Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Comics To Switch The Sexual Orientation Of An Established Character

Someone's going to catch the gay!

(and to clarify, yes this is a link to a bleedingcool article, but it's not a rumor. It's a report from a Q&A at a con)

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/20/dc-comics-to-switch-established-characters-sexual-orientation-soon/

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I can't help but be curious about who it is.

I'm sure I'll find out as soon as it hits. Pics and stories will be all over.
  • Options
    maximglorymaximglory Posts: 16
    Hopefully it will be Darkseid
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Hopefully it will be Darkseid
    That would be pretty hot.
  • Options
    I can't help but be curious about who it is.

I'm sure I'll find out as soon as it hits. Pics and stories will be all over.
    I bet you are CURIOUS, Bazinga!

I bet it's one of the Bat family.
  • Options
    C'mon, it's obvious.

It'll be be Guy Gardner.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm not a fan of this sort of thing. I'd rather see a new gay character than have them change an old one. Although I'd take this further and say I'm not a fan of changing race, gender, etc either. Be original and come up with someone new.

If you want the Atom(for example) to be gay..then great..create a gay character and tell a really cool story about how they got the powers and the costume.

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I'm placing my bets on Lobo. He already looks like the leather guy in the Village People
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm not a fan of this sort of thing. I'd rather see a new gay character than have them change an old one. Although I'd take this further and say I'm not a fan of changing race, gender, etc either. Be original and come up with someone new.

If you want the Atom(for example) to be gay..then great..create a gay character and tell a really cool story about how they got the powers and the costume.

We'll see, but it could be that it ends up being an established character whose sexuality was never established. So we only assumed them to be straight as we were never told otherwise. We'll see.

(I doubt if that is the case, but it is possible.)

EDIT- I re-read the quote from the panel, and they specifically said "previously straight". So forget that last part.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Groan. eye-roll. sigh.
  • Options
    glandgland Posts: 17
    Some are speculating it could be Alan Scott. I wouldn't mind that.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I don't know enough about Alan Scott to have a comment on that one. The speculation I saw on the Bleeding Cool thread leans toward Tim Drake with the only reason given seeming to be that he was obsessed with cloning Superboy when he was dead because apparently having a friend who means a lot to you obviously means you're gay for that friend.

As you can tell by my levels of snark, I don't see it.
  • Options
    Sounds like DC is gonna listen to Grant Morrison.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/26/batman-gay-grant-morrison-superhero-comics_n_1456878.html
    I had forgotten about that article from a week or so ago. Shocked it seemed to have gone unnoticed.

BTW Fuck Grant Morrison
  • Options
    edited May 2012

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/26/batman-gay-grant-morrison-superhero-comics_n_1456878.html
    I had forgotten about that article from a week or so ago. Shocked it seemed to have gone unnoticed.

BTW Fuck Grant Morrison
    I think that post got lost on the way to Newsarama.

If you don't like the sort of intentionally provocative thing Morrison might say to a Playboy interviewer about Batman, why read the interview? You can probably guess at the sort of thing you're going to get. And if those sorts of things are going to get you mad at him, are you not just taking his bait?
  • Options
    I don't know enough about Alan Scott to have a comment on that one. The speculation I saw on the Bleeding Cool thread leans toward Tim Drake with the only reason given seeming to be that he was obsessed with cloning Superboy when he was dead because apparently having a friend who means a lot to you obviously means you're gay for that friend.

As you can tell by my levels of snark, I don't see it.
    Regarding the Tim Drake guess, if the Bleedingcool report from the panel is correct, it is a character they are about to reintroduce. Tim Drake is already established in the New 52, so I can't see him as a character that is about to be reintroduced.
  • Options
    ravenraven Posts: 41
    edited May 2012
    bunker of teen titans is gay, so there is a love interest for red robin
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    It will probably be Wally West.
  • Options
    *inserts inane Pied his Piper joke*

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    The way they've treated him the last 5 years, he's probably coming back as a Star Trek fanfic writing furry.
  • Options

BTW Fuck Grant Morrison
    I think that post got lost on the way to Newsarama.

If you don't like the sort of intentionally provocative thing Morrison might say to a Playboy interviewer about Batman, why read the interview? You can probably guess at the sort of thing you're going to get. And if those sorts of things are going to get you mad at him, are you not just taking his bait?
    I didnt seek out the article. I cant remember where or how but I simply stumbled upon it online. I dont remember it mentioning the author either... I just couldnt resist clicking the headline "Batman is gay" or (whatever it read). I say screw Morrison for being "intentionally provocative". Not because of anything he Nec. says.
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    I hate this kind of stuff. It will seem forced.

Its reeks of "Hey, comics need to be relevant! That whole LGBT thing is a hot topic...... lets make Bruce Wayne a cross dresser."

They get some main stream press out of it...... people will react........ and then they have to find something else to glum onto to make their work seem "relevant".

I can't wait until a local Fox affiliate shows up at a playground to ask parents and grandparents what they think of a gay character in Superman. Then interview a 7 year old about it. 8-|

And honestly, this topic.... they're 25 to 30 years late to the party.

