Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    Stevenw888Stevenw888 Posts: 114
    Today is the birthday of Joe Shuster.
    Joseph "Joe" Shuster (July 10, 1914 – July 30, 1992) was a Canadian-American comic book artist. He was best known for co-creating the DC Comics character Superman, with writer Jerry Siegel, first published in Action Comics No. 1 (June 1938).
    If Joe were alive he'd be 100 years old today! Happy Birthday Joe!

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

I seem to recall that Metamorpho was normally drawn by a woman artist. Would that be true?

It would be... and it was. Metamorpho's co-creator was Ramona Fradon, who had also drawn Aquaman during the 50's while he was still a back-up feature in Adventure Comics and World's Finest. Fradon drew Metamorpho's first appearances in Brave & Bold and the first few issues of his own title. She also drew Plastic Man during the 70's, did a bunch of fill-in's at Marvel off and on, and took over the Brenda Starr newspaper strip for several years.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,623
    Metamorpho was drawn by the wonderful Ramona Fradon.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Cover by Tom Taggart. Picked this mostly because it has Tesla in it and today is his birthday.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,745
    dubbat138 said:

Cover by Tom Taggart. Picked this mostly because it has Tesla in it and today is his birthday.

The Big Book series was excellent. A lot of hidden gems in those volumes.
  • Options
    More Paris! Here’s the cover of the Kill All Monsters! vol. 1 collection by Jason Copland. It’s another web comic. It’s kind of like Pacific Rim, though I believe it started before Pacific Rim was announced. If you like that sort of thing, it’s worth checking out. It probably won't blow you away, but it's a solid read.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Here's his bio from Comic Vine:

"An ordinary human, King Kandy fought crime and or evil with a collection of specialized weapons all based on candy such as lollipop bombs worn in a crown, a licorice lasso, exploding gumdrops he wore on his red and white striped body armor, and candy cane grappling hooks."

Dude sounds like a straight up bad-ass.

The Red Bee gives much respect.
  • Options

Today marks the birthday of the underappreciated Ruben Moreira (1922-1984). Here's his cover for Fight Comics #28 (Oct. 1943).

I would love to see a grand "coffee table" style book of Fiction House covers.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Chris Weston 2014AD
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Caliban said:

Chris Weston 2014AD

I met Chris Weston yesterday, he had all the art pages from this story. They were beautiful.
  • Options
    On this day in 1945, the first atomic bomb was tested. That's all the reason I need to present Action Comics #101 (Oct. 1946), penciled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2014
    Anyone remember Ralph Snart comics?

When my parents found, and read, them in my room they went overboard and made me get rid of all my comics..EVERYTHING!
  • Options
    In reference to another thread, let's take a little journey... into mystery! Journey into Mystery #30 (Jan. 1956), penciled and inked by John Severin, to be precise.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Speaking of John Severin
    From June 1972
    Cover art by Herb Trimpe & John Severin
    "But Who Will Judge the Hulk?"

• Options

On this day in 1945, the first atomic bomb was tested. That's all the reason I need to present Action Comics #101 (Oct. 1946), penciled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye.

Wayne Boring is quickly becoming my favorite Superman artist.
  • Options
    Stevenw888Stevenw888 Posts: 114
    I certainly can't fault Wayne Boring - he was an excellent Superman artist. But, for me, no-one can top the indomitable Curt Swan...

• Options
    Curt Swan was the better illustrator, but I tend to prefer Boring’s more graphic approach to Superman. I also really like Jack Burnley’s Superman, particularly the way he drew Supes’ face. Here’s Action Comics #108 (May 1947), penciled by Burnley with inks by Stan Kaye.

• Options
    I've always liked Burnley's approach to Superman -- it looks like Joe Shuster by way of the Fleischer animated cartoons.
  • Options
    I would agree with that assessment, Chuck. Here's a more clear shot of Burnley’s Superman: Action Comics #86 (July 1945), inked by Stan Kaye.

• Options
    In honor of the passing of a fine actor, here’s Four Color #892 (Apr. 1958) featuring James Garner as Maverick.

• Options
    This is terrible, but I thought James Garner had passed away a few years ago.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rebis said:

Dislike...

http://youtu.be/StcJVOIxLdo

RIP Jim Rockford
  • Options

rebis said:

Dislike...

http://youtu.be/StcJVOIxLdo

RIP Jim Rockford
    Tough but fair.
  • Options
    A couple of other threads had me posting about one of my all-time faves, and one of the big reasons I got back into comics as a college freshman, The Tick! Here’s The Tick #3 (Dec. 1988), penciled by Ben Edlund and inked by Max Banks. Spoon!

• Options
    Creatures on the Loose (Vol 1) #21, January 1973
    Cover art Jim Steranko
    This is basically just a reprint of the comic Tales to Astonish #4 with a FAR SUPERIOR cover. This was back in the 1972-73 period when Steranko returned to Marvel for a brief stint after some years away from comics, just illustrating a series of random covers for Marvel, everything from westerns to horror to the Fantastic Four to Doc Savage and Shanna the She-Devil. I think he would do maybe two covers for two consecutive issues and that was it.

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Lovely dynamic cover from Gil Kane in 1977
  • Options

Creatures on the Loose (Vol 1) #21, January 1973
    Cover art Jim Steranko
    This is basically just a reprint of the comic Tales to Astonish #4 with a FAR SUPERIOR cover. This was back in the 1972-73 period when Steranko returned to Marvel for a brief stint after some years away from comics, just illustrating a series of random covers for Marvel, everything from westerns to horror to the Fantastic Four to Doc Savage and Shanna the She-Devil. I think he would do maybe two covers for two consecutive issues and that was it.

It wasn't quite a reprint issue -- the Gulliver Jones story that was cover-featured was a brand new story at the time.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

A couple of other threads had me posting about one of my all-time faves, and one of the big reasons I got back into comics as a college freshman, The Tick! Here’s The Tick #3 (Dec. 1988), penciled by Ben Edlund and inked by Max Banks. Spoon!

Night of a Million Zillion Ninjas!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I laughed so hard reading this issue, I tore it in half.

And it wasn't my copy.

• Options
    Thor (vol 1) #127
    Published: April 10, 1966
    Cover Artist: Jack Kirby

"The Hammer and the Holocaust!" takes place following Thor's battle with Hercules. The defeated Thor returns to Asgard to find all the rest of the Asgardians defeated by Seidring, who is in full possession of the Odinpower. After several pages of strange battle including Seidring hurling meteors at Thor, and trapping him in a bubble of liquid Wolfsbane, Stan Lee comes up with a fairly innovative way for a half-depowered Thor to best a villain with the full power of Odin...