Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options

All of which is, I'm sure, the reason my five-year-old brain (at the time) thought "AWESOME. ME WANT!!"

Funny, I was just thinking the exact same words.
  • Options
    Going from May 1970 back to May 1948: Though Basil Wolverton had been in the comics industry about ten years by the time he drew this cover for Powerhouse Pepper #2, this was only his third cover (to my knowledge). His second cover was for Powerhouse Pepper #1, which was published five years prior (cover dated January 1943). In the meantime, Wolverton had been writing and drawing the feature for a variety of Timely’s humor books, and Timely gave it another shot as their humor books began to take over from their superhero books. Perhaps they thought Wolverton’s recent appearances in Li’l Abner (with Lena the Hyena) and Life magazine would help sales this time around, but the revived series only lasted four issues.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    ...even the details on the ashtray, the bookshelf, the picture frame. Amazing work from a comics master.
  • Options
    For April on my custom calendar, I went with a giant monster of sorts..from Astonishing Tales #23 (April 1974) by Gil Kane and Mike Esposito.

I'm guessing I've posted this one before (apologies), but this is the first time I've posted my actual copy. This one is in considerably better condition than that rag of a Spidey upstream...or some issues still upcoming...but by this point I was a sophisticated 9-year-old... ;)

• Options

Going from May 1970 back to May 1948: Though Basil Wolverton had been in the comics industry about ten years by the time he drew this cover for Powerhouse Pepper #2, this was only his third cover (to my knowledge). ...

My exposure to Basil Wolverton was, of course, in Plop, which I bought quite religiously early on. Appealed to the same funny bone as Wacky Packages for me at that time, I suppose....

This one, from September-October 1973, also features "(Marginals)" by Sergio Aragonés, per GCD.

• Options
    June 1948: This isn't really the best cover of the month, but I find it rather interesting. The drawing is very good, but not quite great, and I can find no verification as to who drew it. I think it may be early Dan Decarlo work as he began transitioning towards the style we're all familiar with, as this looks somewhere between his early 1947 Millie the Model work I've seen by him and the Millie the Model work of the ’50s where his style was well developed. It doesn’t look like any other Timely artist I know of. It’s certainly not Morris Weiss, who was a regular artist on Tessie—it's too good.

• Options
    Can I just say, I'd dearly love to purchase @RobAnderson 's fantastic custom calendar.
  • Options

Can I just say, I'd dearly love to purchase @RobAnderson 's fantastic custom calendar.

Ha, thanks! It was a heckuva lot of fun to do, but sharing it is turning out to be fun, too! ;-)

@nweathington Love that fun cover, and seeing all these I've never seen. I need to spend more time with the non-Marvel Gerber cover volumes, if they're even in there!

• Options
    If I was building my own custom-made comic book calendar, this would definitely be my January page. I'm sure it's been posted here before, but repetition is the sign of an outstanding cover as far as I'm concerned.
    Plastic Man #1, December 1966. Artwork by Gil Kane.
  • Options

If I was building my own custom-made comic book calendar, this would definitely be my January page.

A Kane I'd never seen! Love it!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,622

Wowzas. Kids in the 1940s got all the good covers
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Wowzas. Kids in the 1940s got all the good covers
    During the war years, you really only saw this kind of undress in the damsel in distress covers of the superhero, war, and sci-fi comics. But from late 1946 through 1947, a wave of good girl art (with artists like Matt Baker and Jack Kamen riding high atop the wave) hit the industry. A subgenre of that was the “career girl” humor books, of which Tessie the Typist was part. They were aimed at both women (for the romantic aspects of the humor) and young men (who liked to ogle the female leads). Timely had a bunch of these books, and this Tessie cover was pretty typical of the imagery used, though it's better drawn than most. Lots of bikinis, lots of skirts and tight blouses. Millie the Model emerged as the top of that pile once Dan Decarlo became the main artist in 1948. I'm sure I'll post some of those down the road.
  • Options
    For May 2016 in my custom calendar, I went with another "well-loved rag" from my collection, Silver Surfer #15 (April 1970) by Marie Severin and Joe Sinnott...another comic left to the tender mercies of my five-year-old self.

• Options
    For June 2016 in my custom calendar I went with an old favorite of mine - Avengers #130 (December 1974) by Gil Kane with inks by Dave Cockrum.

Even though I was quite a bit older when this one came out, I read it so many times, it's still pretty worn out.

• Options
    Forbidden Worlds #73
    December 1958
    Cover art by Ogden Whitney

• Options

Forbidden Worlds #73
    December 1958
    Cover art by Ogden Whitney

What's that pirate thinking? He's going to set fire to his own ship? I have to give him props for climbing up the mast one-handed though.
  • Options
    Ha! I missed that. How very observant Eric!
  • Options
    Abbott and Costello #2
    March 1948
    Cover by Lily Renée and Eric Peters

• Options
    Baffling Mysteries #8. Ace Magazines. Date: May 1952.
    Pencils: “Ace” Baker, Inks: “Ace” Baker. "Ace" could be a pseudonym.
    I defer to nweathington's superior knowledge.

imageimage
  • Options
    On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

The Vault of Horror #35
    March 1954
    Cover art by Johnny Craig

• Options

@Stevenw888 Sleestaks!! Now I have the Land of the Lost theme song stuck in my head.

