Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1572 Talkback - Comic Talk

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited September 2015 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Come in! Come in! Are you receiving us? The Geeks work against scheduling conflicts and hostile technological conditions to bring you this end-of-summer care package of Comic Talk, featuring a recap of Pants' exciting time at the Connecticut Comicon; a shocking Shop Talk segment built around a bold announcement from Chris and Bill of Wildpig Comics (teaser title: 'A Farewell to Floppies?...'); and a rash of rumination over our recent reading. (1:45:00)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I don't see it in my iPhone's podcasts feed yet, but I'm very encouraged to learn that there's a new episode available and yet to be discovered. It was along, hot August.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I love a @wildpigcomics sermon!

Good to have you guys back. As always great stuff. Looking forward to new spotlight!
  • Options
    Hasn't hit my podcast feed yet, but glad to see everyone is alive and kicking. Was getting a little worried about you clowns.
  • Options
    Chris, I understand your thoughts on new comics. I have a friend who owns a comic shop and he struggles with the lapsed reservist, as Bill calls them. May I ask how your new plan deals with those lapsed reservist?
  • Options
    Great episode! @wildpigcomics I love listening/talking to other shop owners/managers to get into their mindset. Much like you, our store would not be able to exist without those extra pop culture items. You mentioned Magic: The Gathering as a crucial piece to success. For us MTG, Vinyl, and used video games are that extra value-add to help us through the lean times.

The idea of removing new comics from our shop, save the reservist, has not fully crossed our minds. We have decided to pair back what we get, but we do have enough folks off the street that come in and pull from the new book rack. The previous owner ordered based on his tastes, and as such missed a lot of great titles (Walking Dead, Saga, Criminal - to name a few).

To reduce the deadbeat issue, anyone who sticks us with books gets one "oops". After that, the only way they can order from us is to prepay. Thankfully we haven't had that issue as of late (knock on wood).

Having been to Wildpig Comics, the two advantages we have going for our shop are that we are right in a pedestrian friendly downtown, with a park across the street and coffee/ice cream shops just down the sidewalk, and due to being in a smaller city, we have an 1100 square foot retail space to work with at a decent price. What we do not have going for us is population. We have an immediate population of 15,000 - with an extended population within 15 miles under 100,000. We have to make the most of what we have!

We also have migrated heavily to trades, especially for new readers. The idea of a trade only comic store just seems foreign to me, but I have to admit, it's definitely an appealing business model. You are selling complete stories/arcs, and there is a better page per $ point in most case that people feel like they are getting the better deal.

Keep up the great work!
  • Options
    Insightful discussion by Chris and Bill on the state of the comic retail industry. I wish you guys luck with your new business model.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Oh, yay! A new episode (plus a Time Bubble?! Excellent!) I always like hearing about Pants convention excursions. Nice to hear that he also partook of the gambling opportunities and won! As for Wild Pig's new policy, I can understand it. My friend who owns a comic shop here in Japan often struggles with what he should order because folks in Japan have some slightly different tastes. (For example, he orders really big on Transformers and Deadpool and most of his regular customers are women). If he could understand it all, I'm sure he would enjoy the discussion you guys had. I may just bring up your plan with him when I see him next week. Unfortunately, if he were to adopt your plan, then he'd lose the little business he gets from me when I go to his shop because basically I walk in, look over stuff that I DIDN'T order from DCBS and if I'm interested, I buy it because I just want something to read while I'm visiting his city on vacation.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    heh, can't get my feed to update past episode 1569.
  • Options
    Greg said:

heh, can't get my feed to update past episode 1569.

Yeah - there is an issue with iTunes that will have to work out. If you have the CGS app, go that route, otherwise check their Facebook feed, or hang in there until sir Deemer is back.
  • Options
    No updates in my iTunes either, so I am just sad...
  • Options

These are know issues. See http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/3587/cgs-technical-problems#latest for temporary work around suggestions.
  • Options
    Dan_in_WI said:

These are know issues. See http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/3587/cgs-technical-problems#latest for temporary work around suggestions.
    Thanks, but I can wait. I'd prefer to use my podcast player instead of downloading, and I don't have an Android, I use an iPhone. There are several other podcasts I subscribe to that I can listen to in the meantime.

http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/comment/88136/
  • Options
    if anyone is attending Baltimore and looking for a place to stay...message me I have an AirBnB about 8 min from the convention center and have 1 -2 spaces available
  • Options
    Great show. I love Comic Talks. I can't blame Chris for getting out of new issues. I just have a hard time pulling the trigger on $4 comics. I have been bargin binning my current Avengers and New Avengers run. I hope I can do the same for Secret War. And that will be the last time I will do that. Too much of a chore. Trades and digital comics for me.

