Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Avengers Movie (Spoilery Thread - Enter at own risk)

One word, twelve letters:

Thanos!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    So then my friend (who actually works for Stan Lee) was right.

When I was on my spring break, he called me up. Said he had info I'd loooooove, as he saw the movie at some premiere. He told me Thanos was involved.

Nice to see it confirmed. I can't wait to actually see it on-screen
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    He's only portrayed as the overall 'big bad', and then only as 'he', but doesn't get involved and seen until the end credit sequence.
  • Options
    Just got back from seeing it, some initial thoughts:

I thought Whedon did a brilliant job with this movie, especially giving all the characters their own moments which showed exactly why they deserved to be on that team.

Something I read before which I kind of agree with is that it feels like not much happened in the movie, not really in a bad way as it was all leading to the invasion but it felt lightish.

I thought all the actors did great jobs but Scarlet Johannson seemed to stick out for me, I just really like her Black Widow. Ruffalo did a good job as well stepping in to play Banner. I remember specifically liking him when you see him in the Helicarrier for the first time, how obviously uncomfortable he is.

Hulk beating the crap out of Loki has got to be one of the most amazing things ive ever seen in a superhero movie! Got a massive laugh from people in the cinema.

Some very Whedonesque lines in the movie, my favourite being where Cap gets all excited when he finally understands a reference.

Thor felt slightly under-utilised. He did have some nice moments with Loki but I felt with something so personal to him we could have seen more.

Agent Coulson :( Such an awesome character and I loved his hero worship with Cap. It had me confused for a minute, thinking that he was still alive when Hill called Fury on lying about the cards but no such luck. Speaking of which Ive gotta admit I never really care about Fury or Sam Jackson in these movies but Maria Hill was pretty bad ass in places.

And finally......Thanos!

Overall......I need this on blu ray now!
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Seeing it again tomorrow!!
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    I'll probably see it again before the weekend is over.
    I spent the second half of the movie thinking, "Coulson's not really dead, right? Any minute now, he'll pop up..." I wish Maria Hill had shown a little more personality. I thought the first twenty minutes or so dragged a little, but from there on it got bigger and better with each passing second. Ruffalo owned Banner, and that half hour of the characters just bouncing off each other in the Helicarrier was perfectly written and acted.
    I still have no idea who the bad guys were. "Cheetaree"? Is that from Ultimates vol. 2 or something?
  • Options
    Brian, I did exactly the same thing all the way to the end when it came to Coulson. I love that Fury really is underlined as a manipulative asshole, which seems much more like 616 Nick rather than the ultimate U version.
  • Options
    Chitauri (I think) are From the Ultimate U
  • Options
    Adam Murdough is gonna wet his pants. Where Thanos goes, so does the Infinity Gauntlet!
  • Options
    SirChasmSirChasm Posts: 9
    Long time listener/lurker making an account so I can just say the "courting death" line at the end left me literally bouncing out of the cinema. Fantastic film.
  • Options
    Chitauri were indeed Mark Millars version of skrulls from the second arc of The Ultimates.
  • Options
    Long time listener/lurker making an account so I can just say the "courting death" line at the end left me literally bouncing out of the cinema. Fantastic film.
    what is that from?

I feel asking is letting 10 points go on my geek card.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited April 2012
    what is that from?

I feel asking is letting 10 points go on my geek card.
    The line itself isn't from a specific comic. But Thanos, throughout this history, has been in love with the personification of Death.

