Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1224 Talkback: Avengers vs X-Men Month 1

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited May 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Our look at the battle between Marvel's two biggest teams starts here as we cover issues 0, 1 and 2 of 'Avengers vs X-Men'. The lines have been drawn - whose side are you on? (1:34:24)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Having read a up to #3, I feel the creators are on the Avengers side. Personally, I'm on Hope and the Phoenix's side.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Won't be able to listen until the work day is over.

The story is one sided so far. I do hope that changes, I think this fight could have happened without the X-Men as whole being perceived as the bad guys.

I've not kept up on X-Men over the years, is the way Cyclops is being potrayed a natural progession of the character or this being forced due to the event?
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    "Whose side are you on?" Wasn't that the actual tag line for Civil War?
  • Options
    As with all your episodes, I really enjoyed this one, but when are you going to have another Muddle the Murd?
  • Options
    ptsteelersptsteelers Posts: 32
    As far as the speculation of who the parents of Hope are, didn't Hawkeye and Wanda do a little dance, make a little love and get down one night? Wasn't it like a "dream state" for Hawkeye? I seem to remember something like that happening. I could be wrong on that however, because I am known to drink on occasion. Still, I am saying Wanda is the mother at least. (Of course I am a non-X book reader so please forgive if that has been eliminated already)
  • Options
    biggedybiggedy Posts: 1
    I'm a little bit surprised at the fan reaction to this 'big event'. I'm always hearing (and agreeing) with fans when people are complaining about reading the same old thing, and how the big two need to mix things up. When I saw the sale numbers and the press and fan reactions were all incredibly positive, I was disappointed. I've read the first few issues and the other versus book and it really does seem just like the same old stuff to me. I'm in the minority, but I'm not going to be supporting Marvel on this.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited May 2012
    What's that MARVEL?

:))

looking forward to listening the ep.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited May 2012
    On the Uncanny X-Cast there is a certain guest host that makes an appearance.

IT'S THE RIOS!

Today I got double the coverage on Avengers vs X-Men (and I don't even read the series).

When you were doing the overview on of the issues on CGS it made me laugh at certain points. As a DC guy, when you said Bushwacker I was laughing again. So if a female X-Men comes out of limbo she gets double Ds & ages a few years. Interesting.

Matthew

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited May 2012
    :-O
    IT'S THE RIOS!
    @mguy1977 : thx for the hint. Uncanny X-Cast, here I come.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    Won't be able to listen until the work day is over.

The story is one sided so far. I do hope that changes, I think this fight could have happened without the X-Men as whole being perceived as the bad guys.

I've not kept up on X-Men over the years, is the way Cyclops is being potrayed a natural progession of the character or this being forced due to the event?
    Scott Summers has grown a lot over the past decade.
    He has taken a side, is fervently protecting mutants everywhere, created his own mutant nation, and has come into his own as a strong respected leader.
    His tone as he is being written specifically in AvX is not as focused as he is in the x-books. He is no longer the whiney leader or the second guessing regret filled leader.

Recently in Uncanny he stopped the Celestials and sent them packing. Amazing story!
    Uncanny vol 2 #3

He has made all mutants, good or bad, his responsibility. THey are all under his protection. He will fight for the world, but mutants come first. He also takes to task mutants that don't fall in line.

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I've actually started to like Scott. His badass take no shit characterization is interesting and a logical growth of the character.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Thanks for the informative episode guys! I won't be reading this event myself so it's nice to get these updates. It was also good to hear Peter on the "rival" podcast. I'm glad to see he's still into comics.
  • Options
    PommykiwiPommykiwi Posts: 25
    At least we know we can Muddle The Murd with the question/challenge "Name any of the Five Lights from Generation Hope". And 'fellow youngster', however eloquently put, won't do. :)
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    So far I've been pretty bored by the ___vs____ format of the book. (Im thru #2s of the book and tie ins)

Also did the covers confuse anyone else? I couldnt tell which book was Avengers vs X-men (the main title) and which was AVX (the "battle books")... both said both things on the cover, and both had some sort of AVX logo on them... very confusing marvel...

I too am rooting for Hope and the Phoenix Force.. mostly just for her to wipe the Marvel Universe off the maps... but that may just be me over reacting.

at least its better than Siege #-o
  • Options
    DarthKramerDarthKramer Posts: 60
    So... if that is Rich Ryder, how did he get back from the Cancerverse? That's where he's been since the end of Thanos Imperative.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Prediction for the event: Phoenix destroys the universe and, out of the ashes, a new Marvel Universe begins with all #1 issues of their books.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    So... if that is Rich Ryder, how did he get back from the Cancerverse? That's where he's been since the end of Thanos Imperative.
    Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Options
    T2GunnzT2Gunnz Posts: 14
    I haven't gotten into X-Men because of how complicated everyone tells me it is. After listening to the episode you guys got me kind of psyched. I think I might have to give it a look.
  • Options
    An interesting Easter egg, but the address for the Isotope Bank in issue 0 is actually the address for Isotope Comics in Hayes Valley.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the episode,I'm reading AvX and enjoying it more than I thought I would.As for Hope's parents I assumed they were killed by the Purifiers at the begining of Messiah Complex.I don't think they were ever meant to be anybody important.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    edited May 2012
    It is not Rich Ryder it is Sam Alexander
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29

I think that's correct. It's supposed to be the new Nova, but I don't think that was made clear in the story. You have to have read interviews with the creators to realize that it's a new Nova. I'll see if I can dig up links somewhere.

• Options
    DarthKramerDarthKramer Posts: 60

I think that's correct. It's supposed to be the new Nova, but I don't think that was made clear in the story. You have to have read interviews with the creators to realize that it's a new Nova. I'll see if I can dig up links somewhere.

Cool, thanks guys. I was very confused and wondered if I had missed something. Not that I have any interest in reading AvX, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any part of the DnA Cosmic story.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Wasn't going to read this, or was at least going to wait for the trade, but now you've gotten me going back to find the first few issues of the main book. Read #s 0 and 1 so far and yeah, it's really good. I thank you, my wallet does not.

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Who is Sam Alexander? Is he a well-known Nova?

• Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29

Who is Sam Alexander? Is he a well-known Nova?
    He's a brand new Nova, as far as I know. I think he appeared in the the new Spiderman cartoon.
  • Options
    Amalgam_ManAmalgam_Man Posts: 53
    The new Nova could be Sam Alexander, could it possibly be Rich's younger brother Robbie? Also isn't Giant Man Scott Lang again, since he was brought back during the Children's Crusade?
  • Options
    Hank Pym is currently Giant Man in Avengers Academy.
  • Options
    Amalgam_ManAmalgam_Man Posts: 53
    So did Scott Lang quit due to his daughter`s death?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    @Amalgam_Man, I don't know is Scott will be returning as either Giant Man or Ant Man. Hank returned to being Giant Man not long after Avengers Academy started and Ant Man is currently Eric O'Grady who is/was? on the Secret Avengers roster. I do like the character so I hope that he is not left to collect dust.