Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1225 Talkback: Avengers Movie Review

Comments

• Options
    Amalgam_ManAmalgam_Man Posts: 53
    I find it funny how Marvel can make one of the best movies of all time, "Avengers" and one of the worst movies, "Ghost Rider, Spirit of Vengeance" in the same year.
  • Options
    I find it funny how Marvel can make one of the best movies of all time, "Avengers" and one of the worst movies, "Ghost Rider, Spirit of Vengeance" in the same year.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Marvel Studios didn't have much to do with Ghost Rider, the faults with that movie lies with Sony/Columbia.
  • Options
    I know, different studios and all. But just the fact that both ends of the spectrum are covered by a Marvel title in a span of a couple months is kind of funny. Also, Avenger's just broke 1 billion dollars worldwide over the weekend, woohoo.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Chitauri, Skrulls or Kree? The Avengers could have been beating the crap out of Care Bears I would have enjoyed it! Ewoks would have been even better.
    Ewoks would've laid waste to New York and I don't even want to think how badly a care bear stare would've decimated Tony's uni-beam

I mean I'm all for suspending disbelief but be reasonable

:)

• Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    Finally listened to the whole thing..my thoughts then.

It didn't come off as whiney as I'd been led to believe. That said, I don't agree with some of the nitpicky things. I'm a fanboy through and through and I can nitpick with the best of them, but... Wanting them to be skrulls, even if only in name? What's the point, if they don't/won't get to fully demonstrate their powers? And setting things up for a secret invasion type thing just would complicate things for now. Plus, this movie was all about the heroes! I don't want to delve too much into other villains and their backstory in this movie. We already have a baddie in Loki.

And Brian's gripe about having them function as a Team from the get-go? That wouldn't make any sense in this movie given that this is only the first time they all got together. Would you have liked it if the first 10minutes of the movie was like " hi,hello.im tony.nice to meet you Steve, I've been a big fan..".yadda yadda. I probably wouldn't care for them as much as a team even if I liked them all individually. And that would've been a total waste of whedon's talents.

Nitpicking? Wouldnt Tony call up War Machine for help at some point?this is the biggest battle EVER and they needed all the help they can get.. Um, Hawkeye got shortchanged! Where's his backstory,etc etc. well he doesnt have the luxury of having a significant role in the previous movies (though you could argue the same for Black Widow) so we'll just have to wait for the fleshing out of his story in subsequent movies.

Nitpicking? I was just HAPPY that this movie got made, and got made WELL. I'm not ashamed to gush about it. I only know of one way to improve upon it...lock Joss up for the next, as the writer and director. :)
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    My only nitpicks. Maria Hill was a bit soft. I would have preferred an actress like Michelle Rodriguez over Cobie Smulders.
    Caps Helmet was a bit bobble heady. I was happy when it was ripped from his head.

• Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    Michelle Rodriguez?!?!? Ugh that would have been horrible! Like having skulls in the film horrible!

Is there a point where we can all talk about some of the strong writing and beautiful character moments every character had?
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Skulls in the movie? You mean like as in a Punisher easter egg?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Michelle Rodriguez?!?!? Ugh that would have been horrible! Like having skulls in the film horrible!

Is there a point where we can all talk about some of the strong writing and beautiful character moments every character had?
    Yea, Like you all did during the review episode.

Btw, I wrote, "like Michelle Rodreguez". Someone with some fierceness to them. A young Nia Long or Jamie Alexander (I know she's tied up in the Thor movies. Again, "Like"). Someone that can give you a look and make you back down. Smulders didn't do that for me.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    As many of you know I'm in Japan! Well, since I already had the end of the movie spoiled on Facebook (it's my own fault for trying to follow my friends) I thought I may as well listen to this episode. Besides that, the movie doesn't come here for THREE months! I'm so old that I'll probably forget most of the spoilage by then. And NO, I won't be watching BOOTLEGS! (Ugh!) Like the Deemer, when I see a movie like this for the first-time I prefer seeing it in a high-quality format. Anyway, like others mentioned above and like Jamie had to force out of them at the beginning: In the end, I'm glad you all thought the movie was awesome. I look forward to watching it.
  • Options

To follow up on this, I would like to ask which character you liked best in this movie.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    To follow up on this, I would like to ask which character you liked best in this movie.