• Options

The line itself isn't from a specific comic. But Thanos, throughout this history, has been in love with the personification of Death.
    I see... I know now to the setting of such a quote and who said it, makes sense.
  • Options

I see... I know now to the setting of such a quote and who said it, makes sense.
    I just love the total fan service of it, what a way to sum up such an important marvel character giving his entire reason for being in such a simple phrase and follow it up with big grin he gives, I'm still grinning about it this morning.
  • Options
    Oh did anyone catch who the Thanos actor was at all? The misses was certain it was Ron Pearlman but I wasn't really thinking about who the actor was at that moment to think about it!
  • Options
    Oh did anyone catch who the Thanos actor was at all? The misses was certain it was Ron Pearlman but I wasn't really thinking about who the actor was at that moment to think about it!
    I'm seeing it again later, will try to catch if he's credited. The character on-screen looked CGI to me, but who can tell these days!
  • Options
    I'm seeing it again later, will try to catch if he's credited. The character on-screen looked CGI to me, but who can tell these days!
    I thought it was CG too, but Ron Pearlman would be perfect!
    I really wonder how they're going to approach Thanos in the film universe. They did already show the Infinity Gauntlet in Odin's armoury... Or was that bit cut?
  • Options
    Just so people don't think I only enjoyed the ending the other moments I loved:

Hulk vs Thor.
    Hulk's "love tap" with Thor after fighting side by side.
    Black Widow's two interrogations.
    Tony Stark's one liners - the Shakespeare one was particularly humourous.
    Hulk vs Loki - the whole cinema erupted with laughter, loved the low groan Loki made after too.
    Captain America getting the Wizard of Oz reference!
    Cap giving orders to the police.
    Fury stopping the plane taking off with an RPG.
    Thor and Loki's chat and Stark interrupting part way through.

What I really loved was the fact that they could jump into the main beats of the story without too much character exposition as they had already had the chance to flesh out all these characters and their motivations in the films leading up to this one. It's been a truly unique experience and gave it a huge advantage over ensemble films where you have to really develop the characters within the course of that one film.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I hope the next round of solo movies will contribute to the build-up for Thanos in Avengers 2. Maybe throw an infinity gem into each movie somewhere.

I previously thought that due to the amount of cosmic stuff in the film, the teaser scene might have been something to do with the nova corps, maybe Earth had been 'noticed'. Then I thought that might have been too green lanterny for them.

I just had an idea. Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Cap 2 could have a cameo by a mysterious character traveling around checking into these super-powered people, who turns out to be someone like Captain Marvel or Adam Warlock. They could sign up a name actor have him appear once or twice in each film without revealing who he is playing.
  • Options
    I hope the Ant Man movie has a bit of lead up to Pym creating Ultron. That would be a pretty great villain for the 3rd Avengers movie if we're having Thanos for the second.
  • Options
    Yeah I had a feeling early on we were dealing with Thanos when Loki has his flashback, you see the big stone statues ans steps and space all round them - straight out of Thanos' throne from Infinity Gauntlet.
  • Options
    I agree have an Ultron/Vision arc for the third film, perhaps throw Wanda in for good measure assuming she isn't part of the X-Men rights Fox have.
  • Options
    Yep...loved it the second time as well. Planning third viewing.
  • Options
    I agree have an Ultron/Vision arc for the third film, perhaps throw Wanda in for good measure assuming she isn't part of the X-Men rights Fox have.
    I read somewhere that Quicksilver and Wanda are in a gray area as far as rights are concerned. Technically, they could appear in either. Or maybe both.
  • Options
    2nd time here too.

How could I forget "he is playing Galaga" and "I'm always angry" and Cap's $10 bet. Grrrrreat film :)
  • Options
    Did everyone else's audience give a little gasp/reaction to the "mewling quim" line?
  • Options
    Did everyone else's audience give a little gasp/reaction to the "mewling quim" line?
    Yeah mine did
  • Options
    I got the feeling that blonde girl Cap saved from the bank was supposed to be someone... Maybe that was just setting up for a future storyline or something. I think her nametag said Beth. Did anyone else wonder about that?
  • Options
    I got the feeling that blonde girl Cap saved from the bank was supposed to be someone... Maybe that was just setting up for a future storyline or something. I think her nametag said Beth. Did anyone else wonder about that?
    Ang thought exactly the same thing, but I took it to be random.
    Yeah mine did
    I do wonder if the American audiences will realise that Loki's essentially calling her a "whining c*nt"

• Options
    I just sat there thinking, "That.....that does mean what I think it means right?"