Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC COMICS ADDS HALF-PAGE ADS TO STORY PAGES

2»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

I must confess, I'm not bothered at all by this.

As long as the ads don't feature extra arms growing out of people's stomachs, because that was gross.

Agreed (on the first part). This was part and parcel of many a book when I was growing up, so it won't bother me a bit...

...UNLESS those ads show up in the pages of a trade or collection.

Although looking at 30 year old ads and letters pages can be fun if included in an omnibus, at least I've always thought so.
  • Options
    I read somewhere that the creators were all informed of this campaign ahead of time and were told that the split pages would be a single page in collected editions. They were instructed to draw to that, so there will probably be more awkwardness in the floppy than the trades.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

I read somewhere that the creators were all informed of this campaign ahead of time and were told that the split pages would be a single page in collected editions. They were instructed to draw to that, so there will probably be more awkwardness in the floppy than the trades.

And, given that the single issue buyer pays more per page than the trade buyer, that more awkward experience ends up being the thing that the people who paid the most for the content got to pay to have.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    Hear, hear

Shouldn't floppies be cheaper because advertisers are offsetting the costs? Trades feel like pure profit.
  • Options
    These ads do detract from the story...and they annoy me.
    I realize I stated I was done buying DC until these go away, but my pull list has some DC on it. I don't feel its fair to protest DC at the expense on my local store. That being said, DC is not on my pull list any more.
  • Options
    The only comic I've read so far that has the ads was Midnighter #1. And it did make for an intrusive and ugly layout for those two pages. But I also expect I won't be seeing anything like that again by #2.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    I was able to ignore this ad just as easily as I do the other full page ones.
  • Options
    Has the official backlash been felt @ DC?

Rumor has it that ads are heading over to digital.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Had the displeasure of finally seeing these ads myself. Yeah it's aggravating and annoying as hell! It's 100% avoidable, completely inexcusable for this medium and (for me at least) absolutely unacceptable. Wouldn't even matter if it weren't the single most incredibly stupid ad campaign I think I've ever seen. Seriously, who thought of this? Who signed off on it? How has it continued beyond a single commercial? It is just moronic. And not in any sense a clever or cute way. Why not run a ticker ad for popcorn through center of the screen in the middle of avengers AoU? Why not have an audio ad for car insurance in the middle of your new album? Or a Taco Bell advert between chapters in your copy of Harry potter? This is bullshit.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    That stuff is what we get on broadcast TV. I'm half-watching a repeat of Maron on IFC, it comes back from commercial and I start to hear him talk, but then I also hear bowling pins get struck down and I think he's in a bowling alley. I look up and I see the tail end of some little ad in the corner of the screen.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

That stuff is what we get on broadcast TV. I'm half-watching a repeat of Maron on IFC, it comes back from commercial and I start to hear him talk, but then I also hear bowling pins get struck down and I think he's in a bowling alley. I look up and I see the tail end of some little ad in the corner of the screen.

I agree that those sorts of lower-third interruptions during broadcasts-- and the fact that broadcast audiences have come to accept them-- probably emboldened the people behind these half-page ads.

But here's the difference, to me, and of course comparisons between mediums are never exact--

When I buy content, I am not the broadcast audience. If you buy an episode of Maron off iTunes, you won't get those lower-third interruptions. Sure, periodicals have ad pages, we are used to that, just like a DVD (or maybe a digital download) we buy might have ads before or after the content.

But when I am buying a comic, the content I am paying for are those story pages. And so I think it is fair to not be down for those being interrupted. Just like, if you bought that episode of Maron, I think you'd be right to be particularly bothered by ads during the content.

EDIT- And, again, for my part this is just an annoyance, but not to the point that I wouldn't read their comics. A sort of, 'well that was lame, and I'm glad people gave them shit about it so they don't do it again and make it the new normal' sort of thing, rather than feeling like it is a huge deal.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    It's too bad that that ads aren't old school house ads. I would enjoy seeing that again.
  • Options
    I would enjoy full pages of art
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    Boy Image has some great books out . . .
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'm just happy that there are still customers who wish to advertise in comics.
  • Options
    compsolut said:

Boy Image has some great books out . . .

Yes, they do. Many of their ads are in the back of the issue.
    There's also some good stories.
    Trees has been a favorite of mine. Nameless has been fun.
    Anyone hear of Saga or Lazarus? Both great yarns about families with challenges.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

I'm just happy that there are still customers who wish to advertise in comics.

I agree, but I bet if DC told everyone what Twix paid for this ad campaign, fanboy heads would explode...