Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

dubbat138 said:

Carl Barks does the cover.

Earlier this year I found a stack of almost 50 issues of the Uncle Scrooge and Uncle Scrooge Adventures series that Gladstone published in the 90s. Pretty sure the lead story "Treasure of Marco Polo" was drawn by Carl Barks. Plus you get 3 one page gag strips. The Donald Duck and the Daisy Duck ones are drawn by Jack Bradbury and reprints from the 50s Donald Duck Four Color series. The Uncle Scrooge one pager is drawn by Al Taliaferro and is a reprint of a 60s era Sunday comic strip. One thing that stands out for me with this issue is the cover is made out of newsprint.

“Marco Polo” is not one of Barks’ best, but it's a good one. I think the version you have is actually changed a bit from the original to tone down some of the racial stereotyping.

Yeah, I don't get the newsprint cover either. Most of their covers were standard glossy covers, but some were newsprint—I assume for financial reasons.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was revised a bit from the original. About half the Uncle Scrooge comics I got in my stack have those newsprint covers.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited June 2014
    Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man Vol 1 #5
    Cover: Dave Cockrum
  • Options
    Have a great July 4th, everyone!
    Always loved the rock solid anatomy skills displayed on this cover...
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Tonebone said:

Have a great July 4th, everyone!
    Always loved the rock solid anatomy skills displayed on this cover...

Fantastic!

Great composition, and I love all the "ordinary" heroism going on alongside the "super" heroism.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that the art for the Pep cover is by Irv Novick... he was still drawing comics all the way up till the early 80's...
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,745
    Yeah, that's a classic—one of Novick’s best.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Happy Fourth of July! Here’s Ace’s little know character, The Flag, in his debut in Our Flag Comics #2 (Oct. 1941), with cover pencils and inks by a young Jim Mooney. The Flag made only (and appropriately) four appearances before the title was cancelled. The Flag moved on to a couple of other Ace comics but never gained the popularity of some of his fellow super-patriots.

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Sashaying his way to freedom!
  • Options
    Stevenw888Stevenw888 Posts: 114
    Launched by Farrell Comic Group in 1954 here's a great MADHOUSE cover. I know nothing about Farrell except that Steve Ditko sometimes drew for them. Could this have been an early Ditko?
  • Options

Launched by Farrell Comic Group in 1954 here's a great MADHOUSE cover. I know nothing about Farrell except that Steve Ditko sometimes drew for them. Could this have been an early Ditko?

I suppose it's possible, but Diko’s cartooning was much better than what’s on this cover, even this early on. Plus, this particular cover was from the second Madhouse title and had a 1957 cover date. Ditko had moved on to Charlton by then, and I don't think he did much, if anything, for anyone else until he moved to Marvel.

Robert W. Farrell published comics under three different imprints from ’51–’58. In 1958 he started the Mad magazine rip-off, Panic, and in 1969 he became the publisher of the Warren knock-off Eerie Publications.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Nick Cardy

Can not remember if I posted this cover before. I know I saw it on one of those Top 20 oddball comic cover lists. I was digging through a box of mostly 70s era DC stuff. Got a almost near mint copy for under $5.

Another Nick Cardy cover. Found this one in the same box as the other comic. I would say it is in Fine shape. And it was $3.

Two more Nick Cardy covers. Both of these are a hair below fine condition. But they were only $1.50 each. Issue 16 is worth that just for the cover.

• Options

I suppose it's possible, but Diko’s cartooning was much better than what’s on this cover, even this early on. Plus, this particular cover was from the second Madhouse title and had a 1957 cover date. Ditko had moved on to Charlton by then, and I don't think he did much, if anything, for anyone else until he moved to Marvel.

Robert W. Farrell published comics under three different imprints from ’51–’58. In 1958 he started the Mad magazine rip-off, Panic, and in 1969 he became the publisher of the Warren knock-off Eerie Publications.

