Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Comics To Switch The Sexual Orientation Of An Established Character

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Or it gives his weakness to wood a whole new meaning.
    Yep, looking around the net, people are already jumping on jokes about his weakness to wood and his green flame. It's like they picked the worse character to be gay. People don't even have to make an effort to ridicule him. It's already there.
    Well, to be fair, all superheroes (and I enjoy them, too) are pretty camp. It doesn't take much to push any of them towards gay cliches or puns if one wants to.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    And this is, I think, one of the problems plaguing the industry right now - the emphasis has gone almost completely away from the books we buy to the companies that create them.

There was a time when you could be surprised by a reveal in a comic. Supergirl died fighting the anti-monitor. Magneto ripped Wolverine's adamantium out of his body. Terra's a mole agent in the Teen Titans. Spidey's black suit is more than it seems. You found out about these things by...horror of horrors...reading the books, or by hearing it via word of mouth a la "You gotta go get the new X-men book!"

Imagine if you were just reading your copy of Earth 2 without the "benefit" of the internet or DC's massive press junket, and suddenly Alan Scott plants one on another guy. Regardless of your individual feelings about relationships, you'd likely be a little bit floored, maybe want to know more, you'd definitely be telling people about it, etc.

Instead we know all this stuff before the ink is barely dry on the 1st pressing of the issue. We're told...we're expected...to make a big deal out of this, when it really isn't all that big a deal. We hear about issues that will "break the internet in half" or will re-invent the character completely...and seldom is the question asked if that's really what we, as readers, want.
    I agree with you 1000%.

EXCEPT...

I found out about Wolverine getting his adamantium ripped out of him before the book was released. 1993 was about two years or so before I got on the internet, so I'm not 100% sure where I read it, but I know it wasn't news to me when it happened. I remember that because I remember thinking that it was going to actually happen in Wolverine 75 and didn't know until I read it that it was happening in X-Men 25 and Wolverine 75 was the aftermath (so I guess at least something was left for the book, but there was still no shock in it).
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Or it gives his weakness to wood a whole new meaning.
    Yep, looking around the net, people are already jumping on jokes about his weakness to wood and his green flame. It's like they picked the worse character to be gay. People don't even have to make an effort to ridicule him. It's already there.
    Anyone call him "Big Gay Al" yet?
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I just got a text from my mom saying they made Green Lantern gay. I had to advise her specifics of WHAT GL is gay.

She told me that wasn't mentioned in the right up. Love than media spin!

M
    I got my "Did you hear about them making the Green Lantern gay" text/call/IM myself yesterday.

"Yes I heard."

"No. Not the one from the movie."

"No. Not the black one from the cartoon."

"And I know you don't know who Guy Gardner or Kyle Raynor are but I'll just tell you not them either."

• Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    I was not overwhelmed by the first issue of Earth-2 but I am willing to give it my standard 5 issue try out period before I decide to continue buying it or drop it. DC needs to rethink their plan if they think making Green Lantern gay is going sway me one way or the other.

Just give me interesting stories that hold my attention and good art.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I was not overwhelmed by the first issue of Earth-2 but I am willing to give it my standard 5 issue try out period before I decide to continue buying it or drop it. DC needs to rethink their plan if they think making Green Lantern gay is going sway me one way or the other.

Just give me interesting stories that hold my attention and good art.</blockquote

5 issue trial run, huh? wow. I thought I was being generous with 3 issues. of course i guess since i order through DCBS it is really just a one issue trial to decide if I'm going to order issue #4...
    I agree though when you say "give me interesting stories...and good art". In the end that is really what it is all about. Who wants to read terrible stories with bad art? If the stories are good and drama is being created that sucks us into the story then the character's sexuality is relavent only inasmuch as it relates to the story.

Yeah. thats my stand on this, i just figured it out. Everything must serve the story. I can live with that.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    @random73 It's a good stand.

And it very well may end pf serving the story. Soon we'll see.
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    More into trunks than twigs.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    More into trunks than twigs.
    Lot of fangirls are.

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I personnally think in this day and age something like this is even news,just seems like a jump on the bandwagon after Obama okayed it.Stick to telling good stories and leave the sensationalism to the rags.
    The story sees print in June.

The Biden statement, followed days later by Obama's, came in the first week of May.

That means the story with this gay character was already in production before that happened.

One can still feel that they are bandwagon jumping or taking on what has been some of the changes in the political climate, but the actual facts of the comic that comes out next month is that it can't actually be inspired by the specific news from the beginning of May. That is just too recent to effect a comic book that comes out in June.
    I don't want to keep this going but I had forgot to mention that I think you may be keying off of the wrong initial impetus for this... The Prop 8 debate and vote were what I was speaking to as the catalyst and the subsequent delay from idea to print which would fit in the 8 month or so timeframe that they mentioned. It could have been anything though but the fact that two books from the big two are hitting around the same time with the same general idea seems to point to someone picking it up from the headlines and hot topics and wanting to spin it into their comic, publicity stunt or not. At this point I just don't care, the big two are as progressive and innovative as toast.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I personnally think in this day and age something like this is even news,just seems like a jump on the bandwagon after Obama okayed it.Stick to telling good stories and leave the sensationalism to the rags.
    The story sees print in June.

