Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Dr. Doom: Green Lantern

I was out of town for a 2 day training. Earlier in the day I noticed a comic shop a few miles from the training center and went there during lunch (it's​ always exciting to visit out of town comicshops). I noticed an issue of Green Lantern and Space Ghost and thought about the heroes swapping ring and gauntlets and how SG couldn't get the ring to work and then I went on shopping. Anyway.... I'm driving home and my mind wandered back to GL and will power and heroes who could use the ring. Many heroes have the will power to do this (Reed Richards, Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Captain America, Daredevil, Dr Doom....). Wait a minute. Doom would kick ass with a green ring. His will is far beyond meer mortals (just ask him). Purple Man could not manipulate Doom at point blank (Emperor Doom). A yellow ring (fear) or orange ring (avarance) crossed my mind for Doom to use but will power is more at his core (no pun intended). As my mind began creating feats only GL-Doom could conceive I realized I was geeking out in traffic and needed to share. Unfortunately, my wife would probably not share my enthusiasm. She also wouldn't dispute my list of heroes or try a no-prize defense to explain Killgraves epic fail against Doom.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    popestu said:

Thank you for your time.

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    That could only be rivaled by Hulk with a red ring. He would literally destroy everything. There is nothing that could even slow him down.
  • CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729

Track this down then. You'll love it.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

I concur
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    popestu said:

I was out of town for a 2 day training. Earlier in the day I noticed a comic shop a few miles from the training center and went there during lunch (it's​ always exciting to visit out of town comicshops). I noticed an issue of Green Lantern and Space Ghost and thought about the heroes swapping ring and gauntlets and how SG couldn't get the ring to work and then I went on shopping. Anyway.... I'm driving home and my mind wandered back to GL and will power and heroes who could use the ring. Many heroes have the will power to do this (Reed Richards, Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Captain America, Daredevil, Dr Doom....). Wait a minute. Doom would kick ass with a green ring. His will is far beyond meer mortals (just ask him). Purple Man could not manipulate Doom at point blank (Emperor Doom). A yellow ring (fear) or orange ring (avarance) crossed my mind for Doom to use but will power is more at his core (no pun intended). As my mind began creating feats only GL-Doom could conceive I realized I was geeking out in traffic and needed to share. Unfortunately, my wife would probably not share my enthusiasm. She also wouldn't dispute my list of heroes or try a no-prize defense to explain Killgraves epic fail against Doom.

Thank you for your time.

I'm not 100% certain Parker could yield a ring. Admittedly, I haven't read his books since Brand New Day, but the Web-Head I'm most familiar with had constant doubts about what he could do.
  • popestupopestu Posts: 782
    mwhitt80 said:

That could only be rivaled by Hulk with a red ring. He would literally destroy everything. There is nothing that could even slow him down.

Doom would. I don't know how since I am not Doom.

I no longer own it. One of the better cross overs, though.
    Matt said:

popestu said:

Thank you for your time.

I'm not 100% certain Parker could yield a ring. Admittedly, I haven't read his books since Brand New Day, but the Web-Head I'm most familiar with had constant doubts about what he could do.
    popestu said:

Matt said:

popestu said:

Thank you for your time.

I think he could, with the right motivation.
    popestu said:

mwhitt80 said:

Doom would. I don't know how since I am not Doom.
    Although, a smart Banner Hulk would make it more interesting.
    popestu said:

popestu said:

Matt said:

popestu said:

Thank you for your time.

I think he could, with the right motivation.
    Surrounded with more moments of doubt then of the will power for those moments. The Fire Lord moment being more rage driven. I'm not familiar with the Lantern Corp enough, but if ring-slinging is similar to being a Jedi, rage (and/or fear) isn't how it's used.
    Good point. I wonder how Guy Gardner plays it (full disclosure Guy was a red lantern at one point)? Guy obviously has will but it may be supported by anger. I think in DBZ it's called "righteous anger".
    edited June 2017
    I trolled thw interweb and came up with this...marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Glossary:Wil

"Spider-Man has a strong Force of Will, completely free of evil and temptation. For years, he has struggled to balance his life as a student and his superhero duties. He is able to emerge from defeat even stronger. His mental strength is also shown when he successfully wrestles control of nanobots from Doctor Octopus. His willpower is so strong that he has been considered as the greatest of all the Spider-Totems in the Multiverse by Ben Reilly of Earth-94.[11]"

If Ben Reilly of Earth-94 doesn't have clout, I don't know who does.
    popestu said:

I trolled thw interweb and came up with this...marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Glossary:Wil

"Spider-Man has a strong Force of Will, completely free of evil and temptation. For years, he has struggled to balance his life as a student and his superhero duties. He is able to emerge from defeat even stronger. His mental strength is also shown when he successfully wrestles control of nanobots from Doctor Octopus. His willpower is so strong that he has been considered as the greatest of all the Spider-Totems in the Multiverse by Ben Reilly of Earth-94.[11]"

If Ben Reilly of Earth-94 doesn't have clout, I don't know who does.

Not the Spider-Totem again. I don't have the will power to go through that again.
    JMS almost had one of the definitive, iconic runs on Spider-Man. Totems, OMD (Joe Q's meddling) and Sins Past are each excusable on their own. It's when you put together this triad-of-atrocious that his run falls short of greatness.
    If you skip OMD and SP, Peter, MJ, and Aunt Fukin' May are well written. I have never liked Aunt May. Never. I liked her w/JMS.
    popestu said:

JMS almost had one of the definitive, iconic runs on Spider-Man. Totems, OMD (Joe Q's meddling) and Sins Past are each excusable on their own. It's when you put together this triad-of-atrocious that his run falls short of greatness.
    If you skip OMD and SP, Peter, MJ, and Aunt Fukin' May are well written. I have never liked Aunt May. Never. I liked her w/JMS.

Don't forget the whole "The Other" nonsense. His run on Spidey always felt like a chore to read & seemed like he really just wanted to write Dr. Strange.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    Matt said:

popestu said:

Don't forget the whole "The Other" nonsense. His run on Spidey always felt like a chore to read & seemed like he really just wanted to write Dr. Strange.
    Agreed. JMS gets put up on a pedestal... but as far as I'm concerned, the crap he did to Peter (and his supporting cast) are inexcusable. I'm not saying there wasn't some good stuff to come out of all those too many issues, but over all it WAS a chore to slog through.

PS. I like the Doom with a ring idea. Is there anything similar in the Marvel U that requires will power to control. How does Doctor Spectrum's power prism work? Zodiac Key?
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Hex said:

JMS gets put up on a pedestal... but as far as I'm concerned, the crap he did to Peter (and his supporting cast) are inexcusable. I'm not saying there wasn't some good stuff to come out of all those too many issues, but over all it WAS a chore to slog through.

Truth! He is one of the reasons I dropped comics back then.