Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Comics Rebirth

Comments

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Well, I'll keep buying batman beyond... Bringing terry back is a good step in improving this book I'm already getting. I'm open to trying a new nightwing again and love he's finally back in blue. But not optimistic it'll be good or keep my interest long.
    I'll try justice league as always.
    Against my better judgement I doubt I'll be strong enough to withstand trying detective again with its original numbering.
    So really they might just get an extra $3-$6 from me that they haven't for a long while. for a couple months at least. Wish this "rebirth" was actually something more than just a tag line. Something to get excited about.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited March 2016
    Nothing that was announced really blew me away as far as creative teams go. I thought some new, big names would be involved but that wasn't to be. However, that doesn't change my hope that this overall initiative will move the DCU into a place I find a lot more interesting and worth reading.

• Options
    I'll be looking out for the reviews on Wonder Woman, probably pick it up in trade if I hear good things. I enjoyed the Azzerello/Chiang run and don't feel bad skipping what's come in between. I'll check flash out, but double shipped books just make me sad. I won't be able to afford it or keep up with it.

And I previously said I'd be checking out whatever Tom King was writing, but I should have said "except Batman", because I'll never read a Batman ongoing again. I can't handle more than the smallest of doses.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

And I previously said I'd be checking out whatever Tom King was writing, but I should have said "except Batman", because I'll never read a Batman ongoing again. I can't handle more than the smallest of doses.

I'm with you, but not because I can't take reading more Batman, but because I don't want to be reading a Batline-wide crossover story every six months. And because I don't like Finch’s artwork.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I haven't bought a regular DCU book for months now but I'll be giving these titles a chance when I pre-order(including the "rebirth #1" issues for each title):

Rebirth #1

Superman - I liked what Tomasi and Gleason did with Batman and Robin

Action Comics - I like Jurgens, Zircher is a solid artist, and Super-Lex has me interested...although Doomsday is a bit of an eye-roller.

Batman - Tom King is the selling point here but David Finch is a turn off for me. I'll give the book a shot and perhaps the story will be enough to keep me buying..despite the art.

...Honestly, the rest of it is pretty "meh" to me. I'm hoping to hear great things about the other books.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Here's the online version of DC's Previews catalog for June 2016. All the #REBIRTH solicits are here:

http://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/394096
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Trades alone gon' kill me this month:
    DC SuperHero Girls
    Titans: Earth One Vol. 2
    Injustice: Gods Among Us Year 4 Vol. 1
    DC Bombshells Vol. 2
    Daring New Adventures of Supergirl Vol. 1
    DC Elseworlds: Justice League Vol. 1
    Suicide Squad Vol. 4: The Janus Directive

Urgh... #FirstWorldProblems
  • Options
    DC Comics "Rebirth" seems to be doing a bit of social justice mission work as well. Super-man Is, "a comic that is set in Shanghai and whose main character is a 17-year old Chinese teen who finds himself with Superman’s powers."

Personally I don't think I'll be getting invested in a superhero comic set on the other side of the planet. But hey, something for everyone. Unfortunately, DC has already set themselves up for some ridicule.
  • Options

Personally I don't think I'll be getting invested in a superhero comic set on the other side of the planet. But hey, something for everyone. Unfortunately, DC has already set themselves up for some ridicule.

Well, I'm already invested in a superhero comic set in Africa, and that’s halfway to the other side of the planet, and I was thinking of trying this one out because I like Yang’s writing. I get their reasoning for the name choice, but it wasn't a good idea. I expected better.
  • Options

Well, I'm already invested in a superhero comic set in Africa, and that’s halfway to the other side of the planet, and I was thinking of trying this one out because I like Yang’s writing. I get their reasoning for the name choice, but it wasn't a good idea. I expected better.
    Why would you expect better at this point? DC hasn't exactly shown that they understand the nuance of diversity and have been stumbling through these issues for years now.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

Why would you expect better at this point? DC hasn't exactly shown that they understand the nuance of diversity and have been stumbling through these issues for years now.
    Exactly, remember the New 52...How many books with minority characters in the lead made it past issue 12....And how many of them were Bat-books?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I expect better from the writer of American Born Chinese and Shadow Hero. If DC insisted on the name, that's still somewhat on Yang for going along with it.
  • Options
    Early look at the back cover of the DC Previews catalog. I see two hourglasses: one featuring characters from a pre-"New 52" version of the Justice Society of America and the other including characters from an '80s-style Justice League of America, complete with a red-trunked Superman.

