Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1224 Talkback: Avengers vs X-Men Month 1

Comments

• Options
    DarthKramerDarthKramer Posts: 60
    edited May 2012
    [post deleted]
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    edited May 2012
    The new Nova could be Sam Alexander, could it possibly be Rich's younger brother Robbie?
    It would of been cool if it had been but no such luck
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Sam_Alexander_(Earth-616)
  • Options
    Amalgam_ManAmalgam_Man Posts: 53
    Thanks, that answers that question. With the two multiverse Reed Richards being made into the Kree supreme intelligence, we may see a return from Rich for this matter. Or maybe Wanda will be the one to get the Phoenix force and say "Return All Mutants" We will have to wait and see.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    edited May 2012
    Still listening but thought I'd chime in.

And let's not forget Cable (Nathan Summers) raised Hope so she is Cyclops' adopted grand daughter so there is also a familial tie there. Kind of funny because at one point Hope talked about being trained by Cable and Cyclops pointed out that he trained Cable. We met Hope's grandmother in an issue of Uncanny X-Men and learned that her mother was a red headed Fire Fighter. No word on daddy though.

I thought Hope was supposed to be around 16-17? And she seems to have some kind of connection to Rogue. During Messiah Complex when she was a baby Mystique made her kiss Rogue which "cured" Rogue of all the other minds that were trapped in Rogue's head. Basically giving Rogue a clean slate. I think her mimic powers may have something to do with that.

Currently when mutants manifest their powers their x-gene doesn't fully activate. But for some reason Hope is able to "fix' them.

Cable is currently in a coma on Utopia.
    @Amalgam_Man, I don't know is Scott will be returning as either Giant Man or Ant Man. Hank returned to being Giant Man not long after Avengers Academy started and Ant Man is currently Eric O'Grady who is/was? on the Secret Avengers roster. I do like the character so I hope that he is not left to collect dust.
    Poor Eric O' Grady...his future doesn't look too good. But do we really need 3 Ant-Men or 2 Ant-Men and one Gi-Ant Man?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited May 2012
    @Amalgam_Man, I don't know is Scott will be returning as either Giant Man or Ant Man. Hank returned to being Giant Man not long after Avengers Academy started and Ant Man is currently Eric O'Grady who is/was? on the Secret Avengers roster. I do like the character so I hope that he is not left to collect dust.
    Poor Eric O' Grady...his future doesn't look too good. But do we really need 3 Ant-Men or 2 Ant-Men and one Gi-Ant Man?
    I could have written that better, I meant to reference Scott not Eric at the end there. Although Eric is fun, unique character as well. Could we see one of them take up the Yellowjacket role?
  • Options
    That would definitely fill most of the Pym suits, lol. I also want to see what happens with Wolverine. If he tries to take Hope out himself, she will just use his healing factor like she did when she was attacked by the Purifiers.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Now now, just because she wears pasties and stands with her boobs sticking out it doesn't make Emma Frost a slut. It makes her a stripper.
  • Options
    I don`t think he said that because of the way she dresses. I think it is because the number of guys she been with rivals that of he number of mutants left on Earth.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    No sleeping with many many men makes Emma a slut.

Can you imagine how bad any of pym's suits must smell? He does not seem to be the type to wash them before putting them away. And Jarvis isn't going to catch all of them.
  • Options
    I was re-read the all the issues that have come out and was thinking about the way Scott has been acting. I know Scott has been a real a-hole lately but I think their might be another reason he is willing to risk the fate of the world over the return of the Phoenix. I think in the back of his mind he thinks that the return of the Phoenix might also bring back Jean.

