Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Name a series/character you like that's not popular

Comments

• Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    popestu said:

How do I post pictures? I've done it in the past, but now I cannot.

popestu said:

How do I post pictures? I've done it in the past, but now I cannot.

Make sure you're linking to the image and not just the page the image is on. Click on the image first, that copy and past that URL.
    Thanks. I thought I was. Apparently not...
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    David_D said:

Personally, I think people just as often socialize around what they don't like. Or by being contrary to, or railing against, what they see as the most popular things.

I am always more interested in finding out why an individual digs something, rather than telling a group why they do.

Somewhat. I find it interesting to find out what makes each person tick. Especially when it's something we have a dissenting opinion; regardless of who likes or dislikes something. For one, it can great a better conversation. It also helps me understand the other person's thought process. Ideally, it could introduce something I hadn't thought of or considered. Doesn't mean I'd change my opinion, but something else for me to assess.

M
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Matt said:

i also like The Shadow

i truly believe people "like" Batman and Joker these days because they're peers do and so on until it's a chain reaction

i didn't fall into that trap though

What do you base THAT theory on? I understand you don't like the characters, which is fine, but since when is there peer pressure to like them? I know plenty of people who don't like the characters.

If you really think the bulk of their fans only like the characters because of "peer pressure," then you're greatly underrating them. It's not "peer pressure" that has made them global icons. In fact, the Batman title is what comic book sales are based on.

And believing their fanbase is mostly composed of sheep, you're insulting the fanbase.

M
    It's not just about believing that their fanbase are peer-pressure driven sheep, it also appears to be a Zarathustra-esque attempt to come down from the mountain to lead the sheep to follow an alternate trend.
  • Options

i also like The Shadow

i truly believe people "like" Batman and Joker these days because they're peers do and so on until it's a chain reaction

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    Matt said:

David_D said:

Personally, I think people just as often socialize around what they don't like. Or by being contrary to, or railing against, what they see as the most popular things.

I am always more interested in finding out why an individual digs something, rather than telling a group why they do.

Somewhat. I find it interesting to find out what makes each person tick. Especially when it's something we have a dissenting opinion; regardless of who likes or dislikes something. For one, it can great a better conversation. It also helps me understand the other person's thought process. Ideally, it could introduce something I hadn't thought of or considered. Doesn't mean I'd change my opinion, but something else for me to assess.

M
    And of course dissent from popular opinion, if someone is taking the time to get specific, can be interesting and an important part of the conversation, too. But it takes them getting into the whys. And not just the "meh".
  • Options

Matt said:

i also like The Shadow

What do you base THAT theory on? I understand you don't like the characters, which is fine, but since when is there peer pressure to like them? I know plenty of people who don't like the characters.

If you really think the bulk of their fans only like the characters because of "peer pressure," then you're greatly underrating them. It's not "peer pressure" that has made them global icons. In fact, the Batman title is what comic book sales are based on.

And believing their fanbase is mostly composed of sheep, you're insulting the fanbase.

M
    Insulting the fanbase?

This is the internet. You could find a lot worse than what I've said.

I'll be honest, yes, I'm NOT a Batman fan and reject the idea that I HAVE to be.

From what I've seen, young minds tend to be into the same things JUST so they have something to socialize about.

I see this when it comes to Pop Culture all of the time with games, music, etc...

It's my observation.

I get from this post that maybe you're one of the young minds and are charting your own course through pop culture. That's fantastic - like what you like and read what you enjoy but keep in mind that the "pop" is short for popular. If it doesn't do what it was intended to do, it won't continue to be produced.

Popularity can be quantified on a bunch of different levels - we could measure it based on beanie caps and backpacks in grade schools, shelf space in the toy aisles or shelf space at the comic shop. All of that is a trap with statistics - much like stereotyping - none of it can be specifically and automatically applied to any one fan of whatever topic. Personal appreciation of any character is based on personal values - for some it may be a matter of visibility, but for many there are other more personal reasons.

G.I. Joe was launched as a marketing campaign for the toy line and developed a life of it's own. That's a cool story, but, at its heart, it's a pretty cynical justification for a book (as it is with my own beloved ROM and Micronauts books).

TMNT would, quite likely not be around today had it not been licensed, in a decidedly a watered down version, as a children's consumable.

Personally, I'm not a real follower of most of the big players, but that's more because my own journey is tied more to books that I tie to memories with my Dad and my uncles, vacations with my parents and grandparents.

