Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Another from Thought Bubble
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Phil Winslade

Based on one image in an issue of Howard the Duck. Nevada is a entertaining story about a Las Vegas Showgirl,her pet ostrich and a villainous lamp.
  • dubbat138 said:

Phil Winslade

Based on one image in an issue of Howard the Duck. Nevada is a entertaining story about a Las Vegas Showgirl,her pet ostrich and a villainous lamp.

I couldn’t get into this one. I read the first issue, and left it at that. I like Winslade’s art well enough, and he did some nice covers for this series, but I run hot and cold with Gerber’s writing, and this one left me cold.
  • dubbat138 said:

Phil Winslade

I couldn’t get into this one. I read the first issue, and left it at that. I like Winslade’s art well enough, and he did some nice covers for this series, but I run hot and cold with Gerber’s writing, and this one left me cold.
    For my part, I've seldom been disappointed by a Gerber series. (Void Indigo being the only one I can think of, offhand.) I had to pass this by at the time for reasons unrelated to the book; I'll have to put this on my list of Books To Hunt For In The Future.

dubbat138 said:

Phil Winslade

So far there has been nothing that Gerber wrote that I haven't enjoyed. Void Indigo is my least favorite from him. But I think it is more cause it never got a ending. Sludge was also just average. But even average Gerber work is much better than half the over praised writers today.

Val Mayerik

I was about 8 when this came out. My favorite uncle bought it for me. Reading it back then it went way over my head. Years later I got the issues of the series and am still mad it never got a ending.
  • Talk on another thread reminded me of another excellent Vertigo series, Terminal City. The first mini-series was great, the second merely very good, but both are definitely worth the time if only for the early artwork of Michael Lark and the covers by Mark Chiarello (Motter and Matt Wagner also did some covers for the first mini-series).

• Void Indigo never got an ending because Marvel pulled the plug on it almost immediately. As I recall the story, the level of graphic violence in the story (years ahead of its time) was completely unexpected by the higher-ups in the company and it got yanked in anticipation of an outcry. I'll have to see if I can find the background story on this for clarification, and make sure I'm remembering this correctly, but I'm pretty sure that was the reason.
  • But Dean Motter is, of course, better known for his earlier creation, Mister X. I haven’t read much of the later Mister X material, but the early stuff is pretty darn good and the series boasts a roster of excellent artists, including Paul Rivoche and Los Hernandez Bros.

Void Indigo never got an ending because Marvel pulled the plug on it almost immediately. As I recall the story, the level of graphic violence in the story (years ahead of its time) was completely unexpected by the higher-ups in the company and it got yanked in anticipation of an outcry. I'll have to see if I can find the background story on this for clarification, and make sure I'm remembering this correctly, but I'm pretty sure that was the reason.

Yeah see what I have heard is comic shop owners complained about the violence in it. I know there was a many month long gap between the two published issues.

Alex Jay
    Bruce Jensen

This was a decent adaptation of one of the classics of the cyberpunk genre.
  • dubbat138 said:

Void Indigo never got an ending because Marvel pulled the plug on it almost immediately. As I recall the story, the level of graphic violence in the story (years ahead of its time) was completely unexpected by the higher-ups in the company and it got yanked in anticipation of an outcry. I'll have to see if I can find the background story on this for clarification, and make sure I'm remembering this correctly, but I'm pretty sure that was the reason.

Yeah see what I have heard is comic shop owners complained about the violence in it. I know there was a many month long gap between the two published issues.
    There was also the original graphic novel which started the storyline.

There was a lot of negative criticism in the fan press of the books when they first came out, with one columnist decrying it as a 'crime against humanity'. And, apparently, the sales for the second issue nosedived like a cliffjumper without a 'chute.

dubbat138 said:

There was also the original graphic novel which started the storyline.

There was a lot of negative criticism in the fan press of the books when they first came out, with one columnist decrying it as a 'crime against humanity'. And, apparently, the sales for the second issue nosedived like a cliffjumper without a 'chute.

Yeah I got the OGN when I was about 8. My Uncle picked it up for me.

Jay Allen Sanford

Not a great cover. But it's The Ramones so I bought it.
    edited November 2012
    Caliban said:

another Thought Bubble purchase

Ok gotta ask what is Thought Bubble?

