Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Wonder Woman (spoilers)-- Seen it? Discuss it here.

13»

Comments

• mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Nitpick all you want but this is a gigantic success. It's the first time DC has been able to pair together a good movie and good box office. Hopefully DC will see this and remove Snyder from his leadership role and put Patty Jenkins in charge of the universe.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    The articles that are still trickling out about this movies are interesting (for both good & ridiculous reasons). Here's one I stumbled upon that's pretty good.

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/wonder-woman-little-mermaid-references/amp

Then again, it could just be because my 4yo has The Little Mermaid on a loop on the car DVD player.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Wife and I took the kids today and we all really enjoyed it.
    Perhaps I'm bias toward Whedon (& didn't read the script), but calling him a "sexist" sounds ridiculously judgmental. How much has he done to equal right?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5947cf62e4b01eab7a2f19db/amp
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited June 2017
    While the WW movie is doing great, the comic book seems to be heading into a creative tailspin. The twice a month schedule seems to be too much (??)

Rucka will finish up soon with issue 25.
    Shea Fontana will go from #26-30 (2.5 months)
    James Robinson will go for six months starting with #31
    It seems that another writer will pick up the book after that.

http://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-new-creative-team-dc-comics/

• DARDAR Posts: 1,128
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

While the WW movie is doing great, the comic book seems to be heading into a creative tailspin. The twice a month schedule seems to be too much (??)

Rucka will finish up soon with issue 25.
    Shea Fontana will go from #26-30 (2.5 months)
    James Robinson will go for six months starting with #31
    It seems that another writer will pick up the book after that.

http://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-new-creative-team-dc-comics/

I wasn't impressed with this at all.
  • Wonder Woman was great. I really liked it a lot.

Unfortunately, every studio is now working on their made-by-checklist movie to capitalize on it, without understanding the REAL reasons why people responded to it so positively.

Exotic Female SuperHero Protagonist.
    American Hunk Costar.
    Historical War Setting.
    Speed Ramping.
    Viloence.
    Ties to Mythology.

Not looking forward to this, but it WILL happen.
    Tonebone said:

Wonder Woman was great. I really liked it a lot.

Unfortunately, every studio is now working on their made-by-checklist movie to capitalize on it, without understanding the REAL reasons why people responded to it so positively.

American Hunk Costar.
    Historical War Setting.
    Speed Ramping.
    Viloence.
    Ties to Mythology.

I agree. What do you wish the studios would takaway from Wonder Woman's success ?

Tonebone said:

American Hunk Costar.
    Historical War Setting.
    Speed Ramping.
    Viloence.
    Ties to Mythology.

I agree. What do you wish the studios would takaway from Wonder Woman's success ?
    Don't worry about the whole pie; just worry about 1 piece at a time.
    FINALLY got to see it. Overall, great movie. There was a lot of concerns with Gadot playing Diana, but I thought she filled the role perfectly.

The biggest misstep I found was what my initial concerns were; Captain America: First Avenger influence. Could have been because I just watched that movie two days prior, but every note that was basically the same took me out of the movie.
  • Tonebone said:

American Hunk Costar.
    Historical War Setting.
    Speed Ramping.
    Viloence.
    Ties to Mythology.

I wish they could see the forest beyond the trees... that the movie had heart, a moral center, characters who showed, not tell-ed... It didn't try to redefine the superhero genre... it just set out to tell a great story.

Every second of the movie was true to the spirit of Wonder Woman... None of it betrayed the original comics, the tv show, or the general memetic idea of who the world at large thinks she is. It held true to all of that. It didn't go out of its way to make her "grimmer" or "more serious". In fact, the whole point of the movie was that, in the face of the absolute barbarism of the outside world, she remained true and even more steadfast that love and compassion was the only refuge.

Loved her on the Superfriends? You'll love this. Loved Lynda Carter's version? You'll love it, too. Loved the Diana Prince version? It's all here. And yet, it's told simply, beautifully, and artfully.

It served to broaden the appeal of the character, while Man of Steel only succeeded in narrowing it.

Is it the best movie ever? No. The best Super Hero movie? No.. but it's better than a lot of them, Marvel or DC (actually all of DC's)...

