Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

DC Comics Rebirth

Comments

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Must....resist.....clicking....must....RESIST.......
  • playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    As metacommentary it's actually pretty ingenious. But as storytelling, I'm dubious.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Ha! That'll teach you f*ckers not to buy into one of our event properties you all dismissed as silly and a quick cash grab!

The New DC. Don't Fuck With Us. :)
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868

There are spoilers out there for DC Universe: Rebirth #1 ... and HOLY CRAP(!!!), one of them is a mind-blower!

Read at our own peril:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/20/warning-dc-universe-rebirth-1-spoilers-leak-on-reddit-and-you-wont-believe-dc-comics-has-gone-there/

DC are beyond parody at this point.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    There's almost nothing worse than someone taking all the hard work of comics creative teams to create shocking event comics only to have them spoiled on the internet by BleedingCool or random Reddit posters. So now Geoff Johns has taken to USA Today to spoil the events of DC Comics Rebirth, I assume to try to get out ahead of what's already been spoiled elsewhere?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2016/05/23/exclusive-geoff-johns-dc-universe-rebirth/84767346/

There's almost nothing worse than someone taking all the hard work of comics creative teams to create shocking event comics only to have them spoiled on the internet by BleedingCool or random Reddit posters. So now Geoff Johns has taken to USA Today to spoil the events of DC Comics Rebirth, I assume to try to get out ahead of what's already been spoiled elsewhere?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2016/05/23/exclusive-geoff-johns-dc-universe-rebirth/84767346/

There really is nothing left to surprise anymore. I always bring up finding out Supergirl was dead in Crisis as the last time comics successfully shocked us, but another good example was back in the 90s when I picked up the first issue of Thunderbolts and the store owner said, quite firmly, "DO NOT read the last page until you get there."

Nowadays, both of those things would have been all over the net three months before they're even on the stands. Sure, it makes for more selective buying...but we lost something along the way...
  • luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    I'm not clicking!
    I'll let you all know how successful I have been on Wednesday evening/Thursday.
    Maybe sooner, as I just pre-ordered the digital version on Comixology, and thus get it at midnight on Tuesday night(?).
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    I've got 2 more days to avoid ReBirth news.

• TravisTravis Posts: 35
    There's a new comic shop in my town and their opening tonight to have a midnight sale for Rebirth. Plus some other sales an specials.
    1 more day, that's all I have to get through.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    Torchsong said:

...but another good example was back in the 90s when I picked up the first issue of Thunderbolts and the store owner said, quite firmly, "DO NOT read the last page until you get there."

Off topic, I know. but I will never, ever forget reading Thunderbolts #1.
    I got to the last page and my jaw dropped. It was brilliant.
    Hex said:

Torchsong said:

...but another good example was back in the 90s when I picked up the first issue of Thunderbolts and the store owner said, quite firmly, "DO NOT read the last page until you get there."

Off topic, I know. but I will never, ever forget reading Thunderbolts #1.
    I got to the last page and my jaw dropped. It was brilliant.
    The real awesome part was if you read the Hulk issue they showed up in before the actual series started you went in thinking these guys were the real deal...then you go back and read that Hulk issue again afterward. :)
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    Torchsong said:

The real awesome part was if you read the Hulk issue they showed up in before the actual series started you went in thinking these guys were the real deal...then you go back and read that Hulk issue again afterward. :)

That was exactly me.

I'm only picking up two of Marvel's titles and the occasional omni or trade. DC is looking better and better. Looking forward to reading Rebirth tomorrow.
    On the first page of DC Universe Rebirth it says to read two other issues. Is that really necessary?
    For those doing comixology the issues are Justice League #50 & Superman #52.

Also if you are a DC Editor popping in to see a fan reaction. Thanks guys you are already starting on a great footnote. That was sarcasm. Don't want you to misunderstand me.
    mwhitt80 said:

For those doing comixology the issues are Justice League #50 & Superman #52.

Also if you are a DC Editor popping in to see a fan reaction. Thanks guys you are already starting on a great footnote. That was sarcasm. Don't want you to misunderstand me.

Are those two issues part of stories that have been ongoing? Like for Justice League, isn't Darkseid War still going, or ending, with that issue? I've gotten most of the issues, as I've heard it's a good story. It'll take a couple days to read them all. Is there just one little thing/way in which that story leads into Rebirth? Is that too big of a spoiler for Darkseid War?
    I saw that too but I didn't feel like I had missed anything. I think it was more for people who are already reading those series. This comic probably would have spoiled something for them.
    edited May 2016
    I don't know. I don't read those books. I quit reading new DC after Azarello left wonder woman
    Im going to read them before ReBirth. I'll talk about it in the spoiler thread tonite after I get a chance to read them.
    edited May 2016
    I misunderstood the question. JL #50 Darkseid War part 10.
    So it gets even better I'm not reading Justice League and DC wants me to read part 10 of an ongoing story to understand ReBirth.
    Congratulations DC.
    Yep, I just figured that out, that Darkseid war is continuing or ending (don't care which) in JL #50.

