Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Suicide Squad - The Movie *Now with spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited July 2015
    bamfbamf said:

just passing along what i see in tweets

i would say... 85% were positive reactions to ant-man
    10% were feminists complaining about Hope and Janet Van Dyne
    5% were people who has not seen the movie saying it looks stupid

This is the wrong thread for the discussion, but aside from making the movie Wasp, what did they want?

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

bamfbamf said:

just passing along what i see in tweets

i would say... 85% were positive reactions to ant-man
    10% were feminists complaining about Hope and Janet Van Dyne
    5% were people who has not seen the movie saying it looks stupid

This is the wrong thread for the discussion, but aside from making the movie Wasp, what did they want?

M
    To complain.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Who'd rather watch the movie like this?

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Who'd rather watch the movie like this?

I'm in.

• Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    I'll tell you this:

My COMIC friends HATE Leto Joker (for the most part).
    My NON-COMIC friends LOVE Leto Joker and cannot WAIT to see it (for the most part).

Seeing the trailer, I'm more confident in Leto Joker based on VOICE AND LAUGH. The LOOK still bugs me alot. But because of the voice and laugh I'm just going to wait and see. I'm going to see the movie anyways, so I may as well reserve judgement.

As it stands, it might make sense for Joker and Harley to look like they do. I don't KNOW this world they exist in. I don't know these characters histories. For all I know, their histories, the world they exist in, the nature of their past crimes, etc. make it so their looks make PERFECT sense.

I know the DC Universe quite well, but I don't know THIS DC Universe. In the DC Universe I know, Joker would NEVER look like this (according to how I define things).

Man of Steel gave me a glimpse, but an EXTREMELY limited glimpse of this Universe. BvS:DOJ will give me a much broader look. Suicide Squad even more so. So I'll wait until I grasp the Universe before I dismiss it's inhabitants out of hand.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I like Leto Joker; i think he looks like an insane clown.
    I've seen about 100 different versions of the Joker in lifetime; leto look Joker is no different than any of the myriad of Jokers I've been OK with.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I'll tell you this:

My COMIC friends HATE Leto Joker (for the most part).
    My NON-COMIC friends LOVE Leto Joker and cannot WAIT to see it (for the most part).

Seeing the trailer, I'm more confident in Leto Joker based on VOICE AND LAUGH. The LOOK still bugs me alot. But because of the voice and laugh I'm just going to wait and see. I'm going to see the movie anyways, so I may as well reserve judgement.

As it stands, it might make sense for Joker and Harley to look like they do. I don't KNOW this world they exist in. I don't know these characters histories. For all I know, their histories, the world they exist in, the nature of their past crimes, etc. make it so their looks make PERFECT sense.

I know the DC Universe quite well, but I don't know THIS DC Universe. In the DC Universe I know, Joker would NEVER look like this (according to how I define things).

Man of Steel gave me a glimpse, but an EXTREMELY limited glimpse of this Universe. BvS:DOJ will give me a much broader look. Suicide Squad even more so. So I'll wait until I grasp the Universe before I dismiss it's inhabitants out of hand.

I know that I do not find this DC Universe appealing.

In fact, I know that I find this DC Universe appalling.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I've seen about 100 different versions of the Joker in lifetime; leto look Joker is no different than any of the myriad of Jokers I've been OK with.

That's why many people are referring to him as a "juggalo" which is a name given to fans of the group Insane Clown Posse

• Options

mwhitt80 said:

That's why many people are referring to him as a "juggalo" which is a name given to fans of the group Insane Clown Posse

Which isn't endearing since Juggalos are considered to be beyond annoying.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I listen to Colt Cabana I know what the juggalos are. I watched them wrestle in the late 90s.

All I'm saying is what's the difference between juggaloker and belted-on-face-Joker or nicholas-joker or triangle-mouth-Joker or Joker-with-a-two-foot-chin-that-is-pointer-than-a-knife or insert-any-other-version Joker.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I suppose everyone's mileage varies. I've worked with Leto's band, 30 Seconds to Mars, and already have intimate knowledge of him that unfortunatley sort of biases me against him. This has surely ruined my perspective on several of his projects, for my tastes. That being said, I also think this interpretation makes the character look somewhat 'small time' and thug-ish, in order to appear "gritty."

