Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Suicide Squad - The Movie *Now with spoilers*

As reported at Newsarama and elsewhere...

Jared Leto is The Joker.
Will Smith is Deadshot.
Tom Hardy is Rick Flag.
Margot Robbie is Harley Quinn.
Jai Courtney is Boomerang.
Cara Delevinge is Enchantress.

I'm pretty excited for this movie... but I'd be more excited if Will Smith wasn't in it... I don't want this to be a "Will Smith" movie.

I'm not familiar with Robbie or Delevinge.

Comments

• Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited December 2014
    Be sure to check out Scorsese's Wolf of Wall Street where Robbie played Leonardo DiCaprio's trophy wife. She's very good in that. Also, she will appear as Jane opposite Alexander Skarsgard's Tarzan in2016. Samuel L. Jackson & Christoph Waltz are also set to appear.

Any chance that Smith's Deadshot makes an appearance on Gotham?
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Will Smith is not Deadshot...but he could be Bronze Tiger.

(Sorry to be 'that guy').
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    JaxUr said:

Be sure to check out Scorsese's Wolf of Wall Street where Robbie played Leonardo DiCaprio's trophy wife. She's very good in that. Also, she will appear as Jane opposite Alexander Skarsgard's Tarzan in2016. Samuel L. Jackson & Christoph Waltz are also set to appear.

I would say there is zero chance of that happening. Tv is going yo be kept separate for the movies.
  • Options

JaxUr said:

I would say there is zero chance of that happening. Tv is going yo be kept separate for the movies.
    But he could work for his wife!!! Synergy!
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I know it won't happen but why not have Deadshot meet Fish Mooney? I'll tell you who I want to see turn up in Gotham is Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) as King Tut! Make it happen tv gods!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I like the director's work, but this sounds like a potential train wreck. Then again, so did GotG so I'll just wait until we see some trailers in another year. We may all be ready to see a few super powered protagonists actually get killed after being so flush with standard superhero fare for so long. Good on 'em.
  • Options
    JaxUr said:

I'll tell you who I want to see turn up in Gotham is Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) as King Tut! Make it happen tv gods!

*Head explodes*

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Wow, big-name additions to this cast. With the addition of Smith, this has instantly become a BIIIG movie. And with the addition of Tom Hardy, it's become a movie with potentially some great acting in it. Robbie certainly looks the part, and if the Joker is in it too, well, this movie could be really great.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Still waiting for the two most important casting announcements:

Nightshade - and yes, I'll be waiting a loong time, I know! :)

and for all seriousness

The Wall - if we can't have Angela Bassett back, Oprah Winfrey has been rumored. Before you start snickering, think about it...she could totally be the ballbreaker we know Waller is. I'm in if this is how they go with it.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

and for all seriousness

The Wall - if we can't have Angela Bassett back, Oprah Winfrey has been rumored. Before you start snickering, think about it...she could totally be the ballbreaker we know Waller is. I'm in if this is how they go with it.

"Suicide Squuuuuuuuaaaaaad!!!!! You get an assassin, you get an assassin and you get an assassin!"
  • Options

Torchsong said:

and for all seriousness

"Suicide Squuuuuuuuaaaaaad!!!!! You get an assassin, you get an assassin and you get an assassin!"
  • Options
    Robbie was great in WoWS. And I am excited about the casting announcement for Waller, when it comes. I am hoping Joker has a small part in this one, perhaps as a set up for him to appear in a future JLA flick? And who else thinks the Enchantress is getting her head blown off sooner rather than later in this movie?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I hadn't heard the rumor about Winfrey, but I think that would be absolutely bonkers and punk rock and great casting. The stories in the industry about her as a boss are pretty legendary. I think she could channel having been such a longtime producer/exec into being Waller sending people to their deaths.

Also, she was excellent in Beloved. A very different role than Waller, but it showed her chops.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

and for all seriousness

Just wanted to point out that John drew this for “The Line It is Drawn” well over a year ago.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    The casting seems to say that WB is taking this seriously. Like Wil Smith or not his is still a big name to be in what I hope to be an ensemble piece. Hardy is on the upswing and Leto is as left of center there is in a somewhat marketable name. Less spoken of but equally important is David Ayers as director ( Fury,Sabotage) which seems to indicate violence and more violence. Great sign for a movie called Suicide Squad . Still hopeful 18 or so months out.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I too like all the casting choices so far, with the exception of Will Smith. I just don't see it. Happy to be proved wrong though!

Oprah would be a cool Waller.
  • Options
    I'm actually looking forward to this more than Superman v. Batman...
  • Options
    Wow. Oprah is a tremendous actress. She'd be fantastic as Amanda Waller.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    I'm really happy with where this project seems to be going.

I've heard other sites say that Oprah is confirmed, but I still don't think it's official yet. Actually I'd stay in disbelief about that casting even AFTER I saw the movie. It'd be a case of "I can't believe I just saw that. I can't believe that just happened."
  • Options
    New casting rumors around Academy Award and Emmy Nominee Viola Davis as Waller.

