Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe/ Marvel NOW 2.0 (Might contain some spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Anyone else reading Moon Knight? It doesn't have the "All New All Different" handle, but is only about 4 issues in. I'm on the fence about it.

I've read virtually no Lemire previously. Is his stuff a slow burn? It's not quite Bendis, but feels like each issue gets going, then it's "continue next issue".

M
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763

Just the solicits and the press. Saves money.

Your characterization was spot on, nonetheless.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

Anyone else reading Moon Knight? It doesn't have the "All New All Different" handle

So is that an indication that it's not in the same continuity as the ANAD titles, or that it didn't get rebooted with Secret Wars, or is it possibly just an oversight?

• Options

Matt said:

Anyone else reading Moon Knight? It doesn't have the "All New All Different" handle

So is that an indication that it's not in the same continuity as the ANAD titles, or that it didn't get rebooted with Secret Wars, or is it possibly just an oversight?

It's still Spector, but he's in an asylum & it's a question whether or not everything really happened or just part of his insanity. There's no specific indication of a reboot or being in the same continuity.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

It's still Spector, but he's in an asylum & it's a question whether or not everything really happened or just part of his insanity. There's no specific indication of a reboot or being in the same continuity.

M
    Probably strategic not to add the ANAD tag then
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    New Thanos series by Jeff Lemiere and Mike Deodato?
    Sounds interesting: comicbook.com/2016/07/11/exclusive-marvel-announces-new-thanos-series/
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

Anyone else reading Moon Knight? It doesn't have the "All New All Different" handle, but is only about 4 issues in. I'm on the fence about it.

I've read virtually no Lemire previously. Is his stuff a slow burn? It's not quite Bendis, but feels like each issue gets going, then it's "continue next issue".

M

I’ve been reading it. And, yes, it has been a rather slow build up. I’ve read all of Jeff’s non-superhero stuff and a bit of his superhero stuff, and I prefer his creator-owned work by far. He seems to work better on a more intimate scale. Of all the Marvel heroes he could have been picked for, I thought Moon Knight would be a pretty good fit, and for the most part I like what he’s been doing—not as much as Ellis’ too brief run but well enough. But I do wish he’d packed those first four issues into three. I'm keeping it at least for a while longer because I want to see how this first story resolves.
  • Options

I’ve been reading it. And, yes, it has been a rather slow build up. I’ve read all of Jeff’s non-superhero stuff and a bit of his superhero stuff, and I prefer his creator-owned work by far. He seems to work better on a more intimate scale. Of all the Marvel heroes he could have been picked for, I thought Moon Knight would be a pretty good fit, and for the most part I like what he’s been doing—not as much as Ellis’ too brief run but well enough. But I do wish he’d packed those first four issues into three. I'm keeping it at least for a while longer because I want to see how this first story resolves.

Have you checked out Lemire's Black Hammer yet? Masterful.
  • Options

Matt said:

M

One thing I do like that's he's doing is essentially addressing this notion is crazy like Huston started. It's back to the ambiguity of what really happened & what's Spector think happened (like in the first issue of volume 1). I think a couple series since Huston has just written him off as nuts instead keeping a mystery.

I'm riding out the first arc, but the story doesn't feel that original. There's already been an episode of Buffy & one of Smallville which has done the same thing; and those were only the first to jump to mind. Moench even did something similar in the High Strangers miniseries following Spector's other death in Marc Spector: Moon Knight.

M
  • Options

Have you checked out Lemire's Black Hammer yet? Masterful.
    I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, but it’s on my pull list.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    The Marvel 2.0 Promo book, that comes out in shops this week, has leaked. Or, perhaps, "leaked" online.

Coverage on CBR here.

While the Waid-led Avengers that I have been reading and enjoying is rebooting (and maybe becoming regularly twice a month, following two teams? I can't tell.) I was glad to see that some other titles I am currently enjoying as-is, like Black Panther, Punisher, Dr. Strange are continuing on with their current stories and, it seems, either entirely the same creative teams (in the case of Dr. Strange, and hopefully Punisher once we see the creator details), or at least the same writers (in the case of Black Panther).

