Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1225 Talkback: Avengers Movie Review

Comments

• Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156
    Ok so if it would have been skulls this time, then in the next movie you do use them in and make them cooler,it is because they have come back with a vengeance. Simple enough as far as I am concerned.

Again, just my opinion.

I think using them here and more later would have been just as cool. Especially if just a few escaped into the crowd this time and the heroes have no idea. Again, cool for us and very comic book like.
  • Options
    figpainterfigpainter Posts: 14
    If you don't want to call them Skrulls, then call them something else from the Marvel Universe. I mean come on, how many races are shown in the OHOTMU? My point is that you dont HAVE to make up a brand new race when the MU is teeming with them. again, just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Possibly. And it wouldn't be a horrible idea, but the thing is the shapeshifting was never used in the movie and for good reason - there was already enough going on. So if you did that, you'd have to either shoehorn the shapeshifting into Avengers or bring it up in the sequel and make people wonder "well, why didn't they do that in the first place?" Now if you wanted to make them something like the Kree I could probably go for that better.
  • Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156
    Like Brian said above it can be any race from OHOTMU. Kree is fine wih me.
  • Options
    Then the Kree it is. I'll talk to Joss about getting them edited into the DVD.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    So I'm right. I love how I argued this so much and it all goes to Jamie. Lol
  • Options
    Amalgam_ManAmalgam_Man Posts: 53
    As much as I love the Infinity Gauntlet, I think it would be too much to throw at a movie at this stage. It is hard to top something after you throw in infinite power.
    Also, with this being Thanos in charge, the likely hood of Skrulls or Kree following him is slim. Has anyone else thought they look kind of like the creatures from the negative zone that formed the Annihilation wave. Just a thought.
  • Options
    So I'm right. I love how I argued this so much and it all goes to Jamie. Lol
    You're so demanding. You already got credit for whining. What more do you want?
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Apologies if this was covered elsewhere in the thread but one factor on the use of the Chitauri is that in all likelihood the Skrulls may be tied up with the FF licence that Fox has.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Dear Marvel,
    Since you are altering your universe to mirror the movies rather than the other way (don't think I didn't see what you're doing in Battle Scars #6), can you create a couple of generic armies to attack the heroes for future movies? Creatures that are shit-basic in appearance and abilities to prevent any future debates about their usage.
    Thank you for your time,
    M.

While I'm at it...

Dear DC,
    Remember when the movies and TV shows were to mirror the comics and not the other way around, what's going on with Green Arrow?! Did someone watch Smallville too closely?
  • Options
    I know there is some debate on the Hulk / Incredible Hulk being lead ups to this movie, but I wonder if Thunderbolt Ross will be in one of the next movies and what his role will be. Fury did approach him in the Incredible Hulk credits. Maybe he will be someone the counsel uses to replace Fury since they can't keep him on their leash. Just a thought.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    If you don't want to call them Skrulls, then call them something else from the Marvel Universe. I mean come on, how many races are shown in the OHOTMU? My point is that you dont HAVE to make up a brand new race when the MU is teeming with them. again, just my 2 cents.
    The Chitauri have been around. I guess I'm the only Ultimate fan here but I'm so glad to see them over the Skrulls, Super Skrull is the character I despise more than any other and any of his kin are more than welcome to stay far far away from this movie/franchise. Up until a couple weeks ago Nick Fury was white in the 616 but everyone was ok with Sam cause he's the Ultimate version right? Same with Ultimate Hawkeye not putting on a mask. (until recently that's an Ultimate thing too)

I know there is some debate on the Hulk / Incredible Hulk being lead ups to this movie, but I wonder if Thunderbolt Ross will be in one of the next movies and what his role will be. Fury did approach him in the Incredible Hulk credits. Maybe he will be someone the counsel uses to replace Fury since they can't keep him on their leash. Just a thought.
    And Ross is also in the blu ray extra with Tony Stark....I think it's Thor's but maybe it's Cap.

Also about them not being a team at the beginning. Thor didn't even know who they were, and they were kidnapping his brother. That seemed like exactly the right response. And the Cap and Tony arguments were just about perfect.

If I did have one thing to complain about is that instead of Cap's mask being pulled off I would've liked it to be ripped up. I just really enjoy that visual in the comics.

• Options
    NickNick Posts: 284

I seem to recall listening to the review episodes of Shadowlands, than reading the threads and NOT seeing anyone say the guys were too negative on the storyline. The storyline was mostly criticized for what it wasn't. Could it be that most people did not like it, so hearing a review with negatives was acceptable? TO REITERATE...we all gave this movie 5 out of 5. Any of the scenes we discussed with criticism did not distract from the movie being kick ass. In fact, after we saw it, I texted 3 friends simply stating "The movie KICKED ASS!"

M.
    I think you are 100% right that most people didn't throw a fit becuase in general it seemed most people had similar opinions. Sorry if I came off a bit as a jerk, I just loved the movie and like hearing about others loving comics and comic movies :) I did finish listening to the episode, and you guys did list a bunch of stuff you liked as well, and a sum of about 155/5 stars by the guys.

