Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    dubbat138 said:

Myron Fass started out as an artist, but in 1956 went into publishing knock-off mags and girlie mags—bottom of the barrel stuff. In 1966 he co-founded Eerie Publications, a knock-off of Warren. The artist in this cover is basically a self-portrait:
    dubbat138 said:

This is one of the books he published—’nuff said:

• Options
    I'd actually owned that Captain Marvel, and probably the rest of the series as well. At the time, I'd never heard of the original Fawcett Comics version, and when Marvel introduced Mar-Vell in Marvel Super-Heroes, the break-apart version had long since 'split', to be completely forgotten.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention that the Captain Marvel cover was penciled by Carl Burgos, creator of the Human Torch.
  • Options
    People must have lost it when they saw Frazetta's work, if the covers prior to his were any indication of what he was up against.

The sarcophagus on #14 makes me wonder if Groucho Marx was a pharaoh in a prior life.
  • Options

A DC mini-series of the 1990's, Hacker Files was about cutting edge cyberhackery which would look pretty quaint by today's standards. Not a bad series, and Hacker himself showed up later in a JLI storyline. One of the most important things about this underrated series is that the issue above is where Barbara Gordon first takes off as Oracle, a super-hacker in her own right. (I believe she was already using the Oracle alias in Suicide Squad, but we only just learned Oracle's true ID at the conclusion of the story arc; this is where we first see her get set-up and make her contacts.)

Cover by Tom Canty.

• Options

Also from the 90's: Outlaws, a post-apocalyptic retelling of Robin Hood and his merry men, who were, perhaps, a little less merry here, all things considered. I didn't read much of this series, and I remember it having abysmal sales, but I did always like Luke McDonnell's art. Wish I'd given it another chance.

Cover by Luke McDonnell.
  • Options
    iirc, dubbat is a big fan of Outlaws.
  • Options

Before there was Starfire of the Teen Titans, there was Starfire! She was a freedom fighter of the far future, fighting against alien conquerors. It had nice art by Mike Vosburg, who knew how to draw pretty girls, and an interesting concept, but, alas, the series didn't really have any spark. Not even stories by David Michelinie and Steve Englehart could keep it alive.

Cover by Ernie Chan and Vince Colletta.
  • Options

This one comes from the 'what the hell were they thinking!?' department: a western team-up comic from Marvel. What can I say? This 'first fast-shooting issue' was also it's last. Sure as shootin'.

Cover by Larry Lieber.
  • Options

Just for fun, the World's Fair edition of The Flintstones At The New York World's Fair comic. I'm pretty sure there was a standard mass-market version from Gold Key as well, but I haven't got an image of it to post or even verify. And not just the Flintstones either, as plenty of other Hanna-Barbera favorites from Yogi Bear to Huckleberry Hound wander through the featured stories.

Cover by Mel Crawford.
  • Options
    Finally, since we were talking about the horror genre before I cut in, Marvel's answer to DC's late 60's horror and mystery comics. I think these were already mentioned several posts back, but I don't recall if the covers were posted or not. Here are...

Tower Of Shadows, and it's companion book, Chamber Of Darkness.

Both covers are by John Romita Sr, who, I must say, was just about the most unscary artist in the bullpen. The interiors, on the other hand, had top-notch work by the Marvel mainstays: Don Heck, John Buscema, Tom Sutton, and Jim Steranko.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    1979 2000AD sci-fi special by Brian Bolland because everything is better with monkeys.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Yes I am. It is a great series that it seems most fans have forgotten.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Also from the 90's: Outlaws, a post-apocalyptic retelling of Robin Hood and his merry men, who were, perhaps, a little less merry here, all things considered. I didn't read much of this series, and I remember it having abysmal sales, but I did always like Luke McDonnell's art. Wish I'd given it another chance.

Cover by Luke McDonnell.

I had never heard of that series till a few years back. Bought a random lot of 100 comics off Ebay and it had 2 issues of Outlaws in it. Tracked down the rest of the series at a con. I love post apocalyptic stuff. So this series was perfect for me.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

They were starting to run out of Place of Scariness titles.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Where scares the place.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited October 2012
    WetRats said:

They still had one left, a couple of years later: the Chamber Of Chills!

Cover by Gil Kane and Tom Palmer.

By that time, Tower Of Shadows had been cancelled, and the Chamber Of Darkness had become overrun by monsters:

Monsters On The Prowl, no less.

Cover by Steve Ditko and Marie Severin.
  • Options

Before there was Starfire of the Teen Titans, there was Starfire! She was a freedom fighter of the far future, fighting against alien conquerors. It had nice art by Mike Vosburg, who knew how to draw pretty girls, and an interesting concept, but, alas, the series didn't really have any spark. Not even stories by David Michelinie and Steve Englehart could keep it alive.

Cover by Ernie Chan and Vince Colletta.

Before there was Starfire of the Teen Titans, there was Starfire! And before there was Starfire, there was Starfire of the Teen Titans! Of course, when he was brought back in the ’80s, he ceded the name to the buxom alien and changed his name to Red Star. He was always the gentleman.

One of many great Teen Titans covers by Nick Cardy:

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited October 2012

WetRats said:

They still had one left, a couple of years later: the Chamber Of Chills!

Cover by Gil Kane and Tom Palmer.

By that time, Tower Of Shadows had been cancelled, and the Chamber Of Darkness had become overrun by monsters:

Monsters On The Prowl, no less.

Cover by Steve Ditko and Marie Severin.
    Nice "Run, Girl -- Run!" theme!
  • Options

Just for fun, the World's Fair edition of The Flintstones At The New York World's Fair comic. I'm pretty sure there was a standard mass-market version from Gold Key as well, but I haven't got an image of it to post or even verify. And not just the Flintstones either, as plenty of other Hanna-Barbera favorites from Yogi Bear to Huckleberry Hound wander through the featured stories.

Cover by Mel Crawford.

According to Jim Warren in The Warren Companion (TwoMorrows), Jim bought the comic book license for the NY World’s Fair, then subcontracted the license for Western/Gold Key to produce the book, published under JW Books (an imprint of Warren Publishing).

Here's the first reprint:

They also released a second reprint edition. I can't find an image to link to, but it's basically the same as the original comic (no yellow bar), only with a 29¢ price instead of 25¢.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

People must have lost it when they saw Frazetta's work, if the covers prior to his were any indication of what he was up against.

The sarcophagus on #14 makes me wonder if Groucho Marx was a pharaoh in a prior life.

He looks more like Clark Gable to me, with the big ears. Besides, Groucho never wore that much eyeshadow.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Yes I am. It is a great series that it seems most fans have forgotten.

I read the first issue when it came out, but it didn't do much for me either, and I didn't continue on with it. McDonnell was a pretty good artist even back then, but he often got saddled with inkers who didn't or couldn't do much with his pencils. This was one of the rare times he got to ink himself, and the results were much better than was typical of his DC work. I just couldn't get into the story.