Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1604 Talkback - Spotlight on the Black Panther

2»

Comments

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    mwhitt80 said:

aquatroy said:

How is it that I've never heard of Billy Graham until now?

Because he drew relatively few comics, and the books he drew were generally second-tier or independent books. When he joined Marvel in 1972, he was already 37 years old.
    And he was a moderately successful stage actor.

Holy crap that's an official @SolitaireRose sighting. I missed you SR.
    If you have listened to my 4 (!!) podcasts, you know that life's been pretty busy the last few months. Add to that the Big Move and I just haven't had time to read or post about camix.

But my love for Don McGregor overcomes all barriers of time and space. ^_^

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited May 2016
    Quick give me the name of all 4 and I'll try to listen to your main one and at least one more. Then I won't derail the conversation further with @SolitaireRose talk.

I feel a little dumb now I was collecting those jungle action and black panther series (you could get reader copies pretty cheaply). Then i quit bc i got fanasinated with early post crisis dc. Now it's hard to find those at reasonable price. Stupid movies.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    mwhitt80 said:

Quick give me the name of all 4 and I'll try to listen to your main one and at least one more. Then I won't derail the conversation further with @SolitaireRose talk.

https://itunes.apple.com/tt/podcast/kray-z-comics-stories-podcast/id358053216?mt=2
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I feel a little dumb now I was collecting those jungle action and black panther series (you could get reader copies pretty cheaply). Then i quit bc i got fanasinated with early post crisis dc. Now it's hard to find those at reasonable price. Stupid movies.

The good thing is, with the movies, it's all coming into print. Hopefully they collect the MCP serial and Panther's Prey.

A damn shame McGregor didn't get to do his sequel to Panther's Prey, since he DID get the signoff to have the Panther marry Monica Lynne in that story.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

mwhitt80 said:

The good thing is, with the movies, it's all coming into print. Hopefully they collect the MCP serial and Panther's Prey.

A damn shame McGregor didn't get to do his sequel to Panther's Prey, since he DID get the signoff to have the Panther marry Monica Lynne in that story.

It's been 6 or 7 years since I read Panther's Prey and the Black Panther limited series from the late 80s. I remember enjoying them. I might have to go digging through what's left of my long boxes.
  • Options
    RobAndersonRobAnderson Posts: 553
    Thanks, guys (and especially @wildpigcomics ) for an EPIC spotlight! It took me a while to get to it because I wanted to read the first handful of issues of Priest's run via Marvel Unlimited prior to listening. A great read, and I'll be reading more.

Anyway, a fantastic spotlight; I really enjoyed this (and the recent Crisis Tapes from @Adam_Murdough & Peter) as I've been packing up my place for a move. Much appreciated!!

I've only ever read one or two issues of the McGregor run, back in the day, so I definitely need to pick those up, either in "Epic" or MMW format when available...
  • Options
    DMHaightDMHaight Posts: 23
    Really love these spotlights, and this one was clearly a labor of love for Chris. Can't say that I've collected much Black Panther over the years, but I'm intrigued enough by your coverage of the Christopher Priest material to start seeking it out. Well done gentlemen!
  • Options
    http://comicsalliance.com/black-panther-panthers-rage-don-mcgregor/

This article on Panther's Rage just popped up on Comics Alliance, just a few weeks after the esteemed Mr Eberle sang its praises. Always nice to see some lesser-known Bronze Age comics getting a bit of love and attention.
  • Options
    I could listen to Eberle and the Murd all night. Wait a minute, I practically just did. Outstanding! Where's the spotlight on Bizzaro, Murd??? 30th anniversary of The New Universe...just sayin'...is this thing on? Or am I just off?
  • Options
    A spotlight on The Shadow would be greatly appreciated, as well.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Try this.
  • Options

Try this.
    Thank you! I missed that one along the way somehow.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited July 2016

For those that would love to read the Don McGregor run, but don't want to pay nearly $150+ for the now out-of-print Marvel Masterworks that its collected in, check out Amazon for the Black Panther Epic Collection: Panther's Rage where it's on sale (*pre-order) only $31.49 and collects it all, including the first appearance of T'Challa in FANTASTIC FOUR 52-53, along with the aforementioned JUNGLE ACTION 6-24.
    *Note: That Epic collection will ship in mid-October

FWIW: That MMW #141 was on sale for $19 back in 2010. I totally dropped the ball on that missed opportunity.

That Black Panther Epic Collection is also available for pre-order on DSBService for way less, $17.49 and it collects 19+ issues of Don McGregor T'Challa goodness. Those that pre-ordered from Amazon can cancel those orders if you wish.

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2016

Christopher Priest Vol. 1 collection is only $4.99 right now (normally $30)! (Click the picture for the link)
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Christopher Priest Vol. 1 collection is only $4.99 right now (normally $30)! (Click the picture for the link)

The link just takes me to the picture. Is this a digital sale or a sale of actual trades?
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited August 2016
    Late to the party here, folks, but I've gotta hand it to Chris and the guys for 3+ hours of amazing learning and entertainment! Thanks so much for filling in so much of the history of a character I've always loved, but knew very little about. I will definitely seek out a bunch of the material Chris recommended. Thanks, gentlemen!

Oh, and one tiny nitpick: Unless T'Challa became an American citizen when I wasn't looking, referring to him as an "African American" seemed a bit awkward. T'Challa is an African African!
  • Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited April 2017

For those that would love to read the Don McGregor run, but don't want to pay nearly $150+ for the now out-of-print Marvel Masterworks that its collected in, check out Amazon for the Black Panther Epic Collection: Panther's Rage where it's on sale (*pre-order) only $31.49 and collects it all, including the first appearance of T'Challa in FANTASTIC FOUR 52-53, along with the aforementioned JUNGLE ACTION 6-24.
    *Note: That Epic collection will ship in mid-October

FWIW: That MMW #141 was on sale for $19 back in 2010. I totally dropped the ball on that missed opportunity.

That Black Panther Epic Collection is also available for pre-order on DSBService for way less, $17.49 and it collects 19+ issues of Don McGregor T'Challa goodness. Those that pre-ordered from Amazon can cancel those orders if you wish.

I just (finally) finished reading this, and it is FANTASTIC! Billy Graham's art is stunning and works so well with McGregor's writing. The only downside? As did the Jungle Action series, it ends in the middle of the second story arc! Now I'll have to hunt down the later issues that conclude the story.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    Thank you for this. Can you believe how many years ago Priest wrote his run?!