Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Avengers Movie (Spoilery Thread - Enter at own risk)

Comments

• Options
    This film has set the bar all future superhero movies. My daughter is now begging for Hulk books to read.

I have only this gripe, Marvel adds Coulson to the 616 to tie it in with the movie universe (a move that I like), only to see him get killed in the movie.

We're seeing this again tomorrow and Sunday.
    I can see him return as a Skrull but at least we got a death in a comic book related thing that had some poignancy and it felt like it mattered

I liked the "push" Fury gave the team, thats what Nick Fury would do.

LMD for the win, plus "a bag of weed"?!?! awesome.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Am I the only one who was kind of glad to see Coulson go? He served his purpose foreshadowing the upcoming movies and provided a good "red shirt" death. There's just something about that actor that is too smug.
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Who says Coulson is really dead? We saw Fury cold-heartedly manipulating team, who's to say Phil isn't perfectly fine?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Who says Coulson is really dead? We saw Fury cold-heartedly manipulating team, who's to say Phil isn't perfectly fine?
    My wife said the same thing and I hope that's the case, Coulson has been one of the best thing about these movies.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    @mrfusion: How about a debrief on your sequences?
    The whole end battle was broken up into multiple sequences. I supervised from when the camera came around to reveal the portal that the Jumbo creature comes through until Cap starts giving the cops orders. I did most (if not all) of the shots starting with that first portal shot up to just before the alien crashes into the office. I did a couple of shots right after that of Iron Man chasing Jumbo through the city. I also did the early shot of Iron Man coming up out of the water and heading towards the city as well as the one of him flying up the side of Star Tower and landing that was in many of the trailers. Finally I did the shots of Hulk on the roof where he's fighting the aliens and turns to see a whole bunch of guys who start firing on him and the following shots of him getting blasted. All in all it must be about 19 shots. I helped out on a few others but not enough that I would call them "my" shots.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    he was the voice pushing for Kirby krackle around the portal scenes.
    This is true. Early on when they were developing the look of the portal I put together a presentation explaining what Kirby Krackle was with lots of reference pictures. The producers and effects supe really liked the idea and they tried to incorporate some of that into the final look. It wasn't quite as "dotty" as I had hoped but that probably didn't look quite realistic enough in the end. Its just nice to know that Kirby's work was an influence on that effect.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    One "gag"/line that hasn't been mentioned... and tom/mrfusion, thanks for reminding me if it with your probably in-house name for them... the attack on Jumbo (flying dragon beasts) in the style of jona and the whale. HILARIOUS! And visually wonderful.

Also I was semi-spoiled on thanos being the real enemy by a guy ahead of me in line at fcbd today. However, I'm not a marvel guy so I didn't really know what it meant.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    And to think Clark Gregg was in talks to be in Iron Man 3... nuts!

Oh well.

*Thwip Thwip*
  • Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    Loved it. It was awesome.

Overall, what I loved most is that it managed to combine straight up fun with a serious story. I laughed like crazy, and it was still an awesome action slugfest.

I wanna see it again.

And yeah, Hulk vs. Loki was probably the best moment for me.

Other than the promise of more Thanos, that is.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    And yeah, Hulk vs. Loki was probably the best moment for me.
    Hulk has no time for your monologuing.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    The list is now:

1. Avengers
    2. Spidey 2
    3. X2
    4. Dark Knight
    5. Iron Man

That was a nice 8 year run as my favorite comic movie of all time by Spidey 2 and it took a great movie to do it.

I guess Whedon and Penn said "Alright fanboys you want more Agent Coulson? Here's a whole bunch of Agent Coulson! Now we are going to kill him!" And they gave him a great exit "Oh. That's what that does." and made his death matter especially with a dick move by Fury.

Hulk/Ruffalo gets best comedy performance in a super-hero flick. Can they retconn this Hulk in the last Hulk movie. I liked everything else about it except how the Hulk looked. Lucas does it why not Marvel/Disney.

The only thing I did not like but has more to do with the Iron Man movies in the future. I'm not buying the Tony/Pepper relationship and I am hoping that Pepper not picking up the phone when Tony was going to drop the nuke was the beginning of the end. Very minor nitpick.