• Options
    hmmm Clark and Jimmy getting it on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I hate this kind of stuff. It will seem forced.

Its reeks of "Hey, comics need to be relevant! That whole LGBT thing is a hot topic...... lets make Bruce Wayne a cross dresser."

They get some main stream press out of it...... people will react........ and then they have to find something else to glum onto to make their work seem "relevant".

I can't wait until a local Fox affiliate shows up at a playground to ask parents and grandparents what they think of a gay character in Superman. Then interview a 7 year old about it. 8-|

And honestly, this topic.... they're 25 to 30 years late to the party.

And, of course, if it were as ridiculous as making Bruce Wayne a crossdresser, it would be nothing but a stunt. (And, yes, I know you were exaggerating for effect.) And I hear what you are saying about how some or much of the media will cover things like this.

And I agree with you that the idea of gay characters is definitely old news. 30 years late to the party, as you say. So, at a time when they universe of characters is being updated in many ways, is it not the time to make their characters more in line with the modern audience? It would seem that the alternative would be to maintain the status quo, have your universe be a continuity museum rather than a place to tell current stories to a modern audience... and become even later to the party.

Though, sadly, even though it is old news in the real world, it will still be news in the world of superhero fiction because there still seems to be a desire to have that world be conserved to some past idea. A lot of media seize on it and make hay of it because they know some of their readers will still think that all of this is funnybooks for kids, and they know such reporting will also fill their inexpensive entertainment news posts with comments arguing the other side of that, and that comics aren't just for kids. And, hey, it is all traffic to their site, so who cares that it was never worth reporting on in the first place? Rinse and repeat. But I think, as comics fans, we are used to the medium being misunderstood. Or willfully misinterpreted to make hay. So it goes.

Moving away from how this will be covered and to talk about what the comics might actually be like-- will it come off forced? Maybe. It all depends on the execution in the work itself. So that remains to be seen.

As for whether you should just create new characters, as some have suggested, rather than change the sexuality of a character when introducing a new version of them in a new universe-- I think that is a tough one. I certainly see the argument on either side. The downside of making a new character that is gay is, first and foremost I think, that it is simply a toxic market for new characters of any kind. So I sort of don't blame them for rarely launching new characters (gay or straight) because as an audience we keep telling them over and over with our dollars that we don't want new characters.

And a new, gay character runs the risk of not only getting lost in the shuffle, but I would say might have even more risk of having their entire reason for being created be their sexuality.

Now, on the other side, changing the sexuality of an established character can also run the risk of that entirely defining the new version of the character to some readers. But, at least, in this market there might be enough retailer and reader support for a known property to stick around and give it enough of a chance to show the reader that the character isn't only that.

In a way, I think Kathy Kane (sp?) Batwoman ended up being the best of both worlds-- she was a Bat character, so there is an interest there to give her a chance, but she was a new person. In a way, Northstar was great execution, because Byrne created him as a gay character, but many readers just assumed he was straight because they weren't told differently.

I don't think there is a perfect way to go about doing this, and I grant it is a complicated issue, and good luck to them. The way it will be covered and speculated on probably won't help. But there will be times when updating a universe of characters mostly created 40 to 80 years ago will require some choices that might feel forced. But I think the alternative is to just maintain a museum piece.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    What's to freak about? Batwoman's gay. Bunker is gay. Isn't there one other out there who's gay as well?

They're here! They're queer! We've gotten used to it, already! :)

/Not news is still not news.
    //It's Ambush Bug, btw...
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    //It's Ambush Bug, btw...
    Nah. Ambush bug is a plushie.
  • Options
    "And, of course, if it were as ridiculous as making Bruce Wayne a crossdresser"

How do we know he's not dressed as a female bat, the capes a bit tradge drag. That would strike fear in to those cowardly superstitious criminals.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Since most superheroes are god-like beings I'm surprised there haven't been more bisexual characters from the start. Just look at Greek and Roman mythology. What are conventions to a Super being?

• Options
    ChrisSnellChrisSnell Posts: 34
    I'm guessing if you've read the most recent issue of Justice League (#9 is it?), I think you could make a point for that character being Wonder Woman...
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    edited May 2012
    David D - I agree with everything you're saying - however, for me - Its not about a character being gay.... I could care less. To me its comes across as trendy and trying to be relevant for the sake of being relevant. It has more potential to come across as demeaning - regardless of the issue. I have little faith in the creators pulling it off. Age has made me cynical. :)

Am I the only person that thinks Batwoman is a major character in the DC Universe?

• Options
    peedmyselfpeedmyself Posts: 105
    I'm guessing if you've read the most recent issue of Justice League (#9 is it?), I think you could make a point for that character being Wonder Woman...
    Comic Book Queers did a podcast recently on how Wonder Woman's fanbase was largely gay (I have no idea how true that is, but I guess it's possible) and that they weren't happy that the new 52 WW has been written more for hetero audiences. I've thought that this WW series was by far the most interesting that I've seen, so they may be on to something there. If DC thinks they can make both audiences happy by giving Diana a shot of gayness, then you could be right about that. I haven't got to JL 9 yet, so I have no opinion on what happened there!