Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV (correction, streaming media) NEWS - Star Trek: Discovery

2»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Tonebone said:

It's funny to notice at my office the high level of excitement for The Orville, and the "meh" level for Discovery...

For my tastes, the look of the show is too close to Enterprise... Darkly lit sets, blue naval uniforms, lots of steel beams, etc. Being close to Enterprise is not really a good thing.

When I saw the Orville set, I felt like I was home.

Speaking of the sci-fi comedy The Orville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0

(Yes, the voice for that gelatinous blob is Norm MacDonald.)

Not sure if I like the "USS Orville" as the name of a ship any more than "USS Shenzhou"
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Tonebone said:

It's funny to notice at my office the high level of excitement for The Orville, and the "meh" level for Discovery...

For my tastes, the look of the show is too close to Enterprise... Darkly lit sets, blue naval uniforms, lots of steel beams, etc. Being close to Enterprise is not really a good thing.

When I saw the Orville set, I felt like I was home.

Orville looks pretty orville to me.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Discovery lands a merch deal. Of course the first two items will be of Kirk and Picard.

http://www.startrek.com/article/mcfarlane-to-create-discovery-toys
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

I hope that someone tries to explain away why the female uniforms became skimpier 10 years later with Kirk. Maybe say that the uniform of the day was a Captain's prerogative on a ship and some Captains liked the short skirt. Everybody in deference to Kirk had their females wear the uniform when he arrived at Starbases.

I listened to an interview with Nichelle Nichols (maybe with Kevin Smith?). In it she talked about how Roddenberry wanted to change the uniforms to something a little more modest after season 1, but the actresses really liked the uniforms and made him keep them.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I hope that someone tries to explain away why the female uniforms became skimpier 10 years later with Kirk. Maybe say that the uniform of the day was a Captain's prerogative on a ship and some Captains liked the short skirt. Everybody in deference to Kirk had their females wear the uniform when he arrived at Starbases.

I listened to an interview with Nichelle Nichols (maybe with Kevin Smith?). In it she talked about how Roddenberry wanted to change the uniforms to something a little more modest after season 1, but the actresses really liked the uniforms and made him keep them.
    It would make sense for the Kirk character and modern sensibilities if it came out that Kirk was the decision maker for female uniforms. You can say that women filed complaint after compliant but because Kirk was the golden boy, he got his way.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

mwhitt80 said:

It would make sense for the Kirk character and modern sensibilities if it came out that Kirk was the decision maker for female uniforms. You can say that women filed complaint after compliant but because Kirk was the golden boy, he got his way.
    Oh I wasn't saying that for any storyline/plot points. I was just pointing out an interesting tidbit I heard in an interview. I'll try to find it because it really was a great listen.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    If you search Star Trek fm, you will find a whole network of Trek podcasts that cover all aspects of the franchise. I have been listening to the Literary Trek podcast where the novels and comics are covered.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    For those that are planning to watch this, save the date: Sept 24

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Maybe it will be the best Trek ever!

:neutral:

If the dislike button was still around, I would want to dislike my own comment.