Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Walt Simonson posted this on Facebook today.
    Don Spaulding
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Walt Simonson posted this on Facebook today.
    Don Spaulding

Hmm, I don't remember seeing that post. I like it though!
  • Options

Caliban said:

More Frank Miller

I think we should be giving inker Klaus Janson (for it's obviously his inking on these covers) partial credit here. Miller gives us the brilliance of his raw talent and his equally raw images, but it was Janson who did the finishes and took the burr off of the roughness of Miller's pencils.
    Very true. Especially towards the end of their run on Daredevil, Miller was often only providing breakdowns rather than finished pencils. It wasn't unusual for Janson to fix a proportion, change the tilt of a head, etc., with his inks.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Miller and Klaus Janson
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    P. Craig Russell

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

P. Craig Russell

Some of Craig’s earliest professional work, and pretty good stuff. Not long after he wrapped up on “Killraven,” he began his opera adaptations and Elric adaptations in Star*Reach. I'm actually designing a Star*Reach Companion book at the moment. There was some really good work in that series.

• Options
    There is actually a hardcover collection of Russell's opera adaptations; I gave a copy to a friend for Christmas a couple of years ago. A quick peek into Amazon reveals there are, in fact, three volumes thus far. "The P. Craig Russell Library of Opera Adaptations".

• Options
    And it all started with the first part of “Parsifal” in Star*Reach #8 way back in 1977. By the way, he’s currently working on an adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book, a fantastic children’s novel.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

P. Craig Russell

Some of Craig’s earliest professional work, and pretty good stuff. Not long after he wrapped up on “Killraven,” he began his opera adaptations and Elric adaptations in Star*Reach. I'm actually designing a Star*Reach Companion book at the moment. There was some really good work in that series.

What I have read from Star Reach was fun. Killraven I never read until sometime in 2008 when I grabbed the Essential and read it over a week at work.

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited December 2012
    I don't think it was ever reprinted, but among Russell's earliest work was a revival of Ant-Man in the early 70's, in, I think, Marvel Premiere, where the Pyms were stuck at insect size and lost in their back yard. Only ran about a half-dozen issues, I think, and written by Mike Friedrich (who would later become the publisher of Star*Reach).
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited December 2012
    My error -- it was in Marvel Feature, not Marvel Premiere. Herb Trimpe drew the first couple of issues, and Russell, one of the new kids at the time, drew all but one issue of the rest of the short run. (That one issue was a reprint of the original Hank Pym story by Lee and Kirby.) Here's the cover to the first issue Russell drew (cover by Gil Kane).

And here's the cover to the last issue featuring Ant-Man, the only cover drawn by Russell. (Looks like some touch-up by John Romita Sr.)

• Options
    'Tis the season
    Brett Ewins from 1987
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,745
    edited December 2012

My error -- it was in Marvel Feature, not Marvel Premiere. Herb Trimpe drew the first couple of issues, and Russell, one of the new kids at the time, drew all but one issue of the rest of the short run. (That one issue was a reprint of the original Hank Pym story by Lee and Kirby.) Here's the cover to the first issue Russell drew (cover by Gil Kane).

And here's the cover to the last issue featuring Ant-Man, the only cover drawn by Russell. (Looks like some touch-up by John Romita Sr.)

“Ant-Man” was his first full story work. He had penciled a handful of short stories and back-ups prior to that. His first published work was a six-pager for Chamber of Chills #1, inked by Dan Adkins.

Cover by Gil Kane and Tom Palmer.
  • Options

“Ant-Man” was his first full story work. He had penciled a handful of short stories and back-ups prior to that. His first published work was a six-pager for Chamber of Chills #1, inked by Dan Adkins.

Cover by Gil Kane and Tom Palmer.

Right. I remember, too, that he and Val Mayerik and Dan Adkins had assisted Barry Windsor-Smith on a couple of issues of Conan around that period as well.
  • Options

Adi Granov

Just started reading this yesterday. Was kind of worried when I saw that four pencilers worked on it. But I do like how the team splits up and each hero get's their own chapter. Kind of like the old Golden age JSA stories.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,745
    edited December 2012
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

P. Craig Russell

What I have read from Star Reach was fun. Killraven I never read until sometime in 2008 when I grabbed the Essential and read it over a week at work.

Yeah, Star*Reach is where Howard Chaykin’s Cody Starbuck—the stepping stone between Iron Wolf and Dominic Fortune—first appeared. Plus, early art from Walt Simonson, Jim Starlin, Steve Leialoha, and Frank Brunner, among others.

Edit: You know, a lot of the Star*Reach covers had nudity.

• Options
    Here's one that doesn't:

Cover painted by Jeff Jones.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

This is the kind of forgettable generic cover that bores the pants off of me.

I don't care how well-illustrated it is, it gives me no clue about the story inside.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

dubbat138 said:

I don't care how well-illustrated it is, it gives me no clue about the story inside.
    It's what they call an iconic cover, one that spotlights the main character(s) in an image that could be used for a poster.

In general, I agree with you: I think a 'teaser' cover does much more to excite and entice the potential reader. However, I don't mind the occasional iconic cover. Just so long as they're only once-in-a-while.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

dubbat138 said:

Also the story is pretty generic. But then I am not a fan of Peter David. I know it was made to introduce new people to the Avengers. But IIRC the edition with the trade sold out in a day at most Walmarts. So I doubt many non comic fans got a copy. I might end up selling or trading the trade soon,cause I really doubt I will re-read it.

• Options

Gilbert Hernandez

I loved Yeah,got it mainly cause Peter Bagge was writing it. But it is a great all ages book that never got the attention it deserves. Sadly the trade is in b/w and this is a title where the color adds a bunch to the stories.
  • Options
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Guess little Dredd never got any presents from Santa?
  • Options

Dean Motter

This four issue series is as close as we are gonna get to a sequel to the classic British tv show. I like how they explained the ending of the TV show and all the little clues that are dropped in each issue.
  • Options
    Cliff Robinson
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Spirou's take on Santa:

Photobucket

and the back:

Photobucket

"Santa coming to the rescue" - just at the moment the parents shred the boys' wishlist due to bad grades was done by Arthur de Pins
  • Options

Guess little Dredd never got any presents from Santa?

It would explain so much.

• Options
    'Tis the season
    Simon Davis
  • Options
    hi!! i am new to this forum........ i have a web site http://www.echitrakata.com it is a effort to reinstate rare old vintage comics!!! hope you all will admire it :)