Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Universe "digital experience"

124»

Comments

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Right now I do Hulu for my live tv. Netflix and Amazon Prime. I buy enough on Amazon that it is more than worth it. And Netflix always has enough interesting docs to keep me watching
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Torchsong said:

Currently subscribing to:

DCUniverse - I love it and will use it right up to its presumed inevitable cancellation or morphing into the Time Warner service.

Crunchyroll - Still my favorite place to go for anime, although I may end up dumping it in favor of amazon prime

Amazon Prime - I get the streaming service along with the monthly subscription. Might as well use it.

Netflix - May dump at some point for lack of use. It has some things I enjoy, but tends to lose out when compared to the other three services.

It is weird that Crunchyroll was moved under the same roof as DCUniverse (WarnerBros Digital) for 2 months then moved back to WarnerMedia. For all their talk of eliminating the feudalism at Warners, I suspect it's more deeply ingrained than AT&T realised.
  • Options

Tonebone said:

The Swamp Thing series has already been canceled thanks to an apparent clerical error.

Though there has also been scuttlebutt that the DC streaming service will be folded into an overall Warner Communications streaming service.

“Accounting error”? Riiiiiight. The NC state legislature has been working to push out the film industry—once a large money-generator for our state, you’re welcome Georgia—ever since the power shifted parties. They’re much more interested in giving those tax breaks to the oil industry.
    Apparently, this was misreported. The NC Film Board says their yearly budget is $13 million. So, it was some other reason.
    According to their website, it’s $31 million, with any money left over from one year carrying over to the next. That’s where the confusion set in. They currently have over $67 million in the fund, but most of it is already allocated to current/future projects.

And just for context, the current grant program, which puts a cap on how much money the state can give out in incentives, replaced the previous tax incentive program, which had no cap, in 2015.
    Ha. Yes, Meant 31. My selective dyselxia got the better of me. :)
  • Options
    VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    edited July 2019

I just watched the 9th episode of Swamp Thing and boy it depresses me that this show got canceled because of lack of money. It’s the best adaptation of Swamp Thing on any screen. I know that’s not hard to do, but I also think this series is really well done as well and always compelling.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    mwhitt80 said:

The subscription numbers probably aren't what they wanted; unless you own the entire Disney, fox, and abc library i would imagine any *new service is struggling. I'm cancelling Netflix next month, and my Hulu is connected with my Spotify. A lot of people are like me and looking to cut back on streaming services not add to the cost. I couldn't justify getting the DC app.

I already am paying almost 35 bucks a month for streaming.I have Hulu,Netflix,VRV and Highspots Network. I would love to watch Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing but can't afford another ,what is the DC streamng service 8 or 10 bucks, service. So I am waiting for the shows to hit DVD and I will buy them and support them that way. Until they hit DVD I will have to ask my buddy Brian Torrens to send me copies of the shows.

Just like how my girlfriend is trying to figure out which of the streaming services she has that she is dropping once Disney+ hits. She is a huge Disney nut and has to have Disney+. But she already has Netflix,Hulu,VRV and Philo. I am betting she drops VRV,which she only uses for Boomerang and NickSPLAT,once Disney+ starts.
  • Options
    Am I the only one that subscribes to VRV? It is a streaming service bundle deal. You get Crunchy Roll,Boomerang,NickSplat,Shudder and 3 or 4 other services for 9 or 10 bucks a month. I got it for Boomerang and Shudder. And love it.

Shudder is a great horror based streaming service.That not only has the new Joe Bob Briggs Last Drive In show. But also carries a bunch of cult movies and Japanese and Hong kong cinema.

Boomerang is pretty much a streaming service with a lot of the classic Hanna Barbara series. They also have a few exclusives like the new Scooby Doo and Guess who show. Each week it has a new episode with Scooby and the gang teaming up with celebs. Like the old New Scooby Doo Movies series. I know that before season 1 is over Scooby is teaming up with Wonder Woman,Batman and Robin and Steve Urkel. The new episode from Last week had Scooby teaming up with Ricky Gervais.

NickSPLAt is kind of janky. Right now all it has is 6 different Nicktoons. But they are least carry every episode of the Nicktoons they have on Nicksplat.

It is odd I hear people talking about Shudder,Boomerang and Crunchyroll often. But I never see ads for VRV. And it is a great deal for the price.

Makes me wish more of the smaller streaming services would offer bundle deals.
  • Options

I just watched the 9th episode of Swamp Thing and boy it depresses me that this show got canceled because of lack of money. It’s the best adaptation of Swamp Thing on any screen. I know that’s not hard to do, but I also think this series is really well done as well and always compelling.

It was a little surreal to watch the episode "The Anatomy Lesson" and I knew exactly what was about to transpire. I had to bite my tongue so as not to spoil it for my wife. Such a good twist to an already compelling story. Swamp Thing is the only thing I've watched on DC Universe.... and I feel I got my money's worth. A damn shame it's cancelled.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

@dubbat138 I have never heard of VRV before you mentioned it. I subscribed just to boomerang because it is an annual fee of $40.00.

I don't watch horror movies, shudder isn't my thing, but I was almost dragged into trying it out when I learned Joe Bob Briggs has a show on it. Back when he was on monster vision I would watch his parts, and skip the movie.

• Options
    I had no clue Boomerang had a flat yearly fee.

Joe Bob's new show is great. This time the lady he got to be the mail girl is a legit horror and comic fan.

But yea it seems like very few people know about VRV. I found out about it cause at another forum half the posters were already paying for Crunchyroll and Boomerang. And they started talking about VRV.

• Options
    Well the reason you don't hear much about VRV is you are about to hear a lot about HBO Max.

Like VRV, HBO Max is from the Otter Media team at WarnerMedia, and will have the Warner channels from VRV on it (Crunchyroll, Boomerang etc)

As Doom Patrol Season 2 is going to be HBO Max too, it's not hard to imagine that DC Universe is not long for this world. Unlike Crunchyroll, VRV, DC Universe and HBO Max are US-only, so seems unlikely AT&T would want all of them in the long term.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited August 2019
    Interesting, though not at all surprising, report from Forbes on DC under AT&T.
  • Options

Interesting, though not at all surprising, report from Forbes on DC under AT&T.

Bear in mind that this is a Forbes Contributor post, not a Forbes Staff report. So essentially a glorified blog post that gets paid per click.

That being said, a decent enough round up of links to articles from actual news sites.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Wife signed us up for Shudder while we were in San Diego. It's not bad. She's more the horror nut than I am, but that have a bunch of Asian films in there as well so I'm willing to give it a month or three in court.

Frankly, I'll follow Doom Patrol wherever it goes if they can match Season 1.

Crunchyroll I've really enjoyed and it's stupid cheap. As long as that doesn't change I doubt I'll be dropping them anytime soon.
  • Options
    Since Shudder got dropped from VRV I cancelled VRV and just paid for a year of SHudder. I love Doom Patrol but gonna wait on Blu Ray to see season 2.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    For those interested, they reduced the price to $59.99. This is $10 less than Marvel Unlimited. Includes the complete back catalog of DC comics (1 year behind current) and of course many movies and tv shows. A pretty great bargain at the moment, imo.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Uh, and I as I say that they then remove 18 movies from the service! That was like half of what was available. This includes all of the 1970s Superman titles. I didn't count but I think there's only a couple of non-animated films now.

It's really sad but the feeling is that they just aren't making enough money on the service, so can't afford to keep content on.

The comics content is still great. But being a year behind is too much of comics is all it has. They need to drop it to 6 months like Marvel Unlimited.