Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

DC Universe "digital experience"

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited April 2019
    Torchsong said:

This'll be great for old farts like me who want to look at some of the things they'd planned to released in omnibus/collected form but didn't (Giffen-era Legion, for example...which was solicited but I believe has been cancelled now).

I'll be interested to see what "whole comic library" actually ends up encompassing...

The impression I got from talking with a friend of mine who works for DC’s digital department (this was six months ago, so things may have changed), was that they have access to whatever has been digitized by DC’s production department. So anything produced after 1994 or so, when DC switched to digital coloring, should be fair game at some point. Anything before that, if it hasn’t been digitally recolored for a print collection, is not going to be available, at least until such time as the production department gets to it. I have the feeling that the production department isn't going to have the resources available to devote a lot of manpower towards digitizing comics they aren't planning on physically collecting in a book at this point. Though the way things are heading, that could certainly change down the road.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448

Since it's April 1 I did a search for a few things that I wanted to read (Whiz Comics, DC One Million, and the silver age Metamorpho ). I didn't find any of it, which makes me think nothing has been added yet. If it's going to be a trickling I'm assuming we'll see annoucements as things roll in.

On another note, Doom Patrol continues to be excellent.

• BryanBryan Posts: 207
    edited April 2019
    https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/watchtower/coming-next-week-to-dc-univ
    DC Comics said:

In advance of our release of the full digital comics library, we will be testing our system by releasing all currently digitized comic books from the Golden Age, through the Bronze Age. NBD

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Bryan said:

https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/watchtower/coming-next-week-to-dc-univ

DC Comics said:

In advance of our release of the full digital comics library, we will be testing our system by releasing all currently digitized comic books from the Golden Age, through the Bronze Age. NBD

Now we're talking!

As per what @nweathington and others have noted, it will be interesting to see, once the existing digitized issues go up, if they might resource the continued digitizing, and continue filling in gaps, as MU has over the years. Maybe they might based on what gets traffic initially may help encourage them to, for example, get the rest of those Infinity Inc. issues online. We'll see. But that is a huge and exciting boost to the catalogue.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Still no Inferior Five that I can find, but plenty of Sensation, Showcase, and Adventure comics to keep me happy! Also Omega Men! Both versions! :D
    They are basically done filling in the back-issues. There might be one more week to go, but there's now most of the old DC catalog on the service, which is nice. I'm reading Justice Society of America (1991).
    I've been running through the Giffen-era Doom Patrol, which was one that got past me. How a Giffen-written DP with a MaGuire-drawn Metal Men backup wasn't on my regular pull list is beyond me. I must have been on something. It's great!
  • VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    edited May 2019
    Finally finished the first season of Doom Patrol.

There might be some spoilers here. I liked the first 3 episodes but by episode 7 or 8, I had grown tired of the show attempting to hide its complete lack of story with weirdness (which only works if you find it funny) and MTV Video awards-style sensibilities (lots of cursing and scatological humor meant to amuse with its only themes being decidedly sophomoric: you're perfect just the way you are, the mainstream sucks and authority sucks). These themes wouldn't feel so noticeably simplistic and out of place if the show weren't so pretentiously full of itself and thinking it was so gosh darn clever with all of its meta-commentary and self-conscious eye-winking. We get it, guys, superheroes and their tropes are silly and beneath you.

As for characterization (which I thought might be the show's strong suit) the show spent all of its time having each character rehash the same internal struggle over and over and over again.

I was assured of this repetition when I skipped over several episodes and jumped to the 13th episode (believing it would be the penultimate one) and discovered, unsurprisingly, that the characters hadnt developed or changed at all and were still stuck in the same hamster wheel of self doubt and recrimination over what they still hadn't dealt with. In this episode, watch everyone avoid talking about their particular trauma or behave like heroes, but this time they're inside a dog fart! There's a Bureau of Normalcy, and guess what? They're just the standard, evil, power hungry jerks. No interesting or nuanced characters there at all.

