • Options

Oh, the "love story" was bad too. "Keep pining for someone who treats you horribly and maybe she'll pity you for a while." Meh.

That helps me understand. Thanks.

Another couple movies that I find now that I think about opening IMDB and looking at what I've given low ratings are Bad Santa and Kingpin. They're the only other things that I really hate that has some appeal to some people out there.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Kingpin? really
    The Big Ernst is the greatest. I love it.
  • Options
    I find that I like Forrest Gump less and less each time I see it. It was enjoyable enough the first time I saw it, but each showing amplifies the things I always didn't like about it.

There are times I've watched it and found it absurd and cynical, with no point at all, that life is simply unpredictable. At those times, I've actually enjoyed the movie. But over the years it's acquired all these messages and meanings, and it's become almost impossible for me to separate it from those.

It's been a long time since I read the book, but it's a lot darker and more mean-spirited than the movie. For example, in the book, it's not "Life is like a box of chocolates", it's "Being an idiot is no box of chocolates".
  • Options
    Everything by the exceptionally shitty Tim Burton.

(with the exception of Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, and parts of Edward Scissorhands)
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Long list for me.

Jaws-Love Robert Shaw in the film,hate everything else.
    Exorcist-Never saw a film that is considered a horror classic be so boring.
    Dumb and Dumber-Went opening night and wanted to walk out after 10 minutes. In comedies I can handle Jim Carrey for about 10 minutes before I want him to shut up.
    Forest Gump-Just flat out bad. Tom Hanks doesn't work for me doing dramatic roles.
    Independence Day-Heard how great this was. Went to see it and it was all big effects shots and Will Smith telling bad one liners. Hell add most Will Smith movies to my list. Never seen another actor I found so bad that everyone seems to love.
    This is Spinal Tap-Might be because I saw it years after I should have.By the time I saw it I had already heard most of the major jokes. I think I chuckled 3 times while watching it.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

Everything by the exceptionally shitty Tim Burton.

(with the exception of Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, and parts of Edward Scissorhands)

But… but I loved Nightmare Before Christmas! And Batman! (The first one, anyway.)