Now I am not saying I want to see Jean back but can you image what it would do to his relationship with Emma if she found out he risked her life and the rest of the X-Men lives to bring back his dead wife? It might be enough for her to leave him and the X-Men and switch sides again. A scorned White Queen going after Scott and his X-Men might be enough to get me to read X-Men again
  • Options
    I have to agree with the thought that Scott is up to something, he has almost put himself in the position where he surrounded by ex-Villains or how he seems more villain like himself. (Reference to Uncanny X-Men issue 1, where the current X-Men are sitting around a table and Storm asks how many of them could say they had never been considered a super villain at anytime. When Scott raises his hand she asks him if he is sure about that. ) Also the numerous times the before mentioned ex-Villains tell Scott how he is reminding them of themselves.
  • Options
    Scott has become a hard man out of necessity to keep his people alive and (relatively speaking) safe.
    And as far as Emma and Jean, Emma is in Scotts head all the time. They have shared all their secrets (which at this point would be all of his and most of hers, maybe) but they went thru the Jean thing before. She would know his feelings throughout all of this.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I think what Webhead is saying though is that he's looking for Jean's return in a subconscious way. He doesn't even realize that that's what he's hoping for and therefor it might be harder for Emma to pick that out of his brain if he doesn't even know it's there.
  • Options
    Ok let's state the facts because everyone seems to get things confused. (Even Wolverine).
    The Phoenix Force came to Earth because Marvel Girl needed help saving the X-Men when they were coming down from space. It put Marvel Girl in stasis to heal from radiation poisoning and took her place wiping it's own memory. Since it had no host it fell victim to Mastermind's tampering and felt all kinds of new alien emotions. Thus unleashing it's dark side becoming Dark Phoenix until it committed suicide to save the X-Men. (Still with me?)

After this Rachel comes to our world from an alternate future and claims the Phoenix Force as her own. Controlling it for many years she's flung into the far future while saving Captain Britain. She founds the Askani and loses the Phoenix Force but becomes Mother Askani in her old age and prepares things for baby Cable's arrival. Her servant comes back in time to take a techno organic virus infected baby Cable into the future to save his life. (Got it? ok!)

Years later Cable has to save Rachel from some time traveling villain who plucked her from the time stream thus bringing her back to our time. (Cable circa #85-86).

Jean then taps more and more into the Phoenix Force but because of Xorneto (another headache of a story) she and Wolverine are heading into the sun on a spaceship. Wolverine kills Jean (unknowingly) allowing the release of the Phoenix consciousness allowing Jearn full control of the Phoenix Force. Xorneto releases a huge electromagnetic pulse giving Jean a planet sized stroke killing her. (circa Morrison's New X-Men #148-150).

The Shi'ar then attempt to destroy the Phoenix Force by using some ultimate weapon to shatter it. But as they put it, a piece of infinity is still infinity. Wounded the Phoenix Force comes to Earth to try and heal. It resurrects Jean, "too soon" as she puts it, and tries to feed off of Cyclops optic blasts. (This is where Beast builds his Phoenix Box we see during Secret Avengers). Jean struggles with the Phoenix Force and it's ultimately up to Wolverine to keep the Dark Phoenix in check...by killing her over and over and over. Each time she resurrects Logan puts her down. By the time Jean regains control Wolverine is pretty much sitting in a corner with his head in his hands. (Beginning to understand why he hates the thing now?) With the help of the X-Men Jean regains control and goes off into space to gather the rest of the pieces of the Phoenix Force. (X-Men: Phoenix Endsong)

But another fragment of the Phoenix Force is left behind and Cuckoos end up being it's host. We learn the Cuckoos are actually Weapon XIV made and cloned from Emma's harvested eggs. There were thousands of them that were all killed by the Phoenix Force before one of the three cuckoos used it's power to trap a piece of it inside the the three of them. She "turned their hearts to diamond" which cut them off from all emotions. At the end Emma promises revenge against the Phoenix Force. (X-Men: Phoenix Warsong)

So on at least 5 different occasions the Phoenix Force has come to Earth and only attempted to destroy it once. Cyclops has more than enough experience to make the judgement call. But I do have to admit so far the Phoenix Force has been painted in a bad light since it hasn't spared a single planet yet.

Charles taught Scott to be a leader of mutant kind. Sucks that they're almost wiped out but Cyclops did put his best foot forward in claiming San Fran as X-Men territory and did regular patrols to help the people out. While he did segregate the X-Men to Utopia he still tried building bridges. And the people from San Fran loved the X-Men.