That being said my son who is 11 has seen the solicits for the All New and All Different Marvel comics coming in October. I could tell him that maybe he should wait for the trades. I am thinking of telling him I'll match his chore money and cap it at $30 or about 7 titles. I don't think he will be buying enough to make DCBS worth the while for shipping. $4 comics suck man. They can't stay at $4 forever.
  • Options

$4 comics suck man. They can't stay at $4 forever.

They certainly won't stay $4 forever. They are continuing to increase.

• Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    edited September 2015

$4 comics suck man. They can't stay at $4 forever.

They certainly won't stay $4 forever. They are continuing to increase.

I dont get Previews but I'm led to believe a great many of the Marvel relaunch titles are $4.99.
    That article you linked to is a little strange. Those DC books are in book stores and its kind of like a $1 surcharge due to returnability. I would think this would send informed readers back to comic shops (which would be a good thing for comic shops).
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited September 2015
    Great episode.

I've tried to post longer comments twice, but they don't appear and I get a "Your comment is waiting for approval" message. No idea why. Maybe due to length?

I guess I don't have the space to get into the whys and wherefores, but what I wanted to point out was that http://www.comichron.com/ says that the raw numbers of new-release single issues are up over 12% this year, and are basically at a 20-year high.

People can say that this is due to retailers ordering 50 extra issues just to get a variant copy, but when the market for recent back issues of so many major series (Batman, Spider-Man, Thor) is so strong, the speculation theory doesn't explain it all.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited September 2015
    Deadbeats = Lapsed reservists

Chris and Bill complement each other so well :)
  • Options
    I'm about 15 minutes from the end, but I do have to but in and say that I do love the shop talk and business conversation from @wildpigcomics - always have been a big Eberle fan but these shop war stories add so much to the show IMO.

I'm nowhere near NJ but was happy to learn that you guys are selling back issues online, so I'll definitely check that out.

One customer's choices:
    I am lucky to have two fine shops where I live, and both are still in the new floppy game. I enjoy both- they have friendly staff and are fun to visit. Both ALSO have large back issue selection and I largely hit the shops for those. I do habitually drop by both for the 10-20 buck back issue purchase. The smaller shop has better pricing on back issues, and huge dollar bins where gems can be found. The larger shop has tons of space dedicated to new comics, back issues, trades, but also vintage toys, statues, genre-related art books, etc. and they host several great sales per year where back issues get priced to move- 50 cents, dollar, half off, etc.

For new books, I have ordered from DCBS for the discount for years. It's the only way I can avoid cutting titles that I love. In the past year I've gone digital with many titles, waiting for the dollar drop in price on them. Happy with the digital experience. With Marvel however, the floppy comes with the digital code for nearly everything, so those have stayed on my DCBS order. Of course the economics of that have affected any discount I get- to the point where after shipping costs, I am getting those books at close to- but not quite- cover price. So I may be close to starting up a pull file at one of the shops. It's basically a wash. I do love the convenience of getting my books from DCBS and their customer service is top notch. Honestly, that's hard to leave.

I've been a reservist elsewhere- I tried to be conscientious about it.. If I planned on dropping a title I'd just tell them to give me what was ordered and then stop ordering it for me. I know continuing to buy a title 2 issues after saying I wanted to drop it probably is above and beyond what a shop would expect but sometimes those books would find their way to another reservist jumping on and I wouldn't end up buying that book anyway. I just thought that was fair. I did give them 2 months notice when I moved as well, so they would stop my file without getting burned.

I have no doubt that behavior puts me in the minority. We live in an age where the consumer dictates so much in a lot of industries.. disruptions in print media and music industry are good examples.. Cable TV, that one hits close to home for me personally. I don't see that applying to most regular consumers of comics. I and many other customers do a lot of work to make purchasing decisions, ordering things 2 months out and paying for them in advance, checking back again and again to digital outlets to make sure I am getting the bang for my buck. I love the books I read and I have no hard and fast rules about not buying a book of the shelf for a particular price, but that said, in general I am just not getting the value out of a single issue new comic for north of $3.50. My recourse is to use discounts on offer in several places, and wait long after the date of publication (giving up a lot of the hot conversation in the process) to get those books for a lower price point that I find more agreeable.

Based on what I get and what I want, that MAY lead me back to the local shop. But I don't blame Chris for one second in making the decision to avoid new books. The cover prices will eventually drive me away from titles and eventually away from new books as a customer.
  • Options
    JDick said:

I dont get Previews but I'm led to believe a great many of the Marvel relaunch titles are $4.99.
    That article you linked to is a little strange. Those DC books are in book stores and its kind of like a $1 surcharge due to returnability. I would think this would send informed readers back to comic shops (which would be a good thing for comic shops).