Thanks nweathington I'm indebted to your encyclopaedic knowledge.
  • Options

Thanks nweathington I'm indebted to your encyclopaedic knowledge.
    Oh, it's far from encyclopaedic. I just know enough that I have a good starting point, which makes it easier for me to do a little research and fill in the blanks. I don't think I’d ever seen any covers for Madhouse before your post, but I remembered Farrell’s name, so it got me curious.

I can't find a credit for any of the covers to either the first Madhouse series (1954), which lasted four issues, or the second (1957), which lasted three issues, but they all appear to have been done by the same artist. They remind me of Al Jaffee’s work, but he was busy at Timely/Marvel at that time.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    1983 Jim Baikie and Garry Leach
  • Options
    Epic Illustrated #33 (vol 1) December 1985
    Cover art: Phil Hale

an American figurative painter who currently resides in London, England. Prior to turning to fine arts he worked as an illustrator, doing mostly figurative work. He was apprenticed to/ partnered with American painter Rick Berry. His most frequent published work has been for book covers. To the best of my knowledge, this was his only cover for Epic Mag as well as his only work for Marvel.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Epic Illustrated #33 (vol 1) December 1985
    Cover art: Phil Hale

an American figurative painter who currently resides in London, England. Prior to turning to fine arts he worked as an illustrator, doing mostly figurative work. He was apprenticed to/ partnered with American painter Rick Berry. His most frequent published work has been for book covers. To the best of my knowledge, this was his only cover for Epic Mag as well as his only work for Marvel.
    I really, really like Hale’s work. He did three short stories for Epic as well as the one cover, two of which he wrote. That was his first comic book work, and his only sequential work as well as far as I’m aware. A few years ago he did a cover for one of Marvel’s Halo graphic novels.

Most of his comic book work has fittingly been for Vertigo. My favorite of his covers was for the Vertigo anthology miniseries Flinch (2000). This particular issue had a fantastic, if somewhat disturbing, Bruce Timm story too.

Couldn't find a decent scan of the original issue, but the trade collection used the same cover, of which I did find a decent scan.
  • Options
    Holy cow! That is awesome! Thanks @nweathington for this post.
  • Options

Holy cow! That is awesome! Thanks @nweathington for this post.

Isn't it though? He’s one of those rare artists who utilizes a photorealistic style yet is still able to inject energy and a bit of surreality into his illustrations.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I agree too. "Flinch" - fantastic cover.
  • Options
    If I may be allowed to go a little bit further back in history, here's the cover of issue #74 from The Marvel Family. Cover date August 1952 - cover by C C Beck. Story by Otto Binder. Great use of primary colours.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    one for the women in white dresses near gothic architecture collection
    Mike Kaluta 1973
  • Options
    Over the holiday weekend I finally got around to reading the hardcover collection of Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover’s webcomic, Bandette, and I have fallen head over heels in love with it! So, even though it's a webcomic, here's the cover of Bandette #6.

If you like BD—think Tintin or Freddy Lombard—or caper movies, or the original The Pink Panther movie, or you simply like comics that aren't afraid to be fun and joyful, do yourself a favor and check out this book.
  • Options
    What a beautiful cover! Conjures up the very image of a Parisien street! Oh, to be in Paris again, now that summer's here!
  • Options
    This is not a comic cover, but follows on from nweathington's lovely cover above. This is a Parisien street. Forgive this picture if it's out of context, but I just thought it was fantastic!

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    The Bandette page looks like some of the New Yorker covers. Also, Paris seems more pleasant than my city.
  • Options

This is not a comic cover, but follows on from nweathington's lovely cover above. This is a Parisien street. Forgive this picture if it's out of context, but I just thought it was fantastic!

Is it weird that my first reaction to this photo is that it would make a great jigsaw puzzle?
  • Options
    While we’re in Paris, here’s the cover of Metamorpho #6 (May-June 1966) penciled by Joe Orlando and inked (appropriately enough) by Charles Paris.

• Options
    I seem to recall that Metamorpho was normally drawn by a woman artist. Would that be true?