I assume anyone who thought the Morrison run was brilliant or finds weirdness for weirdness' sake, cursing and lots of scat/gross out humor amusing will probably enjoy this, but I thought it was awful. Save me, Swamp Thing.

I assume anyone who thought the Morrison run was brilliant or finds weirdness for weirdness' sake, cursing and lots of scat/gross out humor amusing will probably enjoy this, but I thought it was awful. Save me, Swamp Thing.

“Thought the Morrison run was brilliant”—check.
    “Finds weirdness for weirdness' sake, cursing, and lots of scat/gross out humor amusing”—nope.
    Plans on checking the show out based on the trailers and reviews—nope.
    I loved it. The Chief-centered episode alone should be up for some kind of Emmy award, reminding us that Timothy Dalton is a hell of a better actor than anyone ever gave him credit for. Hopefully he'll be around for season 2.

Thus far Titans and DP have been solid hitters, more than justifying the subscription price. And I'm REALLY looking forward to Swamp Thing and Stargirl.
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    The Swamp Thing series has already been canceled thanks to an apparent clerical error.

Though there has also been scuttlebutt that the DC streaming service will be folded into an overall Warner Communications streaming service.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868

The Swamp Thing series has already been canceled thanks to an apparent clerical error.

Though there has also been scuttlebutt that the DC streaming service will be folded into an overall Warner Communications streaming service.

They've got a lot of streaming services now, they probably should consolidate. My worry is that the bits they've got that aren't geoblocked are going to end up geoblocked just like the DC service.

“Accounting error”? Riiiiiight. The NC state legislature has been working to push out the film industry—once a large money-generator for our state, you’re welcome Georgia—ever since the power shifted parties. They’re much more interested in giving those tax breaks to the oil industry.
  • The Swamp Thing series has already been canceled thanks to an apparent clerical error.

“Accounting error”? Riiiiiight. The NC state legislature has been working to push out the film industry—once a large money-generator for our state, you’re welcome Georgia—ever since the power shifted parties. They’re much more interested in giving those tax breaks to the oil industry.
    Apparently, this was misreported. The NC Film Board says their yearly budget is $13 million. So, it was some other reason.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Was the swamp thing show good?
    The instant cancellation made me suspicious of the tax thing being the cause. I mean, there are other places they could have shot season 2. It seems more likely to me that DCU is having financial problems; perhaps they haven't gotten the subscription numbers they were hoping for. It's pretty sad for me because there is a lot to like from this service. Being able to immerse myself in all things DC is a joy as a break from the real world.
    edited June 2019
    The subscription numbers probably aren't what they wanted; unless you own the entire Disney, fox, and abc library i would imagine any *new service is struggling. I'm cancelling Netflix next month, and my Hulu is connected with my Spotify. A lot of people are like me and looking to cut back on streaming services not add to the cost. I couldn't justify getting the DC app.
    @mwhitt80 It's interesting how you compare it to those streaming video services. It's probably a failure of marketing that they made it seem like that, but that's only partially the value. It's like having Marvel Unlimited and Hulu in a single app.

The video library was never great outside of the originals and the DCAU stuff, licensing prevented them from having truly everything there. I think they made a mistake by not positioning it as being more about comics, at first.
    edited June 2019
    I really think that DC/wb want the DC app to be a streaming service, ohh and you can read comics.
    I've seen zero ads on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook saying "we have comics", it's all "check out Titans or Doom Patrol or swamp thing". They spent boatload on swamp thing ads.
    edited June 2019
    Tonebone said:

Apparently, this was misreported. The NC Film Board says their yearly budget is $13 million. So, it was some other reason.
    According to their website, it’s $31 million, with any money left over from one year carrying over to the next. That’s where the confusion set in. They currently have over $67 million in the fund, but most of it is already allocated to current/future projects.