Marvel did this with a number of their last #1's, where the first issue was $4.99, then it dropped back down. In some cases you got a 40 page issue, but most it's just capitalizing on the higher sales of the #1 that tend to tail off drastically (IMO).

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    The feed is right again
  • Options
    I'll be adding to @wildpigcomics' backissue collection at the end of October. So if you wind up finding a bunch of pre-52 and New 52 DC Comics in the bins, they might be mine!
  • Options
    Definitely add my voice to those who said they love hearing the comic shop talk; great, honest discussion. Great ep -- thanks, guys!

• Options
    Chris' and Bill's logical and heartfelt discussion really hits home with me.

I had a long post typed up but deleted it all because I feel most of what I said you all know and the meat is this:

1) The publishers need to get rid of Diamond's bullsh*t pricing scheme and cut the price of books in half. No more tiered purchase games, no gimmicks, just a simple straightforward price that levels the playing field for all retailers. Diamond's stupid ass business model, and publishers complacency, is KILLING comics. $4.99 books should move to $2.49 or $2.75, $3.99 to $1.99, etc. This will bring old readers back and attract new readers. The cost per issue is down but the volume will make it up.
    - To support this idea, the top discount at diamond is 50% give or take a few points. On a $3.99 book that puts the actual retailer price of the book at around $2. I dont know what the publishers margins are but lets put a conservative 30%. So, the cost is really about $1.30 - $1.40 (give or take a nickel).

2) Stop the variant madness. Put the best cover on a comic - period. The madness that is variants is totally out of control. All you are doing with variants to forcing LCS to make bad business decisions and burning-up long time readers.

3) Focus on quality not quantity of titles. Having 40 books on a wall might make you feel good as a publisher but if 40% are crap or you are going to cancel them in 5 or 6 issues, you are hurting your retailers and readers. Your goal as a publisher should be to hook every customer into buying ALL your books - really invest into the universe. I cant do that as a buyer when a significant chunk of books are junk.

On a side note, it pains me greatly that younger readers are not buying comics in droves! When I was a kid (late 80s/early 90s), my parents would take me and my siblings to the comic store every weekend. The store was always packed with people buying comics, toys, sports cards, card games, etc. I cant remember the last time I saw that kind of traffic in a comic store in the last 5+ years. In my informal survey of neighbors, siblings, co-workers, the main reason they dont take their kids is because of price. Comics are too expensive to indulge a small child who only get maybe 10-15 minutes out of a $4 or $5 comic. The bang for the buck is too low.

@wildpigcomics - Please, please send a letter, tweet, Facebook post to the publishers. Make your voice be heard. I cant believe you are alone.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the discussion with Chris and Bill regarding new issues. I think, though, that the comics industry has simply gone too far with becoming a niche or marginalized market from which to come back on a monthly basis. The Comichron website does a great job of detailing sales figures for comics. Compare the sales on most DC books today from the six months following the New52 launch and you'll be astounded at how little most books sell. Marvel is better, but still way down from the 70's-90's. The last reported issues of Green Lantern and Flash (two DC mainstays) both sold under 40,000 issues. How do they survive?

I think there are a few reasons why sales are down so much:

1. There are no monthly stories now. The production is now "for the trade."

2. The books read like "special stories" from the 60's-80's. They are mostly "artfully" done, with emphasis on flawed heroes, marginal heroes, anti-heroes, and villains with "troubled" backstories, making the heroes less heroic and the villains more sympathetic.

3. I don't think people want to pick up comics to read, regularly, about flawed heroes who are simply not heroic. Occasionally, sure, but not on a monthly basis.

4. And the monthly titles are simply too impenetrable. Imagine a new reader trying to jump on. I suppose it's great for long-time readers, but is it? There are fewer of them each month, if sales figures are to be believed.

5. DC really missed out on an opportunity with its New52 relaunch. What changed? Some costumes, some backstory, but the storytelling is the same as it's always been. And the "new" heroes aren't very likable. Batman is still a grim jerk, Superman is powered down, Wonder Woman is an overly aggressive warrior, and Green Lantern isn't on earth. DC could have gone back to telling stories about heroes, but instead created a universe none of us would want to live in.

Unlike Bill, I'm not optimistic. The numbers just don't seem to support long-term success. Hollywood may allow monthly comics to survive as a loss leader for upcoming movies, but the wonder I had as a kid each month when I would pick up a stack of comics is gone. (I realize that some of the wonder may be tempered by the fact that I am in my 40's, but I am referring to (a) how I imagine my 12 year old self, if he lived now, looking at a new issue of Justice League and (b) my seven-year old son, who loves the Flash TV show, the Flash TV show comic, but hates the Flash ongoing because its too confusing and Flash isn't like he is on TV.)
  • Options
    BlueBullitt01BlueBullitt01 Posts: 18
    edited September 2015
    @derekwilc I agree with some of your thoughts and would challenge others.

