Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    David Mazzucchelli
  • Options
    Caliban said:

David Mazzucchelli

Outside of perhaps the “Born Again” storyline in Daredevil, this is my favorite thing Miller has written, thanks in no small part to Mazzucchelli’s contributions. Here's some less seen Mazzucchelli:

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Caliban said:

David Mazzucchelli

Outside of perhaps the “Born Again” storyline in Daredevil, this is my favorite thing Miller has written, thanks in no small part to Mazzucchelli’s contributions.
    I will always hate that Miller retconned Selina Kyle into a prostitute and Jim Gordon into a philanderer.

And that DC perpetuated those retcons.

Mazzucchelli's art is simply brilliant, however.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Caliban said:

David Mazzucchelli

Outside of perhaps the “Born Again” storyline in Daredevil, this is my favorite thing Miller has written, thanks in no small part to Mazzucchelli’s contributions.
    I will always hate that Miller retconned Selina Kyle into a prostitute and Jim Gordon into a philanderer.

And that DC perpetuated those retcons.

Mazzucchelli's art is simply brilliant, however.
    I wouldn't say I hate the Selina/prostitute change, but I'm not a fan of it either. I don't mind the Gordon having an affair addition though. As much as Miller built him up in terms of his competence and his integrity in the face of a corrupt police force, he needed to give him a flaw as well, and the affair made sense in the context of the story.
  • Options
  • Options
    Klaus Janson & Gil Kane
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Still have never read a Man-Thing comic to this day. Must change that soon.
  • Options

If you do, I strongly recommend the Essential Man-Thing. It's in black and white, but both volumes are affordable and collect the entire original two series, which includes the entire, memorable Steve Gerber run (lacking only the recent and somewhat lesser Gerber collaboration with Kevin Nowlan).

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

If you do, I strongly recommend the Essential Man-Thing. It's in black and white, but both volumes are affordable and collect the entire original two series, which includes the entire, memorable Steve Gerber run (lacking only the recent and somewhat lesser Gerber collaboration with Kevin Nowlan).

Yes those are great collections. My youngest son X-mas of 2011 sat down and read the first volume in like 6 hours. He loved it. So for his next birthday I got him both volumes. His Mom told me when they got to the house. He rushed through his homework and then started reading the second volume. She said he didn't want to eat dinner or do anything but read Man thing Essential vol 2.
  • Options
    Frank Giacoia and Marie Severin
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,742
    edited January 2013
    More trouble in the wax museum:

Cover by Curt Swan and Stan Kaye.

Cover by Carmine Infantino and Joe Giella.

Cover by Jack Kirby.
  • Options
    Zander Cannon and Benedict Dimagmaliw
  • Options
    Caliban said:

Zander Cannon and Benedict Dimagmaliw

For all the wonderful comic book work Frazetta did, his book covers probably have the bigger influence on today’s creators. The Frazetta painting that inspired the Smax cover, and a few more interesting Frazetta homages:

Frazetta before:

Eric Powell after:

Frazetta before:

Tony Moore after:

Frazetta before:

Sam Kieth after:

Frazetta before:

Bissette and Totleben after:

• Options
    quite some homages indeed.....

• Options
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

John Bryne

Actually, the cover is by Ed Hannigan. And John Byrne, who inked it.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    @Chuck_Melville : in lack of a smartass icon : :-B

:D
  • Options

Just acknowledging credit where it's due. Mr Hannigan has done his fair share of eye-catching covers, and it's only fair to note his name as well when one turns up.

Especially as his signature is on the cover.
  • Options
  • Options

Just acknowledging credit where it's due. Mr Hannigan has done his fair share of eye-catching covers, and it's only fair to note his name as well when one turns up.

Especially as his signature is on the cover.
    Yeah I noticed his sig after I posted it.
  • Options
    Anybody remember the Rocketman: King of the Rocket Men mini-series from Innovation that was based on the 1949 Republic serial? I think it was Chris (Iron Empires) Moeller’s first professional work, and it was very good. Much better than the movie serial, which isn’t saying a whole lot, I know, but it was a fun, fast-paced adventure story, and Moeller’s fully painted interiors were very nice even then. Outside of maybe Maze Agency, it was probably the best book Innovation published.

• Options

Anybody remember the Rocketman: King of the Rocket Men mini-series from Innovation that was based on the 1949 Republic serial? I think it was Chris (Iron Empires) Moeller’s first professional work, and it was very good. Much better than the movie serial, which isn’t saying a whole lot, I know, but it was a fun, fast-paced adventure story, and Moeller’s fully painted interiors were very nice even then. Outside of maybe Maze Agency, it was probably the best book Innovation published.

I remember it. And am pretty sure I own it. But don't remember much about it.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    dubbat138 said:

I remember it. And am pretty sure I own it. But don't remember much about it.
    It's your basic evil genius plots to take over the world, starts killing of Earth's greatest scientists, one scientist creates a rocket pack, and another scientist wears it to stop the evil genius type of story. It stays pretty close to the movie serial from what I remember, but it boils the 12-part serial down into four issues, so the pacing is a bit different and the story is streamlined a bit.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    No cover artist listed on comicbookdb but looks like Gil Kane to me
  • Options
    Caliban said:

No cover artist listed on comicbookdb but looks like Gil Kane to me

Yep. Kane inked by Tom Palmer. Very nice cover.
  • Options
  • Options
    Caliban said:

Thanks, @nweathington

Dave McKean

A great cover for one of the best comics Neil ever wrote. I wish the entire series would get reprinted so more people can read it. I am lucky in that I managed to get a complete run for a decent price.
  • Options
    2000AD cover of the year 2012 as voted by the 2000AD forums

Moonshot by D'Israeli

• Options
    More Dave McKean