Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Caliban said:

Jon j Muth

Great title!
  • Caliban said:

Jon j Muth

I believe Moonshadow was the first fully painted American comic book series. I missed out on the original series, but Epic’s 1989 trade paperback collection was one of the first trades I ever bought, long before Vertigo reprinted the series. A great story.

I got it because I loved J.M. DeMatteis’ work on Dr. Fate—and the painted artwork was appealing as well—and I wasn’t disappointed. It might be just a little heavy-handed in a couple of spots, but that didn’t really affect the emotional weight of the book. And I think that’s where DeMatteis’ strength as a writer lies, in his ability to express the emotions of his characters in both subtle and grand ways. Muth’s (and to a lesser extent Kent Williams’) artwork was a perfect match in that regard. Muth is a very expressive artist, and he matched DeMatteis’ writing tone for tone.

I have to say, though, that I was mildly disappointed in the Farewell, Moonshadow one-shot that came out through Vertigo a few years later. It was a nice story and beautiful to look at, but it didn’t quite pack the same emotional punch.

• I tried it, I didn't like it. If anything, I found the first issue to be pretentious... as I generally do most of DeMatteis' writing. I've been trying to recall if there were any earlier painted comics, but none come to mind, so you may be correct about this being the first one.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,746
    edited December 2012

I tried it, I didn't like it. If anything, I found the first issue to be pretentious... as I generally do most of DeMatteis' writing. I've been trying to recall if there were any earlier painted comics, but none come to mind, so you may be correct about this being the first one.

Yeah, I didn’t expect you to have liked it. To each his own.

I did a little searching and came across a painted series, though a much shorter series, that came out before Moonshadow: 1983’s Silverheels, which was painted by my fellow-North Carolinian Scott Hampton and published by Pacific.

• dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Howard Chaykin

Fun series,that I am betting is cheap to find.
  • dubbat138 said:

Howard Chaykin

I actually liked the Mike Grell/Marty Pasko/Rick Burchett series that followed on the heels of Chaykin’s mini-series more. It began as part of the Action Comics Weekly anthology, and the next year spun out into an ongoing. It kept the more mature tone Chaykin brought to the story—not to mention the new names of the characters and reverting Blackhawk back to being an actual Pole rather than a Polish-American—but was a little more light-hearted.

Cover by George Pratt.

• CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
  • Caliban said:

Kevin O'Neill

I wonder if the cover design was perhaps inspired by Britain’s Comic Cuts, a weekly comic which ran from 1890-1953, or its forerunner Scraps, which ran from 1883-1910 when it changed names. I find it highly likely, but I don’t recall it ever being discussed in the interviews with Moore or O’Neill I’ve read.

dubbat138 said:

Howard Chaykin

I actually liked the Mike Grell/Marty Pasko/Rick Burchett series that followed on the heels of Chaykin’s mini-series more. It began as part of the Action Comics Weekly anthology, and the next year spun out into an ongoing. It kept the more mature tone Chaykin brought to the story—not to mention the new names of the characters and reverting Blackhawk back to being an actual Pole rather than a Polish-American—but was a little more light-hearted.

Cover by George Pratt.

That is a run I own most of but still haven't read. Chaykin's mini was more fun than I originally expected. But I think it was some of the first stuff by him I read. Outside of American Flagg maybe.

John Cleary

Here's an early Image stinker I never see mentioned. Got the issue in a lot of 10lbs of random comics. Isn't even worth the 5 cents I paid for it. Seem to remember Cleary's artwork looking much better when he did part of the "Satan's Six" in Topp's Kirbyverse.

• dubbat138 said:

John Cleary

Here's an early Image stinker I never see mentioned. Got the issue in a lot of 10lbs of random comics. Isn't even worth the 5 cents I paid for it. Seem to remember Cleary's artwork looking much better when he did part of the "Satan's Six" in Topp's Kirbyverse.

It's never mentioned for a reason. Look up the word “boof” in the urban dictionary and you'll see that the book was aptly named. I don't think the shop I was working at sold more than two or three copies of each issue (though we probably sold a few more of #1).

