Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Name a series/character you like that's not popular

Comments

• Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
  • Options
    popestu said:

popestu said:

The Scourge of the Underworld
    ("Justice is served!")

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvimageel//universe3zx/images/6/60/Scourge.jpg
  • Options
    My apologies for the redundancy. I am posting-image impaired.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited April 2015
    popestu said:

("Justice is served!")

I've got a question about Scourge. What makes him a villian but Punisher a (anti) hero?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884

popestu said:

("Justice is served!")

I've got a question about Scourge. What makes him a villian but Punisher a (anti) hero?
    Punisher has much better agents.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,624

popestu said:

("Justice is served!")

He wears a skull mask and punisher just wears a skull tee. If Scourge half-assed it like Frank he would be a hero too.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I like Ditko's Mr. A....or rather I get a kick out of it. Sort of like a crash during NASCAR or a hockey fight.

While I can find a few things in Rand's beliefs that I agree with I think it's 90% hogwash. That being said I can't help but be amused by a character who strictly adheres to her doctrine out there fighting crime. Mr. A usually catches the criminal quickly and then proceeds to preach at them(and the reader) for the remainder of the issue.

The visual is pretty interesting. He's completely white from his hat to his shoes. No grays, blacks, or blemishes of any kind. It shows how Ditko views the beliefs Mr. A represents.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I like Ditko's Mr. A....or rather I get a kick out of it. Sort of like a crash during NASCAR or a hockey fight.

While I can find a few things in Rand's beliefs that I agree with I think it's 90% hogwash. That being said I can't help but be amused by a character who strictly adheres to her doctrine out there fighting crime. Mr. A usually catches the criminal quickly and then proceeds to preach at them(and the reader) for the remainder of the issue.

The visual is pretty interesting. He's completely white from his hat to his shoes. No grays, blacks, or blemishes of any kind. It shows how Ditko views the beliefs Mr. A represents.

Ditko's self published stuff isn't really COMICS as much as illustrated essays now, but the Mr. A stuff really helped me understand him and how he sees the world. He has dedicated himself to a philosophy and it makes clear and perfect sense to him.

Still, it's a damn shame that things fell apart in the 90's when they came VERY close to having him do a new Spider-Man or Doctor Strange story. I find the stuff he did at Marvel in the late 70's and 80's wonderful, especially now that I'm older. His stuff has always been quirky, but I really like his way of staging a story and his layouts.
  • Options

popestu said:

("Justice is served!")

Sales. Sales. Sales.
  • Options
    Kevin Matchstick, Mage: the Hero Discovered.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,624
    popestu said:

Mage would probably be a popular title still if you could find reprints easily. I want volumes 1 through whatever in a single trade dress from a publisher.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited April 2015
    I've said it before elsewhere, and I'll say it again here.... my favorite not-too-popular character...

Death's Head, yes?

His attitude and outlook on life and professionalism just drew me to him when I was younger, and still does today.

He has a dry wit. and his visual is striking to me.

To me, he's still so freakin' cool.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,745

I've said it before elsewhere, and I'll say it again here.... my favorite not-too-popular character...

Death's Head, yes?

His attitude and outlook on life and professionalism just drew me to him when I was younger, and still does today.

Yes, but only the original will do. Death's Head II is to Death's Head what the Broderick Godzilla is to Toho Godzilla.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Forgot about Sovereign Seven! Great series...
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I must be thinking of a different Sovereign Seven then. The one I read, I couldn't even finish the first issue.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

I must be thinking of a different Sovereign Seven then. The one I read, I couldn't even finish the first issue.
    I got to agree that I had the same experience. I remember being psyched for it, as at the time I think I had succeeded in reading Claremont's entire 17 years on the X-books, I had really dug his Aliens vs. Predator maxiseries. And when it was announced he was going to get to create his own, original, creator-owned super team at DC, I thought, great, here we go! And... it wasn't for me.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Torchsong said:

Every single person who ever was a part of the Micronauts. :) Even Devil. :)

You have opened a floodgate of memories. Micronauts was the first Marvel book I ever picked up, and Bug was my favourite character for almost 15 years. I was so excited when he found new life in Guardians of the Galaxy. Bendis' version is a pale imitation of the far superior DnA run. I was really hoping there would be some sort of Bug easter egg in the film.
  • Options
    I dug S7 because it was trying to do something different, and make no mistake, it failed, but by God it tried. It set up Power Girl as the Ted McGinley of the comic book world for a while there, sure, but I dug the characters and their powers. Finale, Network and Cruiser were all fun creations with interesting takes on established powers (a telepath who had no problem invading everyone's minds, for example).

Also, I think my enjoyment of it pretty much nails the topic of the thread, eh? :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Also, I think my enjoyment of it pretty much nails the topic of the thread, eh? :)

If anything is not as popular as Batman, Joker, or the Avengers, it is Sovereign 7. I remember when it was announced we had a lot of subscribers sign up for it, but by the fourth or fifth issue, we were down to just three or four on the pull list.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

If anything is not as popular as Batman, Joker, or the Avengers, it is Sovereign 7.

=))
  • Options

If anything is not as popular as Batman, Joker, or the Avengers, it is Sovereign 7.

This is my new favorite quote of the week. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

This is my new favorite quote of the week. :)
    Would make a great blurb for the back of a trade.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited April 2015
    My favorite Claremont runs will always be New Mutants and Excalibur but Sovereign Seven occupies a special place in my collection just for the pure absurdity of it. It's the only comic I've ever read that had already jumped the shark before the first issue was published and was in the process of capturing more sharks with it's bare hands for future jumping when we walk in on it on the first page.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

popestu said:

Mage would probably be a popular title still if you could find reprints easily. I want volumes 1 through whatever in a single trade dress from a publisher.
    I currently have v. 2 and 3 of Mage: The Hero Discovered: Starblaze Graphics, Trade Paperback

I got both of them for a 2 or 3 bucks somewhere along the road of life .
    Volume 1 has been more than a few bucks, so I wait for it to come my way.

• Options
    There is also this edition

but I recall it being colored digitally which takes away from the awesome 80s airbrush
  • Options

Death's Head, yes?

Kinda. I could never get into his visual design. He was really cool but I guess I'm shallow and into looks. I really liked him...as a friend
  • Options
    popestu said:

Death's Head, yes?

Kinda. I could never get into his visual design. He was really cool but I guess I'm shallow and into looks. I really liked him...as a friend
    Actually, it was his head that irked me. He always looked better from the back.
  • Options
    popestu said:

mwhitt80 said:

popestu said:

I currently have v. 2 and 3 of Mage: The Hero Discovered: Starblaze Graphics, Trade Paperback

These are the volumes I have. I have all three, as I bought them as they came out. I only have Defined in the single issues, but it didn't work quite as well for me as the original series.
  • Options

popestu said:

mwhitt80 said:

popestu said:

These are the volumes I have. I have all three, as I bought them as they came out. I only have Defined in the single issues, but it didn't work quite as well for me as the original series.
    I recently sold my Defined to the local comic shopnfor store credit. I bought them as they came out and loved them but after a recent reread, I agree that it didn't work quite as well. That makes me sad.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I was always kinda partial to...