Charles is gone and is helping Legion control his thousands of multiple personalities who each come with their own unique power.

Namor also sided with the X-Men because the pillar base of Utopia is also home of New Atlantis.

And there certainly are X-Men on Utopia who won't follow Scott. I'm sure we'll see that soon.

Hank Pym became Giant Man again in Avengers Academy #7.

@Murd- Those kids with Hope (The blue girl whose nose she hits) are Generation Hope. Mutants whose powers manifested after Hope returned to our time. But their X-Gene never fully developed leaving them "broken". For some reason Hope is able to "fix" them by touch. That's why her team searches for any new Mutants that pop up on Cerebra.

Unit goes back to the S.W.O.R.D. series launched a few years ago and was cancelled by issue 5 or 6.
    No sleeping with many many men makes Emma a slut.
    HA! Then what would we call Tony or Clint?
    Scott has become a hard man out of necessity to keep his people alive and (relatively speaking) safe.
    And as far as Emma and Jean, Emma is in Scotts head all the time. They have shared all their secrets (which at this point would be all of his and most of hers, maybe) but they went thru the Jean thing before. She would know his feelings throughout all of this.
    I think what Webhead is saying though is that he's looking for Jean's return in a subconscious way. He doesn't even realize that that's what he's hoping for and therefor it might be harder for Emma to pick that out of his brain if he doesn't even know it's there.
    Doubt it. Scott let all that go when Jean died during Morrison's run. Jean pushed for him to be with Emma. I think she's good for him.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    edited May 2012
    I didn't say I agreed with him, just that that was what he was trying to say.

I'm not disagreeing with him either for that matter. I just finished my finals today so when I'm caught up, then I can give a valid opinion. Until then, I'm merely an interpreter.
  • Options
    oh yeah shameless plug time...our one year anniversary!

• Options
    Tony and Clint are manginas?
    No.
    Sluts.
  • Options
    Tony and Clint are manginas?
    No.
    Sluts.
    Manwhores.
  • Options
    Did everyone forget about Black Widow? Isn't it a requirement for all men who want to be an Avenger to sleep with her first?
  • Options
    seb_pinterseb_pinter Posts: 50
    It has been revealed who Hope's mother was... She was a firefighter in an alaskan town (who died during the Purifier attack in Messiah Complex). It is not revealed who the father was. She met her Grandmother then went home and never talked about it again. It was bad.
  • Options
    Did everyone forget about Black Widow? Isn't it a requirement for all men who want to be an Avenger to sleep with her first?
    sh*t sign me up! I'd give her the best two maybe three minutes of her life!
    It has been revealed who Hope's mother was... She was a firefighter in an alaskan town (who died during the Purifier attack in Messiah Complex). It is not revealed who the father was. She met her Grandmother then went home and never talked about it again. It was bad.
    I don't think it was bad. Those were the Whilce Portacio issues right? I used to love him back around Uncanny X-Men 281-292...but now? His style isn't jiving with me. And it has changed since those days.
  • Options

I don't think it was bad. Those were the Whilce Portacio issues right? I used to love him back around Uncanny X-Men 281-292...but now? His style isn't jiving with me. And it has changed since those days.
    The treatment of Hope has been undeniably bad, with regards to her powers and her origins. It's like the X-men just forgot to find out who her parents were. It was laziness on the part of editorial I think. I don't remember specifically if the issue was good or bad, though Portacio's recent X-men art was a car crash. Those early 90's issues were gold though (pun intended)
  • Options