That's tough. Only having seen it once I would say black widow or Loki. Each had such a rich, emotional performance.

Loki stands out as being what a bad guy in a super hero movie should be. He has such a range, and is so conflicted, it was beautiful. Y,ou can see the anguish on his face every time Thor tries to bring him home. The glee in subjugating the people outside the opera. And his face off with widow was amazing! He truly believes he is doing the right thing for the right reasons and is in way over his head.

Black widow had a great arch too. Specifically for me the way that she was always in control and had fear for nothing but she was terrified of banner to the point where it broke her. Banner represents something she cannot control and she was forced to face it head on.

I loved the hulk. This is how I see the hulk. And banner, for the first time in my life, made sense to me.

Tony is tony. Nuff said.
    Same with the others

• Options
    My apologies, that was supposed to be a quote from your earlier statement, but my tablet decided something different in the posting.
    I have to agree with you on my enjoyment of the many layers of emotion and character that Loki and Black Widow shown. Especially the emotion that was shown when Black Widow was faced with Hulk/Banner. I appreciated Agent Coleson (not sure of spelling), and how he was used in this movie and the build up to this movie. I liked how they built the respect, connection, and friendship between the four (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk)
  • Options
    I have to agree. The characters not featured in movies of their own, came off very strong.

I'll add my voice to those that want a Widow/Hawkeye movie.

I hope Colson can come back in some form. Even if it's as SHEILD'S version of Stark's JARVIS.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    My questioning about Pepper's attire was more of an observation based on what we've seen in 2 prior movies. She was always seen dressed professionally. Now granted, she is dating Tony, but it just seemed different than what I expected a casually dressed Pepper to wear.

I can't believe if we saw Steve ride off wearing a Hugo Boss suit at the end I'd be the only one questioning it.

M
    Its easy to think that maybe she simply had a day off. Or maybe it was after hours. People do unwind out off the office and they don't wear suits all the time.
  • Options
    Or maybe she and Tony just finished up so she threw on whatever was handy.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    I have to say that Bryan is wrong to hate that the team didn't just jump together. This was a story about the team coming togther. And since the team is made of such diverse personalities its easy to see how there would be conflict, and it would take time for them to be able to come togther. He also said that this has alreay been done a lot in movies. I like to watch and study movies, so I would like him to give a list of movies that use this because I would like to check them out and see how its been used.

Also, I don't mind that they use an established alien force like the Skrulls in this movie. They can save them for another movie when you can focus more on them. And Shane, I hate to say it, but you're wrong. You said that you could have put the Skrulls in there, and not had them shape-change or anything and it wouldn't matter to the general public, but the comic book fans would love it. If you put the Skrulls in there, and didn't have them shape-change or do much with them, the fanboys would tear it apart. They would go on about how horrible it was that they didn't use the Skrulls correctly, and how Hollywood doesn't know or care about the characters.
  • Options
    I have seen this movie three times now (and am seeing it again with my wife on Friday), and from my observation ( keyword: my), Thor came to Earth to question Loki about who he is answering to and to bring him back to Asguard. He told Fury in the scene where he got to the helicarrier, that Loki was backed by the Chitari which come from an unknown planet.
    To get back to Earth, he had to be sent by Odin ( to the byfrost being destroyed(Thor movie)) because he would have to use dark magic to do so (Loki's word). Is it just me or did Thor get sent to Earth by Odin to stop the invasion. And if he did, wouldn't the info he has come from Odin? And with Odin being the all father, wouldn't he know of most major races? Especially if he was the guardian of the infinity gauntlet?
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited May 2012
  • Options
    I didn't get a chance to do a marathon re-viewing of the Marvel movieverse before watching Avengers, but I'm working on one before going to see Avengers a second time and I like it this way because I'm noticing things in movies that tie in to what we see in Avengers. In Incredible Hulk, there's one scene with Bruce and Betty talking about controlling the Hulk that ties into the way Banner views the Hulk in The Avengers (at least I think it fits). But the one that really stood out to me was in Iron Man 2 when Coulson sees Cap's shield and says "where did you get this?" When I first saw IM2 it just seemed like a way to get in a little not to Captain America, but now that we've seen Coulson's hero worship of Cap, I noticed a little bit of an indignation in his voice when he wants to know how Tony got a hold of it. And it seemed like it was intentionally put there too, but unnoticeable until we see how he views Cap in Avengers.