The Biden statement, followed days later by Obama's, came in the first week of May.

That means the story with this gay character was already in production before that happened.

One can still feel that they are bandwagon jumping or taking on what has been some of the changes in the political climate, but the actual facts of the comic that comes out next month is that it can't actually be inspired by the specific news from the beginning of May. That is just too recent to affect a comic book that comes out in June.
    I don't want to keep this going but I had forgot to mention that I think you may be keying off of the wrong initial impetus for this... The Prop 8 debate and vote were what I was speaking to as the catalyst and the subsequent delay from idea to print which would fit in the 8 month or so timeframe that they mentioned. It could have been anything though but the fact that two books from the big two are hitting around the same time with the same general idea seems to point to someone picking it up from the headlines and hot topics and wanting to spin it into their comic, publicity stunt or not. At this point I just don't care, the big two are as progressive and innovative as toast.
    Got it. And I'm not saying that is what you were saying-- honestly don't remember the several people who said it, but there were people who suggested that this was a publicity stunt to jump on the bandwagon of 'what the President said/did', so that is the timeline I was countering. The idea that it was that specific event that was being hitched onto.

I will grant that Robinson may have been influenced by the marriage equality debate in general, but of course that has been going on for years and years. What I didn't believe was the premise that the President made his statement and then DC decided to jump on it with this new character. There just wasn't enough time for them to be able to do that.
  • Options
    Read the scene in context today in Earth 2 #2.

-- SPOILER SPACE IF YOU NEED IT--

Everything about it- from the lack of Alan Scott being on the cover, to the fact that he hasn't even become Green Lantern yet- leads me to continue to believe that this was intended to just come out in the story, as so far the slow build of this book is to introduce us to all the things that are different about Earth 2, as well as introducing us to the Earth 2 characters who will become Earth 2's new wave of heroes.

Had Didio not been asked that question, and had he not chosen to answer it honestly, leading to the Bleedingcool report and all the other media pickup, then this would have never been a thing.

And I don't think they meant to have it be a thing, at least not outside of comic circles. If they did, would it really have been something called Earth 2 #2 with a Flash on the cover? Not exactly as easy for a pedestrian to find as, say, an Obama and Spider-Man cover, or a poly-bagged Johnny Storm death.

I stand by the idea that this all ended up getting driven by media pick-up more than DC pushing this for headlines. Others may disagree, and so be it, but I feel like when DC wants to push for headlines, they go about it differently then how it played out.

Did it even get much coverage today, the actual day it is on sale? I feel like, by DC confirming who and where last week sometime, most of the coverage peaked then. That is also the last time The Source Blog mentioned it.

Heck, there isn't even anything specifically about it on the front page of DC's website today.

I think the news sites that pushed this did it for their own sensation. Will DC try to benefit from the attention? Well, of course. But if they did all this FOR the attention, I think they could have and would have gone about it differently.

(Also, sort of neither here nor there, but I really like Earth 2 so far-- got the first issue in my shipment yesterday, and I hadn't pre-ordered #2 so I got that off the rack today and read both. Good stuff so far.)
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    Shouldn't that be Earth F for Faaaabuloussssss?
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    And here is some angry reaction to gays in comics from the organization One Million Moms
    http://sciencefiction.com/2012/05/24/one-million-moms-call-arms-gay-characters-comics/
    On Bleeding Cool, someone already outed One Million Moms as a branch of the wisdom of Don Wildmon... look him up.
    I am very conservative, but automatically disavow anything this moron is involved in.
    I am ashamed that Don Wildmon is from my home state. He makes the entire state of Mississippi look bad. Either him or his father are the ones that got that great Might Mouse cartoon taken off the air back in the 90s.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I really think DC didn't want to lose an existing gay character out of the universe by eliminating Obsidian. So to keep from taking a step backwards they just transferred his role to his Dad Alan Scott which seems both an appropriate and respectful way of maintaining that diverse presence.
  • Options
    Just wondering what will happen when DC eventually merge their new universe with their old universe. Talk about confusion.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Just wondering what will happen when DC eventually merge their new universe with their old universe. Talk about confusion.
    He'll be bi.
  • Options
    After reading #2 I think it was meant to be a big reveal that got spoiler'd.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I hope they don't do it. DC's history is enough of a damn mess without adding ANOTHER Universe merging to the table. It has pretty much killed the Legion and Hawkman. The books may be good, but they are just scorched Earth, IMHO, and I hope they don't try another reboot to the series...