So, then, I just now was googling '"darkseid war" rebirth' and the first part of an IGN article from today gave me just enough info that I feel comfortable with reading Rebirth without having read JL #50. I care less about Superman.

Thanks for your help!
  • derekwilcderekwilc Posts: 11
    I enjoyed Flashpoint. I thought the New 52 was a decent enough idea. I thought "deaging" the heroes 10 years or so was a good step. Sales initially were great for the New 52 - DC beat Marvel for what, a year or two? (or were close each month) Yet, for the same reasons the New 52 ended up, in my mind, being an abject failure, I'm afraid Rebirth will end up being the same.

I seem to recall Geoff Johns, Jim Lee, and Dan Didio saying that the New 52 would be a little brighter and a lot less grim than comics we'd gotten used to in the previous 25 years. Yet, the New 52 was darker, grimmer, and the heroes were not people you'd want to have a beer with. (exceptions, of course)

And DC also missed an opportunity to explore new, or more interesting, ways of telling stories. If you are going to reboot a universe, why not take chances on new ways to spin your tales, or new ways of presenting the books. Different formats. Different tie-ins.

Instead, what we got was simply more of the same. The Bat-books were the best selling, got pretty good creators, and became the backbone for the New 52 in terms of promotion/accolades. The Superman books because middling, "why can't we sell this guy" books, even though you wouldn't want to go to a movie with this version of Clark Kent (other than the Morrison run, which was pretty cool).

Then there were the books you looked at on the shelves and said, "these books may look somewhat interesting, but have no shot in hell of selling." Dr. Fate, Prez, Black Canary. And the thing is - they weren't even all that different, they were just offbeat.

I can only see, in the future, Rebirth being more of the same. The Bat-books will sell. There will be some interesting books in the middle (Flash and Green Lantern may do ok), and there will be some books which no one will buy.

Which is no different than what the New 52 became. Which was no different than the pre-Flashpoint universe.

I'm not sure what I would like to see from a "new storytelling" perspective, but I think DC is missing the boat again. I like the idea of twice monthly books (that's somewhat innovative), but my prediction, now, is that within the next two years, we'll see mediocre creative teams writing and drawing these books because the current teams won't be able to keep up.

I also notice that Jason Fabok isn't doing anything for Rebirth. (Unless I missed something.) Why? I'm sure there are other solid-to-very-good creators who are also on the sidelines for this "rebirth." I'm not sure why. It's like going to the playoffs and sitting your best starting pitcher.

Hopefully, I'm wrong. But I'm sure I'll be revisiting this post in five years, when DC's "Big Re-Bang" hits the stands.
    Read Justice League #50 part 10 of the Darkseid War during lunch. Quick notes no spoilers.

The page one recap caught me pretty easily. I didn't get everything thing going on, but it was enough information to make it through the issue without it being a confusing mess. So good on DC/JL's creative team. Not sure how it ties in, but it had an interesting ending. I might go back and finish picking up the JL trades from where I left off.
  • compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    edited May 2016
    I know it's a little late, but if anyone wants to hear what was discussed during the DC Retailer Roadshow regarding Rebirth, my co-owner and I started up a podcast and have two episodes specific to the roadshow available. Episode 3 is our reaction to the roadshow, and episode 4 is the recorded audio of Jim Lee and Dan DiDio talking. You can find us on iTunes or Stitcher at KowCast, or at this URL: http://kowabungacomics.com/podcast/

Hopefully you enjoy it . . . but it pales in comparison to the Geeks!
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

It's part of the publicity now. They announce the Big Stuff the day before (or sooner) to drive people to comic shops and to digital sales. You don't get into major media without a lot of work ahead of time, so I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with spoilers going up on the internet.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Read the second issue of King and Finch's Batman, and thought it was excellent. I don't know how much that is to do with Rebirth, to me it doesn't seem all that different than most stories in the prior volume of Batman (not that I am complaining) but they are an excellent creative team, and off to a strong start. And paying $2.99/issue for 2 issues a month, rather than $3.99 (often more) for one, slightly longer issue a month, is fine by me.
    edited July 2016
    I'm slowly working through June's DC Rebirth books. Batman was good but I actually enjoyed Detective more. The same goes with Action Comics over Superman. I just started reading the Flash and it's pretty good too but the art is a little "wonky" to me. Still have a long way to go....
    If you're reading Action Comics #959, don't get thrown by that Snicker's ad... reminds me of the old Hostess ads.