Also about the Tesseract, I think they might've dropped the ball a little. I keep thinking in one of these movies Loki or Red Skull will have some line about "how the humans don't even know what they have, this isn't some tesser-whatever, the power to shape the universe a COSMIC CUBE!" We'll see maybe Thanos will set them straight about cosmic objects and their names :)
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but my understanding of the reason the alien army wasn't the Skrulls is because they are tied to the Fantastic Four license that Fox currently owns. So they couldn't put them in this movie even if they wanted to. (Same reason why Spider-man or the X-men couldn't show up for a cameo).
  • Options
    I think the Incredible Hulk is without a doubt a lead-in to Avengers.

Haven't watched it in a while, but I vaguely remember a scene at the end where Bruce Banner is apparently exerting control over "hulking out"; while living in a cabin deep in the wilderness. At the end of the scene, I think a meditating Edward Norton smiles, opens his eyes, and they're green. Very cool scene.

With that in mind, I wasn't surprised when Banner revealed this secret to the team in Avengers. I think it was a solid progression for the character, and in my mind, is linked directly with the Incredible Hulk movie.
  • Options
    Actually, there's no real debate on either. The only question was why Incredible Hulk wasn't included at Regal Cinemas and Mike answered that (because it was distributed by Universal instead of Paramount and wasn't part of a package deal). And I don't think Shane was saying it wasn't part of the continuity, just that he didn't have time to watch them all with his son and that seemed like one of the less important ones (and it is). Hulk (by Ang Lee) was not part of the Marvel movieverse at all and was it's own movie just like they all were back then. Incredible Hulk was a reboot and is part of the shared universe. Robert Downey Jr. was in the movie, it was made by Marvel Studios, Thunderbolt Ross was referenced/seen in an Agent Coulson short on one of the Blu-Rays (was it Cap or Thor?). Incredible Hulk is definitely part of the Marvel movieverse and having just rewatched it yesterday I saw some tie-ins, actually.

(and just to clarify, Fury didn't approach him in the Incredible Hulk movie, it was Stark)
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    After Jenny Agutter authorised the nuke attack it would seem the UK government is having to face some tough questions, both about our contributions to the Helicarrier funding, and about Agent Coulson's secret meetings with our Prime Minister.
    This is from the front page of today's Guardian newspaper.

• Options
    I wasn't stating it was a debate on here, but in general. I here about it everywhere I go it seems. Thanks for the correct on the Stark/Fury cameo. The new IMAX here has been selling out all evening screenings so it still is still doing good here. How is it doing elsewhere?
  • Options
    I wasn't stating it was a debate on here, but in general. I here about it everywhere I go it seems.
    Interesting. If someone else says it isn't, tell them they're wrong. Tell them it isn't a debate or conjecture, it's a fact. It is.
  • Options
    http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/11/11643793-was-avengers-joke-cruel-to-adoption-community

Eh...
    Wow...interesting. It did occur to me that this line might be considered insensitive when I heard it in the movie.

The main reason it caught my attention is my wife and I are trying to adopt, and we've been through extensive training about working with children from broken homes. While I don't take offense to the remark, and thought it was hilarious, I can understand why someone would.

There are enough challenges when raising an adopted child. Something like this that could hurt the feelings of someone who is adopted just adds to the adversity they must overcome. I'll actually go read the article now...
  • Options
    Thor4LifeThor4Life Posts: 3
    If you can't make a joke like Thor did about Loki, then what can you joke about? It's PC run completely amok!!

It's a movie people! Relax, enjoy it, and have some fun for crying out loud!!

Oh, yes, I did enjoy the movie for the one who asked!!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    LOL, looks like I wasnt the only one to get annoyed with what came across as unnecesary nitpicking. There's no such thing as a perfect 'super hero' movie but I appreciated what was clearly a labor of love from Joss Whedon. so many movies come out these days that deserve a hefty dose of criticism, but let's not scrape the barrell because you feel the need to throw some mud.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Chitauri, Skrulls or Kree? The Avengers could have been beating the crap out of Care Bears I would have enjoyed it! Ewoks would have been even better.
  • Options
    As I said in the episode, they needed to be nameless, faceless baddies so we can focus on the team!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I'm not a big "go to the movies" guy. While I've seen Scarlett Johansson on my IM2 dvd and various TV interview shows, Avengers was the first time I've seen her on the big screen. OMG the camera REALLY likes her! I'm always impressed by folks that can have their faces blown up to the size of a barn and still look good. You see a close up of my face and it looks like my nose is migrating to the right side of my face to have a conversation with my ear.
  • Options
    I just saw the movie, again, and I noticed Thor told Fury that it the Chitauri come from an unknown planet. If it were the Skrulls or Kree wouldn't Asguard know of their home planet?
  • Options
    Yes. That was thors thing being confused by them