Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Comics To Switch The Sexual Orientation Of An Established Character

Comments

• Options
    I personnally think in this day and age something like this is even news,just seems like a jump on the bandwagon after Obama okayed it.Stick to telling good stories and leave the sensationalism to the rags.
    I got to agree. I don't live in the States but as soon as Obama okayed it my government started to think about changing things here.

Really is a bandwagon thing.
  • Options
    Now if a character was into bestiality or necrophilia that would be news,but 'gaying'up a character just to make news shows lack of creativity.Even marvel put out that northstar is getting married,'yawn'.
    But at least Northstar was gay before it was cool.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Bandwagon or not, it has the opportunity to broaden the universe & add more depth to a male character in a similar fashion to Batwoman if handle properly. Like I said before, I will be interested to see who it is.

Matthew
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Apparently Jim Parsons just came out. In Big Bang Theory, he always wears that Flash shirt. Wally West is the Flash. I feel like this is solid math. Just sayin
  • Options
    FoneBoneFoneBone Posts: 52
    couldn't it be John Constantine?
    Darn! - didn't realize that Constantine's bisexuality has already been established years ago.

well, he was based on Sting. :P
    And he is from England and involved in the supernatural. It seems, atleast on Torchwood, that he would therefor be bisexual.
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    What ever makes news or sells comics.
  • Options
    But at least Northstar was gay before it was cool.
    It's always been cool, straight is just common.

:)
  • Options
    Gay is the new straight.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I have figured it out. It all makes sense now.

Bat Cow Is Gay!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    DC has had a black Green Lantern, a female Robin, an Asian Batgirl, an Asain Atom, a gay Batwoman, etc ...and in every case they created a new character. I just don't see why they don't do the same thing here.
  • Options
    I have figured it out. It all makes sense now.

Bat Cow Is Gay!
    Not looking good for Ace the Bat Hound is it!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited May 2012
    DC has had a black Green Lantern, a female Robin, an Asian Batgirl, an Asain Atom, a gay Batwoman, etc ...and in every case they created a new character. I just don't see why they don't do the same thing here.
    Because three out of five of your examples were commercial failures and no longer exist.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited May 2012
    I'm not looking to sidebar here, but I like how Obama seems to be getting credit for this. Over the weekend, a buddy & I were talking about the upcoming election. When he was telling me why I was wrong that we're "between a rock & a hard place" with the candidate options, I had to stop him when he got to the bin Lafen kill. "Bin Laden = Boogie Man" theory aside, I can only give him credit for the kill under his watch. There's no indication Obama went all Hannibal Smith with the strategy, than all Rambo with the mission. That would've been cool though.

Basically, I can give him credit for some things, but this would be another example of people reaching for a PR spin.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    It'll be Bat Lash.

Then Marvel will respond with Rawhide Kid... oh wait.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Northstar seems to be getting all the gay cred for marvel so I just wanted to bring up Striker from Avengers Academy, and Ultimate Colossus

well and Ultimate Northstar

Still say it's Joker
  • Options
    I wonder if anyone has accused the guy who asked Didio the question of being a DC plant. Otherwise the no one would have known about this until the issue came out. It's the comic book press that took the answer and ran wild with it.
    Not a plant.

From the horse's mouth...
  • Options
    Still say it's Joker
    Have we ever firmly established the Jokers sexuality in recent years, does he really have one? OK we have Harley but she's always chasing him like a psychotic fag hag.

I've never really seen him as a sexual character the way he's been portrayed in recent years, what's other peoples take on him?
  • Options
    Still say it's Joker
    Have we ever firmly established the Jokers sexuality in recent years, does he really have one? OK we have Harley but she's always chasing him like a psychotic fag hag.

I've never really seen him as a sexual character the way he's been portrayed in recent years, what's other peoples take on him?
    I might have phrased it a bit more delicately, but yes, I've always seen Joker's obsession with Batman as having a "romantic" edge to it.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Someone had to post it...
    Can "papa spank" be far behind?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited May 2012
    Still say it's Joker

I haven't heard someone say "fag hag" since hearing "The Message", by Grandmaster Flash.

I don't even know what that means.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169

Both groups of people exist. And while I do agree that it would be insulting to gays if every gay character was written as a flamboyant flamer, it would also be unrealistic if none of them were.

Shameless plug time, but it's on topic, so why not... We interviewed Phil Jimenez earlier this week on Legion of Substitute Podcasters, and, among many very interesting things he had to say, he made a great case for why the old DC character Extrano (from Millenium) isn't necessarily a bad sterotype based on exactly what you mentioned above. You can hear it here.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I like Phil Jimenez. I'll have to check that out. Thanks.
  • Options
    Looks like the current buzz is on Alan Scott - http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/24/will-dcs-original-green-lantern-alan-scott-be-reintroduced-as-a-gay-man/

If that is true, I'm not surprised. Alan Scott=Miles Morales in that DC gets the "Green Lantern is gay" headlines without most people even knowing that it isn't the "real" Green Lantern. Alternate Universes have become the comic book world's "separate but equal" ghettos.

With that said though, I posted the question in another thread and never got an answer. I can't think of any big budget action movie with a male gay character that's not played as comic relief (or a villain - although I can't even really think of that either) so even this puts the comics world ahead of the movie world in diversity.

And I know it's wrong, but the first comment under that Bleeding Cool article made me laugh in an immature Beavis and Butt-Head kind of way.
  • Options
    With that said though, I posted the question in another thread and never got an answer. I can't think of any big budget action movie with a male gay character that's not played as comic relief (or a villain - although I can't even really think of that either) so even this puts the comics world ahead of the movie world in diversity.
    Dumbledore. ;)
  • Options
    OK, you got me on that one.

HOWEVER.... Dumbledore's gayness was never really clearly stated on-screen or in-book and he was only outed by the author after the book series had already concluded. So while you did get one that I didn't think of, it still isn't quite the same as what I was picturing (which is probably why I didn't think of it).
  • Options
    OK, you got me on that one.

HOWEVER.... Dumbledore's gayness was never really clearly stated on-screen or in-book and he was only outed by the author after the book series had already concluded. So while you did get one that I didn't think of, it still isn't quite the same as what I was picturing (which is probably why I didn't think of it).
    And why I used the winking smiley.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    If its Alan Scott or Wally West, than it ranks right up there with the BS from the post-Return of Bruce Wayne Bat-verse. Batman has a son...but he's not with Batman, but with "Batman" because Dick Grayson is a better role model for the kid. This way you keep the character & can still get a solo Batman; out of sight, out of mind!

M
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

Maybe not the kind of big budget action movies you have in mind but there are some awesome action flics with gay characters : Paul Smecker (Willem Dafoe) in The Boondock Saints plays a badass FBI agent or Sonny Wortzik (Al Pacino) in Dog Day Afternoon who robs a bank to finance his boyfriends sex-change. What about Gay Perry (Val Kilmer) in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - quite gay but also a no-nonsense private eye. And the best thing about The Mexican was Leroy (James Gandolfini) the gay but cold-blooded killer.

Sure those are not huge summer blockbusters - but still quite legendary movies that treat their gay characters intelligently. And I'm sure there are many more out there.
  • Options
    "DC,S flash is gay!'you'll see.