All still rumors, we'll see. I would have been more excited for Oprah, but if these rumors are true, they are definitely looking for a very strong dramatic actor for The Wall, which is cool. As others have said, with the cast as it is shaping up, Suicide Squad is looking more interesting to me than Batman V Superman (though I'll see that, too.)
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    As interesting as Oprah would be, I haven't seen her act in so long that I'm not sure she could pull it off. She was fine in The Color Purple, but by the time I saw her in Beloved, I felt like the years of being a talk show host as opposed to an actor had begun to take their toll. Or, maybe it's just a matter of having a harder time seeing her as anything other than Oprah. Same thing happens when I catch an older film with Jon Stewart. I can't shake the feeling that I'm watching Jon Stewart cameo in a movie, not someone playing a character.

I have a hard time imagining Oprah wanting to do a film like that anyway. She certainly doesn't need the money, and I don't see her having any particular passion for the project.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    chrisw said:

I have a hard time imagining Oprah wanting to do a film like that anyway. She certainly doesn't need the money, and I don't see her having any particular passion for the project.

I have a feeling right now agents everywhere are trying to get a comic book role for anyone they represent. It's hot right now to do them and until that bubble bursts (hopefully a long way off) I would imagine* everyone is clamoring to be a part of comic-based property being brought to the screen. I don't know** that even Oprah would be immune to at least considering it.

* because imagining is all I can really do, as my knowledge and know-how of how Hollywood runs itself extends to "I would like you to stop halfway when filling up my popcorn and put a layer of butter topping on it before filling it the rest of the way up."

** And I don't know because my experience with Oprah extends to watching her show maybe once or twice.
  • Options
    I get that, but in looking over her IMDB page, she's only done around a half dozen acting jobs in which she really took on a role (I'm leaving out voice work or times she played herself), and not a single one of them could be categorized as something other than serious dramas related in some way to the black experience. I just don't see her going "Eff it, I wanna boss the Joker around for two hours!", awesome as that might be.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    chrisw said:

As interesting as Oprah would be, I haven't seen her act in so long that I'm not sure she could pull it off. She was fine in The Color Purple, but by the time I saw her in Beloved, I felt like the years of being a talk show host as opposed to an actor had begun to take their toll. Or, maybe it's just a matter of having a harder time seeing her as anything other than Oprah. Same thing happens when I catch an older film with Jon Stewart. I can't shake the feeling that I'm watching Jon Stewart cameo in a movie, not someone playing a character.

I found it a surprising rumor for those reasons, too. Which is why, had it come true, I would have been excited because it would have meant that, for some reason, she really liked the character and wanted to do it or had something to bring to it. Or had been a closet comic nerd this whole time, or something like that. Because, I agree, she must already have all the money in the world, and plenty of things to do, and seems to choose roles based on what she believes in, rather than to build and continue an acting career.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Viola Davis, eh?

I have no clue who that is, and I'm fine with that.

(Same as the rest of the cast, as excluding Hardy and Smith)
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I have to say, does anyone notice the business model for acting talent between DCCU & MCU? With a couple exceptions, it seems like Marvel Studios is casting characters with virtually lesser known actors/actresses.

DCCU, with a couple exceptions, seems to be casting A (or more known) actors/actresses. Maybe it's just me, but I look at the cast for Suicide Squad & I see more known actors (rumored) filling roles then, say GOTG did with their lesser known characters.

For some reason, I'm more impressed with Marvel's casting model then DCCU. I can see most of their casting returning (if they haven't already) for cameos or supporting roles in other movies. I don't get that feeling with Will Smith or Tom Hardy.

M
  • Options
    DC is really messing up with their casting choices, how could you put will smith as deadshot, HOW?!??!?!?!?!??!??!??!??!?!?!??!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?
  • Options

DC is really messing up with their casting choices, how could you put will smith as deadshot, HOW?!??!?!?!?!??!??!??!??!?!?!??!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

What's wrong with it?

• Options
    Matt said:

I have to say, does anyone notice the business model for acting talent between DCCU & MCU? With a couple exceptions, it seems like Marvel Studios is casting characters with virtually lesser known actors/actresses.

DCCU, with a couple exceptions, seems to be casting A (or more known) actors/actresses. Maybe it's just me, but I look at the cast for Suicide Squad & I see more known actors (rumored) filling roles then, say GOTG did with their lesser known characters.

For some reason, I'm more impressed with Marvel's casting model then DCCU. I can see most of their casting returning (if they haven't already) for cameos or supporting roles in other movies. I don't get that feeling with Will Smith or Tom Hardy.

M

I enjoy lesser-known actors, since I can fully immerse myself into the film. Although good acting/story can make me forget about who's who.
  • Options
    I was actually a little impressed they got Smith to do A) a comic book franchise, and B) join as part of an ensemble cast. He wouldn't even do Django Unchained because he didn't want to share billing with DiCaprio (and may have even wanted Christoph Waltz's character written out, if rumors are true).

I understand the reasons for going with unknowns, both creatively and financially, but Nolan's Batman films were known for casting well-known, big name actors, so I'm not surprised some of that would continue with future DC films.