Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1225 Talkback: Avengers Movie Review

1235»

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Yeah he got it from his dad. That was clear in the movie. It was Coulson's reaction that was so interesting in retrospect.
    He couldn't have gotten the real sheild from his dad. It was frozen on ice with Cap.
    No, but he could very well have gotten a prototype or a backup or anything along those lines. I don't think they ever said it was the definitive everyday Cap shield.
    Which is what I suggested earlier.

"If I'm remembering correctly, the shield in IM2 didn't look anything like the shield from CA. Could if have been a prototype that Howard Stark was toying with? "
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I'm confused. Then why did you bring up that it couldn't have been the real shield. I never said anything about it being the real shield. All I commented in was Coulson's reaction.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623

Is it just me or did Thor get sent to Earth by Odin to stop the invasion. And if he did, wouldn't the info he has come from Odin? And with Odin being the all father, wouldn't he know of most major races? Especially if he was the guardian of the infinity gauntlet?
    I saw it as Odin sent Thor to Earth get Loki out of whatever trouble he'd gotten himself into. Thor might have taken it as a reason to stop the invasion but from what we know about Odin he probably just wanted Loki out of trouble and Earth could take care of itself.

Going to see it again tonight so I'll keep that idea in mind and see if I see it differently this time.

It's a bit muddled because when Thor rescues Loki, Loki talks about being lost in the abyss. Which would be a place they didn't know anything about and then Loki says that he's found a world nobody knows about.

What's odd is that after the big fight between Thor, Cap and Iron man they're back on the hellicarrier and Thor talks about how there's an invasion coming and that they're the Chitauri. But Loki never said that to him (at least not on screen) So if the info came from Odin he might have known more about where Loki was than apparently all of Asgard knew.

Also I was really excited when Black Widow told Coulson that they were about to start the face trace and he was needed inside. I assumed that that could have been an LMD reference but a friend pointed out that that's what they called the program that was looking for Loki :(

But one more thing I noticed was that the only thing that said Coulson was dead was that Fury said that the EMT's called it but that was over the radio. And there's 2 things I know about the Ultimate universe (not that it's the ultimate universe but humor me)

1. If nobody says that a person died and they don't show conclusive evidence that that person died then they probably didn't die.

"But Fury said he was dead!" says the lady that hates letting people finish their two part speeches.

2. Fury lies.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    What's odd is that after the big fight between Thor, Cap and Iron man they're back on the hellicarrier and Thor talks about how there's an invasion coming and that they're the Chitauri. But Loki never said that to him (at least not on screen) So if the info came from Odin he might have known more about where Loki was than apparently all of Asgard knew.
    Remember we saw Hugin and Mugin flying around. I assume they had been gathering intel on Loki's activities for some time before Thor's arrival onscreen.
    But one more thing I noticed was that the only thing that said Coulson was dead was that Fury said that the EMT's called it but that was over the radio. And there's 2 things I know about the Ultimate universe (not that it's the ultimate universe but humor me)

1. If nobody says that a person died and they don't show conclusive evidence that that person died then they probably didn't die.

"But Fury said he was dead!" says the lady that hates letting people finish their two part speeches.

2. Fury lies.
    Yes. They totally gave themselves an out.

Or set up a misdirect in which Coulson is replaced by an LMD.

Having the Coulson who "died" be an LMD would be a bad choice because it would diminish the heroism of the character.

However LMDs would be a massive step forward in the established tech base at this point, and Stark throwing out the term implies it's his concept, not SHIELD's, or at least a project he was consulted on. Honestly, I saw it as a throwaway reference for our amusement, rather than an actual plot point.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I finally saw the movie on Tuesday and really enjoyed it greatly. I loved how all the characters for the most part got a nice chance to shine in the movie. I loved the interactions between the characters. Some really good examples would be Thor and Loki which was very nice and moving at times. Same thing with Tony Stark and Bruce Banner. I liked their conversation. I liked Captain America's interaction with Agent Coulson. The action itself was great. I loved all of the fighting scenes. I thought Black Widow was used really well in this and I loved the two credit scenes. Great movie.
  • Options
    Amalgam_ManAmalgam_Man Posts: 53
    What does everyone want to see in the future for this movie line?
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    What if coulson had LMDs? It would make sense going through all the marvel studio movies. If you look at the timeline he gets around pretty fast. Sure it could be the famous shield flying car. But it could also be multiple coulsons. Maybe he was around back in the forties and they have been making LMDs run around in place of an older coulson.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to be testy, but this level of nitpicking is not one I'm accustomed to on CGS.
    This level of nitpicking is exactly what I'm accustomed to from CGS.

Hell, that's why I listen!

An episode like this is the closest you can come to hanging out at the LCS, talking to the other customers and listening to their wild-ass theories and bizarre criticisms as you can get without leaving home.

This ain't journalism, this is Comic Geeks Speaking!
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I am disappointed with the level of nitpickiness on this thread. I am unaccustomed to the forum being this nitpicky. But I take solace in the fact that all of the geeks gave it a 5/5.
  • Options
    I am disappointed with the level of nitpickiness on this thread. I am unaccustomed to the forum being this nitpicky. But I take solace in the fact that all of the geeks gave it a 5/5.
    [insert pedantic discussion of the origin of "nitpicking" and it's relation to "lousy" here...]

• Options
    [insert pedantic discussion of the origin of "nitpicking" and it's relation to "lousy" here...]

See? I'm not even in THIS picture!
    Conspiracy!!!!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @MikeGallagher : but you are - you're the cootie :P
  • Options
    @MikeGallagher : but you are - you're the cootie :P
    Why you rasafrasinstinkynogoodbeatnikgarblegarble!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Just got back from a second viewing; promised the wife we'd go. Picked up on more things this time around, such as both Thor AND Loki talk about Chitari. I think Black Widow was the only one who called Agent Barton "Hawkeye." (it was the scene when she was "riding" one of the Chitari sleds.

One of the moments I was looking for the most: Cap doing something to earn the respect of the group to become the de facto leader, I realize does it exist. It didn't happen in the final fight scene, but when he got Iron Man & Thor to stop fighting.

If you've only seen it once, it's worth at least a second viewing.

M
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    4th time!! Bring back Coulson as The Vision!!
  • Options
    Am I the only one to notice that the reason the heroes were bickering is that they were being manipulated Loki through the staff. The whole time they were bickering they kept cutting back to the staff. I know I can't be the only one to notice that.
  • Options
    joker9 said:

Am I the only one to notice that the reason the heroes were bickering is that they were being manipulated Loki through the staff. The whole time they were bickering they kept cutting back to the staff. I know I can't be the only one to notice that.

No.

You're not the only one to notice that.

But, much like alcohol, Loki's influence didn't put thoughts in their heads, merely pushed those thoughts to the surface and removed the normal restraint which would keep those thoughts unspoken.

Therefore, everything that was said was completely in character, even though saying it might not have been.

Brilliant scene.