The most gangsta move Chris Evans can make now is that since he owns Human Torch and Cap is for him to audition for the reboot of the FF and do the Torch again. "I own both of these mothereffers!"

• Options
    EtriganBloodEtriganBlood Posts: 45
    edited May 2012
    With Ant-man joining the avengers, we are certainly going to get ultron. However, we're also getting Thanos. So, how will the sequels work?
    A)hank makes ultron, and then is forced to teach him violence in Ant-man to fight his foe, and the avengers fight ultron (who gets a little push from thanos) in Avengers 2, which leads to Thanos in Avengers 3
    B) Hank makes ultron in ant-man, teaches him violence in Avengers 2 to fight thanos, and they fight ultron in avengers 3
    I would prefer option A, because I think using thanos is jumping the shark a bit. Think about it, the only reason Thanos gets beaten is because he LETS himself get beaten. And with the infinity gauntlet, it be like fighting GOD! How do you top that?
  • Options
    I guess Whedon and Penn said "Alright fanboys you want more Agent Coulson? Here's a whole bunch of Agent Coulson! Now we are going to kill him!" And they gave him a great exit "Oh. That's what that does." and made his death matter especially with a dick move by Fury.
    One man's dick move is another man's brilliant leadership.
    I liked everything else about it except how the Hulk looked. Lucas does it why not Marvel/Disney.
    I thought he looked perfect. And ILM animated him, so I'm not sure how "Lucas" could have done any better than his best people, including our own @mrfusion.
    The only thing I did not like but has more to do with the Iron Man movies in the future. I'm not buying the Tony/Pepper relationship and I am hoping that Pepper not picking up the phone when Tony was going to drop the nuke was the beginning of the end. Very minor nitpick.
    She just didn't hear it over the TV.

I love the Tony/Pepper relationship. I have since her first scene in Iron Man. Amazing chemistry!
  • Options
    7h0m457h0m45 Posts: 49
    Saw it yesterday and along with everyone else, LOVED it! Every character had some great moments, the HUlk/Loki thing was rediculiosly funny! I don't remember that last two Hulk movies that well but this seems to be the best the Hulk stuff there's ever been! I was curious to see how Cobie would do as Maria Hill since I've only seen here on How I Met Your Mother and couldn't really picture her as Hill but I think she did a fantastic job. And I also thought Coulson might come back at the end but guess not.

And mother f'in Thanos!! I hadn't heard about that before hand so was pretty excited to see that!

What did everyone think of the after credit scene? I thought it was funny, something I could see coming straight out of Bendis's New Avengers but I think it would of been great if Stark threw out a funny one liner right before the scene ended.
  • Options
    What did everyone think of the after credit scene? I thought it was funny, something I could see coming straight out of Bendis's New Avengers but I think it would of been great if Stark threw out a funny one liner right before the scene ended.
    I loved the lack of dialogue.

Proved that Whedon doesn't need clever dialogue to shine.

I believe this was the scene he brought them back to shoot.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    I have only this gripe, Marvel adds Coulson to the 616 to tie it in with the movie universe (a move that I like), only to see him get killed in the movie.
    Plus he's in the new Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, and voiced by Clark Gregg. I like agent Coulson, in the next movie I hope it turns out that it was an LMD that was killed and not the real guy.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I saw the movie and like almost everyone else I loved it. There are so many earned moments that are fantastic it is hard to believe. A perfect example is the helicarrier. A lesser film may have just cut to the carrier flying in the air. This film takes a moment to show you this thing is freaking awesome look how awesome it is. I loved the first 45 minutes of Captain America, but the last half was a let down in tone for me. If they had taken one tiny sequence in this movie and expanded on it with Nazis that movie would have been so much better.

I also want to give Marvel Studio some credit for not getting cheap with the ending. Iron Man 1 felt cheapened by lack luster ending. The final battle felt big, bold, and worth every dollar put into it.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I liked everything else about it except how the Hulk looked. Lucas does it why not Marvel/Disney.
    I thought he looked perfect in this movie. And ILM animated him, so I'm not sure how "Lucas" could have done any better than his best people, including our own @mrfusion.