Some surprises in the mix as far as some of the new solo books. I feel like a Slapstick solo book is basically saying, if there is an audience for things that (from the looks of them) are lighter and funnier books, Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck, we can do a Slapstick book. And I suppose that gets balanced out, ying-yang style, with there being a monthly Foolkiller title as well. (I would assume, like the current Punisher, that will have one of those "PARENTAL ADVISORY- NOT FOR KIDS" labels on it like Punisher does.)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    And, of course, if their checklist is meant to show us the whole line, and that might not be the case, we'll see, then it looks like it will be a hard time to be an X-fan.

Of course, Death of X might also just be the pivot point (Secret Wars-like) that builds up some attention and demand, and leads to the new status quo/ relaunch of whatever #1 X-issues launch in four or five months.

Or, maybe they are actually going to test the waters to see what a few months without X-books (other than all the Deadpool ones) mean to their overall sales. We'll see.

And it seems to be a particularly good time to be a villain in the MU.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I was glad to see that some other titles I am currently enjoying as-is, like Black Panther, Punisher, Dr. Strange are continuing on with their current stories and, it seems, either entirely the same creative teams (in the case of Dr. Strange, and hopefully Punisher once we see the creator details), or at least the same writers (in the case of Black Panther).

I'd bet that Coates is signed on for 12 issues, with the possiblity of a longer run depending on sales. Stelfreeze can’t draw 12 issues a year (unless he’s gotten a lot faster), so I'm sure there will be a fill-in artist somewhere along the way.
  • Options

David_D said:

I was glad to see that some other titles I am currently enjoying as-is, like Black Panther, Punisher, Dr. Strange are continuing on with their current stories and, it seems, either entirely the same creative teams (in the case of Dr. Strange, and hopefully Punisher once we see the creator details), or at least the same writers (in the case of Black Panther).

I'd bet that Coates is signed on for 12 issues, with the possiblity of a longer run depending on sales. Stelfreeze can’t draw 12 issues a year (unless he’s gotten a lot faster), so I'm sure there will be a fill-in artist somewhere along the way.
    I think you're right. I remember Coates giving some number of issues out in an interview. I think it may have been 12. I'm hoping they get him for more after that, but we'll see.
  • Options
    Some of the Marvel comic writers' Twitter feeds get pretty political, but after seeing the latest from newcomer David Walker I actually wonder if right-leaning comic book readers are even welcome at Marvel Comics anymore.

This is ugly.

Perhaps it's a gimmick to pump up sales? Anyone here one of the 16k people reading his Nighthawk series?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2016
    I only read issue one. The villains were white racist(is there any other kind?) drug dealers.

As a conservative white person I'm really, really upset to see Nighthawk beating up the KKK. Lord knows we white conservatives love our KKK. Boy, they better not have him beating up any Nazis because then I'll really be pissed.

Does one remove the dicks from the bag and then eat them or are you meant to eat the whole bag with the dicks still inside?

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Does one remove the dicks from the bag and then eat them or are you meant to eat the whole bag with the dicks still inside?

Not sure what the process is exactly, but if it's going to be revealed in this comic, he'd better hurry up because I'm predicting it's a limited series after seeing the sales figures. He was just announced for a new ongoing Occupy Avengers though (not kidding), so there's another fun title he'll get to piss off half the audience with. I don't have to read either book to know that neither of these will be added to my pull list.

Other than the occasional Epic or Omni, I think I'm about tapped out on Marvel these days.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited July 2016
    Black Widow is good (at least until its momentum gets crushed by the issue #6 Civil War II crossover)

Thor has Jason Aaron so that makes it a buy - in trade.

I like Ms. Marvel but it is not for everybody.

Besides that, it is just the occasional Epic Collection for me as well.

As the 3rd ranking forum conservative white guy - behind bralinator and Mr._Cosmic - I make our general dislike of David F. Walkers work unanimous.
    A bonus dislike from me, because my ex wife used to say the "eat a bag of dicks" insult as well.
  • Options
    I noticed there wasn't a thread for Civil War II. Anyone reading? Anyone distraught over the death in issue 3? Does it really mean anything at this point?

M
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Matt said:

I noticed there wasn't a thread for Civil War II. Anyone reading? Anyone distraught over the death in issue 3? Does it really mean anything at this point?