The treatment of Hope has been undeniably bad, with regards to her powers and her origins. It's like the X-men just forgot to find out who her parents were. It was laziness on the part of editorial I think. I don't remember specifically if the issue was good or bad, though Portacio's recent X-men art was a car crash. Those early 90's issues were gold though (pun intended)
    Wasn't it only Cyclops who knew about that? Her going there that is.
  • Options
    Going back to X-Sanction for a minute, remember the reason Cable went back was to stop the Avengers from killing Hope. When he was in the future, there was no one left, except him and Blaquesmith. The Avengers mansion was loaded with anti-mutant equipment (although the fact that they got that equipment at the end of the fight kind of causes a time paradox), which points to a war against mutants. Apparently if Hope is out of the picture, there won't be anyone left, mutant or human. The only one I think that knows what will happen is Cable. He telepathically spoke to Scott after the fight to tell him he would be there when he needed him. Maybe it will to Cable that has to talk down a power crazed Hope.
  • Options
    Her going bad is always a possibilty. Then in the 11th hour Bishop steps out of a time portal firing a blast that takes Hope's head off. Then in the next Wolverine and the X-Men issue Kid Omega will wear a "Bishop was right" T Shirt...lol I almost have the urge to do a mock one just on gp to match my Cyclops one.

• Options
    edited May 2012

Doubt it. Scott let all that go when Jean died during Morrison's run. Jean pushed for him to be with Emma. I think she's good for him.
    I'm not saying Scott would leave Emma for Jean but it is not hard to imagine somewhere in the back of his mind he might look as the return of Phoenix as a way to bring back Jean. Jean was a big part of his life just like Gwen was to Peter Parker and even though he was married to MJ he still tried to save Gwen when he was traveling through time. Did he think about his marriage or how it would change everything if he saved her....no. He just tried to save her. I know it different but in a way it is the same, both of them were their first love and it is hard to let something like that go.

In Astonishing X-Men, Scott went off on Logan when he gave him crap for sleeping with Emma after Jean had died. I still loved Emma's line well she was watching Scott and Logan fighting over Jean "Super powers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy and I still rate below a corpse." That all happened long after Morrison's run. So just the idea of Scott risking everything with the hope of more than just saving mutant kind is not that far fetched.

Plus think of all the mileage Marvel's writers could get out of this after AvsX.
  • Options
    If Jean does come back she wouldn't recognise Scott. Plus Wolverine just split up with his girlfriend Melita. And recently banged AOA Jean. Just saying.
  • Options
    @Webhead I agree it would one interesting concept which would also probably be that final nail in the coffin that is the split between Logan and Scott.
  • Options

I'm not saying Scott would leave Emma for Jean but it is not hard to imagine somewhere in the back of his mind he might look as the return of Phoenix as a way to bring back Jean...

...In Astonishing X-Men, Scott went off on Logan when he gave him crap for sleeping with Emma after Jean had died. I still loved Emma's line well she was watching Scott and Logan fighting over Jean "Super powers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy and I still rate below a corpse." That all happened long after Morrison's run. So just the idea of Scott risking everything with the hope of more than just saving mutant kind is not that far fetched.

Plus think of all the mileage Marvel's writers could get out of this after AvsX.

While it's true he will certainly have feelings for her, Jean being so close to being a all powerful perfect goddess is what helped pushed them apart. Jean will always have a place in Scott's heart but as long as she's link the Phoenix...
    @Webhead I agree it would one interesting concept which would also probably be that final nail in the coffin that is the split between Logan and Scott.

That's the thing. This love triangle has been done to death! Let's move on to new and different things already. Shit, let's see Ruby Summers be born!

If Jean does come back she wouldn't recognise Scott. Plus Wolverine just split up with his girlfriend Melita. And recently banged AOA Jean. Just saying.
    Bum chicka wow wow! I actually like Melita too. Damn shame Aaron had to burn that bridge before leaving the book.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    One big error in the podcast boys. Hope is not between the ages of 13-15. she's actually about 17-18 now. Apart from that, I really enjoyed the podcast.
    I honestly dont think the entire series is going to be just 'Avengers Vs. X-men'. there's going to be a point where the teams unite to fight the big bad. although I do believe Cyclops will remain militant about Hope and I think when the series is over, he's going to be cast in the 'villains' role with a team of ex villains following him. (magneto, emma, namor etc) and possibly becoming the new 'Brotherhood of mutants', leaving one decisive team of X-Men back at the mansion.
    Loving the 'No more Avengers' Promo that's out there now!