Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Avengers Movie (Spoilery Thread - Enter at own risk)

Comments

• Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I think what makes the Hulk so effective is his limited screen time. I truly enjoyed the Ed Norton/Hulk movie and tend to think that the character isn't best suited to carrying an entire film on his brawny shoulders. Ruffalo is such a naturalistic actor that he makes anything he appears in that much better. I will see Avengers again but I still think I prefer last year's Cap movie a tiny bit. I'm a sucker for the 1940s setting.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Went to Target this afternoon to pick up Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America on DVD.

They were all sold out.
    they are all on netflix
    I'm not.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I forgot to mention that the Germany scenes were filmed here on Cleveland's public square & county courthouse. Also, the street fights toward the end were done largely on East 9th Street. All the Avengers (minus Downey & Ruffalo - whose charaters were cgi )were in town for several weeks last summer. Look for lots of bts video on YouTube to see them setting up shots.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    Also, the street fights toward the end were done largely on East 9th Street.
    A lot of them were also completely computer generated. :)

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Hulk suckerpunching Thor might be the funniest thing I've seen on screen in quite a while.

I loved pretty much everything about the movie, but I think that was my favorite part. It still makes me laugh.
  • Options
    "No telling what the black magic it took to send you here cost father Odin" (I think that's the line, but close)
    its "No telling how much dark energy Odin used to send Thor since the Bifrost Bridge is out.

again Dark energy, Project Pegasus?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Finally saw it last night. LOVED IT! What a fun experience. Havnt laughed that hard in ages. Really couldnt have been much better. Of course Im biased so I would be curious how the movie would play to someone unfamiliar with the characters and or the previous related movies.

Some random thoughts and opinions

Couldve shaved several minutes off by trimming from the begining SHIELD stuff and even some of the Stark Pepper scene. Not that I didnt enjoy it... just from an editing and runtime standpoint.
    A tad disappointed (but fully expected) IronMan (RDJ) getting most the screen and besting everyone and ultimately saving the day.
    Loved the Helicarrier. Just cant believe I actually saw one.
    Coulsons infatuation w/ Cap was a fantastic stroke.
    The CGI overall was outstanding. Cant think of a weak scene.
    Best Hulk design yet. And Ruffalo(sp?) was perfectly fine. IMO though he always looks like hes fighting a toothache or something.
    Caps uniform came accross at least slighter better than in the commercials. Still needs work.
    Cap / Chris Evans was pretty awesome as was the creative teams handling of the character. Glad to see they didnt make a joke out of him or change him to pander to modern left leaning audiences.
    Didnt get a scene of Cap knocking Stark down a couple pegs I was most hoping for and curious that Cap never menioned Stark senior to Tony in any capacity.
    Hawkeye was cool but not as cool as I had hoped / expected. I also expected him to have jumped on one of the alien "sky cycles"... didnt he ride a flying motorcycle thing in the comics?
    I think Im now in love w/ Scarlet Johansen. She really brought her "A" game (and before now I didnt really think she even had one). She was adequate in IM3 but gave some really weak line deliveries there. Here she really emoted and kept up. I thought she was decent looking enough in the past but for whatever reason in Avenger she had me constantly shifting in my seat.
    Maria Hill didnt really do anything for me (good or really bad). I assume her true purpose was/is to replace Coulson in future movies.
    Coulsons death was totally unexpected and a bummer. Shouldve seen it coming though but didnt.
    The guy playing Loki did a standout job too IMO. Believably smarmy and evil.
    Loved Stan Lees cameo.
    Thor seemed slightly underutilized but cant articulate why or how. Just seemed that way to me.
    Glad they referenced the Jane Foster character.
    Fury /Sam Jackson was fine as usual. Although his facial scars did annoy me since they were so apparant and severe here but barely visible in the previous movies. They also looked unnatural and seemed inconsistant from scene to scene.
    The mid credit scene didnt have the impact on me it did everyone else. Didnt care for the CGI and wasnt really that dynamic IMO. Not complaining, just didnt do it for me. However; the Shwarma(sp?) scene was hillarious.
    I wonder what happened to all the other people under Lokis control upon his capture?
    Still not sure what Lokis "plan" was or what he accomplished by allowing SHIELD to capture him?
    What was Tonys plan/expectation during his confrontation w/ Loki at his penthouse in regards to his new armor had he not been conveniently tossed out the window?
    Didnt understand Caps comment... "When I fell asleep, we were at war. When I woke up, they told me we won. I Realized we didnt win". Something like that. I assume he meant hes sad to see there is still violence / war in the world? I dunno. Wasnt worded the best IMO.
    What did Widow whisper to Hawkeye that made him smile at the end as Thor was about to transport Loki away? I thought Clint was going to punch Loki or something like that but then... nothing.

