Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1575 Talkback - Marvel Triple Action with Power Man, Iron Fist, and Shang-Chi

2»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    JDick said:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but my LCS owner told me about it last week:

Master Of Kung Fu To Get Four Omnibuses In 2016!

Yes, @Brack broke the news near the top of this thread.
    Brack said:

It was announced a couple of weeks ago at Diamond Baltimore Retailer Summit that Shang Chi Omnibuses start in Summer 2016.

We all agree with you, it's great news!

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Shang-Chi: When I was in college, I saw the two issues of Marvel Special Edition at the Mom & Pop store near the USC campus. I grabbed them up and enjoyed then. After that, I didn't see an actual issue of the changed title Master of Kung Fu until I saw Shang Chi on the cover of #23 at the same store. I grabbed that up and kept buying new issues whenever I could find them. I loved the character and didn't mind the red "pajamas." I especially enjoyed the relationships between Shang and Nayland, Shang and Black Jack Tarr, and, of course, the one between Shang and Leiko Wu. I also had to respect Clive Reston in that love triangle that Chris mentioned. Funny, I don't remember much about the "fishing" part, but I haven't read the issues for awhile and I don't have the Gene Day issues anymore.

Iron Fist: I first ran into him in Marvel Premiere, I think I had a sprinkling of issues and then I didn't see any of his own series until I caught up to it in #15. He was cool, but I liked Shang Chi better.

Luke Cage, Power Man: Funny, but I don't have many issues with Cage in them. Unlike Uncle Sal, who said that he became a Luke Cage fan mostly because they were the comics that were left over when he finally got to the place he bought comics, I never really saw many Luke Cage comics on the stands or at the Mom & Pop store I usually shopped at. As for Murd's point about Luke Cage and African-American comics' fans, yeah I agree. I thought he was initially a bit stereotypical, but these days he's cool. In those days, I liked the Falcon a lot better. I did like that Azzarello/Corben Cage series, though.

Noise? Like another listener said above, I don't hear anything unusual or annoying, so I gotta wonder, what the heck are they hearing?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    alienal said:

Noise? Like another listener said above, I don't hear anything unusual or annoying, so I gotta wonder, what the heck are they hearing?

I generally listen to the podcast on my iPhone. Sometimes I use earbuds, but frequently I plug an audio cable from the earplugs port on the iPhone to my stereo in my car to listen to several podcasts. Frequently, and usually when Chris is speaking, there are loud mic pops when he uses a "p" or a "b".

Most other podcasts don't bear the same results.

I know a little about television broadcasting and video editing. Enough to know that there are several methods to reducing these pops. Some mics have a metal-mesh pop filter, others don't and it is recommended the user incorporate a pop filter or shield when recording made from nylon or wire mesh. Podcasters and sound pros vehemently debate the virtues of each.

These fun little screens keep Ps and Bs from sending painful air bursts at the mic that cause listeners to flee in panic.

The pops are there, but if you're listening on the computer or the phone's speaker, you may not notice it.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Sibilance, ssssssibilance.
  • Options
    I thought I was the only one hearing the cricket like some sort of Leftovers S2 crazy person! Huzzah, I'm not alone!

I'm actually somewhat surprised Marvel didn't just take the Yellow Claw character they already established and retroactively make that Shang Chi's dad.

And I still hear that cricket, so he's officially the CGS mascot now and not just a random appearance. :lol:

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

I can't be the only geek that got that reference.
    Tom Hanks rules!
  • Options
    rebis said:

Tom Hanks rules!
    I ran sound at a nightclub for a few months right out of college, and then I did corporate A/V work for five years. I always did that during mic checks. Too funny.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    rebis said:

Tom Hanks rules!
    I got it!
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I don't pretend to understand how a lot of these comic book deals and rights holder stuff works but if Marvel can now reprint Master Of Kung Fu for trades or Omnibuses do we expect that stuff to eventually show up on the Unlimited app now or should I just plan on pre-ordering the Omnibuses?
  • Options
    JDick said:

I don't pretend to understand how a lot of these comic book deals and rights holder stuff works but if Marvel can now reprint Master Of Kung Fu for trades or Omnibuses do we expect that stuff to eventually show up on the Unlimited app now or should I just plan on pre-ordering the Omnibuses?

Depends on the agreement. They might have only agreed on a one-time printing to keep the licensing fee down. But either way, I would avoid buying a digital copy unless it was a downloadable file, because as soon as the license expires, Marvel will have to take those files down.
  • Options

I would avoid buying a digital copy unless it was a downloadable file, because as soon as the license expires, Marvel will have to take those files down.

This is my biggest issue with digital purchases (itunes, movies, comics). You don't own them, you can't let a friend borrow them, you can't resell them if you don't like them. It's one more reason I prefer tangible assets.
  • Options

JDick said:

Depends on the agreement. They might have only agreed on a one-time printing to keep the licensing fee down. But either way, I would avoid buying a digital copy unless it was a downloadable file, because as soon as the license expires, Marvel will have to take those files down.
    Makes sense.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    There may be hope for ROM and the Micronauts.
  • Options

There may be hope for ROM and the Micronauts.

Well, ROM and Micronauts are currently under license by IDW. Because there are original Marvel characters in both series, IDW won't be able to reprint them without Marvel approval, but I wouldn't think that would be too difficult to arrange. I doubt Marvel/Disney will allow any of those characters to be used in new stories though, so the new series will have to be complete reboots.
  • Options
    Fantastic news on the Shang-Chi omnibuses..omnibi? I only have a handful of my old Gulacy MOKF's.

Thanks for another excellent Spotlight, guys -- my favorite shows as well! And as for the shorter format, I'll take my Spotlights any way I can get them. For some characters, a Triple Action format makes sense. I think whatever you think is the right format is the way to go. (Though the Defenders need at least a full episode! ha)

I think I'll have to post up some PM/IF/SChi covers over on the Cover a Day thread!
  • Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174
    Chris and Murd: Great episode! Lots of great information! I've only read a few of the issues mentioned but you've got me wanting to read more of them. :)
  • Options
    Possible bad news from Netflix for Iron Fist fans. He may only be getting a Netflix movie, and not his own series. It may be replaced by a Punisher series instead. And if I'm reading this article correctly, the Punisher will be replacing him in the Defenders mini series as well.

http://nerdist.com/is-the-punisher-getting-his-own-netflix-show-instead-of-iron-fist/
  • Options
    JohnnyWI said:

Possible bad news from Netflix for Iron Fist fans. He may only be getting a Netflix movie, and not his own series. It may be replaced by a Punisher series instead. And if I'm reading this article correctly, the Punisher will be replacing him in the Defenders mini series as well.

http://nerdist.com/is-the-punisher-getting-his-own-netflix-show-instead-of-iron-fist/

Saw this also. Will be very disappointing if true.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I was flipping through cbr and Marvel will be soliciting Master of Kung fu vol 1 next month. Looks like my dcbs is going to be big in January.