Was the third act a little weak? Sure, but forgivable. I didn't even care at that point, because getting there was such a pleasant surprise.

A follow up to Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice?!

https://moviepilot.com/posts/4306457/amp
    Matt said:

A follow up to Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice?!

https://moviepilot.com/posts/4306457/amp

She's clueless
    Just when I thought the last bit of flesh was ripped off the bone, I found there's still more to tear.

http://mondoweiss.net/2017/07/military-industrial-complex/amp/

https://www.bustle.com/p/as-a-woman-with-a-facial-disfigurement-this-wonder-woman-villain-pisses-me-off-66984/amp

Am I the only one who 1.) doesn't go into a movie with a personal agenda, and 2.) view movies as just that, a form of entertainment; nothing more?

M
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    How do you make a movie that does not offend anyone?

At a minimum, if you have whites, men, Americans, disabled, women portrayed as too militaristic, women in sterotypical roles, too few women, too few minorities, minorities in sterotypical roles, generic European characters, characters from "moderate" Arab states, actors from Israel, not enough LBQT represtentation, or any combination of the above - you are opening yourself up to being considered offensive.

How can you be creative with all this?
    I think we just need to collectively ignore these complainers. I'm sure people are out there complaining about everything that I like, I usually just ignore it. Although I occasionally, like @Matt, support putting a spotlight on the extreme ones so as to possibly shame others from being derps.
    edited July 2017

I think we just need to collectively ignore these complainers. I'm sure people are out there complaining about everything that I like, I usually just ignore it. Although I occasionally, like @Matt, support putting a spotlight on the extreme ones so as to possibly shame others from being derps.

I actually agree with diversity (provided it's not done in a pandering manner). I recall watching Wonder Woman and seeing the diversity in Amazons on Paradise Island. Even the Howling Commandos-lite had a diverse composition, but there were apparently criticism the cast wasn't diverse enough.

I get everyone thinks their blights, causes, and POVs are more of a concern then the next person's. I try to be mindful of those to make myself a better person & teach my kids how to be mindful as well. There are times, however, I feel like everything is turned into a global crisis.

Then again, maybe it's just me for not having conviction on a cause. I mean, those women only showing of Wonder Woman don't mean anything to me, but I completely understand the complaints of a double standard that they're stirring.

M
    I've decided to draw some lines. After Marvel was hassled for not casting Netflix's Iron Fist with an Asian (in spite of Asians being stereotyped for decades as martial artists), I suppose I have become a little bit cynical towards the #outrageculture's perpetuity.
  • The thing is... MOST of the outrage at "not diverse enough" roles in movies, etc. are people being outraged ON BEHALF of other peoples.

Iron fist isn't Asian? I'm outraged on behalf of the Asian people. All martial arts experts should be Asian! I am white, and speaking/thinking for them. And not stereotyping, at all.

Meanwhile, a lot of Asians are probably thinking," Finally, a white guy is the martial arts expert. We need more Asian interior decorators in movies."
    Box office update:

According to Box Office Mojo, when comparing the DCEU films so far (Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, and Wonder Woman), this blockbuster has just beaten them all for highest domestic gross in less than half the time the other films were in theatres, with the fewest number of screens, while costing the least to produce.

"All the world is waiting for you..."

Box office update:

According to Box Office Mojo, when comparing the DCEU films so far (Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, and Wonder Woman), this blockbuster has just beaten them all for highest domestic gross in less than half the time the other films were in theatres, with the fewest number of screens, while costing the least to produce.

When I first read your quote, I was wondering what Threes Company had to do with this news...then I realized what you were going for.
    Matt said:

Box office update:

When I first read your quote, I was wondering what Threes Company had to do with this news...then I realized what you were going for.
    Where's yo mind at, @Matt?

Come and knock on our door... (Come and knock on our door)
    We've been waiting for you.... (We've been waiting for you)
    Where the kisses are hers and hers and his,
    Three's company too.

Matt said:

Box office update:

Where's yo mind at, @Matt?

Come and knock on our door... (Come and knock on our door)
    We've been waiting for you.... (We've been waiting for you)
    Where the kisses are hers and hers and his,
    Three's company too.

Chrissy & Janet playtime!