Cant wait to see it again!
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Couldve shaved several minutes off by trimming from the begining SHIELD stuff and even some of the Stark Pepper scene. Not that I didnt enjoy it... just from an editing and runtime standpoint.
    The original runtime was over 3 hours (which means this is gonna make a great Blu-Ray), so they cut out plenty already. I'm not sure I would have cut out even more.
  • Options
    HappenstanceHappenstance Posts: 113
    Except all that

Didnt understand Caps comment... "When I fell asleep, we were at war. When I woke up, they told me we won. I Realized we didnt win". Something like that. I assume he meant hes sad to see there is still violence / war in the world? I dunno. Wasnt worded the best IMO.
    He said "When I fell asleep, we were at war. When I woke up they told me we won, they didnt tell me what we lost."
  • Options
    I must have a massive bladder. I have never criticized a movie I enjoyed for being too long.
  • Options
    Best Hulk design yet. And Ruffalo(sp?) was perfectly fine. IMO though he always looks like hes fighting a toothache or something.
    That was intentional. The actor's way of showing what's just under the surface.
  • Options
    Caps uniform came accross at least slighter better than in the commercials. Still needs work.
    Hey. Phil designed it. All flaws are forgiven. :)
  • Options
    Still not sure what Lokis "plan" was or what he accomplished by allowing SHIELD to capture him?
    Stir up trouble.

Remember, Loki is the God of Mischief. And he's very good at that.

He wants to be a ruler and a mastermind, but he's lousy at those things.

As Coulson pointed out to him.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    "No telling what the black magic it took to send you here cost father Odin" (I think that's the line, but close)
    its "No telling how much dark energy Odin used to send Thor since the Bifrost Bridge is out.

again Dark energy, Project Pegasus?
    You may already know this but Dark Energy is a real scientific theory it is not something they made up for the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

• Options
    Avengers Yearbook Photos:

• Options

A tad disappointed (but fully expected) IronMan (RDJ) getting most the screen and besting everyone and ultimately saving the day.

Coulsons death was totally unexpected and a bummer. Shouldve seen it coming though but didnt.
    Thor seemed slightly underutilized but cant articulate why or how. Just seemed that way to me.

What was Tonys plan/expectation during his confrontation w/ Loki at his penthouse in regards to his new armor had he not been conveniently tossed out the window?

What did Widow whisper to Hawkeye that made him smile at the end as Thor was about to transport Loki away? I thought Clint was going to punch Loki or something like that but then... nothing.

My thoughts on these:

1) I think Iron Man being the one to stop them with the Nuke was a callback to Steve's line about how Tony would never lie down on the wire. Tony said he'd just cut the wire, but in the end, he was ready to sacrifice himself if he had to. It was good for his arc.
    2) Many have pointed out that we did not see Phil die onscreen, so who knows his ultimate fate.
    3) I think Thor showing up late had something to do with this.
    4) Some said that Loki's plan was to get out from under the heel of the aliens, to get back home and to keep the cube out of Thanos' hands. If so, he accomplished all of that.
    5) I think he would have had the Mark 7 Armor come to him no matter what
    6) I chalk this up to a callback to Lost in Translation. Sub in Hawkeye for Bill Murray...
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    I figured he wanted to take the most powerful players off the game board. If you look at his invasion and then imagine what would have happened in the absence of The Avengers...

• Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    1) I think Iron Man being the one to stop them with the Nuke was a callback to Steve's line about how Tony would never lie down on the wire. Tony said he'd just cut the wire, but in the end, he was ready to sacrifice himself if he had to. It was good for his arc.
    I agree, although it was very telegraphed, the minute Cap took him to task on it you just knew he'd have an opportunity to show that he had it in him to sacrifice for the cause.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    You know, I'd love to see an Avengers sequel with Skrulls who could only turn into Stan Lee lookalikes. That'd really explain all his cameos.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    You know, I'd love to see an Avengers sequel with Skrulls who could only turn into Stan Lee lookalikes. That'd really explain all his cameos.
    Then that means either Cap or the Human Torch is a scrull too!

• Options
    Maybe Bruce Banner is a Skrull who can never remember the last face he used!
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    Haha yeah a scrull with recurring fits of amnesia! He might not even know.
  • Options
    Ooohhh was scarlet kohansen the girl from lost in translation!? If so than that's cute and at least makes sense then lol.

On a similar note, I'm 99% sure the waitress cap saved was on a sitcom as a little girl around the 80s. Don't know how I recognize her but I know I do.

• Options
    On a similar note, I'm 99% sure the waitress cap saved was on a sitcom as a little girl around the 80s. Don't know how I recognize her but I know I do.
    Ashley Johnson. She was on Growing Pains. And all sorts of other stuff.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Yeah, I was really excited to see her. I always thought she was annoying on Growing Pains (but, to be fair, most late-series additions are, especially when they are suddenly-aged versions of a character who was a baby the season before), but she's an awesome voiceover actress and has been good in the live action stuff I've seen her in lately, too. Doesn't hurt that she's pretty cute, either.
  • Options
    That was intentional. The actor's way of showing what's just under the surface.
    I really like that idea but I was being litteral lol He seemed to be manipulating his mouth physically like someone who has just come from the dentist lol.
    Ashley Johnson. She was on Growing Pains. And all sorts of other stuff.
    Really? hmm cant say I specifically remember here from that show. I was thinking facts of Life or family ties. Cool.
    I figured he wanted to take the most powerful players off the game board. If you look at his invasion and then imagine what would have happened in the absence of The Avengers...
    Black Widow said his plan for getting caught was "getting the Hulk". I assume somehow he intended to take control of Banner via his staff or something and it just didnt work?
    Except all that

He said "When I fell asleep, we were at war. When I woke up they told me we won, they didnt tell me what we lost."
    That makes more sense lol.

My thoughts on these:

2) Many have pointed out that we did not see Phil die onscreen, so who knows his ultimate fate.
    3) I think Thor showing up late had something to do with this.
    4) Some said that Loki's plan was to get out from under the heel of the aliens, to get back home and to keep the cube out of Thanos' hands. If so, he accomplished all of that.
    5) I think he would have had the Mark 7 Armor come to him no matter what
    6) I chalk this up to a callback to Lost in Translation. Sub in Hawkeye for Bill Murray...
    2-I think it would be pretty stupid if his death didnt really happen. I love the idea of the actor coming in to be the voice of Vision later on.
    3-I think youre probably right.
    5-of course, but I doubt how well that rocket deployment and transformation method wouldve worked from just across the room lol. Just a silly observation not a slam against the movie.
  • Options
    I wouldve liked to have seen Cap instinctively call out for a "Medic" or something when Tony crashed or have him struggle to get his armor off or something to try and help him rather than everyone just stand around looking at him before the Hulk yelled. Loved that bit though.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Hey. Phil designed it. All flaws are forgiven. :)

They so suckered me with that. When he put it on at the end of the movie I was ready to cringe then I remembered "Oh wait. Phil designed it. Poor little fella. I guess its okay." I'm such a softie.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    On the whole Phil Coulson death.

1) They introduced the concept of Life Model Decoys.
    2) He death was announced after he was taken away.
    3) He didn't have a family so no worries of freaking out a family by resurrecting him that way.
    4) A SHIELD movie would bring him back as like their Spock or Data.