Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

DC Universe "digital experience"

Comments

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mphil said:

If you preordered, the app is available now and you can log in and use it (for Android at least).

Oooo... Any reporting on the comics catalog yet? (Or your own observations, if you've got it?)
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I think it's pretty good! All of the DCAU shows are there, a lot of the movies as well (including the recently released Death of Superman film). None of the big hollywood movies from the last 10 years though (no Nolan, no Snyderverse).

Comics catalog seems pretty solid. I searched for a handful of things and the hit rate was ~50% which isn't too bad. I'm going to be reading Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing (which I've never read) shortly.
  • @Mphil I love that idea! Especially for discussion shows on something like Batman 50. I hope they do something like that. It should be a cost efficient way for them to have an extra show.
    I'm rewatching Young Justice as we speak. If you're at all on the fence I would give it a try, you get 7 days trial so nothing to lose. For me having shows/tv *and* the comics makes it worth it. I would maybe do it for the comics alone... there's some good series on here.

Supposedly in October they are adding the ability to purchase comics from their entire digital library.
  • David_D said:

Oooo... Any reporting on the comics catalog yet? (Or your own observations, if you've got it?)

In some cases a complete run is available, in others, just the first issue. For example, there's the complete run from Action Comics of a Brainiac story (from about 8 years ago), but then there's only issue #1 of Flash: Rebirth available.
  • And...
    "Can't find the books you're looking for?
    The full DC Comics digital library will be available for purchase in October."
    I would describe the comics catalog as "wide but shallow". There are a lot of different titles, but not a lot that have complete runs, from what I've seen.

I read online that they are adding more content at the official launch (the 15th), and that what's currently there is leftover from the beta period. We'll see what that means soon...
    The app is a bit buggy from my experience. It strangely makes the catalog look *smaller* than it really is. For example, when you browse categories there are less things shown than what you get from search. If you go to the animated movies it shows only a few, but when you search for specific titles like "Gotham by Gaslight", it's available. So I guess they haven't properly categorized everything yet.
    Has anyone else watched Titans yet? Maybe needs its own thread.
    mphil said:

You can start a discussion whenever you'd like, of course. I would suggest, if you wanted to have a spoiler-y conversation about Titans, to make a separate thread for it. And I imagine that would make for the best discussion, so that might be the way to go.

In the meantime, regarding the DC service. When you have a chance, have you noticed whether the comics collection on it got better this month? Or is it still pretty much the same as it was at launch?
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    David_D said:

In the meantime, regarding the DC service. When you have a chance, have you noticed whether the comics collection on it got better this month? Or is it still pretty much the same as it was at launch?

An old friend of mine now works as a content editor for DC’s digital service. He says the plan is to rotate the comics selection quarterly. Some things will always be there, but some things, holiday-related material for example, may pop up for just a couple of weeks.
    David_D said:

mphil said:

I haven't noticed much of a difference. You'd have to look at the raw numbers to get a better idea. They are highlighting some Teen Titan books right now, so I assume those were added. Last month there were a lot of Batman stuff for Batman day. So I'm guessing whenever there is a character they want to promote, there will be books added for that.

Supposedly they are going to start selling their entire catalog soonish in the app. Assuming that does happen, I don't think the selection in the main catalog will get much better, as they'd prefer you to buy the individual issues.

For me the comics are a bonus, I bought the service mostly for the tv/movie catalog. So I've been enjoying the comics they have. But for people who have Marvel Unlimited (I don't), I know many of them are disappointed with DC's offering.
    mphil said:

David_D said:

mphil said:

I haven't noticed much of a difference. You'd have to look at the raw numbers to get a better idea. They are highlighting some Teen Titan books right now, so I assume those were added. Last month there were a lot of Batman stuff for Batman day. So I'm guessing whenever there is a character they want to promote, there will be books added for that.

Supposedly they are going to start selling their entire catalog soonish in the app. Assuming that does happen, I don't think the selection in the main catalog will get much better, as they'd prefer you to buy the individual issues.

For me the comics are a bonus, I bought the service mostly for the tv/movie catalog. So I've been enjoying the comics they have. But for people who have Marvel Unlimited (I don't), I know many of them are disappointed with DC's offering.
    Thanks for that. (And to @nweathington for his scoop, as well). As someone who doesn't care about the shows, and just wants to comics access, it sounds like this one is not for me.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I have the service on my Roku and I started watching Young Justice. It was wonky to start but got better. Unfortunately my tablet is too old to use the app which is crazy so I can't get into the comics yet.
    Young Justice Outsiders released the first 3 episodes.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Titans has shown up on Netflix outside the US. So definitely don't get your hopes up for the service going international.
    Reports are indicating that Titans has been a success for the service: https://www.cbr.com/titans-popularity-grew-peaked-season-finale/

Hopefully that means their subscriptions are where they were hoping...
    Good news for those who were holding out waiting for more comics, they are doubling the size of their comics library: https://www.cbr.com/dc-universe-double-comic-books-subscribers/

They've also included a lot more recent titles than they used to; there's a lot of Rebirth era books for example. I haven't used Marvel Unlimited so I can't really compare it to that.