And just for context, the current grant program, which puts a cap on how much money the state can give out in incentives, replaced the previous tax incentive program, which had no cap, in 2015.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

At the end of the summer, I’m dropping DirecTV and looking to get Sling TV. JJ season 3 airs this Friday & there’s a final season of Fuller House my wife wants to watch. After that, I’m dropping Netflix. I might look into Disney+, but other then that , I’m only looking to stream MLB, NFL, NHL, & NBA games. I’m paying too much a month for s handful of stuff my family actually watches. The DC service was never an option.

edited June 2019
    @Matt I didn't renew my nba league pass this year. I've subscribed to it for 6 years. One thing you might want to check out is cartoon network's boomerang service, the best 40 bucks I spent last year. It might help diversify the shows your kids watch and it's only$40.00 one time for the whole year
    Currently subscribing to:

DCUniverse - I love it and will use it right up to its presumed inevitable cancellation or morphing into the Time Warner service.

Crunchyroll - Still my favorite place to go for anime, although I may end up dumping it in favor of amazon prime

Amazon Prime - I get the streaming service along with the monthly subscription. Might as well use it.

Netflix - May dump at some point for lack of use. It has some things I enjoy, but tends to lose out when compared to the other three services.

I don't even count prime. Prime membership is for shipping, my kids watch prime like crazy. PBS kids, Jack Hannah and Jeff corwin are huge in my house.
    No gd bubble guppies allowed. Monchichis and baby Looney tunes, on boomerang, are also forbidden. I told my daughter that they will make her stupid.
    Torchsong said:

Crunchyroll - Still my favorite place to go for anime, although I may end up dumping it in favor of amazon prime.

While Crunchyroll is still tops, Hulu actually has built up a rather large selection of anime. I don't watch a lot of anime, but that’s how I watched Space Dandy, Kill la Kill, and Jo Jo’s Bizarre Adventure. Plus, you get pretty much everything on Cartoon Network along with everything else on Hulu.

Torchsong said:

Crunchyroll - Still my favorite place to go for anime, although I may end up dumping it in favor of amazon prime.

While Crunchyroll is still tops, Hulu actually has built up a rather large selection of anime. I don't watch a lot of anime, but that’s how I watched Space Dandy, Kill la Kill, and Jo Jo’s Bizarre Adventure. Plus, you get pretty much everything on Cartoon Network along with everything else on Hulu.
    I had Hulu for a while and really enjoyed their anime listings. Problem was they'd seldom get complete runs on anything and often would have dropouts mid-season on some shows. That's what got me to jump onto Crunchyroll. Have things improved at Hulu? I'm on the fence about swapping them out for Netflix.
    @Torchsong you can get a basic Hulu subscription with a regular Spotify subscription for no extra cost
    Torchsong said:

Torchsong said:

I had Hulu for a while and really enjoyed their anime listings. Problem was they'd seldom get complete runs on anything and often would have dropouts mid-season on some shows. That's what got me to jump onto Crunchyroll. Have things improved at Hulu? I'm on the fence about swapping them out for Netflix.
    I'm not the best person to ask about that, as I don't go through the listings very closely or very often, but it does feel like their catalog has grown a fair amount over the past two to three years. Also, they tend to have more subtitled shows than dubbed, if that’s your thing.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I find myself streaming the audio through my Sirius app, and since I was able to watch the Celtics postseason games, my daughter took interest. I thought I’d give it a shot & see what happens.

I’ll looking into Boomerang. I think at one point the network was showing cartoons from my era.

• VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    I've seen the first 2 episodes of Swamp Thing and like it so far. I don't want to reveal anything. It's clearly horror based which I like and is thankfully far removed from either of the films or the previous tv series so far. They are also smartly hinting at the mythology of one of the major characters from the start. It seems like all of the main supporting characters from the series' most acclaimed eras (Wein/Wrightson & Moore) are in the show. I'm very sorry to hear it's being canceled.