Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1586 Talkback - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Movie Review

13»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I don't think you have to be the offspring of a Jedi to be "force sensitive." Jedi and Sith are merely achieved via training.

Yoda says this of The Force:
    Yoda said:

Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Ben explains it pretty well in this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RySHDUU2juM

#BushesOfLove
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

I don't mind if it's too obvious. Sometimes the most obvious is also what makes the most sense. I like the idea that Luke had a daughter. I wouldn't mind if it turns out that Rey is in fact a Solo and is Kylo's younger sister but I think I like the connection being Luke's daughter just a bit more.

Makes most sense...but is the most boring angle. Jedi Knights weren't marrying, as far as we know not reproducing either. Luke seems like a traditionalist & would uphold the old ways.

And if he had a daughter, are we going to get "Luke's wife/love was murdered" bit?

M
    @Matt you are talking about the old Jedi ways and I think we saw in the prequels that their ways are partially the reason they were wiped out. If Luke followed the traditional Jedi ways, he more than likely would have killed Vader in Return of the Jedi. It was Luke's connection to Vader that drove him to spare his father. It was Vader's love for Padme that brought about the "New Hope" in Luke to begin with. I could see Luke not wanting to make the same mistakes as the old Jedi and fall in love. I could see him upholding certain things but at the same time invoking new traditions as well. Also, if Jedi don't reproduce, how are Jedi born? Did the midichorians just randomly fuse with unborn children? I like the idea of Rey being Luke's daughter and maybe if that's what they writers go with, we'll get some backstory about it in the next movie.
    Are we assuming all Jedi are offsprings of Jedi parent(s)? I always figured they were similar to mutants in the Marvel Universe. The odds of a mutant having mutant children are higher, but not a guarantee.

Sure Anakin had the Force & Luke has the Force, but is it cemented Leia has it too? In all the years since RoJ, Leia hasn't had even the basic of training? Now, Ben has the Force as we've seen, and it's definitely in the Skywalker bloodline, but I'm wondering if Leia truly has it.

I can see Luke not following every single tradition of the Jedi, but as the only Jedi Knight, I can see him spending his life focusing on the Force instead of a family; that too lead to the death of the Jedi.

I would be more accepting if Rey was an adopted daughter then biological daughter. If Luke is the father, he abandoned at least her because of Ben; possibly also her mother. It's just too 'convenient' for Rey to just be his daughter.

M
    Unfortunately I see Disney going for 'convenient'. The heavy handed rip off of Episode IV that Awakens was leads me to believe they will rely on the familiar and simple solution.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    shroud68 said:

Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

I don't mind if it's too obvious. Sometimes the most obvious is also what makes the most sense. I like the idea that Luke had a daughter. I wouldn't mind if it turns out that Rey is in fact a Solo and is Kylo's younger sister but I think I like the connection being Luke's daughter just a bit more.

Makes most sense...but is the most boring angle. Jedi Knights weren't marrying, as far as we know not reproducing either. Luke seems like a traditionalist & would uphold the old ways.

And if he had a daughter, are we going to get "Luke's wife/love was murdered" bit?

M
    @Matt you are talking about the old Jedi ways and I think we saw in the prequels that their ways are partially the reason they were wiped out. If Luke followed the traditional Jedi ways, he more than likely would have killed Vader in Return of the Jedi. It was Luke's connection to Vader that drove him to spare his father. It was Vader's love for Padme that brought about the "New Hope" in Luke to begin with. I could see Luke not wanting to make the same mistakes as the old Jedi and fall in love. I could see him upholding certain things but at the same time invoking new traditions as well. Also, if Jedi don't reproduce, how are Jedi born? Did the midichorians just randomly fuse with unborn children? I like the idea of Rey being Luke's daughter and maybe if that's what they writers go with, we'll get some backstory about it in the next movie.
    Are we assuming all Jedi are offsprings of Jedi parent(s)? I always figured they were similar to mutants in the Marvel Universe. The odds of a mutant having mutant children are higher, but not a guarantee.

Sure Anakin had the Force & Luke has the Force, but is it cemented Leia has it too? In all the years since RoJ, Leia hasn't had even the basic of training? Now, Ben has the Force as we've seen, and it's definitely in the Skywalker bloodline, but I'm wondering if Leia truly has it.

I can see Luke not following every single tradition of the Jedi, but as the only Jedi Knight, I can see him spending his life focusing on the Force instead of a family; that too lead to the death of the Jedi.

I would be more accepting if Rey was an adopted daughter then biological daughter. If Luke is the father, he abandoned at least her because of Ben; possibly also her mother. It's just too 'convenient' for Rey to just be his daughter.

M
    Unfortunately I see Disney going for 'convenient'. The heavy handed rip off of Episode IV that Awakens was leads me to believe they will rely on the familiar and simple solution.
    That's something that will bother me. In an interview during one of the seasons of Buffy:TVS, Joss Whedon talked something along the lines of denying what viewers really want to see. Then give it them, but with a twist.

That's why having Rey being an adopted (the abandoned) daughter for Luke would have some level of interest for me.

M