Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2014
    Caliban said:

Ian Gibson

Good series. I bought it and read it the first time it was published by Eclipse back in the early ’90s. It started out very strong, but petered out a bit toward the end. Well worth reading though.

I thought about posting this very cover the other day, but I thought I’d go even more obscure (well, obscure for us Americans anyway).
  • Options
    Mike Ploog and Frank Giacoia 1973
  • Options
    Okay, I know it says *A" comic cover a day, but here's a nod to the Avengers penchant to incorporate disembodied heads looking down at whatever's going on with the rest of the cover:

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

These last two are so funny when you follow the eyelines then look at the expressions.
  • Options
    This has been posted before, but I saw a gorgeous copy on the back wall at my local shop this week.

Plus... Groot.

• Options
    WetRats said:

These last two are so funny when you follow the eyelines then look at the expressions.
    Seems Hawkeye doesn't share the same level of interest as She-Hulk in Starfox's, um, posterior.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Seems Hawkeye doesn't share the same level of interest as She-Hulk in Starfox's, um, posterior.
    Nor does Thor.

Cap, however...
  • Options
    Maybe Starfax sat in something? Or, you know ... had an "accident"?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    WetRats said:

Captain Marvel is not impressed.
  • Options

Maybe Starfax sat in something? Or, you know ... had an "accident"?

I think that's more the case with the Hawkeye one.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

Captain Marvel is not impressed.
    I dunno... She's trying to play it cool, but she's looking back over her nonexistent shoulder.
  • Options
    one of the issues on my wish list for London Super Comic Con
    Jack Sparling 1973
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited February 2014
    Caliban said:

one of the issues on my wish list for London Super Comic Con

Really? Why is that?

I own this one:

• Options
    That one as well. Any 70s horror comics
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    WetRats said:

<
    I dunno... She's trying to play it cool, but she's looking back over her nonexistent shoulder.

I think Monica's unimpressed with the Star Fox's Fox (hey I'm not the one that drew her taking a peek at his junk). Look at that face; it's says it all.
  • Options
    After leaving FF, Romita took over Captain America from Gene Colan with issue #138. Here’s my favorite of his Cap covers from 1971: Captain America #143 (Nov. 1971).

• Options
    1974 Luis Dominguez
  • Options
    Both the biggest source of pride, and regret, of my comic collection ... the fabled "Brave and the Bold" issue #28, noted for being the first appearance of the JLA, and which I unknowingly picked up for about $1 when I was 10:

"But G Man, that is such a great find! How can this also your biggest source of regret" you ask? Well, friend, thanks for asking. It seems the dumbass original owner of said comic cut out the ad on the backpage in order to send away for "REAL FOREIGN COINS!" Bastard.

• Options
    We can’t finish 1971 off without another romance cover. My Love #12 (July 1971) is interesting in that Romita was specifically going for a “French romance style” (according to a note he wrote in the margin of the original art). It barely looks like Romita’s work—you can really only easily see it in the man’s face—but I’ve seen a scan of the original art, and it’s got Romita’s signature on it.

• Options
    As with FF, Romita wasn’t long for Captain America. Issue #148 (Apr. 1972) was his last cover, and he only provided inks for the interior (over Sal Buscema, which made for an interesting combination).

• Options
    In honor of the current CGS Spotlight series, here are the 2 oldest issues of the FF in my collection:

• Options
    Don Lawrence 1977
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Another highlight from 1972, Luke Cage: Hero for Hire #1 (June 1972). Romita not only penciled and inked the first two covers, he also designed the character and costume (with input from Roy Thomas).

• Options
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I’ve done Crisis and I’ve done Legends. Now, let’s look at a few covers from DC’s next big crossover: Millennium!

Millennium was essentially a Green Lantern event, or, more accurately, a Green Lantern Corps event. The Guaradians, who had packed up and left the universe with the Zamarons after the Crisis in an effort to ‘rediscover’ themselves, were returning, and wanted to raise humanity to the next level of evolutionary enlightenment. Opposing them were the Manhunters, robots originally built by the Guardians as their first police force, and who had rebelled against their masters, taking to an existence of interstellar bounty hunters. It was written by Steve Englehart and drawn by Joe Staton and Ian Gibson.

In some ways, Millennium was actually a more successful crossover than the previous ones: it was weekly (and all issues and crossovers came out on time), each connecting crossover book had a banner identifying which week’s chapter it was connected to, and, for the most part, each crossover actually contributed to the overall story. There were a few exceptions and bumps, but most of it was cohesive and solid.

In other ways, it was not so successful. The climax, in particular, felt weak; we went through two months of story to get – what? Another superhero team!? And some of the metaphysics came across as just so much New Age mumbo jumbo.

Still, it was a fun romp and had a number of high points worth remembering… as well as some cool covers.

Here’s a handful of Millennium covers by Joe Staton and Bruce Patterson.

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    While most of the crossovers interacted closely with the main storyline, a few did so only grudgingly. Flash and Wonder Woman, in particular, were guilty of this, focusing on their own ongoing storylines and giving only a few pages to acknowledge the Millenium event. In WW’s defense, though, George Perez (who did the covers below) was already into his own muti-part epic, Challenge Of The Gods, which was detailing WW’s past and connection to the outside world when Millennium was suddenly dropped upon him.