And I think @bralinator has inaugurated the holiday covers...though I'm not quite done with my custom calendar posting yet. ;-)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,745
    edited December 2015

Baffling Mysteries #8. Ace Magazines. Date: May 1952.
    Pencils: “Ace” Baker, Inks: “Ace” Baker. "Ace" could be a pseudonym.
    I defer to nweathington's superior knowledge.

imageimage

Okay, I'll try to keep this brief. “Ace” Baker was a placeholder name given to an unidentified artist who appeared to have worked for Ace Magazines (a pulp and comic publisher from 1940-56) from late 1949 or so until the company folded in 1956. The “Ace” in the name, obviously, stands for Ace Magazines. The “Baker” in the name stands for Matt Baker, because this unidentified artist has similar qualities in their artwork, and many thought it to be Matt Baker’s work.

However, at the time I was working on a Matt Baker book, we found out that Baker had helped his friend and main inker at the time, Frank Giusto, get work at Ace, and may have even done some layouts for him to help him out, since Giusto often worked at Baker's apartment. And so Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr., who has every Ace comic and had been investigating the matter for years, and the rest of us working on the book came to the agreement that “Ace” Baker is almost certainly Frank Giusto.
  • Options
    That's yeoman's work Eric. Awesome.

Great cover too.

And I held of on the Christmas covers until we were in the "12 days..." time frame. Please don't feel constrained to carry that theme with me. I plan to post one a day until Christmas. But I enjoy everyone's contributions here in addition to the talented artists that created these covers.

• Options
    July 1948: Here's Will Eisner’s first comic book work after returning from serving in the war.

• Options
    On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #112
    March 1986
    Cover art by Kyle Baker

• Options

However, at the time I was working on a Matt Baker book, we found out that Baker had helped his friend and main inker at the time, Frank Giusto, get work at Ace, and may have even done some layouts for him to help him out, since Giusto often worked at Baker's apartment. And so Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr., who has every Ace comic and had been investigating the matter for years, and the rest of us working on the book came to the agreement that “Ace” Baker is almost certainly Frank Giusto.

@Nweathington, I'm indebted to you for your encyclopedic knowledge. I shall convey the information to "Comic Books Plus" from where the cover originated.
  • Options
    @bralinator I have a holiday cover I could post if I scan it -- I was thinking about using it for December the NEXT time I do a custom calendar -- but I'm afraid I'll steal the "12 Days" thunder if it's one you already planned on using!

In the meantime, more holiday cheer via scans for my 2016 custom calendar. ;)

For July, I went with Sub-Mariner #69 (March 1974) with pencils & inks by John Romita, Sr.

• Options

@bralinator I have a holiday cover I could post if I scan it -- I was thinking about using it for December the NEXT time I do a custom calendar -- but I'm afraid I'll steal the "12 Days" thunder if it's one you already planned on using!

In the meantime, more holiday cheer via scans for my 2016 custom calendar. ;)

For July, I went with Sub-Mariner #69 (March 1974) with pencils & inks by John Romita, Sr.

Sweet cover! Love JRsr's work on Spidey. And Spidey has SEVERAL Christmas themed covers to choose from. Join the party!
  • Options
    Aug. 1948: This is an interesting month. Timely published ten (!) new series—one crime/mystery, two westerns, three humor, and four superhero. But what's really interesting is that each of the superhero comics featured a female lead. There was Namora and Sun Girl, each lasting only three issues; a relaunched All Winners Squad which prominently featured Blonde Phantom on the cover (with Cap, Namor, and Torch waaaay in the background) and which turned out to be a one-and-done; and Venus, an odd series that went 19 issues but ranged in tone from superhero to romance to supernatural and, at the end, full-on horror.

With the war over, the few military hero holdouts find themselves going up against or teaming up with bad girl, Dragon Lady types. Don Winslow of the Navy goes up against Singapore Sal, while Blackhawk allies himself with the beautiful Miss Fear in Blackhawk and Tigra in Modern Comics.

Meanwhile, over at DC an end of an era of sorts came with All-American Comics #100. Johnny Thunder and his trusty steed Black Lightning took over the cover and the lead story position, with a demoted Green Lantern falling to the back of the book (and with issue #103 the book would be renamed All-American Western). And I thought about going with that cover, but I couldn't resist letting Green Lantern have the last laugh in this cover for Comic Cavalcade #28 penciled by Irwin Hasen and inked by Bob Oksner.

• Options
    On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

Blue Bolt Vol 3 #7
    December 1942
    Cover art by Ray Gill
    (I think, perhaps @nweathington can confirm?)