Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

On Having to Pre-Order Comics to Save Them (or "Die Industry, Die!")

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    You can buy mine on eBay from Goodwill
  • Options
    That show had a handful full of really funny jokes that made me laugh so hard the FIRST time I watched them.

Peter vs. Rooster 1
    The first time he scrapped his knee.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    According to ComicBook.com, the latest pre-order success is Marvel's Champions #1 which has hit a whopping 400,000 issues!! This has to be a combination of exclusive covers from retailers and the 1:1000 cover too, but it's never spun that way, is it?

Matthew Mueller writes:
    Pre-orders for Champions #1 have already crossed over the 400,000 mark, partly due to its vibrant roster of young heroes and also partly due to the well-known track record of Waid and Ramos.

"We couldn't be more thrilled with the response to the new Champions series," SVP of Sales and Marketing David Gabriel told ComicBook.com. "Hitting the 400K mark shows that the entire comics industry is ready and waiting for the story Mark Waid and Humberto Ramos have to tell. As the weeks go on, I imagine that excitement will hit a fever pitch with fans and we're not done yet. Between the launch parties and other Marketing initiatives, there's a lot to be excited about with Champions right now."
    In spite of the reasons for the success cited by the writer and the marketing shill, everyone knows GameStop and Hot Topic likely both have variants, but I suspect most comic shops ordered on the low side for this largely unproven book. However, another comics publisher, Scholastic, has allegedly made a huge order for this title. They run book fairs at schools and have their own variant of Champions #1. So that's probably the main driver of these numbers. Don't know if Loot Crate is involved, but I think if that were the case we'd be seeing north of a half-million easy. With Scholastic involved, this could be a very good thing if it turns out that Marvel's efforts to reach a younger audience here further make it a viable outlet for other publishers too.

As for the book itself? I'm not too pleased with much of Marvel's output these days, but I do hope the book reaches its audience and that they like what they see/read. Waid and Ramos at the helm doesn't do much for me, though I'm CLEARLY not the target demo. The cynic in me wonders what numbers for issues #2 & #3 will be and how long before we see several copies of this book in the .50 cent bins...

• Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868

I do hope the book reaches its audience and that they like what they see/read.

Not sure Scholastic will help put it in the hands of people around 40 years old with fond memories of Waid & Ramos on Impulse. :smiley:

• Options
    A single issue at a school book fair? I've not seen that before. I wonder how that will do. I do know that Scholastic sells a bunch of Ms. Marvel trades through the book fairs. I talked with the lady running the setup at my daughter's orientation last spring about it. They had a display set up right beside the register with a bunch of comic trades.
  • Options

A single issue at a school book fair? I've not seen that before. I wonder how that will do. I do know that Scholastic sells a bunch of Ms. Marvel trades through the book fairs. I talked with the lady running the setup at my daughter's orientation last spring about it. They had a display set up right beside the register with a bunch of comic trades.

It surprised me as well. Bleeding Cool has been looking for the Schlastic variant to show up, but hasn't seen it yet. The trades makes sense, or even a square-bound book. Maybe that's what it will be? A squarebound edition? Could they do that and still include it with the floppy numbers?
  • Options

The trades makes sense, or even a square-bound book. Maybe that's what it will be? A squarebound edition? Could they do that and still include it with the floppy numbers?

If it’s square-bound, it will have a different price. And if it has a different price, it will need a different UPC code (and Scholastic might need it to have an ISBN as well, but I'm not sure), which makes it a separate publication. They could still combine the different editions by saying simply the first issues sold X number of copies and be technically accurate.
  • Options

The trades makes sense, or even a square-bound book. Maybe that's what it will be? A squarebound edition? Could they do that and still include it with the floppy numbers?

If it’s square-bound, it will have a different price. And if it has a different price, it will need a different UPC code (and Scholastic might need it to have an ISBN as well, but I'm not sure), which makes it a separate publication. They could still combine the different editions by saying simply the first issues sold X number of copies and be technically accurate.
    That's what I thought, so I guess it will very likely be the floppy versions. It's a bit hard to ascertain whether these earlier Scholastic publishings are traditional floppies or not. MyComicShop has the Scooby Doo series, and I've seen some DC Lego books, along with some magazines Scholastic has sold. This may be a first, although Marvel has had a relationship with Scholastic for some time now.

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited September 2016

Matthew Mueller writes:

"...However, another comics publisher, Scholastic, has allegedly made a huge order for this title. They run book fairs at schools and have their own variant of Champions #1. So that's probably the main driver of these numbers. Don't know if Loot Crate is involved, but I think if that were the case we'd be seeing north of a half-million easy. With Scholastic involved, this could be a very good thing if it turns out that Marvel's efforts to reach a younger audience here further make it a viable outlet for other publishers too.