John Cleary, by the way, is now a toy sculptor, where he mostly designs figures. He's done work for McFarlane Toys, as you might guess from his artwork, but he started out sculpting at Bowen in 2005.
  • I remember seeing the book pass through Diamond, skimmed a copy or two, and could never figure out what the appeal would be, or to whom it would appeal. On the other hand, I never understood Ren & Stimpy either, so I figured it was going to that crowd. I do remember the numbers were never very big.
  • I remember seeing the book pass through Diamond, skimmed a copy or two, and could never figure out what the appeal would be, or to whom it would appeal. On the other hand, I never understood Ren & Stimpy either, so I figured it was going to that crowd. I do remember the numbers were never very big.

Those initial few episodes of Ren & Stimpy were freaking brilliant. Through its second season, though, the show gradually lost its appeal to me, and once Spumco was kicked off the show and Games Animation was brought in to produce the third season, I stopped watching it.

But at the same time Boof launched, Image was doing a spin-off title, Boof and his Bruise Crew, which was definitely aimed at kids. I never read it, but like the main title, it was written by Beau Smith. I can only think that Image was trying to expand its audience.

Those initial few episodes of Ren & Stimpy were freaking brilliant. Through its second season, though, the show gradually lost its appeal to me, and once Spumco was kicked off the show and Games Animation was brought in to produce the third season, I stopped watching it.

But at the same time Boof launched, Image was doing a spin-off title, Boof and his Bruise Crew, which was definitely aimed at kids. I never read it, but like the main title, it was written by Beau Smith. I can only think that Image was trying to expand its audience.
    I couldn't stand to even look at Ren & Stimpy because I thought the art style to be very ugly and unappealing, and the gross-out humor didn't do anything to win me over either. Apparently I was alone in that judgment, as the show was very, very popular. Like I said, I could never figure it out.

Conversely -- or perhaps, perversely -- I did buy the Marvel comic, largely on the basis that the artist was Mike Kazaleh, who I knew and whose work I generally loved. The book's humor was still pretty much on the same lines as the TV show, but somehow Mike made it more palatable to me.

(The first issue was bagged; Ren's word bubble, carefully hidden by the blurb on the bag, reads: "You eediot! You opened the bag! Now it's WORTHLESS!!")

(The subsequent 2nd and 3rd printings replaced his dialogue with "You eediot! It's a second (third, etc) printing! It's WORTHLESS!!")

Scott Hampton

I know I got ever issue,but they are in the unread pile.

dubbat138 said:

John Cleary

It's never mentioned for a reason. Look up the word “boof” in the urban dictionary and you'll see that the book was aptly named. I don't think the shop I was working at sold more than two or three copies of each issue (though we probably sold a few more of #1).

John Cleary, by the way, is now a toy sculptor, where he mostly designs figures. He's done work for McFarlane Toys, as you might guess from his artwork, but he started out sculpting at Bowen in 2005.
    Seems Boof and Boof and the bruise crew both lasted 6 issues. Each issue being shipped with two different covers. Might have to get them all and make a nice bond edition of Boof.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Over the next few years, Cap would clash / team-up with the Man Of Steel in a handful of adventures, including this DC Comics Presents Annual by Roy Thomas and Gil Kane. Kane did a spectacular cover for this particular encounter.

I had this issue! Oh the joy that comes back from frm just seeing a long forgotten cover! Thank you! That is excellent.

I couldn't stand to even look at Ren & Stimpy because I thought the art style to be very ugly and unappealing, and the gross-out humor didn't do anything to win me over either. Apparently I was alone in that judgment, as the show was very, very popular. Like I said, I could never figure it out.

Conversely -- or perhaps, perversely -- I did buy the Marvel comic, largely on the basis that the artist was Mike Kazaleh, who I knew and whose work I generally loved. The book's humor was still pretty much on the same lines as the TV show, but somehow Mike made it more palatable to me.

(The first issue was bagged; Ren's word bubble, carefully hidden by the blurb on the bag, reads: "You eediot! You opened the bag! Now it's WORTHLESS!!")