Exciting stuff, I must admit!
  • Options
    I would love, love, love to see the return of the original Justice Society!
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

Early look at the back cover of the DC Previews catalog. I see two hourglasses: one featuring characters from a pre-"New 52" version of the Justice Society of America and the other including characters from an '80s-style Justice League of America, complete with a red-trunked Superman.

Looks like the Time Trapper is back at work.
  • Options

There are clearly 2 more hourglasses on the right. One is obviously going to be New 52... What will the other one be?
  • Options

There are clearly 2 more hourglasses on the right. One is obviously going to be New 52... What will the other one be?

It's a wrap around cover, here is the front.

• Options
    So it's not clearly 2 others, but 1 broken.
  • Options
    Here's the complete picture.

• Options
    And now Gene has changed the new Superman’s name to Kenan Kong. His explanation behind the name change and the new name works for me.
  • Options

And now Gene has changed the new Superman’s name to Kenan Kong. His explanation behind the name change and the new name works for me.

Hmm. I appreciate his thoughtful explanation and the change, and I like the art and the suit, but I already have too many superhero books on my pull-list to add this. Hopefully it will find an audience.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    CBR apparently has some new (?) costume designs for DC's Rebirthiverse (I'm trademarking that right now! Wait, I can do that can't I?).

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I like Superman losing the collar but the boots aren't red anymore either? Just make the cape blue already..we know it's coming! you red-hating DC! ;)

The rest are nice too but Harley's militant look doesn't do it for me..I hope there is a good story explaining why she's dressed like a sandinista.
  • Options
    Anyone else put off by the fact that super duper new DC's Previews catalog lists items that were available to order LAST month on DCBS, but none of the items available to order THIS month on dcbservice?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    DCBS sent an email out about that. If you're a monthly shipper at any rate, you'd be getting that DC Catalog with your next month's shipment. Dippy I know, but the catalog *was* available online long prior to that.

I'm more concerned that if DC and Marvel both start printing their own catalogs along with Image (which I have to admit was a pretty cool insert)...it's gonna get messy with all these small catalogs...
  • Options
    My concern is that I am a monthly orderer, so the DC catalog is useless to me unless I hold my order until it arrives and then order immediately. By that time, I've already scoured the online solicits and actually have little use for it, other than the articles.

I agree, the Image insert was top shelf. As long as I'm still getting them all for .99 (Previews, Marvel, DC, and Image) I don't care how messy it gets :)
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Costumes are all ok/fine to bad. Though every one IS better than the nu52 versions by far imo.
    Actually I really love this ww.
    Batman is alright but the over designed gloves and belt kindve ruin it.
    Superman is at least a mild improvement over nu52.
    Robins look is dumb. Sorry. Maybe in an elseworlds book with b+r in the Middle Ages it could work?
    Superboy(?) simply awful.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Re: the new designs, Superman is a definite improvement, but why the gauntlets? I get why they made Wonder Woman look more like the movie design, but I preferred Cliff Chiang’s cleaner design. Batman is still ugly. What’s up with the bat head-shaped knee pads? They look idiotic. I like Aquaman’s pebbled shirt, but the fins are way too big and overbalance the design. The GL Cruz design is quite nice—easily the best of the bunch. Supersons are okay, except Robin is too bulky and bottom-heavy. He doesn’t look like he’d be able to be quick and acrobatic in that suit. I don't mind Superboy, but tattered jeans went out of style decades ago. Harley is slightly better than before, but still doesn't look like a Harley I want to read about. And Croc is overdone. I don't see anything really crocodilian about him anymore.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited May 2016
    There are spoilers out there for DC Universe: Rebirth #1 ... and HOLY CRAP(!!!), one of them is a mind-blower!

Read at our own peril:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/20/warning-dc-universe-rebirth-1-spoilers-leak-on-reddit-and-you-wont-believe-dc-comics-has-gone-there/
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

There are spoilers out there for DC Universe: Rebirth #1 ... and HOLY CRAP(!!!), one of them is a mind-blower!

Read at our own peril:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/20/warning-dc-universe-rebirth-1-spoilers-leak-on-reddit-and-you-wont-believe-dc-comics-has-gone-there/

The "Hating on DC" thread is about to explode.