Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1551 Talkback - Comic Talk

When Kevin Moyer is in-studio and Bryan Deemer's on the line, you know CGS has something big to talk about! First, we mark the passing of artist Herb Trimpe, and Chris talks about his discouraging experience as an exhibitor at the East Coast Comic Con in Seacaucus, NJ. Then, here comes DAREDEVIL, as we devote the second half of this episode to an animated discussion of the new Netflix original series! (1:34:07)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    Feels like old-school CGS.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Deemer and Moyer for Daredevil talk? Screw it. This episode is too good waste listening to at work. I'll enjoy it at home!

I loved Herb Trimpe! He drew my favorite Hulk along with Sal Buscema. Nice to see the love on the internet but he never gets recognize like other artists. Sucks that I never got a sketch or to meet him.

• Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Addressing @wildpigcomics' discussion about the East Coast Comic Con:

I was at MoCCA Fest that Saturday, and there were enough people attempting to get in to its new location, Center 548 on West 22nd and 12th Ave in Manhattan, that there were lines all the way down the block. Mind you, my girlfriend and I didn't get there until about 2:30/2:45 and that was the case. Luckily we pre-purchased our tickets online and were able to cut the line, but this was the most people I'd seen waiting to get into MoCCA Fest in years.

The new location really did breathe new life into the show, as the old location was The 69th Regiment Armory. It is an OLD building, and both smells and feels like it. Little to no ventilation, and the space is hard to layout for a comic show. In comparison, Center 548 has multiple floors for MoCCA to use, and they did. Floors two, three, and four all had artists, publishers, and writers spread out all throughout the floor. And there was even a roof deck available if you wanted to grab some concessions and find a place to chat.

Flow of traffic was strong, and aisles were tight at spots, but there was tons to see, do, and purchase. MoCCA even set up a small art exhibit at the far-end of the second floor with art by R. Crumb and his wife, Aline Kominsky-Crumb. And there were a few pieces on display from Little Nemo: Dream Another Dream, including three by Bill Sienkiewicz.

This sounds like the complete opposite of what happened with East Coast Comic Con switching venues. I've been to the Meadowlands Exposition Center many a time, as that's where AnimeNEXT was held for years before it moved to the harder to get to, but larger, Garden State Convention Center in Somerset. I know how frustrating a place the Meadowlands Expo Center can be, especially since its noise protection is non-existent, and the place looks cavernous but is actually way smaller when you realize it's wider than it is long.

What the Meadowlands does have going for it is that it's way easier to get to from NYC than other locations; you can take a NJ Transit bus for cheap, or even the train if you wanted to. On a weekend where it wasn't competing with a show like MoCCA Fest, which has support from both regular and independent fans and creators, maybe it would have. But it looks like that didn't happen.

I know how difficult it is to get space at halls, so I'm sure there were no other weekends this thing could have happened. And Cliff, the showrunner, is a friend of mine. But I do hope that if this thing happens next year, it is on a weekend where there isn't another show in the same general area that same weekend. Especially one that's on a rebound like MoCCA Fest.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Despite wall-to-wall great topics in the write-up, is it wrong that the thing I'm most looking forward to is the prospect of Chris giving another impassioned rant against some aspect of the industry? :-D
  • Options
    Can I suggest something off topic? I was wondering if you guys might be doing something retro-DC related soon. Not Vertigo but DC.

I'm sure (as I've been listening to your shows) that the vast majority of you feel about the current DC as I do. And as much as Arrow, Flash, etc. gives me a smile every time I watch them, it's not enough. I MISS my DC. And without a steady and abiding passion for a Universe that I claimed once to know like the back of my hand...I feel sort of empty in my comics hobby. Sure, I'm discovering great new Indy titles and reading more Marvel. But without DC...IDK. It feels hollow. Incomplete. And as ANGRY as DC has been making me and the further they move away from me...I STILL miss it greatly.

I know you did a Top 5 DC titles episode awhile back and such, so I have no idea EXACTLY what you should do. But I'd LOVE to hear an episode devoted to something PASSIONATELY DC.

Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567

Can I suggest something off topic? I was wondering if you guys might be doing something retro-DC related soon. Not Vertigo but DC.

Nothing planned right now, but I did have something that I didn't get to work into this episode. I recently moved several of my comic boxes for the first time in years and came across vast amounts of my Silver Age books. I found my copy of Showcase #20, the first appearance of Rip Hunter, and would've done an 'off the rack' type review of it but I didn't know how to squeeze it in to the recording.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    About half way into this episode I had just one thought going through my head...

Boy do I love CGS!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    @wildpigcomics I did read Shadow: Year One ( @Adam_Murdough aside from Moon Knight, I'm only reading Indy books), and I enjoyed it. It could've been about 2 issues shorter, but still an excellent read.

I was worried Wagner was going to give Allard an origin story, which I'm against. I like the mystery behind his true origins. I really liked how it picks up with Allard returning to NYC and setting up "shop" as the story.