(The subsequent 2nd and 3rd printings replaced his dialogue with "You eediot! It's a second (third, etc) printing! It's WORTHLESS!!")
    The gross-out gags weren’t what I enjoyed about the show. In fact, once that seemed to become the primary focus with Games Animation’s take, that was when I lost interest completely. But in those first six or seven episodes especially, there was some genuine satire that was brilliantly done. I understand John Kricfalusi’s work isn’t for everyone, but his designs aren’t intended to be aesthetically beautiful. For John K, it’s not so much about the designs, but what you can do with the designs. It’s all about pushing poses to their extremes and getting the most expression possible out of every drawing. But enough about animation—back to the comics.

I think I bought the first issue—written by Dan Slott (!)—but that was it. It didn’t really do anything for me. The art and writing were both fine, but they didn’t capture what I enjoyed so much about those first few episodes, and by that point I was beginning to lose interest in the show as well, so I didn’t pick it up again.
  • dubbat138 said:

Scott Hampton

@dubbat138, I don't know if you've ever read it or not, but I think you would really enjoy Scott Hampton’s “The Upturned Stone,” which originally ran in Heavy Metal vol. 17, #4.

Cover by Oscar Chichoni.

It’s also been reprinted at least once as a standalone.

• random73 said:

Over the next few years, Cap would clash / team-up with the Man Of Steel in a handful of adventures, including this DC Comics Presents Annual by Roy Thomas and Gil Kane. Kane did a spectacular cover for this particular encounter.

I had this issue! Oh the joy that comes back from frm just seeing a long forgotten cover! Thank you! That is excellent.
    You may take further joy from knowing that this issue, and several other team-ups between the Man of Steel and the Big Red Cheese, have been collected and will be hitting the shops very soon. Sometime next month, I think.
  • I think I bought the first issue—written by Dan Slott (!)—but that was it. It didn’t really do anything for me. The art and writing were both fine, but they didn’t capture what I enjoyed so much about those first few episodes, and by that point I was beginning to lose interest in the show as well, so I didn’t pick it up again.

It did a lot for Mike, though. After having worked in comics and animation for a couple of decades, he said this was the first job that actually made him enough money to buy a new car. Not a used car; a new car.
  • I think I bought the first issue—written by Dan Slott (!)—but that was it. It didn’t really do anything for me. The art and writing were both fine, but they didn’t capture what I enjoyed so much about those first few episodes, and by that point I was beginning to lose interest in the show as well, so I didn’t pick it up again.

It did a lot for Mike, though. After having worked in comics and animation for a couple of decades, he said this was the first job that actually made him enough money to buy a new car. Not a used car; a new car.
    Ah, the early ’90s. When the royalties flowed like water.

We sold quite a few copies of the first issue—not X-Men numbers, obviously, but respectable. It dropped off fairly quickly, but I’m glad he was able to get a good paycheck while it lasted.

dubbat138 said:

Scott Hampton

@dubbat138, I don't know if you've ever read it or not, but I think you would really enjoy Scott Hampton’s “The Upturned Stone,” which originally ran in Heavy Metal vol. 17, #4.

Cover by Oscar Chichoni.

I have that reprint,still haven't read it. But found it cheap and had heard good stuff about it.

• dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Scott Hampton

Cover by Oscar Chichoni.

I have that reprint,still haven't read it. But found it cheap and had heard good stuff about it.

I figured you might have it already. Consider moving it up your to-read list. I really do think you'll enjoy it.

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Scott Hampton

Cover by Oscar Chichoni.

I figured you might have it already. Consider moving it up your to-read list. I really do think you'll enjoy it.
    Yeah I need to dig it out. I know it got packed away into the closet when I moved over 5 years ago. I want to say I got it in the mid to late 90s at a comic shop that was closing. At one time Biloxi had like 8 comic shops.
    Dave Gibbons
    Wild Dog!
    and Ed Hannigan from feb 1976

John Beatty
    Mike Zeck

This came out after I had been reading Cap for about 2 years. Still one of my favorite annuals.