Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Real Life, Real Talk - The Community Support Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    mwhitt80 said:

Right after I got married the only job I could was a janitor at the church I attended. It was crushing to me.
    I had been working as an accountant for 5 years, but I was also trying to finish my degree and we got married in the middle of 2007 when everything was starting its downward spiral. It was a hardway to start a marriage. My wife was in gradschool for history so that compounded everything even more. It was tough emotionally.

We made it through though and I was humbled more than any point in my life. Looking back 8 years it was one of the most important things that ever happened to me. It made me reavaluate myself and define what was important. I would not trade the shame and crushing blow to myself for anything because of the I learned at the time.
    And by God I clean a toliet and mop a floor with pride now.

awesome and inspriring
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mwhitt80 said:

Right after I got married the only job I could was a janitor at the church I attended. It was crushing to me.
    I had been working as an accountant for 5 years, but I was also trying to finish my degree and we got married in the middle of 2007 when everything was starting its downward spiral. It was a hardway to start a marriage. My wife was in gradschool for history so that compounded everything even more. It was tough emotionally.

We made it through though and I was humbled more than any point in my life. Looking back 8 years it was one of the most important things that ever happened to me. It made me reavaluate myself and define what was important. I would not trade the shame and crushing blow to myself for anything because of the I learned at the time.

Not to diminish your tale at all, but the last line has this stuck in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKR1ScQUpcA
  • Options
    SpydesSpydes Posts: 35
    @SolitaireRose , please understand that it was never my intent to diminish your concerns about your job by mentioning that you may have extra spare time. I fully understand the severity of your situation and empathize. Hopefully, you can find something positive in an otherwise unfortunate situation whether that be newfound appreciation for your family, a deeper dive into your hobbies, or ultimately a more satisfying position/career than the one you leave behind.

Perhaps @mwhitt80 conveyed that notion better than I, with his truly inspiring story of perseverance. Thanks for sharing that, man.

Lastly, it was my pleasure to offer a few suggestions for your plight, @CageNarleigh . And I could not agree more with your sentiments regarding how nice it is to see members of the CGS boards supporting one another. To be honest, a big part of my motivation for joining this forum was to seek out a few new friends who I could share my enthusiasm for comics with. It is good to see that this sense of comradery is strong, and I could not be more excited to be a part of it.

All my best to each of you as you face the challenges of life. Let's never forget the healing power of an intent listener.

8->
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Look at wetrats killing me with a commercial from before I was born. ;)
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I need to get something off of my chest.
    I send email to contractors, gov. types, military folk, and manufacturers all day long and never have a problem with these people understanding me.

Why is then, that when I send emails to church people (I'm director of my church's Soup Kitchen and work in concert with other ministries in the church) or public school administrators, all of a sudden I'm "mean", my messages are "harsh", and I need to apologize to sweet sister "panties in a bunch" or Superintendent "full of himself"?

I've had just about enough of these people.

• Options
    One of the odder aspects of the internet now is how people take tone. Where I work, they still write e-mails as if they are letters with a “good morning” or other such greeting at the top of the e-mail…which I haven’t seen in YEARS. It’s polite, yes, but the point of work e-mail is to quickly convey information. I am guessing that the people who think you are rude are part of the “e-mail is li8ke a formal letter, be chattier” school, whereas I (and I’m guessing most professional folks) have been taught that e-mail shouldn’t veer of topic, should be direct and to the point.

Since they are church people, I’d send along a note stating that you tend to be more direct in e-mail, as you are usually working on deadline. Something to let them know that you aren’t being rude.

Or send something VERY rude and say "What I sent before isn't rude, THIS is rude!"
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I STILL work part-time in a group home for elderly DD adults, so I mop floors, give showers and baths, wipe behinds, make meals and the rest. I've never thought it "demeaning" to do that kind of work, and I think we do everyone a disservice when we point to manual labor and say "Do well in school or you will end up like that!"

As more of our jobs get automated, we will always need people to mop the floor, empty the garbage and take care of us when we can't.

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Look at wetrats killing me with a commercial from before I was born. ;)

They don't make 'em like that anymore.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

One of the odder aspects of the internet now is how people take tone. Where I work, they still write e-mails as if they are letters with a “good morning” or other such greeting at the top of the e-mail…which I haven’t seen in YEARS. It’s polite, yes, but the point of work e-mail is to quickly convey information. I am guessing that the people who think you are rude are part of the “e-mail is li8ke a formal letter, be chattier” school, whereas I (and I’m guessing most professional folks) have been taught that e-mail shouldn’t veer of topic, should be direct and to the point.

Since they are church people, I’d send along a note stating that you tend to be more direct in e-mail, as you are usually working on deadline. Something to let them know that you aren’t being rude.

Or send something VERY rude and say "What I sent before isn't rude, THIS is rude!"

I have considered adding a signature line that would read something like, "This is an e-mail. There is no "tone" or "voice" intended.
  • Options
    rebis said:

I have considered adding a signature line that would read something like, "This is an e-mail. There is no "tone" or "voice" intended.
    "Just the facts, Ma'am."