All that said, your need to blow in and debase the quality of fandom that prefers the books/characters that you subjectively consider to be lesser makes it seem like you chose a particularly apt screen name.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

I'd say it more what he's using for a comparison. Both Batman & the Avengers books are selling very, very well, GI Joe isn't as much. He might as well stated "I bet there are more people on this forum who get to work via a land mode of transportation then an aerial mode of transportation."

*slow clap*
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,745
    Hey, now, I didn't mean to start a pile-on. I was just having a little fun with something that amused me.

Can I go back and change my first post to simply, “Angel and the Ape”?
  • Options
    TheHotWindBlowingTheHotWindBlowing Posts: 58
    edited April 2015

Matt said:

Matt said:

i also like The Shadow

M
    LMAO...Dear Lord.

Insulting the fanbase? How?

I'll be honest, I'm NOT a Batman fan and reject the idea that I HAVE to be.

Young minds tend to be into the same things JUST so they have something to socialize about.

It's my observation.

I see this when it comes to Pop Culture all of the time with games, music, etc...

I don't know how to make you see this if you don't already see it.

You didn't have to post you aren't a Batman fan for me to come to that conclusion. Hell, I don't even need to be a detective to conclude that. Though, you bought the Batman Lego 3 game.

Being looked at as a sheep instead of being of a single mind is insulting. My enjoyment of the character first stemmed in 1988; Batman #427 to be exact. Zero to do with anyone else.

I find Kent to be a bland, uninteresting character, but I don't equate his large fanbase to "peer pressure." I equate it to personal preference of enjoyment.

You're right, I can find worse on the Internet, but this is my chunk of its vastness.

Those young people will come to learn social clicks mean dick when they become people.

If you're premise is that not everything popular is universally loved; I know that.

If your premise is that there are fair weather fans in pop culture as well as sports; I know that.

If your premise is that if you (or I) don't agree with a fad, then it's composed of peer pressured sheep; I know that to be false. In which case, you'll never convince of it.

The title of this thread should've been "name your favorite character that I don't find overratedly popular" because that's what it looks like by your "criterion" presented in posts.

M

Nobody is immune to being analyzed and criticized, not even Comic fans, and yes, that mean's Batman ones too.

I literally bought Lego Batman for Superman and other flying characters.

Same thing with Lego Marvel.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    @TheHotWindBlowing Of course no one is immune to, or above criticism.

But, if you find yourself generalizing or criticizing about large groups of people (i.e. 'All Batman fans are like this or that') then it is about as accurate, or convincing, as any broad generalization.

I would be more interested in why you like what YOU like then what you think about the people who like something you don't. For a conversation about characters you like that aren't popular, like the one you started, to actually be focused on THOSE characters, and why YOU like them. Rather than just using it as another angle on saying 'screw Batman and The Avengers and here is what I know about the people that like those...'.

Because in the former you can actually speak about from an informed point of view. Your own. The latter you are just guessing. And why be so concerned about what is popular with other people? In a market where we have all these different Avengers and Batman books, we still get three monthly G.I. Joe titles set across two different eras of G.I. Joe. And at least one monthly TMNT book.

Other people can enjoy Batman and it doesn't have to take away the things you like, too. You know what I mean?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

i sense there are fewer GI Joe fans here than there are of Batman and Avengers.

Could that be related to the general lack of ten-year-olds here?

I find that Batman fans tend to skew a bit older.

Say thirteen.

B-)
    The comics never gave the impression they were for that age, especially the IDW variant.
    They are dark and gritty.
  • Options
    TheHotWindBlowingTheHotWindBlowing Posts: 58
    edited April 2015
    David_D said:

But, if you find yourself generalizing or criticizing about large groups of people (i.e. 'All Batman fans are like this or that') then it is about as accurate, or convincing, as any broad generalization.

I would be more interested in why you like what YOU like then what you think about the people who like something you don't. For a conversation about characters you like that aren't popular, like the one you started, to actually be focused on THOSE characters, and why YOU like them. Rather than just using it as another angle on saying 'screw Batman and The Avengers and here is what I know about the people that like those...'.

Because in the former you can actually speak about from an informed point of view. Your own. The latter you are just guessing. And why be so concerned about what is popular with other people? In a market where we have all these different Avengers and Batman books, we still get three monthly G.I. Joe titles set across two different eras of G.I. Joe. And at least one monthly TMNT book.