DD is amazing. I got a couple nitpick with the series (some of the expletives seemed forced into the script), but overall a home run. The hallway scene was simply epic. I liked that Matt used rope as hand wraps for the fight. Also, knowing how severely injured he was earlier in the episode, but kept going.

I see Ayelet Zurer has gone from DC as Lara Lor-Van to Marvel as the Kingpin's squeeze.

From what I've read, AKA Jessica Jones is released late-2015. I bet Luke Cage & Iron Fist will both come in 2016. The order makes sense; the Night Nurse & Jessica Jones have connections with Luke Cage (he's appearing in AKA JJ). Cage can lead into Iron Fist with that connection.

I predict DD season 2 airs before Defenders does.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Pants said:

I recently moved several of my comic boxes for the first time in years and came across vast amounts of my Silver Age books. I found my copy of Showcase #20, the first appearance of Rip Hunter...

... and the dog.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Pants said:

I found my copy of Showcase #20, the first appearance of Rip Hunter, and would've done an 'off the rack' type review of it but I didn't know how to squeeze it in to the recording.

Keep that review handy, sir. I look forward to it at the appropriate time.

• Options
    Glad you guys will discuss DD show again when everyone catches up.

I enjoy the Flash but TV shows do not need to look and sound like a tv show. Daredevil was beautifully shot.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Loved the episode. Don't forget Netflix also had a nice collection of animated superhero shows. I think I saw Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends on there
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

I enjoy the Flash but TV shows do not need to look and sound like a tv show. Daredevil was beautifully shot.

I'd quibble with that. I thought a lot of the photography was excellent, but entirely too dark most of the time. Not dark as in mood (which it had plenty of), but dark to the point where I found it difficult to make out what was going on. A little better placement of lighting would have gone a long way towards visual clarity. I don't care how dark the alleyways might be in real life -- this is an enactment, not a documentary; let us see what's going on in those dingy hallways!
  • Options
    Pants said:

Nothing planned right now, but I did have something that I didn't get to work into this episode. I recently moved several of my comic boxes for the first time in years and came across vast amounts of my Silver Age books. I found my copy of Showcase #20, the first appearance of Rip Hunter, and would've done an 'off the rack' type review of it but I didn't know how to squeeze it in to the recording.
    Oooo now THERE'S an idea. Retro Off the Racks! Each of you pick an OLD issue within a specified timeline and everyone reads it and gives their thoughts! I know, your show not mine. Do what you guys have planned and I'm sure it'll be awesome as always!

• Options
    Great discussion guys! For guys like @ShaneKelly and @pants that aren't heavily experienced with Netflix streaming, check out this thread on CGS many of the geeks here have contributed to. There are LOTS of great offerings on there:

http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/112/the-netflix-thread-whatcha-watching/p1

Once you finish Daredevil, you may check out IP Man 1 & IP Man 2. Its not a comic book movie, but you will very likely enjoy it.

Must've been because Daredevil is rated TV-MA, but somebody was a bit of a potty mouth this episode... LOL

:)
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I'd quibble with that. I thought a lot of the photography was excellent, but entirely too dark most of the time. Not dark as in mood (which it had plenty of), but dark to the point where I found it difficult to make out what was going on. A little better placement of lighting would have gone a long way towards visual clarity. I don't care how dark the alleyways might be in real life -- this is an enactment, not a documentary; let us see what's going on in those dingy hallways!
    It's not a documentary, but I think they wanted that realism feel to it. At times, it reminded me of The Shield. It had that same tone & grit to it.

I recall @Adam_Murdough once stating he prefers VCR videos to DVDs because of the imperfections. I prefer the clarity of Blu-Ray to feel like I'm there. So, if the alley in the scene is dark, I'd prefer that's how it's captured on film.

M
  • Options
    I have not watched Daredevil. I don't have Netflix. I do have Amazon Prime. Are there commercial breaks on Netflix? With the Daredevil show? If not, then that could be why it doesn't remind Deemer of a television show.
  • Options

I have not watched Daredevil. I don't have Netflix. I do have Amazon Prime. Are there commercial breaks on Netflix? With the Daredevil show? If not, then that could be why it doesn't remind Deemer of a television show.

No commercials, just straight through awesomeness.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

It's not a documentary, but I think they wanted that realism feel to it. At times, it reminded me of The Shield. It had that same tone & grit to it.

I recall @Adam_Murdough once stating he prefers VCR videos to DVDs because of the imperfections. I prefer the clarity of Blu-Ray to feel like I'm there. So, if the alley in the scene is dark, I'd prefer that's how it's captured on film.

M

It's not the tone I'm criticizing -- it's the clarity of the image. I kept losing details and figures in the shadows. Once or twice gets the idea across just fine; after that, it gets annoying. (And this is, admittedly, really a minor quibble at best.)
    Matt said:

No commercials, just straight through awesomeness.

M

And pretty much a full hour, too -- on broadcast TV, it'd probably be an hour-and-a-half show with the commercials slipped in.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    There are never commercials on Netflix, whether we're talking about new or old shows.
  • Options
    brydeemer said:

There are never commercials on Netflix, whether we're talking about new or old shows.