I still have Thor and Cap left to go. I'll probably see Avengers a second time on Monday. Not in 3D and/or IMAX this time and I'll see how it compares.
  • Options
    @KyleMoyer I didn't remember Cap's shield in IM2 until you mentioned it. He could have it due to Howard Stark's friendship with Cap and Howard was the one looking for him. He could have found it, and that's why Tony had it. Kind of a retro connection between IM2 and the Cap movie.
  • Options
    If I'm remembering correctly, the shield in IM2 didn't look anything like the shield from CA. Could if have been a prototype that Howard Stark was toying with?
  • Options
    It could, but it now make sense how he could have came across the shield. Possibly anyway.
  • Options
    Yeah he got it from his dad. That was clear in the movie. It was Coulson's reaction that was so interesting in retrospect.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623

Is it just me or did Thor get sent to Earth by Odin to stop the invasion. And if he did, wouldn't the info he has come from Odin? And with Odin being the all father, wouldn't he know of most major races? Especially if he was the guardian of the infinity gauntlet?
    I saw it as Odin sent Thor to Earth get Loki out of whatever trouble he'd gotten himself into. Thor might have taken it as a reason to stop the invasion but from what we know about Odin he probably just wanted Loki out of trouble and Earth could take care of itself.

Going to see it again tonight so I'll keep that idea in mind and see if I see it differently this time.

• Options
    Yeah he got it from his dad. That was clear in the movie. It was Coulson's reaction that was so interesting in retrospect.
    He couldn't have gotten the real sheild from his dad. It was frozen on ice with Cap.
  • Options
    He couldn't have gotten the real sheild from his dad. It was frozen on ice with Cap.
    No, but he could very well have gotten a prototype or a backup or anything along those lines. I don't think they ever said it was the definitive everyday Cap shield.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited May 2012
    man, I loved loved loved this movie! Great episode! I disagree w/Bryan's plea for an instant team - I liked the way they did it, even if it's a bit of a cliche. Introing each of the characters and having them come together as a team rocked! I LOVED when in the heat of the battle Cap starts ordering them around and they all follow his order? Awesome!

I agree it would've been cool if they used skrulls (and didn't know they might be partof the Sony package) - but I was fine w/the nameless aliens. I actually thought, as someone on the podcast mentioned, I think, that they might be related to Annihilus. But aside from that, the closest connection I made to them was that they seemed a bit like 4th world Parademons.

I thought that the head of the aliens that Loki talked too - all decked out in a hoodie cloak? For a minute, I thought we were going to get Dr. Doom there (how coll would that have been??). The Thanos reveal at the end was great tho.

Would have liked a Hank Pym mention, as well. Have heard Nathan Fillian/Pym rumors?? And not knowing about Thanos going in to the movie, I was thinking we might get a set up for Ultron in movie 2. I'm thinking good chance he's on tap for movie 3??

I'm thinking that w/the intro of Coulson into the 616, and the mention of LMDs, that we will be seeing him again. OTOH, Murd's Vision theory is a cool one!

e
    L nny