Actually when I said I didnt like how the Hulk looked I was referring to the last Hulk in "The Incredible Hulk" movie with Ed Norton. This one was the best. More monstrous and well...hulking. Perfect. So it would be cool if they took Avenger Hulk and put him in that movie. Unfortunately that is a pipe dream.

Hopefully we will be hearing from Mr. Fusion on the show soon.

• Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    I loved the lack of dialogue.

Proved that Whedon doesn't need clever dialogue to shine.

I believe this was the scene he brought them back to shoot.
    ...there was a post-credit scene? I thought there was only the Thanos mid-credit scene.
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    ...there was a post-credit scene? I thought there was only the Thanos mid-credit scene.
    not in the UK. In fact according to BleedingCool it wasn't actually filmed until the same week as themUK fan showing I attended.
  • Options
    7h0m457h0m45 Posts: 49
    edited May 2012

Yep, there is another one after the credits with the team.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    not in the UK. In fact according to BleedingCool it wasn't actually filmed until the same week as themUK fan showing I attended.
    Balls.
    Well, that's what I get for bragging to everyone back in the States...
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    With Ant-man joining the avengers, we are certainly going to get ultron. However, we're also getting Thanos. So, how will the sequels work?
    A)hank makes ultron, and then is forced to teach him violence in Ant-man to fight his foe, and the avengers fight ultron (who gets a little push from thanos) in Avengers 2, which leads to Thanos in Avengers 3
    B) Hank makes ultron in ant-man, teaches him violence in Avengers 2 to fight thanos, and they fight ultron in avengers 3
    I would prefer option A, because I think using thanos is jumping the shark a bit. Think about it, the only reason Thanos gets beaten is because he LETS himself get beaten. And with the infinity gauntlet, it be like fighting GOD! How do you top that?
    again, i'm not a marvel guy, but after just reading this, what whedon wants for the next one... i would think something like DC's identity crisis storyline would be more like what he's going to do. has there been a comparable marvel story?
  • Options
    I hope this movie lights a fire under DC/Warner Bros. to do a JLA movie.
  • Options
    I started reading comics in 2008 after I saw Iron Man. 4 years later my life is very different due to this hobby and seeing the Avengers movie today, with it being as good as it is, was a great way to celebrate my love for the Marvel Universe and comics in general. I love you guys and this board and I thank you for all the great discussions.

Only small thing I want to add to the movie is Johansen blew me away with her performance. Everyone else was top notch as well.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    One of the taglines for the Avengers was that they were together for the threats they couldn't take on separately. This movie really felt like that was exactly what they were doing. It had that big, epic feel that a movie like this needs.
  • Options
    I saw the movie and like almost everyone else I loved it. There are so many earned moments that are fantastic it is hard to believe. A perfect example is the helicarrier. A lesser film may have just cut to the carrier flying in the air. This film takes a moment to show you this thing is freaking awesome look how awesome it is.
    Showing us how cool it was thought the eyes of Cap & Banner really made that scene work.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I thought he looked perfect in this movie. And ILM animated him, so I'm not sure how "Lucas" could have done any better than his best people, including our own @mrfusion.

Actually when I said I didnt like how the Hulk looked I was referring to the last Hulk in "The Incredible Hulk" movie with Ed Norton. This one was the best. More monstrous and well...hulking. Perfect. So it would be cool if they took Avenger Hulk and put him in that movie. Unfortunately that is a pipe dream.

Hopefully we will be hearing from Mr. Fusion on the show soon.

Ah. Once again my reading comprehension skills fail me.

That makes so much more sense.

Sorry.
  • Options
    I thought it quiet funny that he mentioned that it wasn't until the end that he found out the name of the man in the tin suit was called Iron Man...
    Is your friend from the moon? Who doesn't recognize Iron Man these days? Of course, there are a LOT of people that think TITANIC was purely fictional, which kind of puts a fork in the whole "faith in humanity" thing.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who was kind of glad to see Coulson go? He served his purpose foreshadowing the upcoming movies and provided a good "red shirt" death. There's just something about that actor that is too smug.
    I'm not one to step on other's' opinions, as each is entitled to his own... but...

WRONG. ;)