Other people can enjoy Batman and it doesn't have to take away the things you like, too. You know what I mean?

Well everything I like boils down to it being cool enough for me to like it.

Something about it NOT being Batman, Justice League, and Avengers makes it even more enjoyable for me.

I can see beyond those franchises.

I'd hate to live in a world where only a few exist.

• Options
    edited April 2015

But, if you find yourself generalizing or criticizing about large groups of people (i.e. 'All Batman fans are like this or that') then it is about as accurate, or useful, as any generalization.

I would be more interested in why you like what YOU like then what you think about the people who like something you don't. Because the former you can actually speak about from an informed point of view.

Something about it NOT being Batman and Avengers makes it even more enjoyable for me.

I can see beyond those 2 franchises.

And, you realize, in "seeing beyond those two franchises", you are in the majority. For all the Bat and Avengers books, and their successes, the majority of comics sold (and, mostly, read) every month are not those.

If something feels cooler to you for not being those franchises, so be it. But when you look at the numbers, there is actually nothing remarkable about not reading Batman or Avengers. In fact. It might be more rare to ONLY read those.
  • Options
    David_D said:

But, if you find yourself generalizing or criticizing about large groups of people (i.e. 'All Batman fans are like this or that') then it is about as accurate, or useful, as any generalization.

I would be more interested in why you like what YOU like then what you think about the people who like something you don't. Because the former you can actually speak about from an informed point of view.

Something about it NOT being Batman and Avengers makes it even more enjoyable for me.

And, you realize, in "seeing beyond those two franchises", you are in the majority. For all the Bat and Avengers books, and their successes, the majority of comics sold (and, mostly, read) every month are not those.

If something feels cooler to you for not being those franchises, so be it. But when you look at the numbers, there is actually nothing remarkable about not reading Batman or Avengers. In fact. It might be more rare to ONLY read those.

I see nothing wrong with at least talking about this.

With that said, I find Catman of Secret Six more interesting than Batman.

• Options

Matt said:

Matt said:

i also like The Shadow

M
    LMAO...Dear Lord.

Insulting the fanbase? How?

I'll be honest, I'm NOT a Batman fan and reject the idea that I HAVE to be.

Young minds tend to be into the same things JUST so they have something to socialize about.

It's my observation.

I don't know how to make you see this if you don't already see it.

You didn't have to post you aren't a Batman fan for me to come to that conclusion. Hell, I don't even need to be a detective to conclude that. Though, you bought the Batman Lego 3 game.

Being looked at as a sheep instead of being of a single mind is insulting. My enjoyment of the character first stemmed in 1988; Batman #427 to be exact. Zero to do with anyone else.

I find Kent to be a bland, uninteresting character, but I don't equate his large fanbase to "peer pressure." I equate it to personal preference of enjoyment.

You're right, I can find worse on the Internet, but this is my chunk of its vastness.

Those young people will come to learn social clicks mean dick when they become people.

If you're premise is that not everything popular is universally loved; I know that.

If your premise is that there are fair weather fans in pop culture as well as sports; I know that.

If your premise is that if you (or I) don't agree with a fad, then it's composed of peer pressured sheep; I know that to be false. In which case, you'll never convince of it.

The title of this thread should've been "name your favorite character that I don't find overratedly popular" because that's what it looks like by your "criterion" presented in posts.

M

Nobody is immune to being analyzed and criticized, not even Comic fans, and yes, that mean's Batman ones too.

I literally bought Lego Batman for Superman and other flying characters.

Same thing with Lego Marvel.

I'll read through my posts, but off of strictly memory, I never stated comic book (or specifically Batman fans) are immune to analysis or criticism. I'm a huge Batman fan & I criticize the character, haven't read the title in nearly 9 years, and don't always agree with the other opinion of batman fans.

So where is my implication of an immunity?!

M
  • Options
    edited April 2015

David_D said:

Something about it NOT being Batman, Justice League, and Avengers makes it even more enjoyable for me.

Who stated what you read has to be 'cool' to other people? My favorite character is the Shadow & I don't care if that's a sentiment shared with only 1% of the reading population.

"See beyond those franchises"? Is this 'To Serve Man'? How is NOT being something even a factor into a reasoning of why you like something? One of my reasonings for liking the Shadow isn't because he's not Doc Savage. It comes across as "I like stuff the stuff I do because it's not 'the establishment' that everyone else likes."