I'm very excited about this. Scholastic is a Juggernaut.
    Single issues at a school book fair would be a great impulse buy, and they could move massive quantities. Not to mention simple tack-on for the classroom order forms. I could easily see my girls grabbing a Champions issue at the school book fair... those things are a cash cow at our school (almost like Black Friday for primary school kids).

This is a great idea to introduce kids to the Marvel Universe.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Food for thought/May Not Be Relevant:

This weekend while nursing a cold, perusing the internet, I notice my favorite video game series put out a solicit to pre-order the latest installment/version. To entice me, for a few shekels more than what I'd pay in the stores, I get the soundtrack (this series always has great music) on DC, some cool stickers, a keychain, artbooks, etc.

I couldn't give them my paypal money fast enough.

Which brought to mind this thread:

- Why did I waste no time preordering this yet I agonize over everything on my DCBS order? Is it a matter of time (video games release maybe...MAYBE...annually compared to a monthly comic order)?

- What if comics added enticements to get people to pre-order. Granted we're in a drug-dealer state now...they got us so why throw in bonuses. But what if? And what could those incentives/enticement be?

(The game is Harvest Moon. It's a farming sim that's very relaxing because all you do is farm, tend to livestock, get married, have a kid...you don't kill anyone and leveling up usually just means you get a better watering can.)

(Go ahead and point and laugh. It's a very theraputic game that keeps the mind-goblins away. :) )
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Why did I waste no time preordering this yet I agonize over everything on my DCBS order? Is it a matter of time (video games release maybe...MAYBE...annually compared to a monthly comic order)?

How many video games do you buy each year? Probably only a small handful, maybe as many as a dozen. I think that’s the difference.
    Torchsong said:

What if comics added enticements to get people to pre-order. Granted we're in a drug-dealer state now...they got us so why throw in bonuses. But what if? And what could those incentives/enticement be?

You mean like offering plastic Green Lantern rings of various colors to promote your big GL event? Or a black armband for your “Death of the Superman” storyline (or was that for the Punisher—or both)? Or “Vote Lex” or “Vote Howard the Duck” pins? Or Team Myxyzptlk and Team Bat-Mite pins for the World’s Funnest comic? Or... I could go on and on. Yeah, it's been done—bookmarks, postcards, pins, armbands, stickers, and even a balsa wood glider to promote Madman—but it's an added expense (design, production, shipping, handling at Diamond) that I can’t see anyone doing on a monthly basis.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

(The game is Harvest Moon. It's a farming sim that's very relaxing because all you do is farm, tend to livestock, get married, have a kid...you don't kill anyone and leveling up usually just means you get a better watering can.)

(Go ahead and point and laugh. It's a very theraputic game that keeps the mind-goblins away. :) )

I played the first one years ago and had to quit...
    I could tell I was about to get sucked in 100℅
  • Options

You mean like offering plastic Green Lantern rings of various colors to promote your big GL event? Or a black armband for your “Death of the Superman” storyline (or was that for the Punisher—or both)? Or “Vote Lex” or “Vote Howard the Duck” pins? Or Team Myxyzptlk and Team Bat-Mite pins for the World’s Funnest comic? Or... I could go on and on. Yeah, it's been done—bookmarks, postcards, pins, armbands, stickers, and even a balsa wood glider to promote Madman—but it's an added expense (design, production, shipping, handling at Diamond) that I can’t see anyone doing on a monthly basis.

And many of those were incentives for the retailer, not the individual buyer. I think for the individual buyer the incentives are those variant covers we love so much, and that's about it. And yes, the funnybooks are expensive enough as it is for publishers to print.

I like the balsa wood glider idea though. That's pretty cool. :)
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I'm an absolute slave to it. Worse things in life to be addicted to. :)
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Torchsong said:

Actually sounds intriguing

• Options
    Torchsong said:

I like the balsa wood glider idea though. That's pretty cool. :)

We were flying those things around the store for a month. I still have an unassembled one in a box somewhere.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Actually sounds intriguing

It's like an anti-video game. You take over a farm and have to develop it by weeding, planting crops, raising livestock, and all that good stuff. Along the way you have to make friends, and successfully woo a spouse (later editions of the game allow you to play as either gender), have kids, etc. There are a number of mini-stories with different characters, and with a few exceptions, there's no real "end" to it. You can play until you're bored with it (by which time a new version has come out), or keep building your farm into the most productive thing known to man.

It sounds bone-crushingly monotonous, and in many ways it is, but there's something about it that will keep you playing it if you're really into it.