M

Will be reading it later today. I'm going to make a separate thread for it, so that spoiler talk for it doesn't end up in here.
  • Options
    The only thing of Walker’s I’ve read is Power Man & Iron Fist, and I'm loving it. A very fun, light-hearted book.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    You eat the bag of dicks in the way one might eat a bag of potato chips (or a packet of crisps for those across the pond). Discard the bag after use.
  • Options
    I'm just not that hungry. Sorry Mr. Walker.
  • Options
    Looking at recent sales numbers, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl has a lot of vocal fans, but issue #9 sold under 15K issues. That's around 4 copies per comic shop - if you don't think they were in direct market sales. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #8 sold several thousand less, and Marvel seems to be doubling down on this strategy.

Is anyone else less-than-excited about some of these new Marvel titles?

Foolkiller, Solo, Slapstick, Great Lakes Avengers, Champions, et al? I keep seeing a cartoon approach to many recent Marvel titles, but I don't think they realize that their biggest demo (middle-age men) aren't going to support these titles in droves. I'm guessing that most of these new cartoonish books were green-lit 6 months ago when this latest batch of cartoony books were putting up high numbers. Yes?

If this is the strategy and their downplaying their legacy characters, I can't help but think DC is primed to overtake Marvel in sales over the next 6 months.
  • Options

I keep seeing a cartoon approach to many recent Marvel titles, but I don't think they realize that their biggest demo (middle-age men) aren't going to support these titles in droves. I'm guessing that most of these new cartoonish books were green-lit 6 months ago when this latest batch of cartoony books were putting up high numbers. Yes?

What exactly do you mean by “cartoon approach”? I only see five titles I would describe as humor books out of the 60 titles listed. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is not one of those five either. It’s light-hearted and appropriate for kids of all ages, but it’s not a humor book. It’s very much tied into the Inhumans thread that’s running through the core of the Marvel Universe.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I keep seeing a cartoon approach to many recent Marvel titles, but I don't think they realize that their biggest demo (middle-age men) aren't going to support these titles in droves. I'm guessing that most of these new cartoonish books were green-lit 6 months ago when this latest batch of cartoony books were putting up high numbers. Yes?

What exactly do you mean by “cartoon approach”? I only see five titles I would describe as humor books out of the 60 titles listed. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is not one of those five either. It’s light-hearted and appropriate for kids of all ages, but it’s not a humor book. It’s very much tied into the Inhumans thread that’s running through the core of the Marvel Universe.
    "Cartoon approach" doesn't only cover humor @nweathington - it also encompasses the art style which permeates several of Marvel's books these days. "Light-hearted", "for kids", "adorable", call it whatever you like. One of your faves, Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! is another one (selling 13k). Silver Surfer and Power Man & Iron Fist are others (to a lesser degree). Of course I realize you are fond of these art styles, so I should have expected you to respond (still waiting for David), but to me and many others they feel "cartoonish". Something to be said for the old 'house style'

• Options

Fill in artist Chris Sprouse is on board as artist beginning with issue #5 next month.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868

"Cartoon approach" doesn't only cover humor @nweathington - it also encompasses the art style which permeates several of Marvel's books these days. "Light-hearted", "for kids", "adorable", call it whatever you like. One of your faves, Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! is another one (selling 13k). Silver Surfer and Power Man & Iron Fist are others (to a lesser degree). Of course I realize you are fond of these art styles, so I should have expected you to respond (still waiting for David), but to me and many others they feel "cartoonish". Something to be said for the old 'house style'

There is obviously some value Marvel get out of them that they didn't get from, say, Illuminati.

That might be online sales, overseas sales, company perception, value as part of the overall catalogue, development of IP, development of talent, nurturing a new audience or something else.

Marvel are still cancelling books ruthlessly, so if you're surprised that something is still being published, that means there's a reason for it. It just might not be visible from the single metric of US direct market sales.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Brack said:

There is obviously some value Marvel get out of them that they didn't get from, say, Illuminati.

That might be online sales, overseas sales, company perception, value as part of the overall catalogue, development of IP, development of talent, nurturing a new audience or something else.

Marvel are still cancelling books ruthlessly, so if you're surprised that something is still being published, that means there's a reason for it. It just might not be visible from the single metric of US direct market sales.

Potentially the reasons would be "contracts" or "trades"
  • Options
    On a positive note, the new Spider-Man ongoing by Gerry Conway and Ryan Stegman looks interesting and I may try an issue or two of Gamora from Nicole Perlman and artist Marco Checchetto.