Although, I will say that if it turns out that this Joker is actually a former Robin, then that would be a game-changer for me.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Nothing about this looks good to me.
  • Options
    I'm disappointed that the new trailer hasn't increased my enthusiasm for this, Deadpool still holds my interest more, and that's probably a Netflix add as well. However, I am glad to see the trailer because it reminded me of this awesome remix.

https://youtu.be/GF8QWSW0UbY
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

I'm disappointed that the new trailer hasn't increased my enthusiasm for this, Deadpool still holds my interest more, and that's probably a Netflix add as well. However, I am glad to see the trailer because it reminded me of this awesome remix.

https://youtu.be/GF8QWSW0UbY

I'm 180 degrees on this one (aside from the Queen remix). Deadpool is far more likely to be the Netflix pic and Suicide Squad more likely the trip to the theater.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    This movie looks like so much fun!

Not as fun as Deadpool, but still, pretty fun.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Looks interesting and entertaining enough. Nothing but nit picks from me at this stage but I'm in. Will either bet a pleasant cool surprise or a dud but I'm more optimistic for this than bvs.
  • Options
    Oh my, let this be better than Ant Man please!
  • Options
    I can definitely see some Guardians of the Galaxy nods in that trailer.

M
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Like it. More interested in seeing how this does then BvS. To see if they can sell any movie idea like Marvel can?
  • Options
    Does the Suicide Squad have mass general audience appeal, like say a Batman movie, or like Ant-Man? No one that I associate with in daily life has even heard of Suicide Squad and don't know who Harley Quinn is either. They do know Batman and the Joker, but this 'Juggalo' version isn't recognizable to them.

However, it was similar for Ant-Man. @Matt's comparison to Guardians of the Galaxy is probably apt as well. Although this movie looks much more in line with DC's recent "darker & grittier" tone than GotG. Not even close. When compared to the unknown Marvel properties that did well, the difference is those had a lot of comedy elements and looked bright and colorful and seemed fun for the whole family. General audience appeal.

Similar to the possibilities of Deadpool, this film may only appeal to fans. For every R-rated comics sleeper hit like Kick-Ass or Kingsman there's a Kick-Ass 2 or Dredd that failed (I really liked Dredd).

However, this movie has Batman and the Joker. Could it do a billion dollars? I predict the next trailer is all about Batman and Joker. Any predictions on domestic gross (US)?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    The Orb is in this movie?!?!?!?! Does Marvel know?

• Options
    It looks dumb, but not exactly in a bad way. I'll probably catch it when it's on HBO.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I wasn't overtly familiar with the Suicide Squad, the teaser had my interest, this trailer has my attention
  • Options

Does the Suicide Squad have mass general audience appeal, like say a Batman movie, or like Ant-Man? No one that I associate with in daily life has even heard of Suicide Squad and don't know who Harley Quinn is either. They do know Batman and the Joker, but this 'Juggalo' version isn't recognizable to them.

However, it was similar for Ant-Man. @Matt's comparison to Guardians of the Galaxy is probably apt as well. Although this movie looks much more in line with DC's recent "darker & grittier" tone than GotG. Not even close. When compared to the unknown Marvel properties that did well, the difference is those had a lot of comedy elements and looked bright and colorful and seemed fun for the whole family. General audience appeal.

Similar to the possibilities of Deadpool, this film may only appeal to fans. For every R-rated comics sleeper hit like Kick-Ass or Kingsman there's a Kick-Ass 2 or Dredd that failed (I really liked Dredd).

However, this movie has Batman and the Joker. Could it do a billion dollars? I predict the next trailer is all about Batman and Joker. Any predictions on domestic gross (US)?

The retro music, the comedic drops, and the "bad guys are heroes" angles in this trailer just reminded too much of this

http://youtu.be/2LIQ2-PZBC8

Good? Bad? Not certain, but definitely seemed to me this is looking to ride the coat tails.

M
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I see your point @Matt but even a wise-cracking racoon like Rocket has a bit of family movie vibe appeal, even if he is shooting a deadly assault weapon... :)

Of course, Will Smith may be all the wise-cracking, comedy relief that SS needs.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    This all really wants to make me re-watch Assault on Arkham.
  • Options

I see your point @Matt but even a wise-cracking racoon like Rocket has a bit of family movie vibe appeal, even if he is shooting a deadly assault weapon... :)

Of course, Will Smith may be all the wise-cracking, comedy relief that SS needs.

I actually thought Harley would be the raccoon of this movie.

M
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

I actually thought Harley would be the raccoon of this movie.

M
    “I am Croc.”