Thanks! I may have to do the one month free trial.

But then to my point... If Flash didn't have commercials, and wasn't written into the structure of having commercials, then might it be more to your liking?

I'll admit that The Flash has a bit of the CW vibe to it, while Arrow has it a lot. I haven't missed one second of The Flash, but only rarely watch Arrow and it's usually only when I've chosen to DVR a specific episode and I actually fast forward through almost half of it.
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150

But then to my point... If Flash didn't have commercials, and wasn't written into the structure of having commercials, then might it be more to your liking?

This is exactly what I was thinking when @brydeemer made the comment about how the network tv shows feel like network shows. If Flash was indeed a 55 minute show that had no commercial breaks, I think it would really suck you in more. No commercials really work to bring the cinematic experience. Daredevil can almost be viewed as a 13 part movie series!
  • Options
    I loved this episode and I am loving Daredevil. I hope one day most if not all programing can move to formats where they don't have to worry about making advertisers mad with their content or if parent groups get angry over the amount of violence or language in a show. The best programing being made now is on the premium channels that don't have content constraints. Daredevil, House of Cards, Game of Thrones or Shameless could never be shown on network television because of their content.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited April 2015
    I'm only four episodes into Daredevil so I can't listen to that part of the show yet, but I did want to say thanks to @wildpigcomics for the kind words (you're makin' me blush over here!), and I'm sorry your East Coast Comicon experience was less than stellar, to say the least.

From my own perspective, it was a decent show. I worried that the walkability of the aisles was bad news for the retailers and guests there, but I appreciated actually being able to move about more easily than the last few shows I've been, too... it's nice to not have the claustrophobia kick in at one of these things! I got to meet Arthur Adams and Fred Hembeck, talk with Kate Leth about how I'm not the target audience for Lumberjanes and how that's perfectly okay (as well as what it's like to grow up in a cold place that's wonderful in summers but inhospitable and Hoth-like the rest of the time... I'm from Maine, she's from Nova Scotia), and I got some amazing Justice League Unlimited storyboard/sketch art from Dave Bullock (and his fiancee, who is just weapons-grade charming and a hell of a lot of fun to talk to) of Spy Smasher from the "Patriot Act" episode:

So it was a good show for shopping (especially for cheap TPBs from one particular New Jersey retailer), I got to meet some people I've wanted to meet for a long time (though sadly I did not take the time to meet Herb Trimpe), talked to some cool indie artists, and had an easy time driving to and from (always amazing for NJ) and parking (ditto), but I don't know if I'd necessarily go back unless the guest list was similarly stellar next year. And from the sound of it, I don't know how they'll convince that many people to come back.

• Options
    I wished that shows that are on networks with commercials could somehow shoot or edit them that when they do go to Netflix there are no obvious commercial breaks.
  • Options
    DAR said:

Loved the episode. Don't forget Netflix also had a nice collection of animated superhero shows. I think I saw Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends on there

Thank YOU. I completely forgot about that.

M
  • Options

Ok so here's the problem with comparing Flash and Daredevil. Two entirely different approaches to a show. One is written for commercial breaks, one is not. One is made for a network TV environment one is not. Flash as a character is a brighter setting, story, and whether Barry or Wally has a more optimistic view of the world. Daredevil is darker, street level, and deals with the under belly of the world. While DD tries to save his city he has no illusions of how bad the world is.

Also, and this is just me. Daredevil is not for my boys yet. Nope , no way. Where as Flash, they are loving it and I can watch it with them.

Now don't get me wrong, I am loving both shows. However, it is unfair to say Flash is too TV and almost silly while praising Daredevil as the greatest thing because of how dark, violent, and real it is.

I am in complete agreement with that.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I love both the Flash and Daredevil shows. I'm glad that after I watch Kingpin bust someone's brains out with a car door I can push a button and see Flash battle The Weather Wizard.
  • Options

popestu said:

I'm on episode 4. This show kicks Arrow and Flash's ass, hands down.

As much as I enjoyed the entire DD series, I still prefer Flash as the best of the comic book shows currently running right now. More my speed, you might say...

I'm enjoying both and hope to see them continue. Flash is colorful but a bit silly at times, which is a good fit, but it often seems squarely aimed at teens to twenty-something's. The bar scenes, the soap opera mini-arcs, especially the guys at Star Labs making a synthetic alcohol so Barry can get a buzz... Stuff like that. While Daredevil is more procedural and gritty/realistic, which seems appropriate to the Frank Miller interpretation of the character. Very violent, a dark/night palette, salty language, and no obvious powers (magic hammer, iron suits of armor, etc)

I'm not watching Arrow or Gotham, so I cannot speak to those. Won't return to Gotham. Have yet to watch Arrow. I actually like Flash so much that I'm miffed that he actor isn't being considered in WB's plans for the feature film.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I love both the Flash and Daredevil shows. I'm glad that after I watch Kingpin bust someone's brains out with a car door I can push a button and see Flash battle The Weather Wizard.

I agree with @Mr_Cosmic and @ShaneKelly too