Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

This is the first code approved issue of Web of Mystery. And also the next to last issue.
  • Options

Final issue of Web of Mystery. It mainly reprints censored versions of older Ace comics horror stuff.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Just a little nostalgic favorite of mine:

Regrettably, I don't know who the artist was.

It's George Wilson, who painted a ton of covers for Dell and Gold Key/Western. This is one I had as a kid, and is probably my favorite Wilson cover:

• Options
    Here's another comic from “the stack,” from November of 1955.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Brian Bolland again

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

Ken Rice

I don't know much about Ken Rice other than almost all of his comic book work was done for Ace, particularly their horror comics. He probably inked all his own work, like several other Ace artists.
  • Options

Looking at a few favorite series, mini-series and story arcs. This was from a brilliant mini-series by John Ostrander and Val Semeiks that looked at each of the different incarnations of the JLA during the post-Crisis era, from the classic days to the then-present Morrison 'magnificent seven'. In this first issue (above), we get a new version of the first JLA/JSA team-up, as well as probably the only time we see both Black Canaries, mother and daughter, in one of these team-teams. Subsequent issues showed us why Batman joined and why Superman was only an honorary part-timer, who destroyed the JLA satellite, how Justice League Detroit proved itself during the Crisis, another version of Kooey-Kooey-Kooey, and what finally happened with those aliens the JLA fought in their origin.

Cover by Val Semeiks and Prentis Rollins.
  • Options

Following the events of the Crisis On Infinite Earths, the JSA was trapped forever (we thought then) in limbo, fighting an eternal battle against the Ragnarok. But the fans just wouldn't allow the team to fade away. So DC brought them back in a mini-series that takes place roughly after their retirement, and features the roll call of that period. In classic tradition, the first few issues feature solo chapters of each member, followed by teaming up into pairs, and finally the whole team together. It was just like old times again.

Cover by Tom Lyle.
  • Options

After the debut of the Batman Animated Adventures tv show, DC, quite naturally, produced a companion comic -- which became an unexpected hit, not just with the readers, but with the professionals. A lot of talent wanted to work on this book, and for some it was even more of a favorite than the regular Batman titles. This issue was drawn by the talented Ty Templeton, but most of the series was rendered by the equally talented and fondly remembered Mike Parobeck, who put most of his best work into the book.

Cover by Ty Templeton.
  • Options
    Speaking of Ty Templeton...

This was one of the best story arcs of Mark Waid's run on the Flash during the 1990's: The Return Of Barry Allen. Supposedly back from the dead, Barry Allen goes on a jealous rampage, battling friends and his own heritage. I always liked this particular cover: Jay Garrick and 'Barry Allen' locked in a dramatic life-and-death clench, while, just beyond, Wally West, in despair and disgust, walks away from them and his discarded uniform. Great visual drama, presented by then-Flash cover artist, Ty Templeton.
  • Options

Looking to shake things up, DC broke Green (Hal Jordan) Lantern's reputation and sanity and handed the ring to newcomer, Kyle Rayner. I stopped buying the series at that point. Not as a protest against Rayner, because I liked the new kid. I didn't even mind that they had removed Hal Jordan. It was the way they did it that I objected to. So I quit GL cold turkey at that point, and, except for the big company cross-overs, never bought another issue.

Well, almost never.

Every once in a while, I cracked. This particular story arc, with Kyle traveling to a few other DC locales to seek mentoring advice from the likes of Alan Scott, Batman, Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman, caught my interest. It was rather a nice little tale, I liked the art, and I rather dug this cover, with GL's flight crossing the Bat-Signal.

Cover by Paul Pelletier and Romeo Tanghal.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Everytime I see that "Hand of Fate" title, my mind sticks "Manos" in front of it.
  • Options

Following the events of the Crisis On Infinite Earths, the JSA was trapped forever (we thought then) in limbo, fighting an eternal battle against the Ragnarok. But the fans just wouldn't allow the team to fade away. So DC brought them back in a mini-series that takes place roughly after their retirement, and features the roll call of that period. In classic tradition, the first few issues feature solo chapters of each member, followed by teaming up into pairs, and finally the whole team together. It was just like old times again.

Cover by Tom Lyle.

I thought this was a pretty good series, particularly the bits with Starman, which came up again in the James Robinson Starman series. But the ongoing series that spun out of this mini was fantastic. It did sputter out a bit towards the end, but I thoroughly enjoyed it while it lasted, and the artwork by Mike Parobeck was some of my favorite work in any comic of the time.

And as much as I like Ty Templeton, it was Parobeck’s, and to a lesser extent, Rick Burchett’s work on the Batman Adventures comic that really elevated the title to another level—for me anyway.

• Options
    Speaking of Templeton and Parobeck, did anyone pick up the Superman & Batman Magazine that came out in ’93–94? They both did a lot of work for it, and it featured original stories in the Batman Adventures style, but included other DC heroes like the Atom and Captain Marvel. I got the first few issues, but then it became harder to find, and I missed the last three or four. Good stuff though.

Cover by Templeton.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

This one was drawn by Frank Giusto, who started doing freelance work for Ace in 1951.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Everytime I see that "Hand of Fate" title, my mind sticks "Manos" in front of it.

I am Torgo!
  • Options
    The MST3K Torgo’s Pizza gag from the “Manos: Hand of Fate” episode was referenced multiple times in Peter David’s run of Young Justice:

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
  • Options

Cover by Tom Lyle.

I thought this was a pretty good series, particularly the bits with Starman, which came up again in the James Robinson Starman series. But the ongoing series that spun out of this mini was fantastic. It did sputter out a bit towards the end, but I thoroughly enjoyed it while it lasted, and the artwork by Mike Parobeck was some of my favorite work in any comic of the time.

And as much as I like Ty Templeton, it was Parobeck’s, and to a lesser extent, Rick Burchett’s work on the Batman Adventures comic that really elevated the title to another level—for me anyway.

Oh, very much agreed about Mike Parobeck; he excelled on both series, especially on Batman Adventures. In fact, I was intending to post some of his covers from both that Justice Society series and Batman Adventures within the next few days, but... you beat me to them.