Best bet is to avoid the more current Harvest Moon releases which have veered off from the original series (which were imported from the Japanese) and are pretty much for die hard idiots (like me) only. A much more fun and immersive experience can be found by playing the Story of Seasons game for the DS...better graphics and gameplay...or if you absolutely HAVE to kill something, pick up one of the Rune Factory games which are another offshoot of the Harvest Moon franchise.

Not that I'm into it or anything... :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the overview. I remember many, many moons ago, playing a game called SimCity for so long it would be mid-morning the next day before I saved it and turned the game off. After one too many nights/mornings like that I had to stop altogether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGqERcLlatc

This might make me 'fall off the wagon,' but I do like the sound of it.
  • Options
    SimCity is still around. I have it on my phone. Played it on my Super Nintendo long, long ago. @Torchsong, have you played No Man’s Sky?
  • Options
    I built a money making city once in sim city and let the PC run all night in fastest speed. Then I built a residential zone in morning and it went to pot. Apparently my people loved population 79,000.

Sim City is the single most frustrating and addicting game I've ever played
  • Options
    SimEarth was far more frustrating.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    SimEarth is in my top ten three least favorite games I've put lots of time into.
  • Options
    I heard some pretty harsh reviews about No Man's Sky, and I think it's a PS4 exclusive, right? I have a WiiU and an XboxOne. What I heard sounded right up my alley, though.

And now we're officially thread de-railed. Sorry. :)
  • Options
    It also has a PC version. I don’t have a PC or a PS4, but it sounds fascinating. The harsh reviews all basically boil down to “nothing happens” or “boring”—that and the fact that the servers for online gamers got bogged down—but it sounds fascinating.

And this thread was pretty much done anyway.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    mwhitt80 said:

Torchsong said:

And now we're officially thread de-railed. Sorry. :)

mwhitt80 said:

Derailed

You have achieved total victory.

• Options
    edited September 2016
  • Options

unable to sell large numbers of back issues among other economic factors led to cutting orders to only what will sell quickly and definitely. retailers attempted to move the risk that they took from the publishers to the consumers in the form of preorders. this way they dont buy the comic unless someone has ordered it.

You make it sound like pre-ordering is a fairly recent occurrence, but the concept of incentivising customers to preorder was around long before trade paperbacks became a real factor. There were lots of stores offering discounts for preorders back in the mid-’80s when back issues moved at a brisk pace. There may well be many stores today in very small markets that do not order books beyond what is pre-ordered by their customers, but they are overwhelmingly the exception, not the rule. The risk today is still firmly placed on the retailer, not the customer, and not Marvel or DC.

Marvel and DC assume the risk of production. if no one orders the books at all, consumers, retailers, distributors, aren't hurt at all, but Marvel, DC and any publisher that pays its creative team, still have to pay those people, even if they dont wind up printing a single copy.

I’d be willing to wager that neither Marvel nor DC have published a book in the last 30 years that didn’t make enough money to cover the creative production expenses. That risk is so small as to be statistically non-existent.

If the risk is moved back to publishers, that wouldn't have helped nighthawk, in fact just the opposite, if all the risk is on publishers, then they will have to publish only the most risk free comics. if you think we are in a sea of bat and spider books, no one would take a chance publishing Knighthawk, the Vision, Squirrel Girl etc. the broad diversity of comics we see today is a result of that shift.

Yes, the broad diversity of comics we have available today is a result of the non-returnable system. But that diversity has built over time and has established itself now. If all comics became returnable starting tomorrow, Marvel and DC would still be flooding the market with 40–50+ books each month just like they did back in the '70s, and not all of them would be—or could be with that many being published—risk-averse, just like they weren't in the '70s. Marvel wouldn’t suddenly stop publishing Ms. Marvel or Squirrel Girl—those are established books now with steady audiences. On the contrary, they want to build on that success, and DC wants a piece of that pie as well. And as I said in an earlier post, I don't think retailers will suddenly start ordering crazy numbers of books they know they won't be able to sell. It will cost them money to return any overages, and shipping isn't exactly cheap these days. I would expect them to up their orders somewhat on #1, #2, and #3 issues, but otherwise I doubt there would be much of a bump.

The smaller publishers would have a much more difficult time. There would definitely be a thinning of the herd.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mwhitt80 said:

Nighthawk, he was in the Loners right?
    (Just kidding I know he was a part of the New Defenders ;) )

As for manga, I dabble a little more than most but @Torchsong devours. Your comment made me think of @John_Steed; I miss Werner.

FYI, I heard from his widow a while back.

She said how much he loved this place, I said how much he was missed.