Plus I love the Ditko cover. I wish he had stayed longer on Spidey. But understand the rumored reason why he left.
  • dubbat138 said:

Caliban said:

another Thought Bubble purchase

Ok gotta ask what is Thought Bubble?

Plus I love the Ditko cover. I wish he had stayed longer on Spidey. But understand the rumored reason why he left.
    Thought Bubble is a comic convention in Leeds, England. I've never attended (I’ve never been to any show outside of the US, unfortunately), but it looks pretty cool. @Caliban can correct me if I’m wrong, but it appears to be based more on the European model, where it’s more of a festival with seminars and such, and much more focused on the artists and their work than the typical US con.
  • Today’s entry from the stack is Leading Screen Comics #54, Apr.–May 1952. The book began simply as Leading Comics, a quarterly, in Winter 1941–42, and featured the exploits of the Seven Soldiers of Victory until issue #15 when it switched gears and became a funny animal book. The word “Screen” was superimposed over “Comics” in the masthead starting with issue #34, but the title wasn’t officially changed until issue #42. Peter Porkchops, created by Otto Feuer, became the cover feature with issue #23, taking over from Nero Fox—a play on the great detective Nero Wolfe, I assume—and remained the lead until the title ended in 1955 with issue #77. It appears Otto Feuer was PP’s artist for its entire run.

Peter Porkchops proved popular enough to get his own series, which outlasted Leading Screen Comics by five years, though some of those stories were drawn by Rube Grossman rather than Feuer. Peter, of course, was brought back in 1982 as the alter ego of Pig Iron, one of Captain Carrot’s Zoo Crew.

Feuer started out as an animator for Fleisher Studios in the ’30 and early ’40s before becoming one of DC’s main funny animal artists. In 1955 he started his own animation studio, Animotion Associates, which mainly produced TV commercials, but he continued to draw his creation in the pages of Peter Porkchops for five more years until the series was cancelled. He ended his career as an animator for Filmation, where he worked on such shows as The Superman/Aquaman Hour, The Batman/Superman Hour, The New Adventures of Batman, Star Trek, Fat Albert, and Jabberjaw.

Cover art by Otto Feuer.

This issue also has a funny Doodle Duck story by Shelly Mayer. Bonus!
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @Caliban : that picture is AWESOME B-)

and I also love this:
    Photobucket

got it on my wishlist
    Caliban said:

@dubbat138 @nweathington is correct Thought Bubble is a week long comics festival in the north of England, which then culminates in a more traditional two day comic convention on the Saturday/Sunday.
    The festival includes academic sessions run by Comics Forum, there's a film festival, and there's lots of work goes on in local libraries with kids. There was also the rather cool Mondo exhibition by Olly Moss with some very nice posters.

The two day convention is more small press orientated than a show like the London Super Comic-con. There were big queues for people like Mark Waid, but even bigger lines for Kate Beaton and Alison Bechdel. But there's still lots of mainstream comics and cosplay going on.

It was all rather good fun, although I did run into a little trouble with The Law.

Sounds like fun.
    @John_Steed
    Yup, and they managed to line up my prison nickname right over my head.

http://ollymoss.com/galleries/posters
    Gary Leach on the cover of A1

Matt Wagner

Love Grendal and been a fan of Matt Wagner since around the time the original Mage series ended.

Joe Kubert

Unknown Solider is my favorite of all the DC war titles. I wish a second volume of the Dc Showcase presents would come out.
  • dubbat138 said:

Joe Kubert

Unknown Solider is my favorite of all the DC war titles. I wish a second volume of the Dc Showcase presents would come out.

Mine too, but I liked it better when it was still called Star Spangled War Comics. Mostly because it featured my favorite war series, “Enemy Ace.”

But also because it featured my second favorite war series, “The Unknown Soldier.” Star Spangled War Stories was retitled The Unknown Soldier with issue #205, cover-dated April-Man 1977.

And, of course, how could you not love “The War That Time Forgot”?

It was also the home of “Mlle. Marie.” But the title was at its peak from 1965–1975 or so.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

What's the story on the blurb change from Toth to Adams/Kubert?