Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1551 Talkback - Comic Talk

2»

Comments

• Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Pants said:

Can I suggest something off topic? I was wondering if you guys might be doing something retro-DC related soon. Not Vertigo but DC.

Nothing planned right now, but I did have something that I didn't get to work into this episode. I recently moved several of my comic boxes for the first time in years and came across vast amounts of my Silver Age books. I found my copy of Showcase #20, the first appearance of Rip Hunter, and would've done an 'off the rack' type review of it but I didn't know how to squeeze it in to the recording.
    Hey Pants, been listening to the show for 5 or 6 years now, love you guys. Did you all ever do any other Spotlights on DC characters aside from Batman (and the recent Captain Marvel)? Just curious if I missed anything and need to go back and listen.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Matt said:

DAR said:

Loved the episode. Don't forget Netflix also had a nice collection of animated superhero shows. I think I saw Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends on there

Thank YOU. I completely forgot about that.

M
    Yeah but they've also lost a bunch of stuff recently. They used to have Justice League, JLU, Batman Beyond, and Young Justice but they've lost all of those. I guess their contract with DC must have expired because I don't think they have any series still (just a few of the movies).

EDIT: here's the story: http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/dc-animated-shows-cartoon-network-series-being-yanked-netflix
  • Options
    Wow, glad I finished GL and the first season of YJ (the second wasn't available for some reason) when I did. It was only a few weeks ahead of their removal. Maybe they'll pop up on Amazon Prime. Batman: TAS and Superman:TAS are both on there
  • Options
    Yeah but if Warner is looking to launch it's own streaming property (they already have Warner Archive but it's all older material) then I would expect Batman and Superman to be pulled from Amazon as well.
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    mphil said:

Hey Pants, been listening to the show for 5 or 6 years now, love you guys. Did you all ever do any other Spotlights on DC characters aside from Batman (and the recent Captain Marvel)? Just curious if I missed anything and need to go back and listen.

Time once again to plus the CGS archives.

All of our past shows are there to listen to including spotlights on DC characters Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman & Hawkgirl, Superman, and Wonder Woman.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I've only seen the first episode of Daredevil and definitely plan on watching the others because I really enjoyed the first episode. I have to agree with Bry regarding the current batch of comic network shows, except for one. GOTHAM can be a very dark show and it has become my favorite new show of this current network TV season. I think it's very well cast and written, and far more exciting than the freak of the week Flash, a show that quite frankly bores me (just my opinion). GOTHAM is must see TV for me every week and I truly believe that Robin Lord Taylor's portrayal of Oswald 'Penguin' Cobblepot is one of the best performances on TV right now. Quite frankly, I would put the tone of GOTHAM closer to Daredevil than I would to Flash.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    Dman said:

for me every week and I truly believe that Robin Lord Taylor's portrayal of Oswald 'Penguin' Cobblepot is one of the best performances on TV right now. Quite frankly, I would put the tone of GOTHAM closer to Daredevil than I would to Flash.

True. The Penguin is amazing on that show. And there are absolutely moments on that show where it is more aligned with Daredevil than Flash.

• Options

Ok so here's the problem with comparing Flash and Daredevil. Two entirely different approaches to a show. One is written for commercial breaks, one is not. One is made for a network TV environment one is not. Flash as a character is a brighter setting, story, and whether Barry or Wally has a more optimistic view of the world. Daredevil is darker, street level, and deals with the under belly of the world. While DD tries to save his city he has no illusions of how bad the world is.

Also, and this is just me. Daredevil is not for my boys yet. Nope , no way. Where as Flash, they are loving it and I can watch it with them.

Now don't get me wrong, I am loving both shows. However, it is unfair to say Flash is too TV and almost silly while praising Daredevil as the greatest thing because of how dark, violent, and real it is.

What @ShaneKelly said.

I watched the first episode of Daredevil, and though it was well done and I love the character, it didn't suck me in. Maybe it's the heaping of praise that's fallen all over it that's turning me off (I am curious if this is good TV or just good Daredevil? I lean toward the latter), but I don't expect to watch the rest of it. If I do, it'll be a long time coming.

On the other hand, I've decided to try and catch up with the Flash and recently watched "Out of Time" and "Rogue Time." They were awesome! I'm back on board this Flash train, and I'm looking forward to how they wrap up this first season. Definitely prefer this to any other comic TV/film property in the last decade (though, to be fair, I haven't seen most of them, because they haven't grabbed me).

Again, thanks for a great episode.

chris
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615

Ok so here's the problem with comparing Flash and Daredevil. Two entirely different approaches to a show. One is written for commercial breaks, one is not. One is made for a network TV environment one is not. Flash as a character is a brighter setting, story, and whether Barry or Wally has a more optimistic view of the world. Daredevil is darker, street level, and deals with the under belly of the world. While DD tries to save his city he has no illusions of how bad the world is.

Also, and this is just me. Daredevil is not for my boys yet. Nope , no way. Where as Flash, they are loving it and I can watch it with them.

Now don't get me wrong, I am loving both shows. However, it is unfair to say Flash is too TV and almost silly while praising Daredevil as the greatest thing because of how dark, violent, and real it is.

What @ShaneKelly said.

I watched the first episode of Daredevil, and though it was well done and I love the character, it didn't suck me in. Maybe it's the heaping of praise that's fallen all over it that's turning me off (I am curious if this is good TV or just good Daredevil? I lean toward the latter), but I don't expect to watch the rest of it. If I do, it'll be a long time coming.

chris
    I'm 7 episodes in and really think its just good Daredevil. We are enjoying the show, but it is not a special show.
    I need to rephrase the first sentence: It is really good Daredevil, not really good tv.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I enjoy both shows. And believe it or not, I've only seen the first 7 of Flash (DVR) and the first 7 of Daredevil. I am savoring the material.

As @Adam_Murdough said, "It's good to pace yourself."
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Interesting episode! So, you guys recorded that on April 14th? Wow, I'm way behind. On conventions and dealers: I finally found Randy's Reader Comics while I was at ECCC in March. Great deals! Never been to an east coast con, so are there too many? I guess the market will decide that. Yay! Murd was not Muddled! Good job! Netflix Daredevil: I guess I've seen maybe 4 episodes and while it is very good, I do find it to be excessively brutal. Maybe I'm just sensitive about that kind of stuff. I enjoyed Kevin being there to chime in on what he thought about it, and even liked that Bryan called to give his reaction, except for the background noise. It was a little hard to hear the other guys because of it. Please don't do that again! I thought Bryan's comparison of Daredevil to the other comic-related TV shows was just another example of his sometimes either/or, black/white type of thinking without consideration for the gray areas. I think Shane explained very well (above) how you really can't compare them because the playing fields (network TV vs. Netflix) are not equal. And probably the target audiences aren't the same either. So while Arrow, Flash, And Agents of SHIELD may not appeal to people who want a deep story, and a grim and gritty real universe, they do appeal to the wider network TV audience who basically just want to be entertained on an weekly basis. Hmm, I wonder...nobody asked, maybe because Clara was in the car with him, does Bryan let her watch Netflix Daredevil? I would assume not..