"1. There are no monthly stories now. The production is now "for the trade."

- I agree somewhat but not all books fall into this trap. Some comics are very good reads issue to issue - Darth Vader, Star Wars, Batman, etc. Should the creators be aware of the "trade trap"? Absolutely. More writers need take a step back and think "Would I be happy reading this comic with little to no information before hand? Does the issue stand on its own?"

"2. The books read like "special stories" from the 60's-80's. They are mostly "artfully" done, with emphasis on flawed heroes, marginal heroes, anti-heroes, and villains with "troubled" backstories, making the heroes less heroic and the villains more sympathetic."

- That is because we as an audience/culture have demanded more of our heroes and villains. The two-dimensional characters are written off as "cheesy" or "overly simplistic". If the audience really wanted those characters then Silver Age trades should be flying off the shelves and the movies would be similar.

"4. And the monthly titles are simply too impenetrable. Imagine a new reader trying to jump on. I suppose it's great for long-time readers, but is it? There are fewer of them each month, if sales figures are to be believed."

- Hasn't this always been the case? I am not far behind you in age. When I first started reading Batman it was issue number 460 (something). I didn't know what happened in the previous 459 issues. It didn't matter. I talked to the LCS people and kept picking up issues each month and pieced the important parts together.

I agree that the universes - TV, Movies, Video Games, Comics - don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. I am ok with that. For your son, I think reading the current Flash comic presents a much more complex character (not saying that's a good thing, just that he is) than the one on the TV show. At 7 I think its hard to understand the modernly written comic. What I do with kids that age is give them silver age comic reprints or trades as they tend to be more simplistic.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I really don't know how a LCS can survive today. I give Chris and his crew a lot of credit for not sitting idly by but taking steps to ensure the shop stays successful. Frankly, back issues are the only reason I'd set foot in a LCS(if I had one!). Monthly books are just too expensive at full price. We complain about the floppies but trades are getting out of hand too.
  • Options
    ComicversesComicverses Posts: 7
    edited September 2015
    Well, I had to access the episode over a libsyn feed on your facebook page as the site seems stuck on episode 1570, but I really listened with intense interest to the shop talk section. As some may know, I am a former comic shop employee living in the Kansas City area. I worked for the only retailer in the city with an actual chain of stores. When I began working for him, my boss owned three shops in the Kansas City area. When I left (and to this day) he had/has 2 locations (B-Bop Comics). There is some gaming merchandise sold at both locations though I don't believe either site hosts actual gaming events. My reasons for leaving were based on events in my life and had nothing to do with the store. But when I worked there, it was a common occurrence that I purchased about 15-20 books a week at the typical subscriber discount of 10%. Since leaving, I am working towards the goal of completing my "man cave"/comic book room and the simple fact is I have no room for the comics I already own and I still buy new issues, although I now use DCBS to save money and have the convenience of having my books show up on my doorstep neatly and safely packaged twice a month. But despite having drawn my wife into the hobby since working for B-Bop, we have severely cut our intake of books, almost to the point that I order mostly books we'll only both read. That has us down to roughly 30 issues or books per month and the only reason I save with twice monthly shipping is I usually order a trade for anywhere from $25-$100 cover price at 40% off and I just tack on my $14 shipping to that book's cost and it makes up for the difference. The other great thing your podcast introduced me to (besides DCBS) is binding and I'm finding that as I consolidate my collection into one location I'm sorting it into three "piles". A "to sell" section on ebay for books I just don't care enough for that I'll ever re-read them. A "save" section for long runs of books, many of which I re-buy as handy to-read trades and omnibus editions but I like having the original issues. And a third "to be bound" section for books that I think will look slick on the shelves but I will be dust before they are ever actually collected by the publisher or I'd just rather pay to have a custom edition than to buy the collection. The recent I,Zombie Omnibus looks great, but I'll settle for paying to have my collection of the book bound in two editions I can have custom designed, for instance. So it's an interesting time for me as a collector as my money swings from actually buying books at the pace I used to, into buying fewer books and hopefully saving enough money to do custom binds on stuff I have previously purchased. The sheer volume of books I want to have bound probably exceeds or at least approaches $2,000 and that's at 4 binds for $100. I regret I couldn't keep giving my business to my former employer but it simply wasn't cost efficient. I agree with Chris Eberlee that single issue comics are unfortunately on the way to extinction.