The first episode of Doom Patrol is out. And it's amazing.

• VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    edited March 2019
    I saw the first three episodes of Doom Patrol and am pleasantly surprised to find I'm enjoying it. It keeps a lot of the weirdness I associate with Morrison but thankfully wraps it all up with a focus on the characters and is laying down arcs for them (except for one character who's mostly just a string of weirdness/jerkiness, but will probably become the cool fan fave). I also am very pleasantly surprised to find I'm enjoying what they're doing with Cyborg since for me he's never lived up to his potential as a character ever since Johns put him on the JL. Although I would've preferred keeping Cyborg as a founding member of this streaming version of the Titans (with Raven and Starfire), this version has more in common with the original Wolfman-Perez version than the mostly personality-free (what does he do when he's not superheroing?) New 52 character in the Justice League (comic or movie).

I can't get with his costume. There's barely any cyborg parts on this Cyborg. Usually his entire neck and chin are metal. Here it's just a piece on the side of his face that looks like it could fall off. It looks like he's wearing a Cyborg Halloween costume.

Otherwise, love the show 😀 Rita Farr is my fave. Love how 50s posh she is.

Episode 3 was my favorite so far. Loved the puppet show

• VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    The original Wolfman Perez Raven/Starfire/Cyborg are some of my favorites of all time so I'm just glad he's not as robotic as he became later in the JL, but I see what you mean. I agree on Rita Farr, but would love to see her do more if you know what I mean (don't want to spoil).
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207
    DC universe is on sale, .80$ for the first month for Batman's 80th anniversary. I'm unlikely to keep up with it, but I'll give it a shot for less than a buck.

Apparently there was also a bunch of stuff available free yesterday, but I missed that.

"The first month of DC UNIVERSE will cost only $0.80 cents for new members who sign up between March 29, 2019, 12:01 EST and April 4, 2019 11:59pm EST"

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/03/22/dc-universe-celebrates-80-years-of-batman-with-one-day-stream-free-event
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207

Looks like dc is expanding the comics available on the service to everything over a year old.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/29/dc-universe-offers-access-to-whole-comic-library/

• DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Glad to see it. It was one thing that I didn’t like initially about the service
    edited March 2019
    I hate to be skeptical, but I feel like I am waiting to make sure that this is being reported accurately and is for real. I hope it is. But some of the initial reporting on this service, especially when it came to the comics catalogue, was dodgy. But, here's hoping!
  • i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
    Here's the skinny from The Hollywood Reporter:
    Described as “the ultimate DC digital comics library,” the addition of what’s called “many thousands [of] single issue comics published over 80 years” will be an ongoing process, with all future DC single issues being added to the service 12 months after print publication, starting in April. The significant upgrade to the digital comics portfolio on the service — which launched last year with a curated selection of single issues — will be added with no price increase, according to the company.
    So yeah, it looks like it will be a slow and steady stream of releases, similar to when Marvel Unlimited started adding further backissues to its catalog after the service launched.
    edited April 2019

Here's the skinny from The Hollywood Reporter:

Described as “the ultimate DC digital comics library,” the addition of what’s called “many thousands [of] single issue comics published over 80 years” will be an ongoing process, with all future DC single issues being added to the service 12 months after print publication, starting in April. The significant upgrade to the digital comics portfolio on the service — which launched last year with a curated selection of single issues — will be added with no price increase, according to the company.

So yeah, it looks like it will be a slow and steady stream of releases, similar to when Marvel Unlimited started adding further backissues to its catalog after the service launched.

Awesome.

This is the sort of thing I was waiting on. I would love, say, a year from now, to go down the rabbit hole of catching up on all of Justice League since the New52. Or to be able to pick away at some old '80s gems. Things like that. That is something, now this many years into building, that Marvel Unlimited is great for. Especially as they continue to fill in esoteric gaps all the time.

Soon, on paper, and awaiting me in the cloud, I will be surrounded by funnybooks I am not making time to read. More arriving all the time. In waves.

(We live in heady times)
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    This'll be great for old farts like me who want to look at some of the things they'd planned to released in omnibus/collected form but didn't (Giffen-era Legion, for example...which was solicited but I believe has been cancelled now).

I'll be interested to see what "whole comic library" actually ends up encompassing...