And GI Joe has a team of diverse individuals with special abilities (like Avengers & JLA), wrapped in patriotism (like Captain America & Superman), and a badass, extremely skilled and capable ninja that's extremely well liked by an abundance of fans (like Batman.)

Now I'm reversing what I previously thought; you aren't insulting characters you don't like, but insulting characters you do. If you really enjoy the stuff you do like, you wouldn't have to compare it to the stuff you don't like.

Again, I'm a Batman fan and I would hate to only have that one character out there.

M
  • Options
    edited April 2015

David_D said:

I see nothing wrong with at least talking about this.

Talking about what? How you don't like specific popular characters? Who expects everyone here to like the exact same stuff? This isn't a Batman, Avengers, or JLA niche website where it's assumed nearly all the participants are fans of the characters. This also helps my theory that this whole thread was agenda driven to discuss a topic no one was arguing or mandating about.

Not sure how which character you find more interesting means anything to the initial premise of your thread title. I tell DC fanboys all the time to stop justifying the DCCU by what the MCU is doing. It cheapens what the DCCU does.

Plus, just throwing a statement out there without why isn't trying to start a discussion on the characters, just an attempt to show you're in a majority of people who doesn't like Batman.

M
  • Options
    David_D said:

Or people will socialize around something they like, and then a few years later they'll socialize around complaining about it because it isn't as good as it used to be.

I'm not naming names or anything. ;)

And I'm using the emoticon this time. See? I'm kidding!
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Seems appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0iqg2UanEc

Again, sorry, I couldn't resist.

So... back to Angel and the Ape. Here's why I love them:

1) Super-cute lady detective
    2) Her partner is a gorilla who is also a comic book artist
    3) Bob Oksner
    4) Who needs another reason? Seriously, how is this not a mega-million-dollar franchise?

Do I need another emoticon here?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    80s will Payton starman series. At least at the time. Havnt revisited it but I enjoyed it then and nobody else seemed to.
  • Options

Maybe, but Cat-Man is definitely more interesting than Catman, and less popular too!

• Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

Matt said:

i also like The Shadow

M

I'll be honest, yes, I'm NOT a Batman fan and reject the idea that I HAVE to be.

Who's pressuring you to be Batman fan so hard that you have to "reject the idea" that you "HAVE to be"? Where do you see that happen?

That's a bit of a straw man arguement. Like who you like, dislike who you dislike. I've never once in decades of a comic fan exerted peer pressure to sway my friends to like a comic book character or not. The flavor is in the variety and there's enough of it out there. I think your "chain reaction" theory could use some work IMO though your screen name seems on point.
  • Options

David_D said:

How very hipster of you.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    hauberk said:

David_D said:

How very hipster of you.
    Weird, that's what I was going to say.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I was also gonna take a line from Taylor Swift...

Haters gonna hate :D
  • Options
    batlaw said:

80s will Payton starman series. At least at the time. Havnt revisited it but I enjoyed it then and nobody else seemed to.

It was a decent series. I mean, Roger Stern doesn't turn out crap. It was a slightly below average seller for us when I was working at the comic shop, if memory serves. But let's face it, that purple and yellow costume was pretty lame.
  • Options

batlaw said:

It was a decent series. I mean, Roger Stern doesn't turn out crap. It was a slightly below average seller for us when I was working at the comic shop, if memory serves. But let's face it, that purple and yellow costume was pretty lame.
    http://www.writeups.org/img/fiche/5827.jpg

His outfit may have made him lamer than he really was.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

I was also gonna take a line from Taylor Swift...

Haters gonna hate :D

Haven't been going to your Pop Tripe Anonymous meetings, have you?
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited April 2015
    Just a quick summary of this thread, if you don't want to make a mistake and read the whole thing.

- I'm passive aggressively insinuating that everyone is a herd of sheep for liking something popular.
    - uh, I think we misunderstood what you were trying to say. Everyone has different tastes. And your suppositions make no sense because you seem to like very popular things yourself.
    - nope. You like things that are for children. I'm talking about maturity. Which is liking things that other people don't like.
    - oh. Hipster... In all seriousness though Angel and the Ape, amiright?
  • Options

In all seriousness though Angel and the Ape, amiright?

That’s what I'm talkin’ ’bout!